HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor Habs in talks with Markov, Wizniewski (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=924044)

bigdrew99 06-10-2011 04:43 PM

Habs in talks with Markov, Wizniewski

According to the team990 Montreal,
Tony Marinaro stated that from a reliable source, the habs will resign both Markov and Wizniewski before July 1st.

caley 06-10-2011 04:52 PM

Interesting, I'd heard the Habs were in talks with Markov and Gorges, but that they hadn't spoken with Wizniewski at all.

shiram 06-10-2011 04:58 PM

That's interesting, and Tony is not too bad on rumours.
Guess it would mean Gorges is gone though.

habs03 06-10-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiram (Post 33553042)

No way, I think Markov and Gorges are 100% back, if Wiz is resigned it just means no money to spend on a top 6 winger.

Plus I think Habs plan on signing another D-man anyways even if Wiz isn't resigned, maybe someone like Jan Hedja. But if Markov, and Wiz are signed, we're going to have an issue for the PP, who plays on the first unit, Subban/Markov/Wiz lol..

habsrule22 06-10-2011 05:03 PM

that would make
Markov - Wiz
Yemelin - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Weber

PG may have trade in the works for Spacek, Probably a package deal with other players.

shiram 06-10-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs03 (Post 33553136)
No way, I think Markov and Gorges are 100% back, if Wiz is resigned it just means no money to spend on a top 6 winger.

Plus I think Habs plan on signing another D-man anyways even if Wiz isn't resigned, maybe someone like Jan Hedja. But if Markov, and Wiz are signed, we're going to have an issue for the PP, who plays on the first unit, Subban/Markov/Wiz lol..

I'd rather the Habs keep Gorges as well, but cap is limited, and there is Diaz as well pushing for a spot.

Zeroknowledge* 06-10-2011 05:11 PM

Gorges is RFA, young and a great shut down Dman, there's no chance he doesn't get resigned unless he is part of a major trade.

Dylonus 06-10-2011 05:11 PM

I'm guessing that either

(A) Markov takes a paycut

or

(B) gets a two-year deal at most.

Markov is a phenomenal player, but his injuries woes are a huge no-no to me.

ProMath 06-10-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

That the kind of issue that is easier to deal with ;0

montreal 06-10-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiram (Post 33553042)

I highly doubt Gorges is gone, fully expect him to get a multi year deal from the Habs.

Quote:

If the Wiz is back then I assume something could be up with Spacek. I know there were rumors that he was considering retiring, but perhaps he could be moved to a team needing help on the blueline, since he would come cheap.

habsrule22 06-10-2011 05:13 PM

I think they have a plan for Spacek and a player in mind for their top 6

shiram 06-10-2011 05:16 PM

I guess it depends on Wiz and Markov, if the Habs are willing to offer long term to Markov, he might take a smaller salary, same for Wiz.

But they'd have to be able to move Spacek for that, or have a trade in the pipeline coming.

Stjonnypopo 06-10-2011 05:19 PM

Markov - Emelin (assuming he's the real deal)
Subban - Gill
Gorges - Wiz

Roll all three lines 20 minutes a game. Markov would help Emelin along and Emelin would compliment Markov's play like Komisarek did back when he was still good. Subban and Gill continue the bond they got going from last season, and Gorges / Wiz round out the line-up with a good offensive/defensive combo.

This would be the best D line-up we've seen in years!

habsrule22 06-10-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo (Post 33553425)
Subban - Gill
Gorges - Wiz

Roll all three lines 20 minutes a game. Markov would help Emelin along and Emelin would compliment Markov's play like Komisarek did back when he was still good. Subban and Gill continue the bond they got going from last season, and Gorges / Wiz round out the line-up with a good offensive/defensive combo.

That might be the pairing at some point the season but I think you ll see to start season

Markov - Wiz
Yemelin - PK
Gill - Gorges

Habs Fan In Ottawa* 06-10-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo (Post 33553425)
Subban - Gill
Gorges - Wiz

No way Emelin gets top pairing in his first season :laugh:
And Wiz won't sign for 4m+ and then want to play bottom paring mins

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Emelin

Assuming we resign Wiz

Markov - Wiz
Subban Gill
Gorges - Emelin

dm1371 06-10-2011 06:09 PM

I think that we should let Wiz go, he's a beast offensively but questionable defensively and will ask for too much. I'd rather spend money on top 6 fwds

Analyzer 06-10-2011 06:31 PM

The thread on the habs board was locked.

As for Gorges, he was promised a while ago a contract.

I'm willing to bet the habs are going to sign Markov and Gorges and try to get Wiz done in the last week, or so, or trade his rights for a 4th.

I sadly can't see Montréal re-signing him. :(

Ginu 06-10-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dm1371 (Post 33554181)
I think that we should let Wiz go, he's a beast offensively but questionable defensively and will ask for too much. I'd rather spend money on top 6 fwds

People keep saying this except, every time I watched him, he did no worse than Hamrlik or Spacek. People just like giving the "sexy" answer to prove a point even if there's no evidence for it. He was not questionable defensively since we acquired him, at least no more than the rest of our defensemen.

habsrule22 06-10-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 33554494)
The thread on the habs board was locked.

As for Gorges, he was promised a while ago a contract.

I'm willing to bet the habs are going to sign Markov and Gorges and try to get Wiz done in the last week, or so, or trade his rights for a 4th.

I sadly can't see Montréal re-signing him. :(

I think that depends who they have in mind for there top 6 spot beside Pleks and what he will cost. The other is Spacek, does PG have a potential trade in the works for him. If the finals and the regular season the Habs just had is showing that you can never have enough defensemen. Maybe they will carry 8 next year. He won t have to scramble if 1 goes down.

Blind Gardien 06-10-2011 08:19 PM

I'm surprised that everybody automatically puts Emelin in the top-6. I think that's a pretty big TBD. And it's also why it's not a big issue if Spacek can't be moved. If Wisniewski was signed, it'd probably mean that Martin's comments about getting faster on D was going to happen at the expense of Hamrlik. I don't think it's sensible to factor Diaz into anything at all atm. He's more likely bound for Hamilton.

If they can't get Wisniewski locked up, I sure hope they turn their attention back to Hamrlik, though. He may not be quick, but he has been a rock for the Habs at times.

MathMan 06-11-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 33556208)
I'm surprised that everybody automatically puts Emelin in the top-6. I think that's a pretty big TBD.

Not so much. Yemelin is not a raw rookie, he is a seasoned pro who's played big minutes in the second-best pro league in the world. That he is NHL caliber shouldn't be in much doubt. The question is more whether he is a top-4 defenseman and/or whether he can grow into that.

Vsevolod Bobrov 06-11-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathMan (Post 33564264)
Not so much. Yemelin is not a raw rookie, he is a seasoned pro who's played big minutes in the second-best pro league in the world. That he is NHL caliber shouldn't be in much doubt. The question is more whether he is a top-4 defenseman and/or whether he can grow into that.

I think it's much more questionable that he's a lock for the top6 than that he will be a top4 dman right off the start.

DBU 06-11-2011 03:10 AM

Is Markov injury-free? Why would the Habs want to put themselves through x more years of dealing with his injuries?

Talks to Goalposts 06-11-2011 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelinas (Post 33565909)
Is Markov injury-free? Why would the Habs want to put themselves through x more years of dealing with his injuries?

Because

1) He's the best player they could possibly get

2) Injuries tend to be more a matter of random happenstance that could happen to anyone rather than fundamental traits of a player. The reality is that Markov came back to soon from a knee injury and re-injured it. The risk might be higher now, but its a lesser example of the Penguins wanting Crosby back despite his severe concussion problems.

Bourne Endeavor 06-11-2011 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelinas (Post 33565909)

Simple, a health Markov is a top ten defenseman in the league. He is the type of player you take a gamble on despite injury woes because the reward is so significant. With him, Wisniewski and Gorges signed, Montreal would have one of the strongest defensive cores league wide. Walking away from Markov would be absolutely moronic for management.

My assumption is Markov is inked to his current salary ($5.75m) for a season or two, Wisniewski takes $4.5m and Gorges wraps up $2.0m. Going over capgeek with those numbers, the Habs would still having over five million to play with. I included the relatively minor raises to Desharnais and Pacioretty, in addition to leaving Spacek on the roster as an eighth defenseman. So we can easily afford all three and still sign a decent UFA.