HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Reebok (RBK/Jofa) always been the most protective? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=925381)

night-timer 06-14-2011 02:12 AM

Reebok (RBK/Jofa) always been the most protective?

I am generally of the opinion that RBK offers the best protective gear, mainly due to its sheer popularity in the NHL. Has Bauer or CCM or anyone else ever matched them for safety and protection? I am talking shoulder, shin and elbow pads here.

Comments and opinions welcome.

I don't much like the look of the RBK equipment, but protection-wise, I still buy it.

Thepandamancan 06-14-2011 04:34 AM

I'm a Bauer guy, mostly cause it's what fits me best, but I broke that rule for my shoulder pads. I went with reebok cause it was cheaper and more protective than the one model up that Bauer offered.

I know I'm guilty of buying stuff for the look, but it still strikes me odd that what elbow pads and shin guards look like matters. No one's ever gonna see it cause it's covered up by socks and a jersey haha.

Jimmy Carter 06-14-2011 05:27 AM

Just due to the cost of getting new gear as opposed to used I haven't gone all RBK for protective gear, but I would if I had the money (except maybe gloves).

I got RBK 5K elbow pads (08 or 09 model) and I'm fairly certain that they saved me from a broken arm. Took the hardest slapshot I've ever been hit by on the forearm area. Had a giant, nasty welt and it was a bit hard to move for a day or two, but I'm almost positive that I'd have had a broken arm with lesser pads. Things are tanks! Always on the lookout for RBK protective gear on sale. As good as my elbow pads are, I've never tried out RBK's high end elbow pads and I'd like to upgrade to those if I could find a good sale.

Though I will say, I got CCM V08 pants (09 model) last year for like $60, and those have been pretty awesome protection as well. Sometimes I don't even notice when someone hits me with a shot! :laugh:

Outside of CCM/RBK I don't really trust the protection level. My mistrust might be unfounded though.

AIREAYE 06-14-2011 09:49 AM

They're popular, that's about it. Unless you are constantly playing high-level contact hockey, there is no real need to pursue them. Of course unless you're a gear ***** like some of us, the having some first generation RBK (blue&white) and Jofa gear would be cool.

bp spec 07-02-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 33623687)
They're popular, that's about it. Unless you are constantly playing high-level contact hockey, there is no real need to pursue them. Of course unless you're a gear ***** like some of us, the having some first generation RBK (blue&white) and Jofa gear would be cool.

+1. I love the white/blue gear.

ONT. Rebook gear are very protective. Bauer is good to, except for their pants. They're ****. At least the Supreme line pants.

ponder 07-02-2011 12:07 PM

At the level most of us play at, any mid/high end protective gear is plenty protective, with the possible exception of some of the more stripped down pants. Buy for comfort/fit and price, I wouldn't be too worried about how protective your gear is unless it's clearly stripped down, almost everything on the market is overkill protection-wise for most of us.

Thepandamancan 07-02-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 34530141)
At the level most of us play at, any mid/high end protective gear is plenty protective, with the possible exception of some of the more stripped down pants. Buy for comfort/fit and price, I wouldn't be too worried about how protective your gear is unless it's clearly stripped down, almost everything on the market is overkill protection-wise for most of us.

If you listen to Don Cherry's rants on HNIC, all equipment is overkill protection wise for even professional hockey players.

cptjeff 07-04-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepandamancan (Post 34534541)
If you listen to Don Cherry's rants on HNIC, all equipment is overkill protection wise for even professional hockey players.

I suggest you don't.

Pajicz 07-04-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bp spec (Post 34528617)
ONT. Rebook gear are very protective. Bauer is good to, except for their pants. They're ****. At least the Supreme line pants.

Agreed, some of my teammates have those Supreme pants, and they say that they are horrible. I've got Vapor's, and they aren't the best either. Although I don't like CCM gear very much, they might have the best pants in terms of protection.

AIREAYE 07-04-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajicz (Post 34636247)
Agreed, some of my teammates have those Supreme pants, and they say that they are horrible. I've got Vapor's, and they aren't the best either. Although I don't like CCM gear very much, they might have the best pants in terms of protection.

Nope, a Fit03 is horrible because it's an entry level pant. You can't just say Supremes/Vapor/Bauer are crap because you haven't had experience with a lot of their line.

The only good things I've heard about CCM pants are the V06 and 08s, but they don't make them anymore.

@ bp spec : same thing, you can't just lump and entire brand's multi-year lineup of gear into one opinion. The quality of Reebok gear has generally decreased since the Jofa days. Get what fits and what feels best, simple as that; don't worry about brand.

stevenest 07-05-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 33623687)

I love the blue and white RBK its awesome.

Pajicz 07-05-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 34637621)
Nope, a Fit03 is horrible because it's an entry level pant. You can't just say Supremes/Vapor/Bauer are crap because you haven't had experience with a lot of their line.

The only good things I've heard about CCM pants are the V06 and 08s, but they don't make them anymore.

Usually all the entry level pants are bad, no matter who's the manufacturer.

Well, I haven't heard many positive things about the Bauer pants, but I love other Bauer gear.

AIREAYE 07-05-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajicz (Post 34669897)
Usually all the entry level pants are bad, no matter who's the manufacturer.

Well, I haven't heard many positive things about the Bauer pants, but I love other Bauer gear.

Haha that's true, but I'm in One35s now (entry level) and they do about fine for me; just goes to show.

Tackla all the way guys :)