HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   If you had to pick only 1 player, who is our franchise player 5 years down the road? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=928693)

Habsfan18 06-20-2011 04:13 PM

If you had to pick only 1 player, who is our franchise player 5 years down the road?

Carey Price?
PK Subban?
Max Pacioretty
Other?

bcv 06-20-2011 04:13 PM

That's hard, but I say Pricey.

pine 06-20-2011 04:14 PM

Price ainec

76ftw 06-20-2011 04:14 PM

Price. Whenever he's in the net I feel not nervous at all, no matter how bad he is playing haha.

pine 06-20-2011 04:17 PM

You could also make a case for Nail Yakupov...

:sarcasm:

Bill McNeal 06-20-2011 04:17 PM

Is the question who will be most important to the team, who will be the face of the franchise or who would I pick?

If the first, probably Price. If the second, Subban because he's already beloved and very easy to market.

If we can only pick 1? Probably Subban, just because I think it's tougher to find an elite d-man than an elite goalie. And if we had an elite center, I'd probably pick him above those two.

subbanged 06-20-2011 04:22 PM

I took Price but Subban is alot closer then people are making it sound

RoyBoyCoy 06-20-2011 04:24 PM

Yeeeesh.. Gotta give this one to Pricey, but if you asked me who the face of the franchise will be, it'll be Subban. He's going to be a superstar!

Kriss E 06-20-2011 04:27 PM

Superstar goalie > Superstar Dman. Simple.
Price takes it because I feel he'll be a franchise player.

PricePkPatch 06-20-2011 04:29 PM

Subban. Price is very good, and I love him aboard, but he doesn't seems to be the kind of guy you should focus the spotlight upon to sell tickets. Pressure can hurt him badly.

Subban... Not so much. I fully expect him to wear the A and the C within 5 and 10 years, maybe even before that if he proves himself to be mature to the coaching staff.

Yhea. Plus, I think, moral-wise, Price needs Subbam more than Subban needs Price. Better have your true star be the guy others rely upon.

Roulin 06-20-2011 04:30 PM

Subban for me. To have made the progress he has made every year since being drafted... I have no idea what his ceiling is, I wouldn't bet against him achieving anything.

Price is an amazing goalie, but this is such an incredible era for goalies in general. I don't see so much separation between Price, Rinne, Lundqvist, Miller... and then there's the general volatility of the position. A lot can happen over 5 years, more with franchise goalies than with franchise dmen, IMO.

JGRB 06-20-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 33760777)
Superstar goalie > Superstar Dman. Simple.
Price takes it because I feel he'll be a franchise player.

I share the same logic. Hard to believe I didn't vote for Subban, but that's the way she goes.

Subban definitely has more "sex appeal".

Gaston Gingras 06-20-2011 04:34 PM

easy question Price!!

Lafleurs Guy 06-20-2011 04:34 PM

Price.

But Subban looked damn impressive this year. He's got a shot at stardom for sure.

Zaide 06-20-2011 04:37 PM

5 years ? And this could be a FA acquisition ? Well, that's easy.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3193/crosbyufa2014.png
Although I voted Price, because I only thought of it after

bcv 06-20-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver (Post 33760841)
Subban. Price is very good, and I love him aboard, but he doesn't seems to be the kind of guy you should focus the spotlight upon to sell tickets. Pressure can hurt him badly.

Subban... Not so much. I fully expect him to wear the A and the C within 5 and 10 years, maybe even before that if he proves himself to be mature to the coaching staff.

Yhea. Plus, I think, moral-wise, Price needs Subbam more than Subban needs Price. Better have your true star be the guy others rely upon.

Whaaat? He didn't have enough pressure coming into last year? With Alex Auld as a backup, it was clear that he was the keeper and that if he didn't play as he is suppose to, his team would be fighting for the lottery pick.

Ozymandias 06-20-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill McNeal (Post 33760469)
Is the question who will be most important to the team, who will be the face of the franchise or who would I pick?

If the first, probably Price. If the second, Subban because he's already beloved and very easy to market.

If we can only pick 1? Probably Subban, just because I think it's tougher to find an elite d-man than an elite goalie. And if we had an elite center, I'd probably pick him above those two.

Bingo

shamrun 06-20-2011 04:38 PM

For sure Price but subban has given our defense a new life. I remember when the only time we could win a game was when markov was in the line up.

PhysicX 06-20-2011 04:39 PM

Both. If we'd have John Tavares, then we'd have a beast trio.

tollb2 06-20-2011 04:41 PM

PRICE !! only for the reason that a elite young stud Goalie is harder to get, but that is just if i had to take one .. in no way does this deminish how much im lovin havin Subban and the chem between them both .. but if i could only grab one its always build from the goalie out

JGRB 06-20-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcv (Post 33761205)
Whaaat? He didn't have enough pressure coming into last year? With Alex Auld as a backup, it was clear that he was the keeper and that if he didn't play as he is suppose to, his team would be fighting for the lottery pick.

Price easily had the most pressure of any goalie, if not player, in the NHL going into last season and he responded VERY well.

swimmer77 06-20-2011 04:44 PM

Subban

Kriss E 06-20-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 33761219)
Bingo

I strongly disagree. We're also not talking about just elite anymore, but superstardom, franchise player. If you have a goalkeeper that can play up to 4200+ minutes in a season, and actually do well despite having an unproductive offense and a battered/aging D corps in front, then we're talking a little more than just elite level imo.
PK was great this year, it was even more impressive considering he was a rookie, but Price was better imo, especially considering the huge amount of pressure he had on his back before the season started.

I don't think there are that many truly great goaltending in the NHL anymore. Perhaps the game has changed to the point where you don't necessarily need one as much anymore, but when you do, you have a clear advantage.
I think there's plenty more elite Dman than Goaltending. You have a lot of good to great goalies, but not too many that are superstars.

In any event, we will have a great tandem with PK/Price.

NLHabsFan 06-20-2011 05:08 PM

It's awesome that we don't have to choose! :D We got both! :yo:

phoque taupe 06-20-2011 05:15 PM

I voted PK.
But dont worry, i know Price value =p