HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Advice on helmets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=918705)

Thresh 05-28-2011 09:52 PM

Advice on helmets

I'm looking into buying my own as i've been borrowing a battered old CCM helmet for the last 3 months.

The two i like are the CCM Vector 10 and the Bauer 5100, but i can't decide between the two. Both of these are helmet/cage combos, because i need both parts.

As usual, for me getting to an LHS is really tough so trying them on is going to be a problem, but the CCM Vector 05 i tried on last time i was there was fine in medium, so i'd get that size regardless. I don't think my LHS even stocks Bauer helmets anyway, but i'm looking to buy this online.

However, is there a big difference in sizing from brand to brand? Do the different brands fit a lot differently to each other?

Also, which do you guys think is the better helmet?

Fly Like a C5 05-28-2011 10:05 PM

Helmets are a lot like skates in that the fits varies a bit between manufacturers. As far as quality, either helmet you have listed would be a good choice. The best helmet is the one that best fits your head. I know you said it was tough to get to a LHS, so maybe see if a teammate/friend has a helmet that you could try on before ordering.

The Tikkanen 05-29-2011 01:35 AM

Ventilation looks better on the CCM but the Bauer is $20 cheaper. 28 people like the CCM compared to only 21 for Bauer. The people have spoken. Just kidding, helmets do vary like everything else in hockey equipment. If you can't try them on in real life then I'd pick which one you like more. Worst case scenario is you have to send it back. Or you can buy both and keep the one you like more?

Thresh 06-02-2011 10:37 AM

Thanks for your input guys. The price isn't really a factor as the actual german website i'm buying them from lists them around the same price.

I'm just not sure the bauer helmet will fit me correctly and i don't want to spend the money just to have to send it back for the CCM one, but i do like the look of it more.

It's a bit of a pain but i guess i'm going to have to think about it a bit more before i make a decision.

motalar 06-02-2011 11:31 AM

I wound up buying the CCM V10, but I was like you in that I preferred the look of the Bauer (7500 model). I tried them both on and the Bauer model had these pressure points on my head that made it pretty uncomfortable after only a few minutes. The CCM fit perfectly so I went with that one, and over a year later, am still really happy with it.

CGNY87 06-02-2011 11:53 AM

I would say if you know the CCM vector fits you go with that one. Personally I have the CCM Vector 10 and it fits great. Last week I went and looked at the new Bauer 9900 (i think thats the model). I liked the design but my head did not fit comfortably into the helmet. That helmet seemed to fit more of a round head.

If you are buying online, find a company that has a good return policy (ie - free return shipping if wrong size/fit)

Thresh 06-07-2011 11:28 PM

Thanks again for the advice guys, i really appreciate it!

It's nice to hear from people in the same situation as me - i reckon i'll stick with the CCM V10 to avoid any unfortunate hassle with the bauer not fitting, especially as i know the CCM mould is comfortable for me.

Pangolin 06-08-2011 12:25 AM

Even within the brand...
I tried on Bauer 9900, 8500 and 7500...they had a huge sale for the 9900 and 7500 (1/2 the price) but stood firm on the 8500...

The only one that fitted me was the 8500....sucked..

dbargaehr 06-08-2011 10:17 PM

Just an FYI - I used a "hockey helmet sizing guide" and measured around my head, determined I was a large (apparently I have a pretty sizable noggin), and when I ordered online I was very happy with the fit.

If you can't go into the store and try it, the "helmet sizing guide" (I think it was Hockey Monkey or Hockey Giant) worked really well for me.