HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Speculation: Paul Stastny (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=917455)

Ivan13 05-25-2011 04:32 AM

Paul Stastny

First of all I want to say that I personally don't want Stastny to be traded (unless that trade gets us significant upgrades in goal and D), nor do I think he's been offered to other teams.

And now the fun part, if he ends up on the market what do you think he would fetch us. I looked up other teams rosters, and I think that only possible destinations for him are Preds, NYR, LAK, STL (because that's his hometown, but i don't see any interesting parts for us there - no goalie or d-men), and ATL.

My reasoning for the teams I've mentioned:

Preds- desperatly in need of some scoring help + they have some really intersesting players i would like to see on the Avs

NYR - if they strikeout on Richards they would need a #1 center

LAK - if they strikeout on Richards, they need some scoring help, and they want to be in the mix for the cup next year

STL - his hometown, but they won't trade Pietrangelo so i don't see that happening, i think this is only an option only if they really want to get rid of him

ATL - they need a #1 center

All of the teams above have some interesting parts that would make us better. So let the proposals begin.

Please don't insult each other, this is purely fictional, and I would like to hear some interesting proposals.

Pirate Deadpool 05-25-2011 05:39 AM

Suter for Stazz.
Bernier plus pick for Stazz or Stazz for Quick.

Only guy I want from the rangers is henrik and no way they are trading him away.

Ivan13 05-25-2011 05:46 AM

Well who wouldn't, and I think that's a possibility because they could think that Josi, Blum and others in their pipeline are ready to take over. I'm not sure that's fair value straith up. To me Suter>Stastny.

Bernier/Quick + Schenn + Smyth for Staz+ B.Elliot (could be a decent backup behind a really solid D) - LAK shed salary and add a decent backup for either Bernier or Quick. We might need to add something but I'm not sure what.

Hasbro 05-25-2011 07:32 AM

Can we rename this thread so Leaf fans don't invade?:help:

Ivan13 05-25-2011 08:00 AM

Well I didn't mention them as a team that has anything of our interest, so if they do come here anything they say would be pi****g in the wind. They remind me of a crazy stalker exgirlfriend that just can't get in her head that it's over.

Bender 05-25-2011 08:35 AM

To me, Ryan Suter has always had the luxury of playing with a guy like Shea Weber and that's always helped him look better than he actually is. The parallel I draw is to Beauchemin playing with Niedermayer in Anaheim. Obviously, Suter is a much better player than Beauchemin but when Toronto signed him, I think they expected more from this guy, especially defensively.

I think Suter's a good player, a bit of a borderline #2, top 3-4 defenseman for sure but I don't see him as a #1 guy and I certainly don't see him as the franchise d-man that a lot of people seem to think he is.

Feel free to disagree, I'm sure many will.

Anyways, back to the original question : I also really don't want to see Stastny traded but if he was, I would be looking for this kind of package :

To St-L:
P. Stastny, C
T. Barrie, D
B. Yip, RW

To Col:
D. Backes, C/RW
J. Schwartz, C
J. Allen, G

The reasoning behind this is that Backes can be a very good 2nd line center and/or play any forward position. That kind of versatility could be very useful down the road. For the Blues, they get a #1 center that already has chemistry with their best sniper and one who's familiar with the city. The Avs give up one of their most promising defensive prospect for a guy who could be able to fill-in Backes spot as #2C somewhere down the road. They add depth at the G position with Allen while the Blues get a serviceable grinding winger in Yip.

Stastny > Backes
Schwartz >= Barrie (value wise, it's pretty close)
Allen > Yip

As I said, my preference would be to keep Stastny but if this kind of deal was made, I'd be ok with it. I have no idea if Blues fans would want to do this, if I were in their position, I really wouldn't want to lose Schwartz but that would be the cost if I had to move an established guy like Stastny.

Ivan13 05-25-2011 08:46 AM

Well I've seen a lot of Preds fans that think that Suter actually makes Weber better, not the other way around. I agree that he isn't a great offensive D, but he's the best shutdown D in the league and it isn't even close.

As for STL part I don't know why but I would prefer Berglund over Backes.

Bender 05-25-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan13 (Post 33233588)
Well I've seen a lot of Preds fans that think that Suter actually makes Weber better, not the other way around. I agree that he isn't a great offensive D, but he's the best shutdown D in the league and it isn't even close.

As for STL part I don't know why but I would prefer Berglund over Backes.

I have to disagree. I haven't watched him all year but all the games versus the Avs and 2-3 games in the 2nd round against Vancouver and my impression is that he's a good 2-way guy but I certainly wouldn't call him the best shutdown d-man in the league, I think that is Zdeno Chara. (like I said, I expected people to disagree with me)

Berglund isn't as much of a 2-way guy as Backes, imo. Plus Backes does a lot of the little things really well and can play any of the forward positions.

Ivan13 05-25-2011 09:30 AM

Maybe Chara, I forgot about him, but I've said that Preds fans think he's better than Weber not me. As for Berglund, yes he isn't as good of a 2-way guy as Backes, but his offensive potential is just crazy. He isn't a great skater (but he's not bad either), he needs to improve his shot a little, but everything else about him is just great. He plays with an edge, has fantastic reach and strength (kind of similar to Sundin, he's 6'3 with 220lbs), and he's only 23. He can come close or even reach Eric Staal's level. I really think that a deal for him could end up as a steal a couple of years down the road.

Bender 05-25-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan13 (Post 33234024)
Maybe Chara, I forgot about him, but I've said that Preds fans think he's better than Weber not me. As for Berglund, yes he isn't as good of a 2-way guy as Backes, but his offensive potential is just crazy. He isn't a great skater (but he's not bad either), he needs to improve his shot a little, but everything else about him is just great. He plays with an edge, has fantastic reach and strength (kind of similar to Sundin, he's 6'3 with 220lbs), and he's only 23. He can come close or even reach Eric Staal's level. I really think that a deal for him could end up as a steal a couple of years down the road.

Maybe. I remember being really impressed with Berglund a few years ago but not as much the past 2 years. I've seen all of the games vs the Avs and a few against Chicago after the trade (wanted to get a look at Shatty & Stewie in blue) and Berglund is a bit of an enigma for me. He hasn't been consistent enough for my taste but yeah, if he puts it all together then for sure he'll be an excellent player. But he's been too "Sergei Fedorov-ish" in my opinion and I'm talking specifically about the post-Hart trophy Fedorov. You know, the one that is dynamite one night and then invisible for the next 4 games. He'd definitely be riskier than a guy like Backes who's maybe got a lower ceiling but is more consistent. Just my take on it.

Avsboy 05-25-2011 10:44 AM

Stastny and #11

FOR

Bernier and Jack Johnson

-Draft SC or Huberdeau with #2

Adama0905 05-25-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsboy (Post 33234992)
Stastny and #11

FOR

Bernier and Jack Johnson

-Draft SC or Huberdeau with #2

LA would never do that trade.

Burke needs me 05-25-2011 12:03 PM

TOO BAD HASBRO....leafs fans are everywhere!!!

yes...leafs fans are always lurking....

Stastny fills a nice large void the leafs have. Everyone knows that.

That said, the leafs are unlikely to give up any core pieces.

so as to not insult anyone I won't put up any proposals....

but I'm curious to hear what Avs fans would want in return in terms of picks and/or prospects ??

Burke is not going to trade any of his top 6 forwards..(not that he has 6)

Grabosvki, Kulemin, Macaurthur, Kessel, Kadri and Lupul are not going anywhere.
(i doubt Avs would want Lupul anyway)

Phaneuf, Schenn, and Aulie are not going anywhere.

other than those, I believe everything else would be available. Bozak? Gunnarson?

Leafs have the #25 pick this year(from Philly) and likely the#29 pick (from Boston)
and their 2nd pick #39.

Jake Gardiner #17 in 2008 entry draft)
Joe Colborne #16 in 2008 entry draft)

a few other middling prospects you have never heard of...

what type of package could entice an Avs fan???

Hasbro 05-25-2011 12:07 PM

2012 1st
2012 2nd
2013 1st

Nihiliste 05-25-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke needs me (Post 33236146)

:laugh:

Dream on kid

thedoctor 05-25-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke needs me (Post 33236146)

Ok, well, we want Schenn but you can't have Stastny, Duchene, EJ, O'Reilly, Hejduk, Jones, Hishon, Elliot or any of our draft picks. what type of package could entice a Leafs fan??? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, it would take Schenn+ for Stastny. That's what we've said 100000+ times to Leafs fans.

CB Joe 05-25-2011 12:46 PM

Stastny is better for this organization than almost anything the Av's would be getting in return. If Stastny were traded it would most likely be for several smaller piece, unlikely to have the same impact Stastny is capable of having. The Av's need elite players not depth.

Why are people fascinated with the thought of trading Stastny?

We have a #1 center in Duchene.

You can never have enough depth at center. The best teams in the league have depth at center. Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Fippula. Sedin and Kesler. Briere, Carter and Richard. Thorton, Pavelski, and Marleau. Stamkos and Lecavalier.

Also Duchene has yet to accomplish what Stastny has in any of his first few seasons.

He's invisible on the ice.

Stastny does not have a lot of flash in his game. He doesn't do the "sick" dangles, he won't blow by a defeceman to the outside, and he doesn't throw any big hits. Stastny plays a simple, smart game. He knows where to go to get rebounds, he knows how to get the puck to the open man, and he knows how to play in his own end. Don't mistake flash for substance. At the end of the day he always finds a way to contribute.

He's paid too much.

Stastny may make slightly more then he should, but in no way would his contact be a hindrance to the team. Since entering the league in 2006-2007, Stastny has produced at similar levels per game, to players who are in the same pay grade. Koptiar, Marleau, Kovalchuk, Briere, Kane, Toews, Smyth, Elias, and Cammalleri all make 6m or more.

Stastny has never accomplished anything.

He was a finalist for the Calder, in which he gave Malkin a serious challenge and in the process he was named to the NHL all rookie team. He has lead his team in scoring twice. He is a two time NHL all-star and is an Olympic silver medalist.

Stastny never step up his game.

In the 2007-08 season Statsny lead the Avs in regular season scoring, putting up 12 points more then the nearest competition, while playing 16 games less. Lead by Stastny's production the Av's were a playoff team that season.

Again in the 2009-10 Stastny lead the Av's in regular season scoring, leading the competition by 15 points. Due to Stastny play in the regular season the Av's managed to make it into the playoffs. While the playoff run was short, Stastny was the best player on the Av's this time around.

Stastny is not consistent enough/He disappears for long stretches this season.

During his rookie season Stastny set an NHL record for longest point streak by a rookie.

This season was the worst season of Stastny's career. Twice he went pointless for 3 consecutive games, and once he went pointless for 5 consecutive games.

Now, I know what your thinking. OMG twice he went pointless for 3 consecutive games! Well for comparison, Duchene went pointless for 3 consecutive games a total of 4 times this season. "But what about his 5 consecutive games without a point?" Well that stuff happens. Stamkos did it once this season, and Joe Thornton managed to do it twice this season. Zetterberg even managed to have a six game pointless streak. Other players like Toews, Kesler, E Staal, and Kopitar saved themselves the embarrassment and only managed one or more 4 game pointless streaks.

We need to trade this guy. :sarcasm:

Freudian 05-25-2011 12:47 PM

While something like Schenn+2nd for Stastny might be decent value I would rather not make the deal. I think Avs have more use for Stastny than a defensive right shot defenseman. Even one as competent as Schenn is.

I think we are in good shape defensively. Perhaps even very good after this draft.

chewey 05-25-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB Joe (Post 33236802)
Stastny is better for this organization than almost anything the Av's would be getting in return. If Stastny were traded it would most likely be for several smaller piece, unlikely to have the same impact Stastny is capable of having. The Av's need elite players not depth.

You can never have enough depth at center. The best teams in the league have depth at center. Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Fippula. Sedin and Kesler. Briere, Carter and Richard. Thorton, Pavelski, and Marleau. Stamkos and Lecavalier.

Also Duchene has yet to accomplish what Stastny has in any of his first few seasons.

Stastny does not have a lot of flash in his game. He doesn't do the "sick" dangles, he won't blow by a defeceman to the outside, and he doesn't throw any big hits. Stastny plays a simple, smart game. He knows where to go to get rebounds, he knows how to get the puck to the open man, and he knows how to play in his own end. Don't mistake flash for substance. At the end of the day he always finds a way to contribute.

He's paid too much.

Stastny may make slightly more then he should, but in no way would his contact be a hindrance to the team. Since entering the league in 2006-2007, Stastny has produced at similar levels per game, to players who are in the same pay grade. Koptiar, Marleau, Kovalchuk, Briere, Kane, Toews, Smyth, Elias, and Cammalleri all make 6m or more.

He was a finalist for the Calder, in which he gave Malkin a serious challenge and in the process he was named to the NHL all rookie team. He has lead his team in scoring twice. He is a two time NHL all-star and is an Olympic silver medalist.

In the 2007-08 season Statsny lead the Avs in regular season scoring, putting up 12 points more then the nearest competition, while playing 16 games less. Lead by Stastny's production the Av's were a playoff team that season.

Again in the 2009-10 Stastny lead the Av's in regular season scoring, leading the competition by 15 points. Due to Stastny play in the regular season the Av's managed to make it into the playoffs. While the playoff run was short, Stastny was the best player on the Av's this time around.

During his rookie season Stastny set an NHL record for longest point streak by a rookie.

This season was the worst season of Stastny's career. Twice he went pointless for 3 consecutive games, and once he went pointless for 5 consecutive games.

Now, I know what your thinking. OMG twice he went pointless for 3 consecutive games! Well for comparison, Duchene went pointless for 3 consecutive games a total of 4 times this season. "But what about his 5 consecutive games without a point?" Well that stuff happens. Stamkos did it once this season, and Joe Thornton managed to do it twice this season. Zetterberg even managed to have a six game pointless streak. Other players like Toews, Kesler, E Staal, and Kopitar saved themselves the embarrassment and only managed one or more 4 game pointless streaks.

You sir are Charlie Sheen'ing.

BrickAHL 05-25-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

He's paid too much.

Please post this in all of the Stastny to Toronto threads.

NWAvsFan 05-25-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

He's paid too much.

You forgot one:

Statsny doesn't has teh mad danglez! Sell high!

Avsboy 05-25-2011 01:19 PM

Trade teh Stastny....make Peter ups3t!1! Dur

shadow1 05-25-2011 01:19 PM

Avs could use him. ;)

Bordeleau Of Blood 05-25-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

He's paid too much.

And boom goes the dynamite! :handclap:

thedoctor 05-25-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

He's paid too much.

I am posting this in every Stastny thread. Nicely done.