HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Decent street hockey sticks? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=918528)

wsoxfan1214 05-28-2011 12:05 PM

Decent street hockey sticks?
 
Hey, does anyone know of any good street hockey sticks that're out on the market, either online or at retailers? I always buy regular hockey sticks, but the blades get worn down and torn up pretty easily, and I'm getting tired of throwing $80-100 at a stick every two months.

Right now, I'm using a Reebok 5K with snake grip and a Pavel Datsyuk curve on it. LH and 85 flex. $90 and it's already torn up within 3 months.

So.. Anyone know of any? The Koho Revolution one I tried using was a horrible stick, and that's about the only one I can find around here.

Thanks in advance.

mbeam 05-28-2011 12:10 PM

Get a cheap two piece setup and stick to ABS blades. They wear smoothly and evenly and you can always just spend $20 to replace the blade instead of the whole stick.

AIREAYE 05-28-2011 02:04 PM

Never use OPS(composite) or even regular wood sticks for street hockey. Keep to sticks with an ABS blade, whether that be a 2-piece as mentioned above (more expensive but the shaft will last forever and you just keep replacing blades) or wood sticks with an ABS blade

Thepandamancan 05-28-2011 02:18 PM

Not sure if Reebok still makes the 2K, but I used that at first and it was alright for some street/ball hockey. It's got an ABS blade, but the wood shaft made it pretty heavy.

But like the others said, a good, strong shaft and ABS blades are the way to go.

noobman 05-28-2011 03:26 PM

Anything with an ABS or "injected" blade will suffice. It is a hard type of plastic that takes a long time to wear out, and is perfect for ball/street hockey.

Flicktron 05-29-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyledude92107 (Post 33288831)
Hey, does anyone know of any good street hockey sticks that're out on the market, either online or at retailers? I always buy regular hockey sticks, but the blades get worn down and torn up pretty easily, and I'm getting tired of throwing $80-100 at a stick every two months.

Right now, I'm using a Reebok 5K with snake grip and a Pavel Datsyuk curve on it. LH and 85 flex. $90 and it's already torn up within 3 months.

So.. Anyone know of any? The Koho Revolution one I tried using was a horrible stick, and that's about the only one I can find around here.

Thanks in advance.

This isn't going to help, but wow. I used to use a regular wood stick, bought for $10, and it lasted over 8 months. It has the fiberglass on the bottom. It works well, and it doesn't really stick to the road (as much as it can).

SenzZen 05-29-2011 09:38 PM

http://pics.classicauctions.net/clas...ons/37/126.jpg

Devil Dancer 05-30-2011 08:22 AM

I use a One95 shaft with ABS blades. Works great.

GLG 05-30-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenzZen (Post 33308072)


man I miss TITAN sticks ;)

Bexlyspeed 05-30-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLG (Post 33312323)
man I miss TITAN sticks ;)

Titan made the best sticks for street hockey when i was a kid (early-Mid 80's)
for 10 bucks we used to get either the blue (Gretzky), The Red (Bossy) or the Black (Mario), they had a bear on the blade and seemed to last forever!

now i just buy anything i can find with an ABS blade

wsoxfan1214 05-31-2011 11:13 AM

Alright, thanks guys.

And dumb question, but I've always bought one-piece sticks, so... How long should the shaft be (without the blade on it) exactly? I'm about 6 ft tall.

Fly Like a C5 05-31-2011 11:52 AM

Buy a Senior length shaft. Put a blade in it. If needed you can shorten the shaft by cutting down the wooden end plug just like on a one piece stick.

Shaun 05-31-2011 12:01 PM

I have an Easton Yzerman shaft with a CCM Thornton curved blade. Shaft is beat up but the blade is fine.

pman25 05-31-2011 11:15 PM

I used to play ice, but now i play outdoor roller hockey and I use my old ice hockey shaft (Easton zbubble) with the easton synergy abs blade. Works just fine and will last a while. I got the blade off hockeymonkey, just $17.99 but with $11.98 shipping. So i recommend buying more stuff if you plan on going to hockeymonkey, since shipping is high, might as well buy whatever else you need like a shaft or other equipment. Just get ABS blade and you should be good

I highly recommend buying a shaft and blade. It's a worthy investment. Continuing to buy $15 to $20 one piece street sticks adds up

SuicideKings15 05-31-2011 11:30 PM

Bauer used to have a great road hockey stick; The Vapor X-Street.

Sold for about $20 at Canadian Tire, lasts more than a summer.

Sean Garrity 06-01-2011 05:11 PM

Didn't really want to create a new thread for this noob question so I thought I would ask here.

I read people in here suggesting that a shaft/ABS blade combo would work best for roller hockey so I had a few basic questions.

I'm a little guy at 5'7 off skates so no matter what stick I buy I need to cut down which will increase the flex if my understanding is correct. So I was wondering, should I buy an intermediate flex that way when I cut it down the flex wont be like 100? Is a junior stick too small for me flex wise? I'm 165 lbs, with decent strength so I doubt I could break one anyhow.

Also, do the ABS blades fit all shafts?

Last but not least, any suggestions on shafts? Not really looking to spend more than $60-70 bucks on a shaft.

AIREAYE 06-01-2011 05:16 PM

If you're using ABS for street hockey, flex should be the least of your concerns.

No ABS blades are standard, meaning they fit only standard or traditional (tapered) shafts; however You can put an ABS blade into the handle-end of most OPS if they're broken.

No need to go high end on shafts; waste of money and the lighter weight makes the setup uncomfortably blade-heavy. In that range try the One30, S5, any standard shaft on closeout, X:20 etcetc

budster 06-01-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karacter (Post 33357172)
Didn't really want to create a new thread for this noob question so I thought I would ask here.

I read people in here suggesting that a shaft/ABS blade combo would work best for roller hockey so I had a few basic questions.

I'm a little guy at 5'7 off skates so no matter what stick I buy I need to cut down which will increase the flex if my understanding is correct. So I was wondering, should I buy an intermediate flex that way when I cut it down the flex wont be like 100? Is a junior stick too small for me flex wise? I'm 165 lbs, with decent strength so I doubt I could break one anyhow.

Also, do the ABS blades fit all shafts?

Last but not least, any suggestions on shafts? Not really looking to spend more than $60-70 bucks on a shaft.

Are you talking about roller hockey played with a ball on a rough surface or a smooth surface with a puck?

Sean Garrity 06-02-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budster (Post 33367995)
Are you talking about roller hockey played with a ball on a rough surface or a smooth surface with a puck?

Both, but primarily a smoother surface with a puck.

God 06-02-2011 02:27 AM

http://www.streethockeyking.com/kore250sthos1.html

These are the best sticks I've ever used in road hockey. I remember getting them at zellers for 5 bucks each, what a steal. They don't have them anymore, though. And the price on that site is ridiculous.

markisonfire 06-02-2011 03:37 AM

http://www.discounthockey.com/reebok...ck-3-pack.html

Downgrade to the 2k. Same curve, but it is made of wood. The blade is ABS plastic, I believe. That or something like the Koho 2100.

Sean Garrity 06-02-2011 04:11 AM

What I am wondering is if the Reebok, Bauer, and Easton sticks are all compatible with an ABS blade.

For example, my personal favorite which I tried through a friend is the Reebok 6k, which says it fits standard blades, so that would mean ABS blades right? Next of my favorites are the totalONE30 and the X:20 which I assume also both fit an ABS blade.

silkyjohnson50 06-02-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karacter (Post 33372311)
What I am wondering is if the Reebok, Bauer, and Easton sticks are all compatible with an ABS blade.

For example, my personal favorite which I tried through a friend is the Reebok 6k, which says it fits standard blades, so that would mean ABS blades right? Next of my favorites are the totalONE30 and the X:20 which I assume also both fit an ABS blade.

I have a X:60 and a Dolomite shaft that i now use for roller. I've used several different ABS blades in them (CCM, Easton, Koho, Franklin). Even if the blades don't originally fit, they can easily be shaved down to fit. So if you have a shaft that you really like, the blade can most likely be altered to fit.

Jarick 06-03-2011 11:14 AM

I'd pick up a used Easton Ultra Lite or Z Bubble shaft and put a Montreal M95 blade in it. Wood/ABS hybrid, super stiff, works great for ice or dryland.

mbeam 06-03-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 (Post 33388858)
I have a X:60 and a Dolomite shaft that i now use for roller. I've used several different ABS blades in them (CCM, Easton, Koho, Franklin). Even if the blades don't originally fit, they can easily be shaved down to fit. So if you have a shaft that you really like, the blade can most likely be altered to fit.

It's true. If the shaft is tapered, you can shave the butt of the blade, if the shaft is not tapered and the blade is, you can wrap some tape around it tightly to make it bigger. But the better option is just making sure you buy a blade that fits the type of shaft. Tapered for tapered and non for non.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.