HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Team Board Mock Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=914589)

Hasbro 05-16-2011 03:21 AM

Team Board Mock Draft

This will be a poll moving to each team's board for the corresponding pick in the draft.

Who will the Rangers draft?

1 :edmonton Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Red Deer (WHL)

2 :avs Adam Larsson, D, Skelleftea (SEL)

3 :panthers Gabriel Landeskog, LW, Kitchner (OHL)

4 :devils Sean Couturier, C, Drummondville, (QMJHL)

5 :isles Jonathan Huberdeau, C, St. John (QMJHL)

6 :sens Ryan Strome, C, Niagara (OHL)

7 :thrashers Mika Zibanejad, C, Djurgarden (SEL)

8 :cbj Ryan Murphy, D, Kitchner (OHL)

9 :bruins Dougie Hamilton, D, Niagara (OHL)

10 :wild Joel Armia, RW, Assat (SM-liiga)

11 :avs Duncan Seimens, D, Saskatoon (WHL)

12 :canes Jamieson Oleksiak, D, Northeastern (Hockey East)

13 :flames Mark Scheifele, C, Barrie (OHL)

14 :stars : Mark McNeill, C, Prince Albert (WHL)

15 :rangers :confused:

JeffMangum 05-16-2011 03:22 AM

With the remaining choices, Sven Bartschi.

racer90 05-16-2011 05:58 AM

centers go fast. i voted for Jaskins though

EuroFlair 05-16-2011 06:34 AM

I don't know many of the listed prospects but I would like too see a pure sniper been drafted in the first round.

And please don't do like last year, McIlrath before Cam Fowler. :shakehead

NYR425 05-16-2011 06:43 AM

With the importance of the draft now a days, you can not reach for need. At this point with the players left on the board if I was the Rangers I would trade down 5 spots or so and grab another 2nd. With that not being possible in this Mock, have to go Best Player Available and take D- Nathan Beaulieu. I know we have a ton of Defenseman, but can always move 2 defenseman for a top flight forward.

HatTrick Swayze 05-16-2011 07:36 AM

Yikes, that did not break well for us. So it is probably how things will turn out...

Voted for Puempel. Beaulieu is another good option, even though it would be tough to take another Dman the kids is filthy. JT Miller, while not an option in this poll, would be considered as well.

Not a big Bartschi fan, but wouldn't completely hate it either. If that is who Gordie likes so be it.

Propane Nightmares 05-16-2011 07:44 AM

I'm probably in the minority but I love Brandon Saad, his skating is excellent and has a good shot, seems to have a high hockey I.Q, is also physical and has great work ethic, sounds like a "torts kind of guy" :)

N9Y4R 05-16-2011 08:09 AM

Voted Puempel. Hope the first 14 don't go like that.

Trxjw 05-16-2011 08:14 AM

Bartschi for me. BPA, and a highly skilled one at that.

donpaulo 05-16-2011 08:28 AM

I voted Nathan Beaulieu because I have read that he has boom/bust potential. I think NY can take that kind of gamble on the blueline due to the real organizational strength at the position.

Kritikal 05-16-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarSv (Post 33069308)
I don't know many of the listed prospects but I would like too see a pure sniper been drafted in the first round.

And please don't do like last year, McIlrath before Cam Fowler. :shakehead

We didn't take Fowler for several reasons:
1) Already had similar (if not better version) in MDZ
2) Took for need (Didn't need Fowler with MDZ)
3) Clark sees offensive potential in McIlrath on top of his stay-at-home, punishing, crease-clearing game.
4) Fowler's stock dropped a lot (initially supposed to go #4 overall)
5) Fowler had the worst (or almost the worst) +/- in the league last season. Similar to MDZ's +/- (but exponential). Torts would have sent him back to juniors at 9/10 game threshold.

jas 05-16-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan444 (Post 33069520)
Yikes, that did not break well for us. So it is probably how things will turn out...

Voted for Puempel. Beaulieu is another good option, even though it would be tough to take another Dman the kids is filthy. JT Miller, while not an option in this poll, would be considered as well.

Not a big Bartschi fan, but wouldn't completely hate it either. If that is who Gordie likes so be it.

Yeah, I'm really on the Scheifele bandwagon right now...fortunately, most mocks never get much outside of the top three correct.

Wraparounds 05-16-2011 10:02 AM

Sven Bartschi. BPA.

alkurtz 05-16-2011 10:21 AM

How about adding Mark McNeill

azrok22 05-16-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkurtz (Post 33071008)
How about adding Mark McNeill

McNeill was already picked by Dallas at #14.

Bird Law 05-16-2011 10:50 AM

Worst possible scenario.

Grimaldi all the way here AINC. You go with the most talented player with the highest upside of both the big centers are gone.

Bird Law 05-16-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welshy3413 (Post 33069567)
I'm probably in the minority but I love Brandon Saad, his skating is excellent and has a good shot, seems to have a high hockey I.Q, is also physical and has great work ethic, sounds like a "torts kind of guy" :)

Wait, what? Are you talking about the same player?

Saad's skating has gotten worse and worse over the course of the year. He's physical, but not very physical. His hockey IQ is average at best. And his work ethic is one of the worst I have ever seen in a highly ranked player. He's a less talented version of Wolski, if you will.

Torts would eat Saad up and spit him out.

HatTrick Swayze 05-16-2011 10:55 AM

I wouldn't be pissed about Bartschi but he is far down on my list.

Solid WHL performer, no doubt, but I just can't buy in yet. I like his motor and overall skill set (good vision/creativity, great hands, above average shot).

I am not sure how his game will translate, and think he is being a bit overhyped due to his numbers (and also because this is not the deepest year for WHL forwards). Frankly, I don't even think his numbers are that impressive (see Ennis, Tyler for impressive sub-6 ft WHL numbers) and he played on an absolutely stacked Portland team. Sure, he didn't see a ton of time with Nino/Johansen but the fact that they were drawing the other teams' top D and defensive forwards should count for something.

That said he is a skilled player and highly regarded so I will defer to Gordie if he is the choice. But personally I think we can do better.

Bird Law 05-16-2011 10:58 AM

I think we should be looking at Miller hard in this spot, too. The three Americans (Biggs, Grimaldi and Miller) would all be good choices at 15.

eco's bones 05-16-2011 11:06 AM

If McNeill or Schiefele were still on board. At this point in time I wouldn't be sure of the rest. Bartschi looks very good--maybe the guy--as well as Khokhlachev. Other thoughts about Puempel--the most natural goal scorer and Biggs who could potentially be a top 6 power forward--maybe like a Graves. Beaulieu.

Other names I think about are not listed--2 d-men Klefblom and Russo seem really intriguing. That's going a bit off the list but...they both seem to be rising and some of what I've read on Russo remind me of Leetch.

Bird Law 05-16-2011 11:08 AM

We will be drafting Saad just because he is the ONE GUY that I want our team to avoid like the plague.

Swept In Seven 05-16-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donpaulo (Post 33069894)
I voted Nathan Beaulieu because I have read that he has boom/bust potential. I think NY can take that kind of gamble on the blueline due to the real organizational strength at the position.

As much as I agree with the theory, I have to say that due to our current roster we have to take a player on offense, as we are already backloaded and stacked on D. If we had a functioning offensive team then yeah I would agree but we need offense at this point, not defense.

Swept In Seven 05-16-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 33071635)
We will be drafting Saad just because he is the ONE GUY that I want our team to avoid like the plague.

Wouldnt really mind if we draft Saad, I really am indifferent on the guy.

Propane Nightmares 05-16-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 33071408)
Wait, what? Are you talking about the same player?

Saad's skating has gotten worse and worse over the course of the year. He's physical, but not very physical. His hockey IQ is average at best. And his work ethic is one of the worst I have ever seen in a highly ranked player. He's a less talented version of Wolski, if you will.

Torts would eat Saad up and spit him out.

In my opinion he isn't even comparable to Wolski, Saad is very good at battling in the corners and protecting the puck, and plays a solid 2-way game. From what I have seen of his skating he has a very nice long stride, I wouldn't know anything about it getting worse because I can't watch full CHL games, only highlights.

I have read many scouting reports on him and all of them back up what I previously stated. If you want any links to reports I have read on him then I will be happy to share them with you

Revelation 05-16-2011 11:29 AM

I think if the draft shakes out this way, you have to go Kokhlachev as long as its not a big reach. Other posters would be more qualified to comment, but I would rather take the skilled center over a left winger in Bartschi, as long as the value is similar.

Does Kokhlachev have 1st line C upside? I was under the impression that he did. It would be nice to have a 1-2 punch at center with him and Stepan in the future, if they both work out.