HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Nils Ekman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=92412)

BobMarleyNYR 07-19-2004 11:49 PM

Nils Ekman
 
When we had Ekman I thought he should've been a 2nd line LW. From what I remember, we didn't utilize him once... then he goes to SJ and has so much success. Can anyone tell me why? Is he a western conference type?

TheZherdev 07-19-2004 11:52 PM

ITS THE RAngERS CURSE. THATS Y!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Edge 07-20-2004 12:08 AM

To be perfectly honest with you he really wasnt that impressive in Hartford and was already in his late 20's.

Clearly he made it elsewhere but it's just one of those situations that happens sometimes. Kinda like why Barnaby bounced from team to team before refinding his career here or why Joel Bouchard played the hockey of his life in a blueshirt.

Sometimes players take longer to develop and sometimes they just fall into the right situation at the right time. While I am impressed with Ekman's performance from this past year, i also think it was the right place at the right time. This is a guy who couldn't crack the lineup of some pretty awful Flames, Bolts and Rangers teams and was never the best player on ANY of their AHL affiliate rosters.

Sometimes it just happens.

canuck293 07-20-2004 12:42 AM

same thing with st. louis, he didn't do much in calgary, he was never thought to be someone who could win the hart, but sometimes a player needs a change of teams, or a little longer to get everything together!

Edge 07-20-2004 12:53 AM

Also a valid point. There is no real formula to developing a player sometimes.

Sometimes you get a guy like St. Louis who goes on to become a star. Most times they move on and still do nothing. Once in a while they have one good year after the move and then fade back into obscurity.

BobMarleyNYR 07-20-2004 12:54 AM

I guess we'll call it the Roloson-effect...

Edge 07-20-2004 12:56 AM

That might be the BEST example.....

Brooklyn Ranger 07-20-2004 01:08 AM

Two reasons: he was hurt early in the season, when the Rangers really needed help. And he pissed Sather and Co. off with his attitude the year before when he tried to get a one-way deal from the Rangers after coming here from Tampa Bay and then spending a year in Sweden before coming here.

I have to disagree with Edge here: Ekman was one of the leading scorers at Hartford that year. Our two "top" LWs that season were Barnaby and Petrovicky. He never got one game in the NHL. And his play previously with Tampa Bay (20 points in less than 45 games) certainly did suggest that this past season with San Jose was no fluke. Not to mention that he had a significantly better season than either of Sather's LW free agent signings--including scoring more goals (22) than Rucinsky and Hlavac combined. Played on the PK too--scored 4 SH goals.

But, of course, his attitude sucked while he was here (that was Sather's argument). So, no NHL games for Nisse.

Thresher 07-20-2004 01:12 AM

Ekman definately had a wonderful regular season run w/ the Sharks... 22 goals, 33 asst & a +30...however, in the 16 (of 17 - he was scratched once) games in the postseason - he authored zero goals and just 3 assts...coming in at a -2

He wasn't too shabby with the Lightning during their 2000-2001 campaign...in 43 games, he knocked in 9 goals & had 11 assts for 20 pts...but, was a -15 (ouch)

I'm a bit worried about his postseason performance...or lack thereof...I guess we'll know soon enough if it was just a lucky run for the 28-yr old Swede...or if the SJ vibe really does suit his style - allowing him to repeat or excel once again

ya just never know

Brooklyn Ranger 07-20-2004 01:14 AM

At least he got a chance to play in the post-season :eek:

Thresher 07-20-2004 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
At least he got a chance to play in the post-season :eek:

true - true

though I don't know if I'd necessarily use the word plaaay - haha...Ekman, the friendly postseason ghost

Edge 07-20-2004 01:46 AM

Quote:

I have to disagree with Edge here: Ekman was one of the leading scorers at Hartford that year. Our two "top" LWs that season were Barnaby and Petrovicky. He never got one game in the NHL. And his play previously with Tampa Bay (20 points in less than 45 games) certainly did suggest that this past season with San Jose was no fluke. Not to mention that he had a significantly better season than either of Sather's LW free agent signings--including scoring more goals (22) than Rucinsky and Hlavac combined. Played on the PK too--scored 4 SH goals.
But let's be honest here Brook, if this brought up a 27 year old journymen winger from Sweden the majority of people would have *****ing all the same. The guy was 27, not 23 or even 24 but all of a few months younger than guys who were drafted 9 years before.

Seeing him in Hartford a few times he was a nice player, but he wasn't exactly an eye popping talent esp. when factoring in that he was as old as he was.

The 20 points he had in 45 games with the blots was also with some serious looks thrown his way. But we also can't ignore that he had all of four points in his 28 game look from the season before that.

As for his little ploy about the one way contract, it should be noted that it was the SECOND time he pulled a little disappearing act to Europe. The first time was in the Flames organization than went back overseas the following season for reasons he easily could have prevented.

I just think we are getting a little carried away with a player who scored 22 goals out of nowhere. Ya know it wasn't that long ago that Jan Hlvac had a couple of 20 goals seasons for his third organization.

My point is that the lighs can flash just on just as quickly as they flash off. Not saying they will, but I'm not ready to go all to pieces just yet.

22 goals is nice, but he had it on a playoff bound team that really put all the pieces together. You gotta know he's lucky to his 20 on a team that wasn't firing on as many cylinders.

His performance in the playoffs reminded me A LOT more of the player I saw in the minors for several seasons before hand. That's one reason i am taking a wait and see approach with him. For all his talent and talk of how Sather didn't give him a chance, he is with his fourth organization in the last six seasons.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-20-2004 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thresher
true - true

though I don't know if I'd necessarily use the word plaaay - haha...Ekman, the friendly postseason ghost

Gives him something to improve upon. And I'm sure he'll get another chance long before the Rangers are in the playoffs again.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-20-2004 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
But let's be honest here Brook, if this brought up a 27 year old journymen winger from Sweden the majority of people would have *****ing all the same. The guy was 27, not 23 or even 24 but all of a few months younger than guys who were drafted 9 years before.

Seeing him in Hartford a few times he was a nice player, but he wasn't exactly an eye popping talent esp. when factoring in that he was as old as he was.

The 20 points he had in 45 games with the blots was also with some serious looks thrown his way. But we also can't ignore that he had all of four points in his 28 game look from the season before that.

As for his little ploy about the one way contract, it should be noted that it was the SECOND time he pulled a little disappearing act to Europe. The first time was in the Flames organization than went back overseas the following season for reasons he easily could have prevented.

I just think we are getting a little carried away with a player who scored 22 goals out of nowhere. Ya know it wasn't that long ago that Jan Hlvac had a couple of 20 goals seasons for his third organization.

My point is that the lighs can flash just on just as quickly as they flash off. Not saying they will, but I'm not ready to go all to pieces just yet.

22 goals is nice, but he had it on a playoff bound team that really put all the pieces together. You gotta know he's lucky to his 20 on a team that wasn't firing on as many cylinders.

His performance in the playoffs reminded me A LOT more of the player I saw in the minors for several seasons before hand. That's one reason i am taking a wait and see approach with him. For all his talent and talk of how Sather didn't give him a chance, he is with his fourth organization in the last six seasons.

Hey, I don't deny any of what you say. However, in a year where our "best" LW was Barnaby, he deserved a chance. The fact that he didn't get even a sniff is still very annoying to me.

Also, he may not have been a spring chicken, but he is a hell of a lot younger than Tim Taylor and light-years faster. Cuter too. :amazed:

Edge 07-20-2004 01:57 AM

I agree he should have at least gotten a look, but personally looking back I just can't see him doing much.

There is also a rumor {i dont know how true} that there were some personality conflicts with Ekman down in Hartford as well that lead to his lack of callups and his immediate departure during the offseason.

Whether or not that played a part, I really don't know.

ark110 07-20-2004 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Hey, I don't deny any of what you say. However, in a year where our "best" LW was Barnaby, he deserved a chance. The fact that he didn't get even a sniff is still very annoying to me.


I agree 100%

Guess they couldn't afford to bring him up because they needed to evaluate Dixon Ward.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-20-2004 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark110
I agree 100%

Guess they couldn't afford to bring him up because they needed to evaluate Dixon Ward.

Another veteran signing that did SO much for the team! And the jerk didn't even come to camp in shape.

Thresher 07-20-2004 02:29 AM

Also, Ekman was one of five Sharks to file for arbitration...Scott Parker, Vesa Toskala, Scott Hannan & Evengi Nabokov being the other four

It will be interesting to know if a settlement can be reached prior to the hearing

It's a bit disheartening to read this news of Ekman & possible personality issues/conflicts...on the ice, with the fans & during Shark Byte episodes - he always came across as being this super happy-go-lucky, funny, chipper kind of guy...at times like these - I wish I had access to inside info....behind closed doors, for all I know - he could resemble this lil' fella ---> :mad:


*edit* - This thread has inspired me to go back & reload the 'ekatar'

Fish 07-20-2004 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Another veteran signing that did SO much for the team! And the jerk didn't even come to camp in shape.

Oh but a camp he had ;)

I like you Brook, were one of the few people on this board that wanted Ekman to be given a shot when he was here. I seem to recall that he had a chance out of camp but that the first injury put paid to that idea...

Fletch 07-20-2004 09:03 AM

I agree with both Edge and Brook...
 
he wasn't putting up great numbers (especially for a 26 year old) in the AHL, but he did at least deserve a look at the big club which was having so many problems at that postion. Further, as the Rangers sought to replace Hlavac on Nedved's left, Ekman would've been the logical candidate for a tryout, at least at some point in the season. Further, he did have some NHL experience (9 goals, 43 games I believe) and his IHL numbers the previous year were pretty good too (or two previous years). But, who knows what difference it would've made and who knows what kind of season lies ahead of him.

Fish 07-20-2004 11:14 AM

The irony I guess is that I thought he might be a useful penalty killer with his speed...and the offense I considered was just a bonus :)

Brooklyn Ranger 07-20-2004 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
he wasn't putting up great numbers (especially for a 26 year old) in the AHL, but he did at least deserve a look at the big club which was having so many problems at that postion. Further, as the Rangers sought to replace Hlavac on Nedved's left, Ekman would've been the logical candidate for a tryout, at least at some point in the season. Further, he did have some NHL experience (9 goals, 43 games I believe) and his IHL numbers the previous year were pretty good too (or two previous years). But, who knows what difference it would've made and who knows what kind of season lies ahead of him.

Hlavac came the next season (the one just past). When Ekman was here, our top 2 left wings were Barnaby and Petrovicky.

dawes 07-20-2004 03:05 PM

If I have to chose a PK player I'd rather have him be like Ortmeyer, Betts or Murray where they will relish the job and make people pay also. In this conference you can't throw soft players like Ekman out there.

BobMarleyNYR 07-20-2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Hey, I don't deny any of what you say. However, in a year where our "best" LW was Barnaby, he deserved a chance. The fact that he didn't get even a sniff is still very annoying to me.

Also, he may not have been a spring chicken, but he is a hell of a lot younger than Tim Taylor and light-years faster. Cuter too. :amazed:

OK, PLEASE don't think this is an attack of any kind, and it isn't even a big deal!

I know the last comment was NOT your justification for keeping him, but it annoys me when women do that! Not you in particular... Some women I know are the biggest Chad Wiseman supporters I know... why? Hmmm... ;)

Can't wait to see what my puckbunny friends (who think Joe Thornton and Mike York are the best players ever!) have to say about Strudwick.

Fish 07-20-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawes
If I have to chose a PK player I'd rather have him be like Ortmeyer, Betts or Murray where they will relish the job and make people pay also. In this conference you can't throw soft players like Ekman out there.

Ekman isn't the most physical player out there, but I wouldn't call him soft...not in the Jan Hlavac sense anyway, more like Niklas Lidstrom.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.