HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Eller/Leblanc Shoulder Injuries (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=924993)

montreal 06-13-2011 09:41 AM

Eller/Leblanc Shoulder Injuries

Since both went under the knife days apart (I think Eller went under a month ago today and Leblanc went 3 days before Eller) both are said to be out 4-6 months. If things go well for both, I assume they will be ready by the time the main training camp opens is Sept. That would be 4 months though, so perhaps they won't be ready until the start of the season.

It would suck to see them both miss training camp, but it really sucks that both can't workout on their upper body strength this summer, was hoping that both would add some muscle to their frames especially for Leblanc.

I am concerned about what kind of impact it's going to have on them if they aren't ready in time for camp, I don't mind vets missing camp so much, but for such young players, you hate to see them on the shelf for so long. Hopefully this doesn't affect either of their seasons too much, especially Leblanc as a bad start in Hamilton and fans will be up in arms about him being a bust.

When you add in the injury to Pacioretty, it becomes even more bizzare, as how often do you see a team that has 3 of it's top young players/prospects get major injuries all around the same time. Granted Pac is said to be 100% but you still got to worry about any mental issues he may have in returning from almost being killed from an intenional hit that the league did nothing about.

I don't expect any problems with Pac, and think he's going to have a big year, harder to say what we'll get from Eller and Leblanc, not that I think their injuries will hamper them, but I do wonder what missing the entire summer will impact them. Eller has really grown on me and I'm a bigger fan of Leblanc then most (and I didn't want us to draft him!) so I hope both rip it up next year.

Dan K 06-13-2011 09:45 AM

Agreed, what a horrible year health-wise for many of our players.

I'm not so concerned about Leblanc. Happy to let him take his time in adapting to the AHL, as I wouldn't have expected a call-up at all during this season anyway.

For Eller, however, it's certainly a nuisance. I, like many around here, see a ton of potential in the guy. By no means suggesting he'll be ANYWHERE NEAR as good, but I find his style much like Peter Forsberg's. That is who I see when I watch Eller protect the puck and come off the boards. I was hoping for a big second year out of him, but not being able to go hard in training this summer, and then potentially missing camp, could mean it'll be a tough go for him. No reason to really be discouraged, but we should temper expectations, at least for the first half of the year. Fortunately, we have two adequate offensive third line centers, so if he does take his time to recover, Desharnais can handle the job (assuming HE'S fully healthy by that time).

Gros Bill 06-13-2011 10:51 AM

It would be better had they not been injured or not needed surgery. But Leblanc was on TV last week (?), saying that he could start working out in about 2 weeks. And rehab will "force" them to work out properly, granted at a lower intensity at the beginning. Bottom line, it is a set-back, but I don't think it's that bad.

neofury* 06-13-2011 10:55 AM

I really hope they send Eller for a conditioning stint in the AHL. That could potentially be win/win in that he will likely need the conditioning anyways and could really boost his confidence playing well down there for a couple games. I'm by no means saying keep him down, just a short stint.

Bullsmith 06-13-2011 11:01 AM

I hate shoulder injuries. The timing for both these guys is terrible, really, as they need to make major strides in the strength department. Hopefully they recover fully and then continue to develop. Patience and crossed fingers are about all we can bring to the situation.

Captain Smurf 06-13-2011 12:13 PM

It sucks, but I still think that they will get the opportunity to work on their upper body, albeit not as much as one would like. I've had shoulder surgery before, and while I wasn't allowed to participate in contact sports or situations where I could over extend or reinjure it, my rehab started about a month after the surgery. So they should get the chance to work out, it will just be in a more controlled environment and they won't be able to push them selves too hard.

Patty Roy 06-13-2011 12:20 PM

The Eller injury in particular i think will have an impact on what we do during the UFA period.

It might lead Gauthier to go after a more high profile centerman than he normally would have had Eller been healthy. It's just another reason why i think he would favor a more versatily (and talented) centerman like Talbot over a more limited guy like Konopka. Talbot would be right at home filling in on the 3rd line at least until Eller is ready to go at 100%.

Dan K 06-13-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty Roy (Post 33600500)
The Eller injury in particular i think will have an impact on what we do during the UFA period.

It might lead Gauthier to go after a more high profile centerman than he normally would have had Eller been healthy. It's just another reason why i think he would favor a more versatily (and talented) centerman like Talbot over a more limited guy like Konopka. Talbot would be right at home filling in on the 3rd line at least until Eller is ready to go at 100%.

I don't think it'll change much. We have Desharnais who can take 3rd line center duties until Eller comes back and (likely) one of them shifts to wing.

neofury* 06-13-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

It might but I doubt it. I have a feeling DD will center that line for the beginning of the season.

Scotianhab 06-13-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Konopka is a guy that would look good on our team but I don't know how much he'll get. It shouldn't be much where he's only a 3rd/4th liner. Talbot would be a nice signing as well.

Bullsmith 06-13-2011 12:47 PM

Either Konopka or Talbot would be an upgrade to our foward group over Halperin and I'd be happy if either signed here, assuming the contract wasn't ridiculous. Either way though, I think it makes enormous sense for DD to stay at center till Eller comes back. He's such a smart player, it would be interesting to see how much he'd develop.He can likely transition to the wing without much trouble if and when the time comes.

Talks to Goalposts 06-13-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullsmith (Post 33601062)
Either Konopka or Talbot would be an upgrade to our foward group over Halperin and I'd be happy if either signed here, assuming the contract wasn't ridiculous. Either way though, I think it makes enormous sense for DD to stay at center till Eller comes back. He's such a smart player, it would be interesting to see how much he'd develop.He can likely transition to the wing without much trouble if and when the time comes.

Halpern is actual good a playing hockey. Konopka not so much. Talbot isn't as good as Halpern either.

Talbot is a replaceable part bottom 6er that played sheltered minutes and didn't do much with them.

Konopka is a terrible player who wins faceoffs and fights people. He isn't the answer Habs HFBoards make him out to be.

Halpern plays shutdown minutes succssfully, wins faceoffs and adds a little offense. He's way better than the assortment of cast-offs, goons and energy players that people want to replace him with. He's a player that helps you win, not satisfy the desire for the sideshows of big hits and fights.

larrypacman8167 06-13-2011 01:55 PM

i have no problem signing konopka he is not just a goon, ge can play pk and be responsible defensively the knock i got on him is that he gets way to many stupid penalties but if he can control himself i have no problem changing pyatt for him

montreal 06-13-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill (Post 33598918)
It would be better had they not been injured or not needed surgery. But Leblanc was on TV last week (?), saying that he could start working out in about 2 weeks. And rehab will "force" them to work out properly, granted at a lower intensity at the beginning. Bottom line, it is a set-back, but I don't think it's that bad.

Did he say what kind of work outs he can do, I never had a shoulder injury when I played, so I am justing assuming that they won't be able to do much with the upper body this summer but if that's wrong then great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 33598983)
I really hope they send Eller for a conditioning stint in the AHL. That could potentially be win/win in that he will likely need the conditioning anyways and could really boost his confidence playing well down there for a couple games. I'm by no means saying keep him down, just a short stint.

I don't think they would send him down for conditioning unless he misses the entire camp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Smurf (Post 33600365)
It sucks, but I still think that they will get the opportunity to work on their upper body, albeit not as much as one would like. I've had shoulder surgery before, and while I wasn't allowed to participate in contact sports or situations where I could over extend or reinjure it, my rehab started about a month after the surgery. So they should get the chance to work out, it will just be in a more controlled environment and they won't be able to push them selves too hard.

Well rehabing it soon makes sense but I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to do bench presses, curls, etc... Would just think they wouldn't be able to do much of that at least until late summer, but again never had that injury so I don't really know.

Quote:

I don't think the Eller injury would impact what PG does at all since he's expected back around the start of the season.

Bullsmith 06-13-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts (Post 33601598)
Halpern is actual good a playing hockey. Konopka not so much. Talbot isn't as good as Halpern either.

Talbot is a replaceable part bottom 6er that played sheltered minutes and didn't do much with them.

Konopka is a terrible player who wins faceoffs and fights people. He isn't the answer Habs HFBoards make him out to be.

Halpern plays shutdown minutes succssfully, wins faceoffs and adds a little offense. He's way better than the assortment of cast-offs, goons and energy players that people want to replace him with. He's a player that helps you win, not satisfy the desire for the sideshows of big hits and fights.

His contribution to the team steadily declined last year, which doesn't bode well for a guy in the twilight of his career. By the playoffs Halperin wasn't even taking faceoffs, arguably his best asset to the team. I'm assuming he's gone. Looking forward, I feel Talbot's clearly a better player so we just disagree there. Frankly I won't be surprised if Halpern can't land a job (don't get me wrong, I like Halperin very much and wish him well.) Talbot and Konopka aren't in the same position.

To put it one way, I have no doubt that Konopka and Talbot with both be making considerably more money than Halpern will regardless of where they end up, which would indicate what at least some GMs think of their relative values.

Talks to Goalposts 06-13-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullsmith (Post 33603378)
His contribution to the team steadily declined last year, which doesn't bode well for a guy in the twilight of his career. By the playoffs Halperin wasn't even taking faceoffs, arguably his best asset to the team. I'm assuming he's gone. Looking forward, I feel Talbot's clearly a better player so we just disagree there. Frankly I won't be surprised if Halpern can't land a job (don't get me wrong, I like Halperin very much and wish him well.) Talbot and Konopka aren't in the same position.

To put it one way, I have no doubt that Konopka and Talbot with both be making considerably more money than Halpern will regardless of where they end up, which would indicate what at least some GMs think of their relative values.

Halpern doesn't get money because he's older and has had injuries meaning he has little value as an asset. However, little value as an asset does not equal little value as a player. Halpern stopped taking faceoffs because the Habs had 3 solid centers in Plekanec, Gomez and Eller at the end of the season and he was too defensively valuable to waste on the 4th line. Instead he got first line time to build a super-tough minutes line with Plekanec or was forming the core of the third line with Eller. Halpern was the Hab's lesser version of Manny Malhotra which is an important role.

He's eminently replaceable because non-scoring veterans are a dime a dozen in free agency. But you replace him with another match-up and penalty kill player not relatively pointless guys like Konopka and Talbot who don't help a team play hockey.

To replace Halpern you look for a strong two-way winger to play with Eller on the third line now that he's taken over the third line center job. Some one like Antti Mettinen, Joel Ward, Curtis Glencross if he made free agency or former Hab Chris Higgins.

Monctonscout 06-13-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullsmith (Post 33603378)

If that was the case why was he on the 1st line most of the last 2 months?

If he hits UFA he'll have no problem finding a job...26 points playing 3 rd or 4th line minutes and no PP points...plus one of the top faceoff guys in the league and kills penalities.

The only reason we got him as cheap as we did late last summer is he was looking for a multi year deal and it didn't materialize, similar to Moore the summer before when he ended up with Florida.