HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings Vision: Dean Lombardi On Playing In Europe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=923809)

KingsVision 06-09-2011 10:50 PM

Dean Lombardi On Playing In Europe

Dean Lombardi On Playing In Europe

http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/kings/thumbs/117614_es.jpg

GM Dean Lombardi discusses how the team will get ready for their games in Europe to start the 2011-12 season.

Click HERE to watch!

PSP 06-10-2011 08:04 AM

This is ludicrous.

If even the GM of your team admits that recovering from playing in Europe at the beginning of the regular season is a serious issue, why else would you possibly do it other than put some more money in Uncle Phil's already bulging pockets?

Quattro 06-10-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSP (Post 33544951)
This is ludicrous.

If even the GM of your team admits that recovering from playing in Europe at the beginning of the regular season is a serious issue, why else would you possibly do it other than put some more money in Uncle Phil's already bulging pockets?

gee, PSP has a problem with this, alert the media :laugh:

j/k - anyway, I think the fatigue thing is overblown. Doesn't seem to be hurting the Bruins this year ;)

KINGS17 06-10-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

This is ludicrous.

But they're going to spend it all on a sleep doctor. :)

Telos 06-10-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

This is ludicrous.

Because Uncle Phil owns the team, and you do not want to mess with an angry Uncle Phil.

http://kaufmantoldmesettheworldonfir...z115312235.jpg

PSP 06-10-2011 03:00 PM

Tease all you want, but what's the point of making it any harder for your team than it absolutely has to be?

While we are at it, why bother with multi-game East Coast road trips - let's just have them fly back and forth for each game.

...and since it really doesn't matter if the players feel like crap, how about scheduling practice for 5PM at Staples on game days! That way they'll be free to work in that broomball birthday party in El Segundo

Boba Fettuccine 06-10-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

This is ludicrous.

http://rlv.zcache.com/hyperjet_engin...32q6ws_400.jpg

Quattro 06-10-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSP (Post 33552032)
Tease all you want, but what's the point of making it any harder for your team than it absolutely has to be?

While we are at it, why bother with multi-game East Coast road trips - let's just have them fly back and forth for each game.

...and since it really doesn't matter if the players feel like crap, how about scheduling practice for 5PM at Staples on game days! That way they'll be free to work in that broomball birthday party in El Segundo

You make it sound like the Kings are the only team that has to go to Europe. The league has pretty much been rotating all the teams through over the past few years.

Fishhead 06-10-2011 05:08 PM

With all the travel the west coast teams have during the season, I don't see why East Coast teams shouldn't be the ones exclusively going to Europe. Not only are they already closer, but during the season most of them don't even leave their time zone for away games.

I understand the need to market the league, but 12+ hour flights are a bit much.

PSP 06-10-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishhead (Post 33554178)
With all the travel the west coast teams have during the season, I don't see why East Coast teams shouldn't be the ones exclusively going to Europe. Not only are they already closer, but during the season most of them don't even leave their time zone for away games.

I understand the need to market the league, but 12+ hour flights are a bit much.

THANK YOU!

... and are the the Kings the first team to go twice?

Buddy The Elf 06-10-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSP (Post 33558249)
THANK YOU!

... and are the the Kings the first team to go twice?

No.. the Ducks are. :sarcasm:

Sydor25 06-10-2011 08:50 PM

Good thing the Kings aren't in the Southeast division. PSP would have an aneurism with the extra travel to Winnipeg. :sarcasm:

PSP 06-10-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf (Post 33559264)
No.. the Ducks are. :sarcasm:

OK - 2 of 30 teams still sucks :nod:

PSP 06-10-2011 08:53 PM

When is Toronto going? What about Vancouver? Colorado?

Sydor25 06-10-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSP (Post 33559878)
When is Toronto going? What about Vancouver? Colorado?

Do their owners own arenas in Europe too? :naughty:

Staples doesn't even make the front page anymore...

http://www.aegworldwide.com/facilities/arenas/arenas

Just imagine all of the extra Kings' jerseys that they will sell in Europe, this will allow Dean to spend to the cap. All of the future NHL players from Europe will grow up Kings fans and will sign for less to play in LA. :D

kingsfan28 06-10-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattro (Post 33552393)
You make it sound like the Kings are the only team that has to go to Europe. The league has pretty much been rotating all the teams through over the past few years.

This is the second time in 4 years. I cant wait til the Kings open in China when AEG decide they want to show off another arena.

PSP 06-10-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 33560005)
Do their owners own arenas in Europe too? :naughty:

Staples doesn't even make the front page anymore...

http://www.aegworldwide.com/facilities/arenas/arenas

Just imagine all of the extra Kings' jerseys that they will sell in Europe, this will allow Dean to spend to the cap. All of the future NHL players from Europe will grow up Kings fans and will sign for less to play in LA. :D

Yeah, like the Kings will EVER see that money :sarcasm:

This whole situation is total crap. I know that I'm pi$$ing into the wind - I just want MY team to have the best possible chance to succeed. Is that really too much to ask?

I don't give a crap how much Uncle Phil makes so long as MY team prospers - and this looks like a losing proposition for my team.

I just don't want to hear the BS excuses when the Kings have trouble making the playoffs because they had to go to Europe to start the season

DL knows that it's the wrong call - that's clear in this post. If he didn't think that this was an issue, would he record a message about how they were going to try to deal with it?

PSP 06-10-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 33560005)

Are you seriously more concerned about how much money they make vs giving them the best possible chance to win the Cup?

Are you an AEG fan or a Kings fan? :sarcasm:

Tadite 06-10-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan28 (Post 33560603)
This is the second time in 4 years. I cant wait til the Kings open in China when AEG decide they want to show off another arena.

Wow second time in two years. I don't know how they'll survive going to big bad Europe.

Goodness let alone china! Because you know no one in californa has ever been to another continent!!!

PSP 06-10-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadite (Post 33561099)
Wow second time in two years. I don't know how they'll survive going to big bad Europe.

Goodness let alone china! Because you know no one in californa has ever been to another continent!!!

Tadite, I realize that it isn't that big of a deal as a tourist, but DL felt strongly enough about it to post something on KingsVision.

It may be only 3 or 4 time zones for the Eastern teams, but it's 6 or 7 time zones for the Western teams. It was a big deal last time - and probably will be this time. Three or 4 points made a huge diffence in the Western Conference - why handcuff your team unnecessarily?

KopitarFAN 06-10-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSP (Post 33561342)
Tadite, I realize that it isn't that big of a deal as a tourist, but DL felt strongly enough about it to post something on KingsVision.

It may be only 3 or 4 time zones for the Eastern teams, but it's 6 or 7 time zones for the Western teams. It was a big deal last time - and probably will be this time. Three or 4 points made a huge diffence in the Western Conference - why handcuff your team unnecessarily?

He was simply asked the question.

I'm sure he didn't say, "let me have a quick rant about how I don't want to go play in europe."

As far as "handcuffing" the team, the teams that go over there usually get a few more favorable breaks in scheduling. Like maybe 2-3 weeks that they don't go farther east than the mountain time zone. Plus the month(usually January) that they're home pretty much the whole time(I know that was a detriment this year, but whatever) to accommodate for grammy month.

Sydor25 06-10-2011 11:09 PM

Speaking of the Europe games, do we know what time they start? Will these end up early morning games over here?

kingsfan28 06-10-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadite (Post 33561099)

Point missed...sigh.:shakehead

Ziggy Stardust 06-10-2011 11:39 PM

Memories of the last European trip in 2007:
Jason LaBarbera nearly losing the Kings' exhibition game against EC Red Bull Salzburg. The Kings won the game 7-6, winning their only championship in team history, the Red Bull Cup.

DAkings20 06-10-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 33564478)
Memories of the last European trip in 2007:
Jason LaBarbera nearly losing the Kings' exhibition game against EC Red Bull Salzburg. The Kings won the game 7-6, winning their only championship in team history, the Red Bull Cup.

Hey that championship gives you wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings!