HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   If Souray is available......Would U? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=925946)

glenn77 06-15-2011 09:20 AM

If Souray is available......Would U?

If Sourey is bought out completely by Edmonton and we can pick him up for the League minimum, would you sign him? :sarcasm:

MarkovsKnee 06-15-2011 09:27 AM

No, he was too slow for the Old NHL game. Spezza had a field day with this guy. It would be even worse now against every team in the East. I loved Souray when he played with the Habs, but his day is over.

We need to get younger & faster on D. Gill is our slow guy back there. One is enough.

pine 06-15-2011 09:29 AM

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8...1aq5o1_400.jpg

pine 06-15-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFpineapple (Post 33645481)

To add to that, Souray is only a shadow of his former self.

Is he better than anybody we have?
Even if he was, considering the slight difference margin, I would rather give Emelin or Diaz the ice-time.

Kriss E 06-15-2011 09:31 AM

We're tight on space and Souray is the guy you'd want to make room for?
Markov-Gorges-Spacek-Emelin-Weber-PK-Gill, that's 7 Dmen already.
There's also a reason why Souray was waived by the Oilers and sent down. I can tell you it wasn't because he was good.

goman 06-15-2011 09:35 AM

League minimum? Maybe wait until an injury comes up and sign him as our fill-in...

Only real concern is his attitude. He was a great leader for us for a while but really has seemed to become another kind of person (or at least that's the way he's being portrayed)

cap10bfl 06-15-2011 09:38 AM

the only way i would accept souray back here would be a spacek souray swap and for souray to go play in the AHL and save on spacek's 3.83m cap hit

if not then HELL TO THE NO!

Monctonscout 06-15-2011 09:39 AM

I doubt he is available for league minimum. I'm sure if he is still NHL calibre somebody will offer 1.5-2 mil even if he plays as a #5-6 and PP guy.

dcal64 06-15-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn77 (Post 33645343)
If Sourey is bought out completely by Edmonton and we can pick him up for the League minimum, would you sign him? :sarcasm:

League minimum, sure, what is there to lose?

Him and Markov were great on the PP, if we don't sign Wiz, we need someone like Souray on the PP.

If he doesn't work out, no big loss, ship him to Hamilton, only costs $500K.

CHestah in Maine 06-15-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 33645503)
We're tight on space and Souray is the guy you'd want to make room for?
Markov-Gorges-Spacek-Emelin-Weber-PK-Gill, that's 7 Dmen already.
There's also a reason why Souray was waived by the Oilers and sent down. I can tell you it wasn't because he was good.

This.

I realize that it is the summer and all, but the thought of even considering Souray as an option when we already have the above/can't keep Wisniewski seems just plain silly.

Analyzer 06-15-2011 09:42 AM

No, cause then we'd have to buy him out of his league minimum contract because he sucks.

neofury* 06-15-2011 09:46 AM

He was too slow a decade ago. Nuff said.

Richiebottles 06-15-2011 09:48 AM

He has Attitude Problems. No thanks. Do not need another MAB on the Team eating salary that could be used on a rookie...

Megaforce 06-15-2011 09:59 AM

I wouldn't worry about his attitude. He was a great team player here for years.

CrAzYNiNe 06-15-2011 10:04 AM

To drive the zamboni?

Freaky Habs Fan 06-15-2011 10:36 AM

I'd have no problem having Souray around here for cheap. They could always invite him to the training camp if he can't find any taker...see what he can do and then decide.

Our PP only works when we have someone with a shot from the blue line...if Subban gets injured...or Markov...

Jedrik 06-15-2011 10:48 AM

I loved him for the element of giving-a-damn about teammates, but he already had speed, agility and defensive limitations then. I can only imagine what he's like after reconstructed (whatever) and being older and slower.

Blind Gardien 06-15-2011 11:03 AM

I'd be ready to invite him to training camp, anyway. Past that, it all depends on how he plays, relative to all the rest of our incumbent options.

I don't think it's too fair to dwell on either his past successes with us, nor on his recent failures. You just have to evaluate him purely on what he brings in the present tense in his tryout.

That said, if he was going down that road, as seems likely, I don't know that Montreal would represent his best chance of finding a spot. Because - assuming our free agent players get signed as expected in the next couple weeks - it really doesn't seem likely that the Habs are going to have openings on D. Other teams might be easier to crack.

Patrice Brisebois 06-15-2011 11:05 AM

THE SHELDON SOURAY?!
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/ga...p-template.png

Nah, I'll pass. I'm happy with our defense, even if Wisniewski walks.

neofury* 06-15-2011 01:03 PM

Training camp won't change anything the problem is his speed and defensive play and over the years of being washed up and doing basically nothing he hasn't all of the sudden gotten faster and started playing better defensively.

There isn't anything training camp is going to show them about Souray that they don't already know. It's pointless imo.

Nobody here wanted MAB for league minimum but they'd take Souray a guy who is more injury prone and isn't even as good offensively anymore. Plus defensively at least I can say MAB is in the defensive zone at the time of the goal most times. Souray is somewhere in the neutral zone while Price deals with a 2 on none and somebody like Plekanec races back. It would never work now a days we'd get destroyed.

larrypacman8167 06-15-2011 01:13 PM

Not In A Million Years

montreal 06-15-2011 01:30 PM

Yes in a heartbeat, Hamilton could really use him. Would be nice to have him and Henry on the backend, lots of experience, toughness and leadership.

donghabs98 06-15-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 33650019)
Yes in a heartbeat, Hamilton could really use him. Would be nice to have him and Henry on the backend, lots of experience, toughness and leadership.

this is what i was going to say

juve 06-15-2011 01:58 PM

Play him as forward.

A.K.-Eller-Souray

Prairie Habs 06-15-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juve (Post 33650629)
Play him as forward.

A.K.-Eller-Souray

:laugh: I know it would work because I used to put Souray at centre on the PP in NHL 2k6. He was the bomb.