HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Do stiffer skates always cost more? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=925378)

night-timer 06-14-2011 01:06 AM

Do stiffer skates always cost more?

I have Bauer One95 skates that are very light-weight (which is why I bought them) but they are probably too stiff for me.

I figured by the time I become a good, advanced skater, the One95 skates will be right for me. I had them heat-moulded twice, but maybe I should've stuck with a cheaper style of boot to help my skating skills improve.

Apart from the stiffness of the One95s. I figured they would be well-constructed, leading to a longer working life than cheaper skates.

In particular, I really struggle with backards crossovers and 'iron cross' drills where you hop sidewards along a straight line in a crossover style. I guess I can't use my edges properly yet.

Anyway, is it a general rule that stiffer boots will always cost more than a supple skate?

Thepandamancan 06-14-2011 03:30 AM

More or less, yes. A stiffer boot generally means it's built better, with higher quality materials which is why it's more expensive.

AIREAYE 06-14-2011 08:56 AM

Yes, although I find that the Vapor series offer relatively stiff boots even at lower price-points, such as in the X:30 and 40. They might not fit you though, given you're in Supreme at the moment

Placebo Effect 06-14-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 33623796)
Yes, although I find that the Vapor series offer relatively stiff boots even at lower price-points, such as in the X:30 and 40. They might not fit you though, given you're in Supreme at the moment

How about the mid point Supremes? I'm in CCM's (somewhat wide foot) but want to try on Bauer next time I'm in for skates to see if they'll fit me. Not sure Vapor will work for me but I can try I guess. Bottom line is I definitely need new skates with a much stiffer boot.

Thepandamancan 06-14-2011 02:56 PM

This is true...newer, lower price point boots are much stiffer now. Just know, they will break down quicker and depending on how much you use them.

AIREAYE 06-14-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spixel (Post 33629116)
How about the mid point Supremes? I'm in CCM's (somewhat wide foot) but want to try on Bauer next time I'm in for skates to see if they'll fit me. Not sure Vapor will work for me but I can try I guess. Bottom line is I definitely need new skates with a much stiffer boot.

Nothing stood out for the Supremes imo. I was just shocked at how even the Junior skates offered such stiffness, especially if you compare the X:20s to the One40s.

ponder 06-14-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night-timer (Post 33620809)
I have Bauer One95 skates that are very light-weight (which is why I bought them) but they are probably too stiff for me.

I figured by the time I become a good, advanced skater, the One95 skates will be right for me. I had them heat-moulded twice, but maybe I should've stuck with a cheaper style of boot to help my skating skills improve.

Apart from the stiffness of the One95s. I figured they would be well-constructed, leading to a longer working life than cheaper skates.

In particular, I really struggle with backards crossovers and 'iron cross' drills where you hop sidewards along a straight line in a crossover style. I guess I can't use my edges properly yet.

Anyway, is it a general rule that stiffer boots will always cost more than a supple skate?

Assuming they fit you properly, one95s are absolutely fantastic skates, but they are very stiff. However, before buying new skates, try lacing them a bit differently. Most people like lateral stiffness, but people are pretty mixed on how much front/back stiffness they like. If you feel like you can't easily get a good, deep knee/ankle bend with your one95s, try leaving the top eyelet unlaced, just lace up to the second eyelet from the top (and obviously do not wrap your laces around your ankles). A lot of people prefer skating with the top eyelet unlaced, definitely worth a shot IMO if you want more forward flex out of your skates.

On a side note, how is the fit on your skates? When laced up and standing up straight, how far are your toes from the end of toe caps? Touching a lot, just barely/almost touching, or a significant distance (a couple milimeters or more) away? And in terms of width, do you feel like your feet are being squished (too narrow), a bit sloppy (too wide), or firmly held without negative space, but not painful (just right)? Finally, how is the heel lock, do your heels move up and down at all within the skate (once laced up) or are they firmly held in place?

night-timer 06-14-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 33637340)
Assuming they fit you properly, one95s are absolutely fantastic skates, but they are very stiff. However, before buying new skates, try lacing them a bit differently. Most people like lateral stiffness, but people are pretty mixed on how much front/back stiffness they like. If you feel like you can't easily get a good, deep knee/ankle bend with your one95s, try leaving the top eyelet unlaced, just lace up to the second eyelet from the top (and obviously do not wrap your laces around your ankles). A lot of people prefer skating with the top eyelet unlaced, definitely worth a shot IMO if you want more forward flex out of your skates.

On a side note, how is the fit on your skates? When laced up and standing up straight, how far are your toes from the end of toe caps? Touching a lot, just barely/almost touching, or a significant distance (a couple milimeters or more) away? And in terms of width, do you feel like your feet are being squished (too narrow), a bit sloppy (too wide), or firmly held without negative space, but not painful (just right)? Finally, how is the heel lock, do your heels move up and down at all within the skate (once laced up) or are they firmly held in place?

.... the skates fit me okay. Standing up straight, my toes barely brush the front of the boot. This, of course, leads to more room in that part of the boot when I bend my ankles and knees.... "just barely/almost touching", as you put it.

I've also had my feet looked at. Both "pronate significantly", meaning my ankles lean inwards (inside edge) so I may not be ideally centred on my blades when gliding. That makes it more difficult to get over onto the outside edges... I may need orthotic inserts, but custom jobs arent cheap. Know of a pre-made version that isn't a waste of time?

ponder 06-14-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night-timer (Post 33638378)
.... the skates fit me okay. Standing up straight, my toes barely brush the front of the boot. This, of course, leads to more room in that part of the boot when I bend my ankles and knees.... "just barely/almost touching", as you put it.

I've also had my feet looked at. Both "pronate significantly", meaning my ankles lean inwards (inside edge) so I may not be ideally centred on my blades when gliding. That makes it more difficult to get over onto the outside edges... I may need orthotic inserts, but custom jobs arent cheap. Know of a pre-made version that isn't a waste of time?

Sounds like your skates are the right length, what about the width and heel lock?

In terms of inserts, if your feet pronate like crazy I think the only good option is custom orthotics, but they're obviously very expensive. But if it's just a bit of pronation, yellow Superfeet are awesome. The yellow ones are made for skates so they're nice and thin/low volume, but they offer a lot of arch support, and will significantly reduce pronation. I wear them in my skates, and love them, maybe the best hockey related purchase I've ever made. To fit them properly, chose the ones that fit your heel/arch best, as they're made with oversized forefeet that are meant to be trimmed (with scissors) to the size of your stock insoles. This video is decent in terms of fitting advice:

AIREAYE 06-15-2011 08:08 AM

I'll vouch for Superfeet as well. They're not for everyone, but for the vast majority of purchasers, Superfeet provided a huge leap in terms of comfort and even feel/performance.