HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Trade deadline (looking back) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=919366)

glenn77 05-31-2011 06:00 AM

Trade deadline (looking back)

I was wondering yesterday as I was driving to work - at the trade deadline this past season - if you were GM, who do you think would have been a great pick-up to help us in the playoffs at FORWARD?

Not that there was alot of huge pick-ups, I wonder about having a guy like Jason Arnott - a vetern with playoff experience.

Thoughts? Who would you get?

shutehinside 05-31-2011 06:28 AM

Nathan Horton. Then maybe he'd have scored the game 7 winner for US!

Monctonscout 05-31-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 33326016)

He was acquired last summer, not at the deadline.

The best non trade for us was Penner, he was terrible in LA.

neofury* 05-31-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 33326177)

Not like it proves he would have been terrible for us. I don't see him as a JM guy either but he could have had chemistry with some of our players and played pretty well for us. We can't know that and I don't think one short stint from March to the playoffs proves much especially given the fact that Kopitar was injured. I'm sure he would have at least gotten some more PP points if he hadn't been.

I didn't want Penner either especially at the asking price but we can't really know if he'd have done well for us or not, maybe he would have. Plus he has all next year to prove the critics wrong, it's a little early to call it.

The Kremelin Wall* 05-31-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

I agree. I don't know who else it was on the Habs board other than myself calling Penner fat and lazy and not worth a 1st, let alone adding Tinordi but high five.
:5:

Monctonscout 05-31-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 33326502)
Not like it proves he would have been terrible for us. I don't see him as a JM guy either but he could have had chemistry with some of our players and played pretty well for us. We can't know that and I don't think one short stint from March to the playoffs proves much especially given the fact that Kopitar was injured. I'm sure he would have at least gotten some more PP points if he hadn't been.

I didn't want Penner either especially at the asking price but we can't really know if he'd have done well for us or not, maybe he would have. Plus he has all next year to prove the critics wrong, it's a little early to call it.

I would have taken a chance at a reasonable price...but Tinordi plus our 1st(comparive to what they got) would be overpayment IMHO.

hototogisu 05-31-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

This, 100x. I can't believe there's still people here saying we should have got him.

saints96 05-31-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKOTW (Post 33326522)
I agree. I don't know who else it was on the Habs board other than myself calling Penner fat and lazy and not worth a 1st, let alone adding Tinordi but high five.
:5:

right here! and got ridiculed for it.

Cull909 05-31-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saints96 (Post 33326729)
right here! and got ridiculed for it.

We should have dealt wiz

Richiebottles 05-31-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cull909 (Post 33338572)
We should have dealt wiz

:huh: Get him for a few months and flip him ? Sounds illogical to me.

24stanleycups* 05-31-2011 06:22 PM

Nothing. We should have done nothing. Sopel and Mara were of no help. It was just a waste of asset's. We could have dressed Picard and Weber on D. PG knew it wasn't are year, and he shouldn't have wasted asset's for rentals that have no future with the club.

overlords 05-31-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn77 (Post 33325903)
I was wondering yesterday as I was driving to work - at the trade deadline this past season - if you were GM, who do you think would have been a great pick-up to help us in the playoffs at FORWARD?

Not that there was alot of huge pick-ups, I wonder about having a guy like Jason Arnott - a vetern with playoff experience.

Thoughts? Who would you get?

We did go in hard after Arnott.

Richiebottles 05-31-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 33339143)
We did go in hard after Arnott.

I heard that he didn't want to play for the habs.

Teufelsdreck 05-31-2011 08:42 PM

Trade for Krejci or Chara.:naughty:

Analyzer 05-31-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

It's because Penner is just terrible.

I was right pissed when the rumour of our first and Tinordi for him came out. He sucks. We have enough soft players, we don't need anymore players that big who are that soft.

OpenIceHit 05-31-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24stanleycups (Post 33338834)
Nothing. We should have done nothing. Sopel and Mara were of no help. It was just a waste of asset's. We could have dressed Picard and Weber on D. PG knew it wasn't are year, and he shouldn't have wasted asset's for rentals that have no future with the club.

For what we expected from him, Mara was a great pickup this year. I would have kept him in the lineup way before Spacek.

And to answer the OP, I think PG did the right moves. We were misssing to many good assets to try to go all the way by trading all our draft picks+prospects...

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 33326016)

I wanted Horton for the past 3 years. I hate the Ruins but Chiarelli is doing an amazing job with this team...

keepcalmandbeninja 05-31-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

I will argue acquiring Goalie Drew McIntire was a decent move...

Although I agree with you with a failed rental policy and it could be argued though we let too manly players/assets walk for nothing though... I would like to point out assets lost in weaker trades etc are mitigated by the fact we actively sign free agents such as Diaz, Berger Bishop, St Denis, Nash, Klubertanz etc...

neofury* 06-01-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giovannicanella (Post 33342703)
I will argue acquiring Goalie Drew McIntire was a decent move...

Although I agree with you with a failed rental policy and it could be argued though we let too manly players/assets walk for nothing though... I would like to point out assets lost in weaker trades etc are mitigated by the fact we actively sign free agents such as Diaz, Berger Bishop, St Denis, Nash, Klubertanz etc...

Exactly. We may lose assets but we make assets out of thin air:

Diaz - thin air
Fischer replacement pick - seemed like thin air, but obviously any GM would have done this if at all possible.

Mathradio 06-01-2011 08:57 AM

Zubrus?

glenn77 06-01-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richiebottles (Post 33339215)
I heard that he didn't want to play for the habs.

Oh really?
Piss on him then lol!
His loss :nod:

The Goalie Mask 06-01-2011 11:32 AM

Well moves for the playoff run and long term should of been done.

Long term - I would of traded Spacek to be able to sign Wiz

For the playoff run - I would of picked up Kovalev..no risk and a Bruins killer

LyleOdelein 06-01-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask (Post 33349921)
Well moves for the playoff run and long term should of been done.

Long term - I would of traded Spacek to be able to sign Wiz

For the playoff run - I would of picked up Kovalev..no risk and a Bruins killer

Spacek was in the middle of a sub-par season and injured with no timeline for return at time of the deadline. I highly doubt that there was any team that would've taken his cap hit just to do a favour to the Habs.

When a player like Kovalev gets dealt for a 6th rounder straight up, I think that's probably an indication that most GM's in the league didn't want him anywhere near their team.

The Goalie Mask 06-01-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyleOdelein (Post 33350174)
Spacek was in the middle of a sub-par season and injured with no timeline for return at time of the deadline. I highly doubt that there was any team that would've taken his cap hit just to do a favour to the Habs.

When a player like Kovalev gets dealt for a 6th rounder straight up, I think that's probably an indication that most GM's in the league didn't want him anywhere near their team.

Spacek is an experienced defensemen that could of added depth to any playoff team looking to go deep. I think some GMs would of gambled.

Kovalev is still the magician & a motivated magician could of done well in Montreal especially with his fondness for Montreal. There was nothing to loss to bring him back...we needed more offense in the playoffs(pp and 5 on 5) and Kovalev could of provided that for 5th or 6th rounder...I personally think it would of been a no brainer...he would of opened up the ice for forwards as well..

LyleOdelein 06-01-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask (Post 33352245)
Spacek is an experienced defensemen that could of added depth to any playoff team looking to go deep. I think some GMs would of gambled.

Kovalev is still the magician & a motivated magician could of done well in Montreal especially with his fondness for Montreal. There was nothing to loss to bring him back...we needed more offense in the playoffs(pp and 5 on 5) and Kovalev could of provided that for 5th or 6th rounder...I personally think it would of been a no brainer...he would of opened up the ice for forwards as well..

You're looking at the Spacek situation and completely ignoring the context. Spacek went down in mid-February with an unspecified lower body injury (at the time). The severity of the injury was unknown and Spacek's knee (as it turned out) was being re-evaluated the week of the deadline. There were rumours of Spacek being out for the year which were met with a "no comment" from Martin. News that he could return if his knee scope went well and healed quickly came out the day after the deadline. As of March 1st, he was expected to be out for 4-6 weeks, best case scenario.

No GM would want to trade for Spacek at the time given the extremely tangible possibility that he wouldn't be ready for the playoffs. Even had a team took a chance and picked him up for the playoffs, the odds were that he would see very little regular season time with the team to get back in shape and used to his new teammates and system. On top of that, picking up Spacek would also mean absorbing one additional year of his contract, which he wasn't living up to. It just wasn't going to happen.

As for Kovalev, we obviously have different opinions on what he had to offer. At the time, I thought the magic was gone and all that he would provide to a team is the rare flash of brilliance peppered with inconsistency and mediocre effort. From what I saw of him in Pittsburgh, he lived up to my expectations.

macavoy 06-01-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyleOdelein (Post 33353623)
On top of that, picking up Spacek would also mean absorbing one additional year of his contract, which he wasn't living up to. It just wasn't going to happen.

This is the only part of your statement that matters. GM's could have gotten the prognosis from Habs if they were interested. However nobody was taking on Spacek at this past year's deadline for a playoff push to get saddled with his contract for next year.