HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   OT: Thrashers to Winnipeg (Officially Now The Winnipeg Jets Again) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=915819)

TonySCV 05-19-2011 11:47 PM

Thrashers to Winnipeg (Officially Now The Winnipeg Jets Again)
 
Thrashers to Winnipeg. Globe and Mail (part owned by True North) says it's done. Kypreos says it's done. It's done.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2029179/

https://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/sta...23827241996288

DAkings20 05-19-2011 11:49 PM

Yay Kings players get to enjoy the tropical paradise of Manitoba once a year.

Seriously though sucks for ATL fans. I've also read a bunch of stuff regarding division changes and Dreger was saying that the Winnipeg team will most liekly stay in the Southeast for atleast next season.

Reaper45 05-19-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAkings20 (Post 33141397)

Seriously though sucks for ATL fans. I've also read a bunch of stuff regarding division changes and Dreger was saying that the Winnipeg team will most liekly stay in the Southeast for atleast next season.

Going from Carolina to Florida to Winnipeg sucks. Just not plausible to keep that team in the South East.

etherialone 05-20-2011 12:00 AM

I honestly will have to hear the league announce it before I believe it. Atlanta has had TWO NHL franchises and if they lose this one then maybe just maybe the NHL "braintrust" will finally start using their heads before picking NHL outposts.

So Winnipeg's new arena did the trick. Wow.

I



Hate





Winnipeg.

TonySCV 05-20-2011 12:07 AM

I actually don't mind Atlanta as a market. I thought Nashville was bizarre but look at what's happened there. They'd still be in Atlanta if there was an owner willing to keep the team there, but there are only so many billionaires willing to endure a few years of losses until a team starts winning.

Winnipeg makes Edmonton look cosmopolitan.

Reaper45 05-20-2011 12:19 AM

I've never met anyone who's actually been there that even remotely likes Winnipeg. Someone has already updated Winnipeg's wikipedia to include the "Winnipeg Thrashers".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg

The Tikkanen 05-20-2011 12:23 AM

The only thing I wonder about is how will Winnipeg lure potential free agents? I miss having the Jets in the league, always think of Domi, Housley, Zhamnov and Selanne, sick jerseys but the weather sounds brutal. Winnipeg is going to inherit a team on the brink of being good, wonder how July 1st will go with them back in business.

TonySCV 05-20-2011 12:26 AM

When's the last time the NHL reported a rumor about a club move? http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...d-rr-headlines

etherialone 05-20-2011 12:31 AM

Wow!


Don't forget the greatest Jet of all in Dale Howerchuk. He was one of the smoothest skaters. All right so are they going to make them keep their Trashers name? I hope they get to rename themselves. I always laughed at the name "the Jets" as it seemed to say that people wanted out so bad that the fastest way possible was the best. The term "Gotta Jet" always had a funny meaning to me.

Andrew Knoll 05-20-2011 12:42 AM

It's going to happen and very quickly.

This saves football fans in Buffalo the (further) embarrassment of being the second franchise to go from the United States to Canada. Atlanta doing it twice is something I find funny.

I'd like to see them stick with the Jets logo and colors, always loved those. They should absolutely go with the city name, Winnipeg, over the province name, Manitoba.

I don't fully understand why the NHL has been that much more adamant about the Coyotes staying but I certainly understand their lack of interference here. It was a dead duck. Winnipeg is somewhat of a risky destination but the initial excitement will mask that for a few years at least.

johnjm22 05-20-2011 12:44 AM

I don't know all the details, but I wonder why the league put so much effort into keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix, but didn't do the same for the Thrashers in Atlanta.

etherialone 05-20-2011 12:48 AM

It gives me hope that we might see the Nordique raise their banner again soon though.

That is a day that my family and I will be very happy and proud indeed.

I saw a mock up jersey from a Jets fan the last time this rumor came up and it was gold white and black. It had the most votes by the former Jet fans. Please please please please let this jersey get brought back up again. Everyone should get a chance to see it for its splendor.

Shellz 05-20-2011 12:52 AM

That absolutely sucks. :( So damn depressing.

Blackhawkswincup 05-20-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 33141878)
The only thing I wonder about is how will Winnipeg lure potential free agents? I miss having the Jets in the league, always think of Domi, Housley, Zhamnov and Selanne, sick jerseys but the weather sounds brutal. Winnipeg is going to inherit a team on the brink of being good, wonder how July 1st will go with them back in business.

We get a good test with Andrew Ladd

The Thrashers captain coming off best year of his career is a RFA ,, Some Thrasher fans said some players are already voicing displeasure with prospect of living in Winnipeg

Will be interesting to see if Ladd asks for trade or goes offersheet route. I know he wasn't happy when he was traded by Hawks. He like Versteeg did not want to leave Chicago

KingLB 05-20-2011 01:03 AM

IDK about this move, financially it makes sense for maybe the next decade but after that it hurts the NHL imo.

Leagues are leaning away from the gate driven leagues of the past and much of the money comes through TV contracts (NFL model). And as it stands adding a team in Winnipeg really doesn't add much value to the NHL as those people were going to watch HNIC and TSN regardless...Where as the growth of huge (compared to Winnipeg and most Canadian markets) media markets like ATL/PHO would push those numbers alot more.

The Tikkanen 05-20-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonellisghost (Post 33142170)
It gives me hope that we might see the Nordique raise their banner again soon though.

That is a day that my family and I will be very happy and proud indeed.

I saw a mock up jersey from a Jets fan the last time this rumor came up and it was gold white and black. It had the most votes by the former Jet fans. Please please please please let this jersey get brought back up again. Everyone should get a chance to see it for its splendor.

Will they still allow the fans to smoke inside the arena in Quebec?

Blackhawkswincup 05-20-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLB (Post 33142327)
IDK about this move, financially it makes sense for maybe the next decade but after that it hurts the NHL imo.

Leagues are leaning away from the gate driven leagues of the past and much of the money comes through TV contracts (NFL model). And as it stands adding a team in Winnipeg really doesn't add much value to the NHL as those people were going to watch HNIC and TSN regardless...Where as the growth of huge (compared to Winnipeg and most Canadian markets) media markets like ATL/PHO would push those numbers alot more.

Shortterm this move should be fine but yes we shall see if over long run Winnipeg is prepared to pay the costs to support Jets

Remember given the fact they will have smallest arena in league they may have some pretty pricey tickets

DAkings20 05-20-2011 01:07 AM

The MTS Centre only holds 15,000 for hockey.

Atleast they'll sell the place out

DAkings20 05-20-2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 33142351)
Shortterm this move should be fine but yes we shall see if over long run Winnipeg is prepared to pay the costs to support Jets

Remember given the fact they will have smallest arena in league they may have some pretty pricey tickets

Yeah demand for tickets will be high in the beginning. I could see future problems though if the Thrashjets never get good. Will people still go, who knows?

DAkings20 05-20-2011 01:10 AM

Imagine a guy like Big Buff. Just signed a long extension and in the summer your organization gets shipped off to Winnipeg.

ScoreZeGoals 05-20-2011 01:14 AM

I feel bad for the loyal Thrasher fans out there.

As stated above, I'm not really sure why the NHL bends over backward to try and save the Coyotes yet they are more then willing to move the Thrashers. Very odd.

In the grand scheme they are just moving chess pieces around a rotting chess board. There are just too many teams in markets that can't/wont support them. Contraction is what needs to happen, but thats the ultimate taboo

KopitarFAN 05-20-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAkings20 (Post 33142392)
Imagine a guy like Big Buff. Just signed a long extension and in the summere your organization gets shipped off to Winnipeg.

Seriously. Though I have a hard time sympathizing for millionaire pro athletes.

DAkings20 05-20-2011 01:17 AM

I read in another thread that the reason the Winnipeg team would stay in the Southeast this season is because of the shaddy Coyotes situation. Basically wait a year too see if the coyotes will get moved then do realignment. That makes some sense to me, problem is were are the Yotes gonna move next season? Quebec hasn't even started building an arena yet iirc.

ScoreZeGoals 05-20-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KopitarFAN (Post 33142448)
Seriously. Though I have a hard time sympathizing for millionaire pro athletes.

It's tough to do, but have you ever been to Winnipeg? :laugh:

The Tikkanen 05-20-2011 01:21 AM

I guess if you really don't want to live in Winnipeg you can always move to beautiful, sunny North Dakota.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.