HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Fights (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Video - Derek Boogaard Tribute Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=913950)

starsfan24 05-13-2011 10:19 PM

- Derek Boogaard Tribute Thread

R.I.P Big Man.

JeffMangum 05-13-2011 10:22 PM

Wraparounds 05-13-2011 10:26 PM

That slap shot goal will live in infamy for me.

Dylonus 05-13-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraparounds (Post 33033128)
That slap shot goal will live in infamy for me.

I remember watching that on Versus and when he wound up for that shot all I could think of is "is he actually going to score!?"

I literally jumped over my couch in excitement. Awesome to see a big man like him get an open ice laser like that.

R.I.P. Boogaard. You were by far my favorite tough guy :cry:

Killahpunk 05-13-2011 10:40 PM

Too young!

GKJ 05-13-2011 11:24 PM

gotmonte 05-13-2011 11:26 PM

Good stuff. May you rest in eternal peace.

Ended his career on a high note (A Ranger) minus the concussion of course :(

Rest in Peace my good man. Rest in peace :(

Live in the Now 05-13-2011 11:33 PM

During the third period in a game that wasn't a blowout!

gotmonte 05-14-2011 12:36 AM

OH MY GOD! I had NO CLUE this poor poor man passed away!

I am in TOTAL SHOCK. I can not believe it

Rest In Peace, Mr. Boogard. Rest in peace :(

So damn sad! :( :( :(

SoundwaveIsCharisma 05-14-2011 02:08 AM

One of my favourite Boogaard related moments.

mooseOAK* 05-14-2011 01:17 PM

A tribute to actions that may have led to Boogaard's early death.

A little early don't you think?

straka91* 05-14-2011 01:38 PM

Damn, R.I.P. Sad day for NHL fight fans. Way way to young. :(

qwertyaas 05-14-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK (Post 33039522)

More of a tribute to a guy living his dream and doing what he loved to do.

gotmonte 05-14-2011 09:08 PM

unfortunately, Derek was in a substance abuse Program. THAT may have been his downfall. I doubt the concussion had anything to do with his unfortunate untimely death.

This thread was about glorifying the man.

Its like this. I may get shot while I am at work, but that shouldnt stop my union from putting out a video tribute of me fighting crime. Thats what I love to do. Fight crime. Fight the bad guys. If one of them bums kills me, it still wouldnt change the fact I loved fighting crime.

Ivan13 05-15-2011 05:50 AM

R.i.p.

The Expert 05-15-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

That's a pretty big and unnecessary assumption. So if it didn't, this thread is okay? Honestly of all the threads to take issue with, give me a break.

PJ StockBB 05-15-2011 11:40 AM

that slap shot goal was awesome. really sad news he passed away, he was one of the toughest guys in the history of the league.......R.I.P.

Elvis Presley 05-15-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Just get out. Close the thread and don't open it again, please.

My contribution:

WeezyHabFan 05-15-2011 02:24 PM

R.I.P. Derek Boogaard thoughts and prayers go out to his family in this tough time...

Zdeno33Lucic 05-15-2011 04:25 PM

R.I.P big man, you had some heart!

:(

gotmonte 05-15-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis Presley (Post 33054170)
Just get out. Close the thread and don't open it again, please.

My contribution:

now THAT is AWESOME!

(THE HELMET BUSTING THAT IS!)

starsfan24 05-21-2011 02:47 PM

His death was ruled accidental. Just saying.

RIP

Wagiblues 06-13-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Right - Seems N-American Hockey tends to more and more violence and "wrestling" - but i love Icehockey as a game - and i wish the players not to get injured.
May be i am oldstyle loving the play and technic - not the fights

keslers pup 06-13-2011 05:34 PM

R. I. P.

straka91* 07-23-2011 08:52 AM

Not a video but dont think this is new thread worthy.

With the recent issues with Boogies brother I might as well post this. Its John Scott's relection on the situation, sounds like player(s) knew before his death that he was having issues. Such a tragedy.
Quote:

"He had a drug addiction he battled with, and it got the better of him," Scott said. "He had a bad night out and had a couple too many drinks and too many pills, I guess. He'd been dodging bullets for a while, and he finally couldn't beat it. It's sad. He struggled with it."

Scott saw that struggle firsthand and how Boogaard's life had begun to deteriorate.

"He had shoulder surgery (in July 2009), and I don't know if he got hooked on drugs then," Scott said. "His personality changed, and I think that's kind of where it started. Someone should have stepped in maybe then and said something, but I think he hid it well. He was such a big guy, and you don't really notice it when someone's out of it unless you really paid attention to him. I roomed with him, so I kind of saw some of the effects.

"He just kind of became really introverted. He didn't really go out anymore and didn't hang out with the guys. You didn't really see him that much. The only time I saw him was at the rink or when we worked out. He wasn't outgoing like he used to be."

At 6-foot-7, Boogaard was an imposing and strong-willed man. Scott, who had lost a cousin to suicide after a battle with drugs a decade earlier, wasn't sure how to approach Boogaard about his addiction.

"It was tough to say something to him," said Scott, adding that he never saw Boogaard taking drugs. "He was such an imposing guy. I had just met him the year prior, and I'm not going to be like, 'Hey, why are you doing this?' I'm not going to judge him. I don't think it was a huge problem then, but it probably led to stuff down the road."

Added into the equation are the pressures facing enforcers in the NHL. Boogaard had 70 fights during his 277-game career. Scott, who is the protector of Hawks teammates, knows well what that can do the psyche.

"I don't think people understand the nerves and the kind of mindset that fighters go through," Scott said. "I've stayed up nights not sleeping a wink because I know I'm going to fight someone the next day. It's one of those situations where it's not natural to go out and fight every day or to have that constant threat of a fight, even though it might not come. … Some guys might not be able to sleep, and they take some stuff to help them sleep. It adds to it, but I don't think it was the main factor (in Boogaard's struggles)."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2603843.story