HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: Would Tomas Kaberle be a good fit in New Jersey? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=927767)

Oroku Saki* 06-17-2011 11:02 PM

Would Tomas Kaberle be a good fit in New Jersey?

Just curious from the fans who have seen him the most.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=33720182&postcount=1

That's my post on the Devils board making the case for him.

Some thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Funk Volume 06-17-2011 11:07 PM

I really don't think so, to be honest. New Jersey, like Boston, plays a defence first system, and upon going to the Bruins his defensive weaknesses were exposed even more than they were in an uptempo offensive system.

NomNom 06-17-2011 11:12 PM

^Agreed

He'll be a good fit with Detroit, Vancouver, Washington, Montreal, etc.

Oroku Saki* 06-17-2011 11:13 PM

Don't you think playing with Kovalchuk (on the point), Parise, fellow Czech Patrik Elias could help him out.

Plus, we don't know who our next coach will be. Lou even said himself he needs to find some more offensive-minded defenseman and play an up-tempo style. Johnny Mac was just a huge failure.

I just feel he could be a good stop-gap until some of our prospects are ready. He gets treated like **** around these boards and he's a good player and has been a loyal soldier to the Leafs.

BTW, I hope you guys land Richards.

Erza Scarlet 06-17-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov (Post 33720613)
Don't you think playing with Kovalchuk (on the point), Parise, fellow Czech Patrik Elias could help him out.

Plus, we don't know who our next coach will be. Lou even said himself he needs to find some more offensive-minded defenseman and play an up-tempo style. Johnny Mac was just a huge failure.

I just feel he could be a good stop-gap until some of our prospects are ready. He gets treated like **** around these boards and he's a good player and has been a loyal soldier to the Leafs.

BTW, I hope you guys land Richards.

Obviously Kabs didn't play as well as he can, but Julien stuck to his favourites and Kaberle had limited minutes but still had the 3rd or 4th highest scorers among D. He's average defensively and pretty soft but among the best passers in the league. Boston system relies on short passes and instead focuses on dump ins or carrys in it by their forwards. Depending on the system, he would be a good fit. I don't know if a trapping system would fit Kabs well.

Oroku Saki* 06-17-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezle (Post 33720684)
Obviously Kabs didn't play as well as he can, but Julien stuck to his favourites and Kaberle had limited minutes but still had the 3rd or 4th highest scorers among D. He's average defensively and pretty soft but among the best passers in the league. Boston system relies on short passes and instead focuses on dump ins or carrys in it by their forwards. Depending on the system, he would be a good fit. I don't know if a trapping system would fit Kabs well.

Every team traps when it's a close game.

Plus, in Boston they don't have many big guns.

If he came to New Jersey, he could be passing to Kovalchuk on the point of the PP.

And he is so good at the transitional game. The opponent comes in attacking, Kaberle makes a simple play and brings his team on the offensive attack. It's a lot of little things he does right.

Erza Scarlet 06-17-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov (Post 33720721)

If he came to New Jersey, he could be passing to Kovalchuk on the point of the PP.

And he is so good at the transitional game. The opponent comes in attacking, Kaberle makes a simple play and brings his team on the offensive attack. It's a lot of little things he does right.

No, I'm just talking about traps in general. Kabs used to skate with the puck and make the long strech passes more frequently but obviously there's also larger risk to the giveaways. I watched the Boston Bruins through the playoffs, they're system is based on their defencemen making short passes and not carry the puck up themselves but let the forwards do it. Plus on the powerplay, there was poor puck retrieval from the Bruin forwards in general or poor dump ins which wastes time. Kabs usually never shoots unless he has a clear opening but he's able to break down the lanes for scoring chances. Kaberle would probably be good on a team that lets him play the way he usually plays. Obviously the way Boston played made them successful, so it was either Kabs not adapting or not great or his strengths don't fit in that system.

NikolaiTesla* 06-18-2011 12:16 AM

I think the opposite of some of these posts, Kaberle can survive in a defensive first system. He struggles in an offensive first system.

If you can match him with a defensive defenceman, who has some offensive upside, and can eat a lot of minutes... Kaberle can get away with eating a lot of minutes as well. Otherwise, you can go the Bruins route and put him on the ice for PP and when the game is not on the line. If Kaberle is not intended to fill in a defensive role, and is brought in for an offensive spark. He can work wonders.

With that said, unless he signs back with the Bruins or comes back to the Leafs... I think you are looking at a contract that is higher than anything he has seen so far.

oats 06-18-2011 12:22 AM

look, you can't just sign every single ufa that is good... but in all seriousness, no. he would be a much better fit on a team like detroit.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode 06-18-2011 12:24 AM

I think he has to lose some weight tbh, if he loses 10ishlbs I think any team would be glad to offer him 4-4.5m for 3 years(pretty sure he gained the weight in boston... didn't notice that he was slow with us). I feel kinda bad for kaberle though, yeah he won the cup... but he played so much better for the leafs than boston this year. If you play him with a defense first defenseman in the mould of luke schenn, who has to rely on kaberle to move the puck out he excels. Schenn-Kaberle was our best d pairing for the whole year until he left. Schenn was good afterwards but he played his best games with kaberle on his side. I think a volchenkov-kaberle would be a very respectable top pairing...but because he had a bad playoff no one's gonna pay him like a #2, when if he went to a non-playoff team or a team that went out in the 1st round he'd laugh at anything less than 5mil. Hopefully kaberle goes to NJ and goes back to the playoffs and proves to everyone he is still a legit #2/3 pmd!

Tie Domi Esquire 06-18-2011 12:32 AM

I think so. Not so much on the PP as much as passing to guys like Kovalchuk, and Parise in transition.

Man Hole Inspector* 06-18-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov (Post 33720721)

Personally I think Kaberle would thrive in New Jersey defensive trap system. Kaberle struggles at time by playing only a moderate defensive game, if its collective as a team he would benefit IMO. Also with Kaberle ability to open up the ice New Jersey's forward core would greatly benefit with their outside speed. Boston lacks a Parise/Kovalchuk type forward who can blind you with their speed. If Kaberle can open up some ice and allow those guys more space he could be money. Kaberle/Kovalchuk could be hit or miss on the PP teams have figured out that he does not like to shoot the puck. This makes the Kovalchuk shot all too predictable, but it could work if he gets it off fast enough (Bryan McCabe esque)

TML g u n n e R s* 06-18-2011 12:46 AM

kaberle is better off in a offensive system not defensive.

Center Ice Scrum 06-18-2011 12:48 AM

Kabby to Wings FTW! Rafalski's money is off the books and Kabby can replace him, plus who doesn't wanna pair up with Lidstrom??

UFancyHuh 06-18-2011 12:53 AM

Everyone said he would tear it up with Boston but it didn't quite work out that way. Can't tell to be honest.

Penalty Kill Icing* 06-18-2011 01:06 AM

I am just giving a heads up, don't start dreaming of Kaberle to Kovalchuk one-timers yet.

Leafs fans thought of Kaberle to Phaneuf passes, Bruins thought of Kaberle to Chara passes. In reality, it simply isn't that easy!

Rare Jewel 06-18-2011 01:49 AM

I'd think he would be fine NJ. He'd do basically everything Rafalski did when he was there. The only problem I see is I don't know where he would have NJ on his destination list.

He just won a cup with Boston, So my guess is that would behis 1st choice. San Jose we'll be looking for defense as well, And there is the JFJ connection. Detroit is looking for a Rafalski replacement, And Tampa has been rumoured to be interested in him for sometime. Plus apparently his family has property down there as well.

There will some stiff competition for him, But I think he could work if he went New Jersey.

jaateloauto 06-18-2011 08:08 AM

NJ isn't all about defensive mindedness any more. For a few seasons they've thrived to be more capable offensively.

I don't think he'd go to a Western Conference team. That leaves 16 teams so NJ and Detroit are a good guess, since those teams would probably be gunning for a playmaking d. Detroit with their reputation might be able to pick someone younger and better suited for them though.

pacdunes 06-18-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s (Post 33721668)
kaberle is better off in a offensive system not defensive.

Kaberle is better off in the swedish elite league, where checking is banned.

thebluemachine* 06-18-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacdunes (Post 33723495)
Kaberle is better off in the swedish elite league, where checking is banned.

Kaberle is better off in the NHL where he still is one the best PMD's in the game.

exporta 06-18-2011 09:22 AM

Kaberle is better suited to play for a team that thrives on puck possession. I.e. Chicago, Vancouver, Detroit or San Jose.

Though all those team are in the west, and he's made it clear he would like to remain in the east. Maybe Tampa Bay or Washington would be a good fit?

Interactif 06-18-2011 09:37 AM

I do know this, I'd love to have Kaberle at 4.5 in Toronto if we didn't have another 4.5 d man already signed for years already.

The Man in White 06-18-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikolaiTesla (Post 33721383)
I think the opposite of some of these posts, Kaberle can survive in a defensive first system. He struggles in an offensive first system.

If you can match him with a defensive defenceman, who has some offensive upside, and can eat a lot of minutes... Kaberle can get away with eating a lot of minutes as well. Otherwise, you can go the Bruins route and put him on the ice for PP and when the game is not on the line. If Kaberle is not intended to fill in a defensive role, and is brought in for an offensive spark. He can work wonders.

With that said, unless he signs back with the Bruins or comes back to the Leafs... I think you are looking at a contract that is higher than anything he has seen so far.

Agreed. I think a defensive first system is more likely to hide his weaknesses.

He might be more effective offensively in an offensive system but he'll be prone to more mistakes.

smoke meat pete* 06-18-2011 11:42 AM

Kaberle makes any team better, but I don't think he'd go to NJ for $500 000.

Hero 06-18-2011 11:57 AM

I think Kabs would fit in with the Devils.

I get the whole D first thing in NJD and in BOS.

But Bos, is dump-grind-chase style, while Njd does a defnecive puck possesion game. Kabs will have all the defencive support he needs, plus he'll be playing a style he enjoys. So he'll have room to get fancy and set up Kovalchuk or Parise.