HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Being Dead Last lets the fans grow too (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=921161)

Psychoil 06-04-2011 11:38 AM

Being Dead Last lets the fans grow too

Thats right,

I think us oilers fans are gonna be alot better for wear as mature fans. These 2 years have really taught us alot about being fans of the oilers. One of the biggest things that we've grown to do is appreciate all the little positives of our team. The small wins during a game (faceoffs, nice passes, good plays) that we got excited for, the loses where we feel we played great. We weren't so quick to get angry and blame everything on anyone. As fans, we've grown to be patient and appreciate the small things rather than wins and points. And deep down inside, we know we are gonna see all of that in the coming years, and when we do, we will be grateful we went through this process, because it is going to make us not take anything for granted!

So heres to looking forward to the great times! cus the good times have already started!

Beerfish 06-04-2011 11:43 AM

The next step is for the fans to start acting like a mature, smart gm and not blast the shoes off of every player that has any kind of conflict with the team or the city.

Replacement 06-04-2011 12:10 PM

I'm not sure how you consider two decades of pain as two years.

dookers9 06-04-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerfish (Post 33408819)
The next step is for the fans to start acting like a mature, smart gm and not blast the shoes off of every player that has any kind of conflict with the team or the city.

But I don't WANNA grow up! :cry:

;)

Does this mean dealing with the hurt and rejection from the chronic shunning of yesteryear differently and not booing every ex-Oiler whenever he touches the puck or his blades hit Rexall ice?

Is that too radical a change?

Tavaresmagicalplay* 06-04-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 33409122)

Lots of teams have had it worse.

Bathcat 06-04-2011 01:24 PM

It's funny, because when the Oilers become good and the band-wagoners heap on, you're all going to become so, so bitter towards your own fanbase. Not only because you all had to shoulder the burden for two decades, but you have to hear Edmontonites (???) spout off about how Taylor Hall is the greatest Oiler ever.

Replacement 06-04-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay (Post 33410036)
Lots of teams have had it worse.

In a word, wrong.

One team in the league has been worse than us over the last 20 seasons.

Hopkins to Hall 06-04-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 33410642)
In a word, wrong.

One team in the league has been worse than us over the last 20 seasons.

What's your definition for worst here? Regular season record only? Going by playoff success there are many teams worse then us.

The Rage 06-04-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 33409122)

This was my initial reaction as well. I suppose one could argue the 1992-1996 years helped a spoiled fan group realize the importance of small victories like making the playoffs (hence the huge enthusiasm that came with that magnificent upset over Dallas), but these last two years of complete inferiority after years of being a middling club have been nothing but mind numbing. I think it will take a long time before I can become the fan I was--someone who reacts strongly to every win and loss.

Replacement 06-04-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLW (Post 33410910)
What's your definition for worst here? Regular season record only? Going by playoff success there are many teams worse then us.

Yes, I used regular season results in this. I don't think one major playoff run in over two decades of futility really ameliated the longterm pain all that much. Especially considering that the Regular season of that SC final year we weren't a very good team, and we were beyond hopeless the immediate year after.

To coin a analogy it was our all too brief "Prague spring" from a bitter repression at the hands of a grossly inferior, and perpetually losing organization..;)

Replacement 06-04-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rage (Post 33410930)
This was my initial reaction as well. I suppose one could argue the 1992-1996 years helped a spoiled fan group realize the importance of small victories like making the playoffs (hence the huge enthusiasm that came with that magnificent upset over Dallas), but these last two years of complete inferiority after years of being a middling club have been nothing but mind numbing. I think it will take a long time before I can become the fan I was--someone who reacts strongly to every win and loss.

Yeah, I can't even take solace over the Dallas or Colorado results in the 90's either as the Oilers had to subsequently sell off the talent leading to even bleaker prospects. If anything that period in time was simply frustrating if not depressing.

Like being a farm team. Only the tickets are way more expensive..

Years of wishing your team would be good, then dreading the predictable contractual cull that came with it leading to an increasingly worse team..:shakehead

I am the Liquor 06-04-2011 02:31 PM

Could be worse. We could be the Leafs.

Oiler fans are spoiled babies.

The Rage 06-04-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 33411196)
Could be worse. We could be the Leafs.

Over the last twenty years, I am not sure if we can say we have been better than the Leafs.

Quote:

Oiler fans are spoiled babies.
Those that were around in the 80s, maybe, but those of us who can't remember the last Stanley Cup have not had a lot to cheer about as fans.

Blue And Orange 06-04-2011 02:56 PM

Was born in 1989. Since then:

1 Stanley Cup (1990) - too young to remember
2 Stanley Cup Finals (2006 - 11th grade, good times,too bad we lost).
0 division title banners
0 playoff series where the oilers had home ice advantage
6th is the best placing the oilers had (2001 against Dallas - lost out)

2 30th place finishes

I am a long suffering Oilers fan and I will stay loyal til the day I die. I'm the truest of the true oilers fans!:D

Silver 06-04-2011 03:11 PM

We haven't even mentioned the constant threat of moving from 3 ownership groups...

I am the Liquor 06-04-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rage (Post 33411359)
Over the last twenty years, I not sure if we can say we have been better than the Leafs.

Leafs havent been in a final for over forty years. Weve been in seven in the last thirty.

Quote:

Those that were around in the 80s, maybe, but those of us who can't remember the last Stanley Cup have not had a lot to cheer about as fans.
Lots of teams havent done anything in the last twenty years. Things havent been great for you, but they could always be worse.

dnicks17 06-04-2011 03:15 PM

It's going to be bitter sweet.

We'll get plenty of Canuck-esque bandwagon fans when we're finally good.

I am the Liquor 06-04-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam89Gags (Post 33411603)

0 division title banners

2 30th place finishes

I am a long suffering Oilers fan and I will stay loyal til the day I die. I'm the truest of the true oilers fans!:D

We have some monogrammed TP waiting for you in the lobby.

Congratulations.

Oilmageddon* 06-04-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

0 division title banners

2 30th place finishes

I dunno about that . Maybe the teurst Narccisitical Oiler fan:sarcasm:

Psychoil 06-04-2011 03:22 PM

oh cmon, these past 5 years have been bad yes, but before the finals in 06, it wasnt that bad...

now i may be spit balling because i used to be a flames fan when i was 12 cus i lived in calgary...but i feel in love with the oilers from 2002 onward....

u wanna know sad stat about me? and im not trying to make this an egocentric thread, but in my 21 years of existence, ive only seen MY team make the playoffs like twice...but the one in 06 is enough for me to think the oilers will get back there.

but yeah, we willl definitely appreciate every little win along the way now because of our past

Ice Whole 06-04-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

0 division title banners

2 30th place finishes

I dont get why you would make a comment like that because I'm pretty sure there are many of us that are loyal and still love this team, even if we are last and suck right now. Also, didnt you say that if Gagner goes, you go? How does that make you a true Oilers fan? I'm not questioning your love or loyalty to the Oilers but I'm just saying you should stop making comments like these because quite frankly, your not. No one can consider themselves that.

jumptheshark 06-04-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

B]:D

u sir are depressing

The Rage 06-04-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 33411849)
Leafs havent been in a final for over forty years. Weve been in seven in the last thirty.

In the last 20 years, we have been to one final. The Leafs have been to the Conference finals multiple times in that span--we did only one better in only one year. They have far more playoff series wins over that time span.

[/QUOTE]
Lots of teams havent done anything in the last twenty years. Things havent been great for you, but they could always be worse.[/QUOTE]

We have been about as bad as anyone in the regular season over the past 20 years, and we have five playoff series wins (one every four years). It could be worse, but noy by much.

Moonlapse Vertigo 06-04-2011 04:11 PM

I've already done plenty of "growing" as a fan of this team over the past 20 godforsaken years.

Moonlapse Vertigo 06-04-2011 04:14 PM

Look, I know that the ultimate goal is to shoot for a championship, but just once, ONCE, I'd like to enjoy an exceptional regular season coupled with multiple Oilers excelling.

So in that regard, I'd say no, Leaf fans haven't had it worse. Petr Klima was the last Oiler to score 40 goals and he did that 20 years ago. If that doesn't get you depressed then I don't know what will.