HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   In 20 years, what numbers do you think could potentially be retired by the Preds? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=921273)

I Will Son 06-04-2011 06:15 PM

In 20 years, what numbers do you think could potentially be retired by the Preds?

Im gonna say

11 (first pick ever, great career for us. The definition of a Predators player)
22 (first inuit, and the impact he had on this team. Plus his name is Tootoo)
6 (cause he shot it through the net at the olympics:sarcasm:)

I know retiring numbers doesnt happen often... its for talk

SilasAdams 06-04-2011 06:17 PM

Idk i dont see any current preds numbers getting retired by the franchise. Weber maybe if he plays a entire hall of fame career here as captain and wins a cup or 2.

Top 6 Spaling 06-04-2011 06:23 PM

Its tough to say with any certainty. Depending on how their careers god, I could see a case for Legwand, Weber, Rinne (if he wins a few Vezinas), and Suter (he has some work to do). I don't think Toots will be officially retired, but I think it'll be a little like the packers are doing now with Brett Favre. It's not retired, but its understood no one else will ever wear that jersey. Seeing another 22 for the preds just wouldnt work.

Viqsi 06-04-2011 07:31 PM

The Preds retiring Legwand's #11 would be like us retiring Vyborny's #9. Yes, we love the guy, and yes, he's meant a lot to the franchise and has been a big part of it since the start...but it'd still be laughed at all across the League.

I can see 22 not being issued for anyone else, but not retired per se.

As for #6... ask again in a few weeks after he gets the new contract and see how long it lasts. Odds are strongly in his favor. I want to believe the same is true for #20, but we'll see. :)

worstfaceoffmanever 06-04-2011 07:35 PM

Legwand, Weber, and Tootoo, for a variety of reasons.

I'm not too sure about retiring numbers to begin with; considering our culture, we don't really have a lot of star-type players that most clubs end up retiring numbers for. Maybe a "Wall of Honor" is the way to go. Keeping the numbers in circulation leads to those numbers building a culture of their own, like #10 in soccer.

Paincakes 06-04-2011 09:03 PM

I'm of the mind we should honor numbers rather than flat out retire them. If a player on our roster has a lights out career and takes us to the promised land then I'll say him. But that hasn't happened yet obviously. Otherwise I think we could easily honor 11 for Legwand and his service, honor 22 for Tootoo for being the first Inuit player in the NHL. If they both retired tomorrow I could see that happening definitely. But not retirement.

Legionnaire11 06-04-2011 09:51 PM

I already posted a few years ago about if Legwand continues his modest production (40-50) for another X years, he would finish somewhere between 700-800 points for the Preds. While those are not "All-Time Great" numbers, there are more than a few players with retired numbers who put up similar stats. The difference in championships, which I think a banner or two would need to go up during Legwand's career to make 700 points worthy of retirement.

Otherwise, Weber is on the right track, especially if he becomes a perennial all-star selection.

Don't see how Tootoo ever gets any honor like that, the only place his jersey will be hanging is in sports bars.

PredsV82 06-04-2011 11:02 PM

I expect we wont see a truly "retired" number but I can see Weber and Suters jerseys being hung from the rafters if they play their whole careers here

golfmade 06-05-2011 03:34 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't even want to consider this? And in that, I mean I don't want to jinx anything. :laugh:

Fo Shea Shea 06-05-2011 10:36 AM

I have never understood retiring numbers. Honor the person not the number. Much like hall of fame inductees. Why do they have to go in as a member of a certain team? Why can't they go in as a player that played on teams A, B, and C? or wore number X, Y, and Z?

worstfaceoffmanever 06-05-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 33415179)
The Preds retiring Legwand's #11 would be like us retiring Vyborny's #9. Yes, we love the guy, and yes, he's meant a lot to the franchise and has been a big part of it since the start...but it'd still be laughed at all across the League.

Except Legwand and Vyborny are radically different within the culture of their respective organizations.

Legwand was the first draft pick in our history. He's our all-time leader in games played, goals, assists, and points. He could very easily play his entire career here. If that kind of player doesn't have his number retired, then no one does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fo Shea Shea (Post 33427504)
I have never understood retiring numbers. Honor the person not the number.

You're honoring the person by not wearing anyone else wear his number. When the numbers go into the rafters, they go with a name there, and everyone who enters that arena sees that name and number inextricably associated with that person forever.