HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rumor: Islanders 5th Overall in play (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=925147)

Richiebottles 06-13-2011 06:00 PM

Islanders 5th Overall in play

Taken from the Main Board

Quote:
For the first time since the Collapse-and-Rebuild began in 2008, the Islanders are dangling their first round draft pick as trade bait. NHL sources have told Point Blank that general manager Garth Snow will listen to offers for the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft.

The team is determined to upgrade the current roster in order to make next year’s playoffs. Snow, chief deputy Doug Weight and owner Charles Wang have prioritized adding at least one productive and experienced forward capable of shifting the slow and steady rebuild into overdrive. If the right player is made available, the Islanders will not hesitate to relinquish their rights to draft a talented 18-year-old prospect on the draft floor in Minnesota on Friday night, June 24.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...ten-to-offers/

RoyBoyCoy 06-13-2011 06:02 PM

So the 1st, 5th and 8th are all allegedly in play? Should be a fun draft :yo:

Much like the 1st, I don't think we have the assets (that we'd be willing to trade) for the 5th.

Monctonscout 06-13-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richiebottles (Post 33606823)
Taken from the Main Board

Quote:
For the first time since the Collapse-and-Rebuild began in 2008, the Islanders are dangling their first round draft pick as trade bait. NHL sources have told Point Blank that general manager Garth Snow will listen to offers for the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft.

The team is determined to upgrade the current roster in order to make next year’s playoffs. Snow, chief deputy Doug Weight and owner Charles Wang have prioritized adding at least one productive and experienced forward capable of shifting the slow and steady rebuild into overdrive. If the right player is made available, the Islanders will not hesitate to relinquish their rights to draft a talented 18-year-old prospect on the draft floor in Minnesota on Friday night, June 24.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...ten-to-offers/

I doubt they get any takers...nobody will trade established young NHLers(Subban Price Pacioretty types) for an 18 year old. Maybe they'll trade down a few spots and add a player that can be a regular but it won't be anything high end unless they take on salary...(17th plus Gomez for #5? :laugh: )

Richiebottles 06-13-2011 06:05 PM

I think that they could Target a guy like Pleks (Doubtful) Or cammy

Cammy fits the Bill and we could pick up a franchise guy in Huberdeau or Couturier.

Ayatollah Chowmeini 06-13-2011 06:08 PM

i would do cammy for the fifth in a heartbeat, don't think that garth snow would.

Souffle 06-13-2011 06:09 PM

I would think that the only Montreal forwards that fit the description of what the NYI seem to be looking for are Cammalleri and perhaps Plekanec. But I expect some musing in this thread about packaging Kostitsyn with the 17th overall or Weber.

I am not above such musings. From what I've read about this draft, I would happily trade Kostitsyn and the 17th and hope to find his replacement through UFA or trade. But I doubt Snow or "chief deputy" Doug Weight would go along with it.

cap10bfl 06-13-2011 06:18 PM

as i posted on the main board:

pouliot
weber
kristo/palushaj
17th overall

for

5th overall

not enough?

add spacek if they really ask for it :naughty:
add tinordi?

Zeroknowledge* 06-13-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini (Post 33606956)
i would do cammy for the fifth in a heartbeat, don't think that garth snow would.

So you're willing to trade our top scorer, top playoff performer for a player that will be ready in a year or 2 or even 3, when did we give up on this team and start rebuilding?

Nothing super solid at 5 this year to dangle assets around.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 06-13-2011 06:20 PM

Pouliot rights + AK + Weber rights = 5th overall ofcourse.

Cammy for the 5th? That's actually pretty fair.. maybe Isles add a 2nd. He's not even 30 yet and he's a legit 1st line sniping winger. We would get something like Couturier or Landeskog/Strome/Z-J/Hamilton.

Keep in mind that none of these are guarantees to not underperform at a higher level let alone step in and play right away.

Would you be willing to miss the playoffs and get your hands on a 5th overall kid?
(I know I'll hear "what playoffs? it's early exits all the time anyway")

Bob Cole 06-13-2011 06:20 PM

eller
weber
17th

is that enough?

Markowicz 06-13-2011 06:21 PM

Jeff Carter will be dealt in the draft. Book it.

habsrule22 06-13-2011 06:21 PM

Next year is suppose to be a real good year draft wise. Would you do this year and next year 1 st and Pouliot for the 5 th pick?

Markowicz 06-13-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni (Post 33607186)
eller
weber
17th

is that enough?

They want an impact player. we have no impact players on our roster that we're willing to part ways with. Not for a 5th overall pick anyhow.

donghabs98 06-13-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Jr (Post 33607198)

to us :naughty:

Richiebottles 06-13-2011 06:23 PM

Listen I saw Huberdeau play like most of you guys and he is ready to step into the NHL now. He in my opinion is the Guy that is the most ready and he could be our franchise Center for years to come.... Think about it.... And with the Cap we save B.Richards is a possible option.

Monctonscout 06-13-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richiebottles (Post 33606917)
I think that they could Target a guy like Pleks (Doubtful) Or cammy

Cammy fits the Bill and we could pick up a franchise guy in Huberdeau or Couturier.

Huberdeau and Couturier are good, but expecting them to be franchise players is a stretch.

cap10bfl 06-13-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richiebottles (Post 33607247)
Listen I saw Huberdeau play like most of you guys and he is ready to step into the NHL now. He in my opinion is the Guy that is the most ready and he could be our franchise Center for years to come.... Think about it.... And with the Cap we save B.Richards is a possible option.

i agree, huberdeau is such a complete player, would love to have him here...

i doubt however that he would be available at 5 and i want nothing to do with couturier

S Bah 06-13-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge (Post 33607137)
So you're willing to trade our top scorer, top playoff performer for a player that will be ready in a year or 2 or even 3, when did we give up on this team and start rebuilding?

Nothing super solid at 5 this year to dangle assets around.

I'm thinking that none of the top five can be a franchise type of player,Larsson is probably close but,even he doesn't have the offensive capability to boast that "franchise player"tag on.

Richiebottles 06-13-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 33607271)
Huberdeau and Couturier are good, but expecting them to be franchise players is a stretch.

Unless you are an Epic Bust ( Pouliot ) or someone similar Huberdeau or Couturier probably will outscore Cammy in the long run.

Monctonscout 06-13-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richiebottles (Post 33607334)
Unless you are an Epic Bust ( Pouliot ) or someone similar Huberdeau or Couturier probably will outscore Cammy in the long run.

Yeah but a team in the Habs position doesn't usually deal it's top sniper for an 18 year old. Plus, I doubt the Islanders would do that, they probably want a young NHLer on a cheap contract like Subban, Pacioretty or Price.

JackZap 06-13-2011 06:35 PM

cammy for a 5th is a sideway move at best, guy is clutch in the playoffs. Doubt we have anything they really want unless they would settle for a bunch of grade B players

Markowicz 06-13-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donghabs98 (Post 33607237)
to us :naughty:

Ha! I wish! 5.272M a year until he's 37. That's actually not that bad a deal. I don't see him being the kind of player that will ever devolve into an average player. As i said before, i would offer Eller and our 2011 and 2012 first rounders, or Eller, Weber, and this years first rounder. Maybe Leblanc could be a trading piece too. All i know is that Carter would solve a lot of our problems--i.e. he could be a guy to turn Cammy into the 40 goal guy we all know he can be, or do the same for Patches.

Interesting article by Hindle about why next year Gomez's contract could be much simpler and cheaper to buy out than this year, and not just because his salary goes down:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Steve...tion/139/36356

Gotta say this Hindle guy is really on the ball.

NewHabsEra* 06-13-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Jr (Post 33607198)

I definitively could see it happen..

Russian Warrior 06-13-2011 06:45 PM

We want to win now... pass.

googlymoogly 06-13-2011 06:46 PM

All these clubs heard rumors about Gomez on the block and now they are getting ready to toss 1sts at us:sarcasm: