HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   goalie skate profiling ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=919713)

adaminnj 05-31-2011 07:29 PM

goalie skate profiling ?

My sons skates have him standing on his heals and out of position and makes more work for him to push into butterfly. His new goalie coach want's me to get his skates radiuses with a forward slant he told me to come to his shop but it's quite far away and I have people I use for my skates. he said 28ft radius and forward something but I have been reading that kids goalie skates (Size 2) should be cut on a smaller radius (between 7ft and 14 ft) any opinions?

adaminnj 06-01-2011 04:26 PM

So I went to Crows sports and they did all the work by hand. my son has not skated on the new profile but if it works half as good as it looks what a great deal. I'll post Sunday after his game and lesson and let you know how it worked for him and the spicifics of the radius and sharp.

Gino 14 06-02-2011 06:32 AM

How much of an effect do you really believe you will see as a result of this? The fact that a kid that small has a goalie coach and that the coach is suggesting such work on skates, not to mention getting the work done at "his" shop, is suspect at best.

adaminnj 06-02-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 33372712)
How much of an effect do you really believe you will see as a result of this? The fact that a kid that small has a goalie coach and that the coach is suggesting such work on skates, not to mention getting the work done at "his" shop, is suspect at best.

Yeah I am a huge sceptic but I saw the skate blade was in a backwards profile and had the kid skating on his heals as opposed to on his toes.

He has a game and a lesson on Sunday so we will see if it makes that much of a difference then.

As for "The fact that a kid that small has a goalie coach" He is 10 and plays rep (A, AA) hockey. By 10 most kids that have made the commitment to play rep have power skating, skills development, and team coaches. I know kids that skate 7 days a week because there parents are convinced that at age 9 that the kid was going to the show. Aw well the parents usually have more dollars than sense.

Shaping the blades of skates is something I do for my skates and I recommend highly for all new skates. Goalie skates are very specialized and unless you know what you are doing you may not get the best result. Ed Belfour would do all or most of the work to his own skates and he would shape his own blades.

adaminnj 06-03-2011 06:19 PM

The kid skated stick and puck today and I saw a big difference in his stance but he said that skating was the same. His stance was more upright and his knees where over his toes.

Game on Sunday we shall see how that goes.

Gino 14 06-04-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 33400590)
The kid skated stick and puck today and I saw a big difference in his stance but he said that skating was the same. His stance was more upright and his knees where over his toes.

Game on Sunday we shall see how that goes.

That's odd that you would see something that significant yet your son, who is the one actually skating, does not. Keep us updated.