HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Most popular sport franchise in Philadelphia (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=916873)

bulgaria 05-23-2011 01:48 PM

Most popular sport franchise in Philadelphia

I was wondering which is the most popular franchise in Philadelphia and the area?
It has to be Eagles or Phillies? What is the Flyers place in this rating?
What about the Philadephia Union and 76ers?

Thanks!

Flyersfan139 05-23-2011 02:03 PM

It use to be Eagles hands down but now I really think it is the Phillies. They sell out every game and I see way more Phillies merchandise on the streets then any other team. The Phillies have a lot more of the women and children crowd which from my perspective makes them more popular.

Id rank the teams in terms of popularity as follows

1. Phillies
2. Eagles
3. Flyers
4. Sixers

duffy9748 05-23-2011 02:20 PM

Before the Phillies were good it was probably:

Eagles
Flyers
Phils
Sixers

Outside of a select few cities, baseball is a bandwagon sport. Phillies have probably surpassed the Eagles as top team in the city the last few years. Their management has shown that they are willing to go for it and the city respects that. It was probably a tie until the Phillies brought back Cliff Lee. As of today, I'd rank them:

Phillies
Eagles

Flyers

Sixers

The Union are also becoming pretty popular but only to a select crowd.

El Emperor 05-23-2011 02:31 PM

It really depends on your definition of popularity. If you mean the amount of people on average that actively follow the team, I would say hands down it is the Eagles.

In terms of merchandise showing fan support and what not, I would say both the Phillies AND Flyers have more merchandise being worn by fans, which tells me that the Eagles, while more closely followed by more fans, are still outclassed by the other organizations in terms of fan support for the team.

Even look at offseason talk... besides the first splash of free agency, the Phillies offseason talk never really starts kicking off until spring training. With the Eagles, there is always talk it seems like.

So basically, if you are asking for the amount of people supporting the team, it's the Phillies. If you are asking for sheer numbers of fans the follow the teams, it would probably be the Eagles.

The Sixers unfortunately are in a league that is top heavy in terms of all-stars. Until they get that Kobe Bryant/LeBron James type game changer, they will never have a decent shot of becoming an elite team, not to mention a consistent team.

The Union actually have surprised me. Soccer will probably always be a niche sport in America, but the fan support for the Union in Philly has been very good compared to other cities.

JVR21 05-23-2011 02:52 PM

Right now:

Phillies
Eagles
Flyers
Sixers
Union

Me:
Flyers
Phillies
Eagles
Union
Sixers

The Sixers need to revamp their roster in the worst way. Trade Iguodala and start from scratch if need be. They'll continue to be a stagnant .500 team if they don't get a legitimate star to build around.

JABEE 05-23-2011 03:04 PM

Eagles
Phillies
Flyers
Sixers

It still that way even with the Phillies popularity.

Me:
Flyers
Eagles
Phillies
Sixers

All three of the top three teams are really close for me though.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 05-23-2011 03:23 PM

I'd probably put the Union ahead of the Sixers for popularity, it's gotten that bad for them. I never hear people talk about them, but I know a lot of people that are Union lovers.

I'd also consider jumping the Flyers over the Eagles...if not now, it's getting there.

Phillies are 50% fair weather, but are dominating right now.

Ghost of Downie* 05-23-2011 03:31 PM

Depends if we're talking media popularity or fan popularity...

Fan:

Phillies
Eagles

Flyers

Sixers

If we're going media:

Eagles

Phillies

Flyers
Sixers

JVR21 05-23-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie (Post 33199579)
Depends if we're talking media popularity or fan popularity...

Fan:

Phillies
Eagles

Flyers

Sixers

If we're going media:

Eagles

Phillies

Flyers
Sixers

IDK man, the Flyers get plenty of media time here in Philly.

Sawdalite 05-23-2011 03:56 PM

In South Jersey I agree with the post noting that the Phillies and Flyers apparel worn surpasses the Eagles... and also agree that that is not the determining factor of team ranking in the Metropolitan Area. I must note that there was a steep drop-off of Eagles colors when Vick was signed and the dog fighting counter-culture arose... some of that may be due to many of the events I attend being pet oriented, BUT still holds true in non-pet events also but to a lesser extent.

In South Jersey and South Philly the Flyers are very popular and their colors are worn by many... even more so during long Postseasons when bandwagon jumpers add to the mix. Phillies colors are well represented and very strong among the young couples in particular... Flyers seem strong with females and kids. Sixers colors are rare and can slip by unnoticed often... Eagles have their die-hard base and seem to often be a 'family team affair' and one stronger with older men and at times with the more boisterous crowds... At times they were the loud, step aside here we come, E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! crowd, but that seems to be fading IMO but arises more as the team is doing well... Eagles fans seem to me to be the MOST die hard with many fans living and dying with them and having their life consumed by them... The Eagles are the dominant team in respect to those who want to discuss them on Radio, as the NFL still rules the Sports scene... by far.

That said... it is not to mean it is the way the teams align in standing in Philly. My ranking in pecking order in the Metro Area presently:

Phillies
Eagles
Flyers

Sixers
Union

All lower league sports - Wings, Soul, Kixx, Feedom(?) Women's Teams
... College Basketball/Football intermingled above

FWIW... My personal teams:

Flyers
Phillies

Union

Penn State

Sixers

Big Five

Lower league teams

(Note Eagles dropped off my list completely with the signing of Vick)

Sawdalite 05-23-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 33199758)

But largely due to Comcast owning and airing the Flyers... and with the Sixers that is the only thing that is saving them... IMO.

Notice the drop off with WIP and other radio and local TV station reporting who don't air them.

46zone 05-23-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 33199452)
I'd probably put the Union ahead of the Sixers for popularity, it's gotten that bad for them. I never hear people talk about them, but I know a lot of people that are Union lovers.

I'd also consider jumping the Flyers over the Eagles...if not now, it's getting there.

Phillies are 50% fair weather, but are dominating right now.

The Flyers are never going to pass the Eagles. Not that they need to, the Flyers are very popular anyway.

During football season the Eagles dominate sports talk in the region. I wouldn't suggest that the Phillies are more popular than the Eagles either. Should they fall back to earth in the next couple years, god forbid, the bandwagoners will bail, and, to be honest, the amount of bandonwagoners has turned me off.

My personal list:

Flyers/Eagles
Penn State football

Phillies

...that's it

JohnnyOnTheSpot 05-23-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46zone (Post 33200061)
The Flyers are never going to pass the Eagles. Not that they need to, the Flyers are very popular anyway.

During football season the Eagles dominate sports talk in the region. I wouldn't suggest that the Phillies are more popular than the Eagles either. Should they fall back to earth in the next couple years, god forbid, the bandwagoners will bail, and, to be honest, the amount of bandonwagoners has turned me off.

Well you have to include the bandwagoners for the Phillies since they're going to games and what not. And honestly, the radio domination has more to do with who's talking and the fact that it's football. People like talking football better. I really think the Eagles' stock is dropping.

Ghost of Downie* 05-23-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 33199758)

During their playoff runs, the Flyers and Sixers routinely got 5, maybe 10 minutes each on Daily News Live, the Phillies offense got about 20, and the NFL lockout got 20-30. And don't get me started on most of WIP and 97.5.

Sawdalite 05-23-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 33200087)
Well you have to include the bandwagoners for the Phillies since they're going to games and what not. And honestly, the radio domination has more to do with who's talking and the fact that it's football. People like talking football better. I really think the Eagles' stock is dropping.

All the Phillies straight sellouts, against all teams in all weather, is quite impressive to me.

On radio Flyers fans avoid calling due to lack of knowledge of MOST on air personalities... and lack of any followup calls for those who bother to call. Forget discussing with Eskin who knows zero hockey... most other either don't care or would rather discuss Eagles, Phillies and/or gossip.

JVR21 05-23-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 33199945)
In South Jersey I agree with the post noting that the Phillies and Flyers apparel worn surpasses the Eagles... and also agree that that is not the determining factor of team ranking in the Metropolitan Area. I must note that there was a steep drop-off of Eagles colors when Vick was signed and the dog fighting counter-culture arose... some of that may be due to many of the events I attend being pet oriented, BUT still holds true in non-pet events also but to a lesser extent.

Vick is 6th in the league in jersey sales, ahead of Tom Brady, Clay Matthews, Adrian Peterson, etc. Desean Jackson is 10th. If anything, Vick has boosted the Eagles. There's no question that Vick did awful stuff, but people find it easier to let go the fact that players like Dany Heatley and Ray Lewis committed murder than Vick funded a dogfighting ring.

Sawdalite 05-23-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 33200533)
Vick is 6th in the league in jersey sales, ahead of Tom Brady, Clay Matthews, Adrian Peterson, etc. Desean Jackson is 10th. If anything, Vick has boosted the Eagles. There's no question that Vick did awful stuff, but people find it easier to let go the fact that players like Dany Heatley and Ray Lewis committed murder than Vick funded a dogfighting ring.

Winning changed a lot of peoples minds and yes it meant more in the end with some... but there are still those who were Eagles fans when they won their last Championship in 1960, and not bandwagon fans, who have not let Vicks talent sway them back. I liked Vicks talent prior to what happened and don't deny his great gift to this day... but winning is not all that is important with me so I will not support an organization that is blind to what happened with Vick and cares only for the bottom line... winning which brings them money.

Like it or not, IMO the Eagles have lost support and people wearing their colors because of Vick... As I said they are still number one with their die hard base, but I see their support being not where it was before Vick. Many people left like me... I assume Vick has drawn some also; I'd guess the net is a loss though.

TheLegendkiller 05-23-2011 05:27 PM

People gotta start giving Vick a break. Like seriously. He did his time and is out, let him have another chance. I still don't know how Roethlisberger can get away with stuff but Vick can't. But whatever end rant.

I can see that the amount of people wearing Eagles colors have dwindled but I think because people are growing tired of the Reid era. They traded McNabb and they are nowhere closer to winning anything. I think people are getting tired of that.

Justified 05-23-2011 05:34 PM

It's the Eagles but the Phillies arent to far behind. i think this potential lockout is hurting the Eagles as well as having the same fatass running their team for 12 years.

Sawdalite 05-23-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller (Post 33201412)
People gotta start giving Vick a break. Like seriously. He did his time and is out, let him have another chance. I still don't know how Roethlisberger can get away with stuff but Vick can't. But whatever end rant.

I can see that the amount of people wearing Eagles colors have dwindled but I think because people are growing tired of the Reid era. They traded McNabb and they are nowhere closer to winning anything. I think people are getting tired of that.

He has his break doesn't he? People still have the right to support teams of their choice and I believe the Eagles have lost many followers by signing him.

The thing is that many people have or had put up with many things, such as what you noted, and the Vick signing was what put them over the edge in their decision that enough is enough.

There are many reasons... the Phillies success and the Phillies and Flyers ownership relation with the fans being a major reason... Eagles failure year after year while Lurie and Banner thumb their noses at the fans and put out their hands for more money is another, IMO the popularity of the NFL is what is keeping the Eagles near the top in Philly list... If there is an extended Lockout I believe the Eagles could hurt more by it.

Flyersfan139 05-23-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller (Post 33201412)

Yeah there have been people who have done way worse and do not get near the crap Vick does. The stuff Roethlisberger did is 10x worse and it seems like not many people care.

I guess Phillies fans can be called a little fair weather but ever since they got the new stadium the fan support has been there. Even I had trouble staying interested them at the Vet when during their almost decade run of no playoffs.

46zone 05-23-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 (Post 33201684)
Yeah there have been people who have done way worse and do not get near the crap Vick does. The stuff Roethlisberger did is 10x worse and it seems like not many people care.

Vick is a sociopath and a thug. He and his piece of **** friends were torturing and killing dogs by the dozen. He's a ****ing *******. I don't care if he did his time or not, doesn't erase what he did. When a rapist gets out of jail do you say "Cut him a break, he did his time."? I bet not.

Big Ben is a piece of ****, don't get me wrong, but comparing his alleged crimes to what Vick and his cronies is laughable. Vick and his thug friends were drowning, electrocuting, dismembering and shooting dogs. Vick and Roethlisberger are not comparable.

Sawdalite 05-23-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 (Post 33201684)

I guess Phillies fans can be called a little fair weather but ever since they got the new stadium the fan support has been there. Even I had trouble staying interested them at the Vet when during their almost decade run of no playoffs.

Excuse me but Roethlisberger has yet to have any charges brought up against him and yet has been suspended by the NFL... How is this related to the topic? You speak of chances yet want a person punished for things he not only has not been convicted on, but has not even had enough evidence for a single charge... So much for innocent until proved guilty huh?

Sorry to report: Bottom line is WINNING and YOUR team winning.

WhiskeyBoarder 05-23-2011 06:14 PM

I am only being a little bit facetious but, based solely on merchandise being worn around town, I am convinced that the Phillies are the second most popular team in Washington, D.C., only behind the Capitals - and that's close.

Now, being totally serious, there has not been a day yet that I have failed to see multiple people in D.C. sporting Phillies gear of some sort.

Sorry to diverge from the topic at hand, it just seemed relevant that the Phillies may be more popular in a city other than their home than, say, the 76ers are in Philadelphia.

Flyersfan139 05-23-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 33201914)
Excuse me but Roethlisberger has yet to have any charges brought up against him and yet has been suspended by the NFL... How is this related to the topic? You speak of chances yet want a person punished for things he not only has not been convicted on, but has not even had enough evidence for a single charge... So much for innocent until proved guilty huh?

Sorry to report: Bottom line is WINNING and YOUR team winning.

I guess I should not have brought up Roethlisberger there but I was just going off that other post. Your right I was out of line there.

I still don't think a dog fighting ring is comparable to a rapist. If Vick lives a good life from here on out I think he deserves to be forgiven.