HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Desharnais/Brière (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=925846)

De Montreal 06-14-2011 11:13 PM

Desharnais/Brière

Does anyone see similarities between Daniel Brière and David Desharnais? They struck to me as very similar player following kind of a similar path too. I mean obviously Brière is a former 1st round pick and Desharnais went undrafted, but they both joined the pros late. They are small, not overly quick, but have good on ice vision, are feisty and have great puck skills.

I'm not saying Desharnais will ever reach Brière's level, where I'm heading with this is we have been putting Desharnais aside because he's a center and we have no room for him. Though, Briere adapted quite well as a winger even though he is small... Maybe Desharnais could also translate his game as a left or right winger and we could keep him in the organization. Because with Plekanec, Leblanc and Eller, I see no room for Desharnais in the future as a centerman.

What do you think?

The Kremelin Wall* 06-14-2011 11:24 PM

Desharnais is way behind on the development of chirping and dirty play.

Freaky Habs Fan 06-15-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal (Post 33640754)
Does anyone see similarities between Daniel Brière and David Desharnais? They struck to me as very similar player following kind of a similar path too. I mean obviously Brière is a former 1st round pick and Desharnais went undrafted, but they both joined the pros late. They are small, not overly quick, but have good on ice vision, are feisty and have great puck skills.

I'm not saying Desharnais will ever reach Brière's level, where I'm heading with this is we have been putting Desharnais aside because he's a center and we have no room for him. Though, Briere adapted quite well as a winger even though he is small... Maybe Desharnais could also translate his game as a left or right winger and we could keep him in the organization. Because with Plekanec, Leblanc and Eller, I see no room for Desharnais in the future as a centerman.

What do you think?

Leblanc could always be used as a winger. Eller is a counterman and should stay one though.

As for Desharnaies, it all depends what he'll do this season and the one after. If he's great and produce offensively, Martin will have to find him an important spot on the team.

ScopeHockey 06-15-2011 07:17 AM

To me Desharnais is much more of cerebral playmaker (e.g. Backstrom), and Briere is more of an explosive sniper type of player (e.g. Kessel).

PATCHESx67 06-15-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 33643993)
Leblanc could always be used as a winger. Eller is a counterman and should stay one though.

As for Desharnaies, it all depends what he'll do this season and the one after. If he's great and produce offensively, Martin will have to find him an important spot on the team.

amen

Kebekoi 06-15-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKOTW (Post 33640900)
Desharnais is way behind on the development of chirping and dirty play.

He have to practice his fist pumping and huge forehead skills.

neofury* 06-15-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScopeHockey (Post 33644024)
To me Desharnais is much more of cerebral playmaker (e.g. Backstrom), and Briere is more of an explosive sniper type of player (e.g. Kessel).

I see this as well. Though of course Backstrom is a p i m p :)

Monctonscout 06-15-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

What do you think?

Briere is bigger, thicker and a more explosive skater.

WeThreeKings 06-15-2011 09:32 AM

Briere is a better skater. Is a better goal scorer. Has better stick handling and elusiveness.

Not even close.

cap10bfl 06-15-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 33645516)
Briere is a better skater. Is a better goal scorer. Has better stick handling and elusiveness.

Not even close.

indeed all of the above....

if and a big IF there was a player i would compare DD to in style of play is st-louis, thats why i would prefer DD play on the wing

habs03 06-15-2011 10:07 AM

I think DD just needs to bulk up, guys like Gionta, St Louis are small but strong, if you ever see Gionta in interviews, you can see he has big arms.

ScopeHockey 06-15-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs03 (Post 33646037)
I think DD just needs to bulk up, guys like Gionta, St Louis are small but strong, if you ever see Gionta in interviews, you can see he has big arms.

I don't see the St-Louis comparison. Like Briere, St-Louis is very explosive and I just don't see that in Desharnais. Desharnais' strengths are much more based on his vision and smarts. Cory Stillman / Ray Whitney are comparisons that I see as more appropriate.

bcv 06-15-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScopeHockey (Post 33646276)
I don't see the St-Louis comparison. Like Briere, St-Louis is very explosive and I just don't see that in Desharnais. Desharnais' strengths are much more based on his vision and smarts. Cory Stillman / Ray Whitney are comparisons that I see as more appropriate.

I really like the Ray Whitney comparison. :clap:

overlords 06-15-2011 10:26 AM

I think briere is a tad faster.

DogsFan* 06-15-2011 10:37 AM

Briere is a better goalscorer. Desharnais is better with the puck and the better playmaker.

Habiton 06-15-2011 10:49 AM

If Desharnais can increase his foot speed and explosiveness he could be really, really dangerous.

He is kind of in the awkward stage of, not fast enough to be a big success in the NHL but good enough to stay.

He needs to get more agile, and I think he has the work ethic to do so.

Patrice Brisebois 06-15-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 33645516)

Not even close.

This.

I don't see any similarities at all, aside from them both being Quebecers.

Joe Cole 06-15-2011 10:53 AM

Briere is a goal scorer with speed and some grit.

Desharnais may develop into a playmaker, not that fast, and needs at least a season with success before he can even be considered an NHL'r.

Until then, the similarities are that they are undersized, play a forward position and they are french canadian.

habitue* 06-15-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

What do you think?

Brière is a top-class skater and a better scorer. He is also more chippy.

Stjonnypopo 06-15-2011 11:18 AM

Brière has a hell of a shot. He can pick a corner from 2 feet in front of the net. I don"t know if DD can do that, but I still love him and his style of play.

Em Ancien 06-15-2011 11:30 AM

I've seen Briere from his days in the Q to now.

All I can say is : lol.