HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   TSN: Darren Dreger: Campbell relenquishing disciplinarian role - still VP Hockey Ops (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=919905)

Chairman Maouth 06-01-2011 12:01 PM

Darren Dreger: Campbell relenquishing disciplinarian role - still VP Hockey Ops

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Sources tell TSN Colin Campbell is giving up role as NHL disciplinarian. Brendan Shanahan will likely take over.

Eddy Punch Clock 06-01-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth (Post 33349211)
DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Sources tell TSN Colin Campbell is giving up role as NHL disciplinarian. Brendan Shanahan will likely take over.

Should have announced this a day or two ago. He's kind of stealing the NHL's thunder today.

PRNuck 06-01-2011 12:04 PM

Behold the power of Tony G!!

Is this effective immediately, and permanent? I'm glad they replaced him with someone with no ties to the game :sarcasm:

Chairman Maouth 06-01-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock (Post 33349263)
Should have announced this a day or two ago. He's kind of stealing the NHL's thunder today.

I'm just glad that this should put an end to the conflict of interest allegations and suspicion of favouritism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRNuck (Post 33349285)

Is this effective immediately, and permanent? I'm glad they replaced him with someone with no ties to the game :sarcasm:

The story is still breaking.

Bob McKenzie just retweeted Dreger.

Eddy Punch Clock 06-01-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRNuck (Post 33349285)

Wait a minute... Shanahan is Irish. Two ref's are Irish. Boston is 99.9% Irish.

Screwed again!!!

Chairman Maouth 06-01-2011 12:10 PM

Brief story on TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367566

Story on Campbell's son's reaction to Gallagher: http://www.nesn.com/2011/05/gregory-...-on-offic.html

Connecticut 06-01-2011 12:11 PM

Reposted from the Around the League thread:

Can't they find anyone who wouldn't have obvious potential conflicts of interest? There's a ton of minor league and junior coaches, officials, and executives who know the league and rules well who I'm sure would jump at this position and would have many fewer ties to NHL franchises. I'm not saying pick a guy off the street who has never watched a hockey game before, but why pick someone who was recently a player and is very good friends with a huge number of current players? Dumb. Although you can't get much worse than Colon Campbell, this won't be a huge improvement.

Bobby Lou 06-01-2011 12:11 PM

Tony Gallagher, for the win.

PRNuck 06-01-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock (Post 33349394)
Wait a minute... Shanahan is Irish. Two ref's are Irish. Boston is 99.9% Irish.

Screwed again!!!

Khaaaaaaaan!! Khaaaaaaan!!

Chairman Maouth 06-01-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Lou (Post 33349468)
Tony Gallagher, for the win.

Does make you wonder if Gallagher accomplished what most NHL fans have wanted for years. What do you wanna bet he calls himself the "straw" on Team 1040 today. Straw as in camel's back.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan 06-01-2011 12:16 PM

What did Gallagher do?

Pseudonymous 06-01-2011 12:16 PM

Sorry I have not read the article. Can you please clarify if this is effective immediately or starting next season.

Chairman Maouth 06-01-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 (Post 33349584)
Sorry I have not read the article. Can you please clarify if this is effective immediately or starting next season.

There are links above in one of my posts.

Gallagher's original article: http://communities.canada.com/thepro...to-ignore.aspx

Samzilla 06-01-2011 12:18 PM

Don't think Tony Gallagher's going to be getting a christmas card from Colin now...

Bobby Lou 06-01-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan (Post 33349583)
What did Gallagher do?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...521/story.html

ItsAllPartOfThePlan 06-01-2011 12:22 PM

Oh wow...that is crazy. Good for Tony G.

Ernie 06-01-2011 12:27 PM

Thing is, most of what Gallagher was complaining about was his control over officiating. Which he still has.

So that conflict of interest still exists. Will officials take it easier on the Bruins knowing that the boss of their boss is going to be angry about any "bad" calls?

Uhmkay 06-01-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 33349829)
Thing is, most of what Gallagher was complaining about was his control over officiating. Which he still has.
So that conflict of interest still exists. Will officials take it easier on the Bruins knowing that the boss of their boss is going to be angry about any "bad" calls?

I believe he is completely stepping away from his roll over anything concerning discipline, which would also involve discipline given by officials, etc. If you can find me a link stating that he's still boss or has control over officials though, I'd give you credit for that. But as it stands now, I think the understanding is that Colin is completely stepping away from this position so there is no conflict of interest. And his timing indicates that is a major part of the reason.

Jarko2004 06-01-2011 12:40 PM

Isn't the bigger concern the bond between Jacobs and Bettman?

Pseudonymous 06-01-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth (Post 33349599)
There are links above in one of my posts.

Gallagher's original article: http://communities.canada.com/thepro...to-ignore.aspx

Ok now i've read it, still doesn't answer my question. What do you guys think, next year or effective immediately?

Its kind of strange that this is happening before the end of the year. As if something serious happened? Why couldnt it wait?

Ernie 06-01-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhmkay (Post 33350070)
I believe he is completely stepping away from his roll over anything concerning discipline, which would also involve discipline given by officials, etc. If you can find me a link stating that he's still boss or has control over officials though, I'd give you credit for that. But as it stands now, I think the understanding is that Colin is completely stepping away from this position so there is no conflict of interest. And his timing indicates that is a major part of the reason.

re-read what I wrote. Discipline is one thing, managing the refs is another. As far as I can tell he's still in charge of the latter. They "screw up", they pay.

Placebo Effect 06-01-2011 01:00 PM

It's a pretty significant change. Not really something you just flip a switch. Unless this plan has been in the works and just announced today. TSN article mentions that Shanahan will be, not has, taking over the role and that they'll be overhauling the supplementary discipline structure, etc.

Ernie 06-01-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 (Post 33350375)
Ok now i've read it, still doesn't answer my question. What do you guys think, next year or effective immediately?

Its kind of strange that this is happening before the end of the year. As if something serious happened? Why couldnt it wait?

oh, it could wait. Classic PR move. This won't be much of a story on the day after Winnipeg gets an NHL team back and on the opening game of the Stanley Cup Finals. That's not an accident.

Scouter 06-01-2011 01:07 PM

Is this just for the final because his son is playing in it, or is it long term?

luongo321 06-01-2011 01:09 PM

music to my ears. now get rid of bettman, murphy and bring in some consistency to the refereeing.