HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall Fs Volpatti, Bolduc, Shirokov, D Tanev, G Lack (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=913737)

Winroba 05-13-2011 11:41 AM

Canucks recall Fs Volpatti, Bolduc, Shirokov, D Tanev, G Lack

Canucks recall G Eddie Lack, D Chris Tanev, W Sergei Shirokov, W Aaron Volpatti and C Alex Bolduc from Manitoba Moose.

From Sekeres

vadim sharifijanov 05-13-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winroba (Post 33022590)
Canucks recall G Eddie Lack, D Chris Tanev, W Sergei Shirokov, W Aaron Volpatti and C Alex Bolduc from Manitoba Moose.

From Sekeres

in other news, keith ballard sent down to manitoba to help clean out the locker room.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan 05-13-2011 11:53 AM

Volpatti might see a bit of time on the 4th line if Glass/Oreo fail to bring the heat.

Eddy Punch Clock 05-13-2011 11:55 AM

Schroeder maybe not in Canucks future plans as much anymore?

Would Parent have had to clear waivers to be called up?

Winroba 05-13-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock (Post 33022811)

Not worth the risk, he'd be on our cap next year if he was.

Plus, SJS may pick him up just to screw with us :laugh:

Barney Gumble 05-13-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan (Post 33022769)
Volpatti might see a bit of time on the 4th line if Glass/Oreo fail to bring the heat.

Glass has been failing since forever. I actually would prefer even Aaron Rome in the 4th line spot over him.

CCF 05-13-2011 12:00 PM

Would have liked to see Rypien up. He's been a part of this team for a long time and even just to have him around would be nice.

Anodyne 05-13-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCF (Post 33022894)
Would have liked to see Rypien up. He's been a part of this team for a long time and even just to have him around would be nice.

I agree, but I'm sure they can still have him around behind the scenes without calling him up.

xtr3m 05-13-2011 12:10 PM

Rypien had a knee surgery.

Eddy Punch Clock 05-13-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelsson uhhh (Post 33023023)
I agree, but I'm sure they can still have him around behind the scenes without calling him up.

Yeah, I forgot about RR. Would be a feel good story to have had called him up.

btw- Happy 1000th. I will be joining you shortly.

Placebo Effect 05-13-2011 12:15 PM

No Schroeder is quite surprising.

And yes, Parent needs waivers. Rypien would as well but since he is a UFA it would be pointless for any team to claim him unless they wanted first dibs to sign him. That and, as mentioned, he had knee surgery. What's weird was there was speculation Bolduc would be needing shoulder surgery for a torn labrum as well. Anyways, it's not necessarily the case that the Canucks would call up all players at one time. Maybe Schroeder wanted some time away from the ice or something and will be called up later. They've done it in past years calling up more players at different times.

Kickassguy 05-13-2011 12:16 PM

I thought Bolduc had (yet another) torn labrum.

Barney Gumble 05-13-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spixel (Post 33023148)
What's weird was there was speculation Bolduc would be needing shoulder surgery for a torn labrum as well.

Guy has a tendancy to get hurt (he's like the forward version of Salo). So even if he isn't currently injured, it's just a matter of time before he is hurt. Just unlucky.

Placebo Effect 05-13-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble (Post 33023203)
Guy has a tendancy to get hurt (he's like the forward version of Salo).

Well it's mostly stemming from his shoulder separation. And, IIRC, once you separate it once it is really use to happen again. Not sure how much a torn labrum is related to a separated shoulder. So, unlike Salo, most of his injuries were basically caused because of his fight with Scott. But yes he is unfortunately pretty injury prone, Rypien was worse though. The high ankle sprain was just unlucky.

tantalum 05-13-2011 12:24 PM

I figured those guys would be the call ups.

Lack for goaltending insurance.

The rest are guys who received NHL time this year and on some level played effective games in the NHL. Guys who were around the team and presumably fit in.

Someone like Schroeder hasn't been with the team at all this year and struggled in the AHL. No point having him around as he wouldn't be able to bring his game anywhere near the needed level for NHL playoffs. It;s not that he isn't in future plans (he may or may not be) but that he doesn't bring anything of importance to the team right at this time. At this time of year there is no point having guys called up to just hang around. You want guys who can have a chance to step into the lineup if called upon.

Placebo Effect 05-13-2011 12:26 PM

It's not about having him needed in the playoffs, it's about having him around the playoff environment to see what it takes.

tantalum 05-13-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spixel (Post 33023321)
It's not about having him needed in the playoffs, it's about having him around the playoff environment to see what it takes.

He needs to first get to a level that is closer to the NHL. He isn't remotely at that point. At training camp he saw what it takes to make the NHL...something he didn't come close to doing. During the season he saw what it takes to stay an AHL lineup full time...something he didn't do. Once a player gets close to the level or is arguably at an NHL level (like Tanev), that is when you give them a glimpse of what it takes to do well in the playoffs. Not when the guy can't even stay in an AHL lineup full time.

Further to that, they have a tight room. It makes sense not to bring guys, who have never been in that room, into that room.

This is not a team collectively getting their feet wet in the playoffs. This is a veteran team looking and on some level expecting to win a cup.

This year, it isn't about teaching. It's about doing.

VanEric 05-13-2011 02:11 PM

All the guys recalled (minus Lack) are the guys who played games this year for the Canucks.

Northbad 05-13-2011 03:22 PM

More competition for Ballard. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tanev get the nod ahead of him if it comes down to it.

Mr. Canucklehead 05-13-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northbad (Post 33026832)
More competition for Ballard. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tanev get the nod ahead of him if it comes down to it.

Actually wouldn't surprise me either. The coaching staff seem to really, really like Tanev (no love for Ballard who was his D-Partner, though).

SomeoneGreat 05-13-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 33026852)
Actually wouldn't surprise me either. The coaching staff seem to really, really like Tanev (no love for Ballard who was his D-Partner, though).

Not more than Rome, unfortunately.

JUMBOcanuck 05-13-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat (Post 33027512)
Not more than Rome, unfortunately.

If I recall, Rome sat a number of games where Tanev - Ballard was the bottom pairing, not that I really think Tanev will get any games in during the playoffs, but it wouldn't be a total shocker.

JannikAtTheDisco 05-13-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanEric (Post 33025340)
All the guys recalled (minus Lack) are the guys who played games this year for the Canucks.

Exactly what I was going to say, these guys have all played roles on the Canucks this year and it'll probably be nice for the guys to have some more familiar faces around giving them support. And Lack is obviously a safety net in case on of the two goalies goes down like Schneids did against Chicago.

David71 05-13-2011 06:50 PM

i wanna see a line of volpatti/oreo/bolduc? fast 4th line bang/crash

Aquiace 05-13-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock (Post 33022811)

Emphasis on future. Schroeder has admitted he needs more development in the AHL.

He'll be fine for us, but not for another 2-3 seasons.