HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speculation: Sean Avery's role 2011-2012 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=916748)

mcsauer2738 05-22-2011 11:01 PM

Sean Avery's role 2011-2012

With Avery's glaring drop off in production this year, we saw him begin to change his game and drop the gloves more often, and often with other good middle weights. Sean knows that scoring 3 goals is not going to warrant him a spot in the line-up so he has to bring other services to the table. The Rangers are in a position this off-season where they will have to make a decision on whether or not to bring in another tough guy to take the fighting load off Prust. This is where Avery comes in. If a tough guy is brought in, that will more or less signify the end of Avery's career on Broadway. I believe Sather/Torts will have a long conversation with Sean before July 1 explaining his new roll on the team as a middle weight rather than a 15-25 guy that he once was. If Avery is on the squad next year look for him to drop the gloves with legit middle weights often and become one of the leagues known middle weights, or else he may be out of a job.

edit: of course auto correct changes role to roll :facepalm:

New York RKY 05-22-2011 11:04 PM

Sean Avery's role is to get Brad Richards here (they're friends apparently).

After that he can go to Guam on vacation because I don't want him here anymore.

mcsauer2738 05-22-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black (Post 33191187)
Sean Avery's role is to get Brad Richards here (they're friends apparently).

After that he can go to Guam on vacation because I don't want him here anymore.

who would you rather have on the 4th line along side boyle and prust? Avery is great forechecker and a pretty good hockey player in his own right, if he can bring another middle weight threat to our team (change in his mindset is all that would take) and provide a little offense we have 4 pretty strong lines.

BlueshirtBlitz 05-22-2011 11:08 PM

Bottom 6 player if a kid can't beat him out.

New York RKY 05-22-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 (Post 33191218)
who would you rather have on the 4th line along side boyle and prust? Avery is great forechecker and a pretty good hockey player in his own right, if he can bring another middle weight threat to our team (change in his mindset is all that would take) and provide a little offense we have 4 pretty strong lines.

Fedotenko by miles.

Or a good young prospect like a Hagelin.

JeffMangum 05-22-2011 11:11 PM

His cap hit is much too high to be a "middleweight". He either focuses on getting back to where he was offensively, or he does not have a spot in the lineup. It's as simple as that, IMO.

mcsauer2738 05-22-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black (Post 33191238)
Fedotenko by miles.

Or a good young prospect like a Hagelin.

im talking 4th liner. Feds and Hagelin would play on 3rd line.

feds-stepan-hagelin is my ideal third line, I'm pretty sure Hagelin plays rw, correct me if I'm wrong.

idk(kreider?)-richards-gabby
dubi-ani-cally
feds-stepan-hagelin
avery-boyle-prust

New York RKY 05-22-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 (Post 33191272)
im talking 4th liner. Feds and Hagelin would play on 3rd line.

feds-stepan-hagelin is my ideal third line, I'm pretty sure Hagelin plays rw, correct me if I'm wrong.

idk(kreider?)-richards-gabby
dubi-ani-cally
feds-stepan-hagelin
avery-boyle-prust

No, Feds would stay on the 4th line because that's where he spent most of the season with Prust and Boyle.

Our 3rd line will probably be something along the lines of Wolski - Stepan - MZA.

mcsauer2738 05-22-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black (Post 33191300)
No, Feds would stay on the 4th line because that's where he spent most of the season with Prust and Boyle.

Our 3rd line will probably be something along the lines of Wolski - Stepan - MZA.

IMO Wolski will be bought out or traded in a salary dump type deal and hagelin will beat out mza in camp.

New York RKY 05-22-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 (Post 33191319)
IMO Wolski will be bought out or traded in a salary dump type deal and hagelin will beat out mza in camp.

I still don't believe that Avery has a role on this team.

In any way shape or form. For the skill set (or lack thereof) he has and the salary he's being paid one could argue he is a bigger waste of space than Wolski (who actually provides some offense).

nyr2k2 05-22-2011 11:56 PM

I'm pretty much done with him. If he could return to form, he'd be a nice player for us. Don't see it happening though, for whatever reason.

Still love Aves, even if he's a shell of what he once was.

Oh, and I fixed the title. ;)

chip chipperson* 05-23-2011 12:12 AM

i dont see any way we keep wolski but get rid of avery. wolski is dead out there and we pay him more money. at least when avery isnt scoring he is still capable of getting 30 assists and noticable in other areas. he played well in the playoffs, if he plays like that next season we have a good line in prust boyle avery

Florida Ranger 05-23-2011 12:14 AM

Connecticut Whale 3rd line grinder.

New York RKY 05-23-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devito1192 (Post 33191965)
i dont see any way we keep wolski but get rid of avery. wolski is dead out there and we pay him more money. at least when avery isnt scoring he is still capable of getting 30 assists and noticable in other areas. he played well in the playoffs, if he plays like that next season we have a good line in prust boyle avery

I still think Wolski can be the more productive player.

Avery didn't really show much offense for long periods of time when he was out there. Personally I saw Wolski at least creating some quality chances.

In my opinion I would MUCH rather have Wolski than Avery (and he's younger).

chip chipperson* 05-23-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black (Post 33192017)
I still think Wolski can be the more productive player.

Avery didn't really show much offense for long periods of time when he was out there. Personally I saw Wolski at least creating some quality chances.

In my opinion I would MUCH rather have Wolski than Avery (and he's younger).

we dont need to rely on avery for offense, we do with wolski which sucks because the guy might be capable of scoring, but lets be honsest he blows hard dick out there.

i see your point but avery also could have had 10+ goals last year, the guy just couldnt finish.

age really shouldn't be brought into it because even though wolski is 24 we are not signing him when he turns 25 to a long term contract.

007 05-23-2011 12:38 AM

Avery can and will drop the gloves when needed (unlike a lot of other pests), but he'll never be a full-on pugilist. It's not his type of game at all.

I actually think that Avery can still be effective and have no problems with his being on the team next season -- in fact, I expect him to have a better season than last.

(It still amazes me to think that I defend the guy nowadays, when several years ago I'd have been happy to see him thrown out of the league. One of those rare cases where familiarity breeds content...)

mcsauer2738 05-23-2011 12:52 AM

I think what also gets overlooked is that although avery has his off-ice shenanigans, he is a leader with his style of play and with the way he plays. He should be the template that all pests abide by which is although he is a pest and annoying as hell on the ice he has never attempted to seriously injury another player. He plays the game very hard, and in my opinion he has rubbed off on Dubinsky to a certain extent. IMO we should at least let him finish out his contract and then next off-season determine whether to bring him back based off of his production. IMO if he puts up 10 goals 20 assists, there will be a small handful of teams interested in his services next summer. The whole "sloppy seconds" has become a thing of the past and Avery is no dumbass he is a PR machine, throughout the year he's going to do alot of good throughout New York to improve his overall image to prolong his career.

silverfish 05-23-2011 12:57 AM

He'll be the third line LWer on this team, opening day next season. He's in a contract year and he knows he's playing for his NHL life and I have full faith he's gonna show up.

We'll see no less than 10/25/150 out of him next season.

And even though he's not defensively responsible the guy is actually a great faceoff man. 62.5% last season in his limiting showings taking faceoffs. Put him at center with some defensively responsible wingers, could accentuate his playmaking ability, 6th among NYR forwards in assists last season.

Book it :yo:

Janerixon 05-23-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black (Post 33191300)

Fedotenko will not be on the 4th line if he comes back. Torts trusts him in all situations and playing him with steps and hagelin provides a smart defensive player who creates offense as well with board work and cycling. Wolski-stepan-zucc line has shown they can create offense but are not solid defensively. Adding fedoteneko and hagelin who is a speedy kid who can score and has some callahan in him sounds like a great 3rd line to me that can be solid in both zones. Avery and prust with Boyle is a solid 4th line that can score, fight and provide energy. I do worry about Avery defensively but if they want the Boyle line to be a shutdown line than you can flip flop Avery and fedotenko, but then I'd worry about the Avery-stepan-hagelin line defensively as well.

Rangers4Life74 05-23-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 (Post 33192395)
I think what also gets overlooked is that although avery has his off-ice shenanigans, he is a leader with his style of play and with the way he plays. He should be the template that all pests abide by which is although he is a pest and annoying as hell on the ice he has never attempted to seriously injury another player. He plays the game very hard, and in my opinion he has rubbed off on Dubinsky to a certain extent. IMO we should at least let him finish out his contract and then next off-season determine whether to bring him back based off of his production. IMO if he puts up 10 goals 20 assists, there will be a small handful of teams interested in his services next summer. The whole "sloppy seconds" has become a thing of the past and Avery is no dumbass he is a PR machine, throughout the year he's going to do alot of good throughout New York to improve his overall image to prolong his career.

Avery a leader because of his style of play?seriously?

we already have a better version of Avery,his name is Prust.Avery isnt needed here anymore.

we already have 1 (leader) who doesnt produce,Drury.we dont need another

n8 05-23-2011 03:49 AM

I'm willing to let anyone impress me in training camp. This time last year, Brian Boyle was an after thought. If he can have a kick ass summer and have the season he had, so can anyone else.

mrjimmyg89 05-23-2011 04:17 AM

I'd love to see him playing with Boyle and Prust. I know Fedotenko is ideal there, but Avery is under contract already and will be working his butt off this offseason to stay in the line-up next season. He'll have to as there will be a lot of younger players coming for his roster spot. Hagelin, Kreider, Weise, Lindberg?, Thomas, and some people who get tryouts, most likely Feds will be trying to get his spot. Now, I'm not saying that those guys will be playing on the 4th line, but if they perform well in camp, they could get a spot on the team, moving someone else into that role.

Our guaranteed wingers for next season are: Callahan, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Prust, and that about it. Wolski will be bought out IMO. Feds will get another tryout, but not a shoe in. Prospal is the same as Feds. EC is signed and will most likely be a healthy scratch or if he plays well in the pre-season, should get a stint in the line-up. Drury is going to play if he isn't bought out. Then there is Avery. We'll also have to see if they can bring someone in via free agency BESIDES Richards. I doubt they'll have much room in cap to do so if they keep Drury and have Richards. Then there is the whole Wade Redden issue. Then there is the trade magician Glen Sather.

As long as Avery can beat out a kid that we put out there in pre-season, he gets a spot. If not, let the kids play or find someone else who can fill in those spots on the roster.

chosen 05-23-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 (Post 33191163)
With Avery's glaring drop off in production this year, we saw him begin to change his game and drop the gloves more often, and often with other good middle weights.

I don't know the stats, but I think the ovberwhelming majority of Avery's fights occurred early in the season. That part of his game disappeared, as well as every other part of his game last season.

Face it, the reasons we discuss Avery at all anymore is that he once was effective a few years ago, he will fight once in a while, he annoyed Brodeur, and he likes to work in the fashion industry. It's never about his recent effectiveness on the Rangers.

RangerBoy 05-23-2011 07:16 AM

Avery's role should be with a different team. The Rangers should buy him out and move on. Torts and Avery are oil and water. Torts says he wants Sean to be Sean but Sean feels Torts won't let Sean be Sean. Not another year of that. A 4th liner with a $2M cap hit? Avery's usefulness as a Ranger is done.

Sean is more concerned with outside activities. His bar. His restaurant. His fashion line. Campaigning for gay marriage. When does hockey become a priority?

http://seanavery.com/uncategorized/lexdray-bags

This is what he cares about.

surf 05-23-2011 07:17 AM

While we worry about Sean,his biggest worry is packing for Jamaica this Thursday.