HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Dream of a true 4-line team could be realized this season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=922765)

triplcrown 06-07-2011 07:27 PM

Dream of a true 4-line team could be realized this season

The Kings are closer to being able to ice 4 good lines than they have been in many years.

Alas, this past season, we had to once again push Stoll into a 2nd line role, when everybody knows he's ideally a 3rd-line
shutdown Center.

But the good news was Trevor Lewis really came on as a PKer
and bottom-6 gem.

Also, our best line in the POs was Simmonds/Richardson/Clifford,
which bodes well for next season.

In order to get to a true 4-line team (where any line can do some damage), it would really help to sign Brad Richards.

If we don't, then we need a big resurgence from Penner on the 1st line, which worries me a bit (I don't see Penner as a 1st line guy).

But if we do sign Richards, he could combine with Kopi & JWilliams on a 1st line that could be the best line we've had in a decade.

For a 2nd line Center, we have a burgeoning talent in Brayden Schenn, who could possibly be a ROY candidate if we give him a chance on our top 6, which means 2nd-line with perhaps Penner & DBrown. I don't think 20 Gs/50+ pts is unrealistic for Schenn, at 20 years of age. He clearly had a growth-spurt last year, and he's ready, IMO.

For a 3rd line we'd have Stoll with Smyth (admittedly an expen$ive 3rd line LW), with perhaps Trevor Lewis on RW.

The Clifford/Richardson/Simmonds unit could be a checking/energy line, or even just a dominant line, as they were in the POs, if their offense is cooking.

Admittedly, this vision of 4 lines is blurred if Richards doesn't sign with us. But we might acquire someone else, or even get inspired play from Penner next season (at least, if he wants to stay in the good money zone).

In any case, I do see us getting stronger and stronger each season, due to growth of players, plus new talent coming in.

With a little good fortune (a signing, & health and good momentum for Schenn), we could have a formidable 4-line
team next season.

Most of the ingredients (except for Richards or someone like him) are there.

It's partly a case of how raw the ingredients will be next season.

Capn Brown 06-07-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplcrown (Post 33488319)
The Kings are closer to being able to ice 4 good lines than they have been in many years.

Alas, this past season, we had to once again push Stoll into a 2nd line role, when everybody knows he's ideally a 3rd-line
shutdown Center.

But the good news was Trevor Lewis really came on as a PKer
and bottom-6 gem.

Also, our best line in the POs was Simmonds/Richardson/Clifford,
which bodes well for next season.

In order to get to a true 4-line team (where any line can do some damage), it would really help to sign Brad Richards.

If we don't, then we need a big resurgence from Penner on the 1st line, which worries me a bit (I don't see Penner as a 1st line guy).

But if we do sign Richards, he could combine with Kopi & JWilliams on a 1st line that could be the best line we've had in a decade.

For a 2nd line Center, we have a burgeoning talent in Brayden Schenn, who could possibly be a ROY candidate if we give him a chance on our top 6, which means 2nd-line with perhaps Penner & DBrown. I don't think 20 Gs/50+ pts is unrealistic for Schenn, at 20 years of age. He clearly had a growth-spurt last year, and he's ready, IMO.

For a 3rd line we'd have Stoll with Smyth (admittedly an expen$ive 3rd line LW), with perhaps Trevor Lewis on RW.

The Clifford/Richardson/Simmonds unit could be a checking/energy line, or even just a dominant line, as they were in the POs, if their offense is cooking.

Admittedly, this vision of 4 lines is blurred if Richards doesn't sign with us. But we might acquire someone else, or even get inspired play from Penner next season (at least, if he wants to stay in the good money zone).

In any case, I do see us getting stronger and stronger each season, due to growth of players, plus new talent coming in.

With a little good fortune (a signing, & health and good momentum for Schenn), we could have a formidable 4-line
team next season.

Most of the ingredients (except for Richards or someone like him) are there.

It's partly a case of how raw the ingredients will be next season.

Translation: Jack Johnson & Jonathon Bernier are expendable! :naughty:

Sydor25 06-07-2011 09:55 PM

If Richards is signed by the Kings, Schenn must go to Manchester and Stoll gets traded or Smyth is bought out. No way the Kings have enough cap space to sign Richards and keep everyone you have listed.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 06-07-2011 10:29 PM

We aren't signing Richards

Sydor25 06-07-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss (Post 33492747)
We aren't signing Richards

Thanks Dean. :rolleyes:

SMoneyMonkey 06-07-2011 11:21 PM

Next year is going to be interesting to watch. And I hope we do well. But 2012 is going to be our Cup run year. I rather play it conservative this year, let Richards go, and see what we have. Play a few prospects, see if any of them breakout, and then use next off seasons offloading (Smyth, Stoll, Penner) to fill any holes through trade with prospects who didn't make it. I'd personally want to keep Stoll and Penner but, we'll see.

northernKing 06-07-2011 11:44 PM

Problem with Stoll is he is a very good faceoff guy but not really a shutdown center. I would rather LA make a move to bring back Steckel who is a top end face off guy and has the size and mindset to play that shut down role. Or maybe have Stoll on a line with Lewis where he takes draws but Lewis plays the center role utilizing his speed.

Also Smyth and Stoll on the same line scares me. They did well with Williams, but alot of that was Williams return to his former puck bandit like play. In the playoffs Smyth was too slow and he never seemed to have the puck for more than a second or two before dumping it in. I'd prefer LA taking a risk with trading for Wolski or, if healthy, signing UFA Fleishmann who can also play center or LW. Both still have 30 goal potential and fit in nicely with the age of our core players.

Kingurentai 06-08-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 33492788)

It has been known for a long time that Ricahrds wants to be close to PEI, where he spends a lot of time. If he played in the East, PEI is a hop or two on a plane and he can spend wknds/days off there even during the season.

So to pull him away from that, the Kings will have to pay a huge premium.

Not going to happen.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 06-08-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 33492788)

Here to help, no need posting a thousand more times with useless speculation and pictures of Texas :sarcasm:

FroFan 06-08-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingurentai (Post 33501547)
It has been known for a long time that Ricahrds wants to be close to PEI, where he spends a lot of time. If he played in the East, PEI is a hop or two on a plane and he can spend wknds/days off there even during the season.

So to pull him away from that, the Kings will have to pay a huge premium.

Not going to happen.

I don't see that being feasible. To my knowledge, there aren't any direct flights from NYC to PEI. A quick look online shows the shortest commercial trip is around 6 hours one way, with at least one stop. Even if he chartered his own flights, would the team be willing to let him go, when an unexpected change of weather might prevent his return flight, leaving him stuck in PEI? I don't think so. Even when a team gets a break of 4 or 5 days, players almost never get more than 1 day in a row off during the season. He'd be expected to rejoin the team for practices, etc.

He might want to be closer to PEI, but it won't be because he can pop over there on his days off.

KINGS17 06-08-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FroFan (Post 33504232)
I don't see that being feasible. To my knowledge, there aren't any direct flights from NYC to PEI. A quick look online shows the shortest commercial trip is around 6 hours one way, with at least one stop. Even if he chartered his own flights, would the team be willing to let him go, when an unexpected change of weather might prevent his return flight, leaving him stuck in PEI? I don't think so. Even when a team gets a break of 4 or 5 days, players almost never get more than 1 day in a row off during the season. He'd be expected to rejoin the team for practices, etc.

He might want to be closer to PEI, but it won't be because he can pop over there on his days off.

Yeah, much more likely friends and family in PEI would visit him in NYC.

Kingurentai 06-08-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Be that as it may, the end reuslt is the same.

He prefers the east and closer to PEI.

End result: Kings will have to pay a premium for him/he prefers elsewhere = he's not coming here.

tantrum4* 06-08-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

What he said

tantrum4* 06-08-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nK (Post 33494262)
Problem with Stoll is he is a very good faceoff guy but not really a shutdown center. I would rather LA make a move to bring back Steckel who is a top end face off guy and has the size and mindset to play that shut down role. Or maybe have Stoll on a line with Lewis where he takes draws but Lewis plays the center role utilizing his speed.

Also Smyth and Stoll on the same line scares me. They did well with Williams, but alot of that was Williams return to his former puck bandit like play. In the playoffs Smyth was too slow and he never seemed to have the puck for more than a second or two before dumping it in. I'd prefer LA taking a risk with trading for Wolski or, if healthy, signing UFA Fleishmann who can also play center or LW. Both still have 30 goal potential and fit in nicely with the age of our core players.

I know a lot of you don't care for the shootout, but the fact is, it's here and it isn't going away any time soon. Why would we want to get rid of one of the best face off men in the league, who also is the best shootout scorer in the league? Funny how fans in Vancouver love Manny Malhotra like he's a god around the city and all he does is win faceoffs, and Kings fans want to throw their own players under the bus and run them out of town. Blows me away how some of you don't support your own players top to bottom.

FroFan 06-08-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGS17 (Post 33504885)
Yeah, much more likely friends and family in PEI would visit him in NYC.

That's certainly fair enough.

savemefromtears 06-08-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tantrum4 (Post 33508480)
I know a lot of you don't care for the shootout, but the fact is, it's here and it isn't going away any time soon. Why would we want to get rid of one of the best face off men in the league, who also is the best shootout scorer in the league? Funny how fans in Vancouver love Manny Malhotra like he's a god around the city and all he does is win faceoffs, and Kings fans want to throw their own players under the bus and run them out of town. Blows me away how some of you don't support your own players top to bottom.

Fans just want to see how glorious their rosters look on paper rather than identifying all the little things it takes to win the Stanley Cup, Kings fans included.

I'd love Stoll to score more on the PP rather than miss the net by at least 3 feet, but in a way he's a leader on this team and easily is our go to guy for faceoffs. He's not going anywhere.

He'll be moved from the 2nd line center to the 3rd, making Zus expendable (unless he's willing to sign for ultra cheap, which I don't see happening).

Sydor25 06-08-2011 11:24 PM

I wouldn't sign Handzus for a dollar. He is used way too much by Murray. Dean needs to keep him off the roster.

Kurrilino 06-09-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savemefromtears (Post 33520759)
Fans just want to see how glorious their rosters look on paper rather than identifying all the little things it takes to win the Stanley Cup, Kings fans included.

I'd love Stoll to score more on the PP rather than miss the net by at least 3 feet, but in a way he's a leader on this team and easily is our go to guy for faceoffs. He's not going anywhere.

He'll be moved from the 2nd line center to the 3rd, making Zus expendable (unless he's willing to sign for ultra cheap, which I don't see happening).

Is this you Terry ??????

It's not that complicated.
You don't need little things, you need to do the big things right.
Basically you just have to score more goals than the opponent.

How a player, who is not scoring goals and is not able to control the game to make his linemates scoring goals, is important to the team is way beyond me.

And i would love to hear an explanation for you guys incredible love for faceoffs.

What the hell is making the faceoff so important to you guys ?

KINGS17 06-09-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurrilino (Post 33528693)
Is this you Terry ??????

It's not that complicated.
You don't need little things, you need to do the big things right.
Basically you just have to score more goals than the opponent.

How a player, who is not scoring goals and is not able to control the game to make his linemates scoring goals, is important to the team is way beyond me.

And i would love to hear an explanation for you guys incredible love for faceoffs.

Possession is 9/10's of the law.

johnjm22 06-09-2011 01:18 PM

Richards would be nice (assuming he doesn't suck), but I don't think we need him to roll 4 lines.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Lewis
Parse, Westgarth

Terry will insist on using Westgarth, which eliminates the possibility of having 4 NHL caliber lines.

Quattro 06-09-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

wow - really? Have you ever heard of the term "puck possession"?

markisonfire 06-09-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

You can't score goals if you don't have the puck. The top ten teams in terms of face off percentage:
  1. Vancouver
  2. San Jose
  3. Detroit
  4. Florida
  5. Boston
  6. Washington
  7. Phoenix
  8. Colombus
  9. New Jersey
  10. Los Angeles

Seven of the top ten teams made the playoffs this year.

KopitarFAN 06-09-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markisonfire (Post 33531199)
You can't score goals if you don't have the puck. The top ten teams in terms of face off percentage:
  1. Vancouver
  2. San Jose
  3. Detroit
  4. Florida
  5. Boston
  6. Washington
  7. Phoenix
  8. Colombus
  9. New Jersey
  10. Los Angeles

Seven of the top ten teams made the playoffs this year.

Never would've guessed #10. Seemed like Stoll was the only one who could cleanly win a draw for a good portion of the year.

KINGS17 06-09-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KopitarFAN (Post 33531297)
Never would've guessed #10. Seemed like Stoll was the only one who could cleanly win a draw for a good portion of the year.

Handzus had his moments as well, but yeah Stoll took most of the important draws. Our percentage as a team was top ten I am guessing due to Stoll's dominance on the dot.

NHL Leaders in Faceoff Pct.

5. Stoll 57.5%
41. Handzus 51.7%
56. Kopitar 49.9%

Even Kopitar didn't suck at it, and with Stoll taking as many faceoffs as he does and being top 5, the Kings are top 10 in the NHL.

JT Dutch* 06-09-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGS17 (Post 33531909)
Handzus had his moments as well, but yeah Stoll took most of the important draws.

... Well, I suppose it's all based on what people would deem to be important, but:

When the Kings were shorthanded, Handzus took 255 draws in the defensive zone, while Stoll took 198.

When the Kings were on the power play, Handzus took 182 draws in the offensive zone, while Stoll took 180.

Stoll took more draws 5-on-5, but if you're looking at draws on special teams to be more critical to the outcome of the game (based on the increased probability of scoring or giving up a goal in those scenarios), then Handzus took more of the important faceoffs than Stoll did.