HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: COL-NJD-NYI Draft Day Swaps (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=929267)

IslandersCastaway 06-21-2011 10:23 AM

COL-NJD-NYI Draft Day Swaps

Hi all, something I've been thinking about lately:

To NJD: 5th (NYI), E. Johnson (COL)
To NYI: Z. Parise (NJD), 11th (COL)
To COL: 4th (NJD), 35th (NYI)

So, in this three-way deal, the Devils drop down to 5th and pick up Erik Johnson. The Islanders drop down to 11th and gain the opportunity to sign Parise long-term (whereas the Devs might not be able to). The Avs move up and can now pick 2nd and 4th, as well as 32nd and 35th.

Makes Lou look like a genius right off the bat. Snow too, if he can sign Parise (would be likely), and Sherman can take credit for adding 2 future mainstays, nomatter who he takes in that top 5.

Mostly, I don't know as much about the Avs, so I don't know if they're sold on Johnson, who they only recently added. Avs fans, thoughts?

3 days 'til Draft Day!!

No Need To Vanek 06-21-2011 10:25 AM

The Islanders JUMP on this. No Way we get Parise and the 12th pick.

Freudian 06-21-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandersCastaway (Post 33790377)
Hi all, something I've been thinking about lately:

To NJD: 5th (NYI), E. Johnson (COL)
To NYI: Z. Parise (NJD), 12th (COL)
To COL: 4th (NJD), 35th (NYI)

So, in this three-way deal, the Devils drop down to 5th and pick up Erik Johnson. The Islanders drop down to 12th and gain the opportunity to sign Parise long-term (whereas the Devs might not be able to). The Avs move up and can now pick 2nd and 4th, as well as 32nd and 35th.

Makes Lou look like a genius right off the bat. Snow too, if he can sign Parise (would be likely), and Sherman can take credit for adding 2 future mainstays, nomatter who he takes in that top 5.

Mostly, I don't know as much about the Avs, so I don't know if they're sold on Johnson, who they only recently added. Avs fans, thoughts?

3 days 'til Draft Day!!

I think they indeed are sold on Erik Johnson and are not interested in flipping him for picks at this stage.

NinthSpoke06 06-21-2011 10:27 AM

Why in god's name would Colorado do that? New Jersey would have a tough time trading the face of their franchise too, but at least they get pretty dang good value.

Colorado just traded one of their key future stars in order to get Erik Johnson and now they are going to trade him? No chance.

Just Win 06-21-2011 10:28 AM

So the Devils give up the highest pick and the best player in this deal? Horrible. The Avs also say hell no.

Zajacs Bowl Cut 06-21-2011 10:29 AM

the Islanders give up the 5th and 35th for Parise and 12?

in what universe?

vonbonds 06-21-2011 10:30 AM

I see this 3-way as likely as getting my wife to let another woman into our bedroom....

GM17* 06-21-2011 10:31 AM

Parise + a 4th for Erik Johnson + 5th

That's....odd.

lol @ the 4 consecutive Devils avatars saying the same thing @ once.

IslandersCastaway 06-21-2011 10:32 AM

I mean, I think you gotta remember Parise signing long-term on the Island is not a give-in with this trade. To say they "get" Parise from NJD forgets that he could be an UFA next summer. Read my whole rationale before responding, not just the terms.

asmodeanreborn 06-21-2011 10:33 AM

From an Avalanche standpoint: Heeeeeell no. Johnson's going nowhere.

Seriously... Avs give up the 11th (not the 12th) and Johnson to move up to 4th and then get a second rounder as a band aid? No freaking way.

Woll Smoth 06-21-2011 10:33 AM

NJ does this in a heartbeat! Wait no they got completely ****ed.

apice3* 06-21-2011 10:34 AM

Take out Zach Parise and the 4th overall pick and I do it as a Devils fan.

Loso 06-21-2011 10:36 AM

Avs and Devils take it in the butt

Ivan13 06-21-2011 10:37 AM

How about this NJ fans:

11th (not 12th) + Liles (very good PMD) for 4th + Salvador (salary dump?) + Rolston (salary dump)

If you dont think it's fair what should get added.

S E P H 06-21-2011 10:37 AM

LOL. If Johnson is somehow traded, Parise/Tavares is definitely coming back the other way.

GM17* 06-21-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan13 (Post 33790957)
How about this NJ fans:

11th (not 12th) + Liles (very good PMD) for 4th + Salvador (salary dump?) + Rolston (salary dump)

Better, but not as good as the alternative:

Picking fourth

asmodeanreborn 06-21-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

How about this NJ fans:

4th overall is great and all, but I really think Avs should just hang on to Liles. It's obvious he's worth more to the team than he would fetch on the market.

Ivan13 06-21-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandersCastaway (Post 33790753)
I mean, I think you gotta remember Parise signing long-term on the Island is not a give-in with this trade. To say they "get" Parise from NJD forgets that he could be an UFA next summer. Read my whole rationale before responding, not just the terms.

OK (i'm not saying you're right, but i'll leave it to NJD fans to deal with you about Parise part), but what about EJ part of the trade, what's the reasoning about that.

Pual Statsny 06-21-2011 10:44 AM

Erik Johnson is still a better prospect than any player in this class.

apice3* 06-21-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

How about this NJ fans:

It's a good idea, but the Devils would pass. Salvador is likely to ride the season on LTIR so he's not an issue. With the cap likely jumping to 64 million, that gives us a lot of wiggle room. Rolston's contract won't be as much of a burden anymore. Plus, both salary dumps expire at the end of the year.

The incentive is there, but the Devils would probably just endure the season and make a splash in FA next year.

MartyOwns 06-21-2011 10:45 AM

devils say yes to the op. yes, as in, yesssss the draft is soon, parise will be re-signed soon, no more ridiculous scenarios. yessssss

IslandersCastaway 06-21-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan13 (Post 33791119)
OK (i'm not saying you're right, but i'll leave it to NJD fans to deal with you about Parise part), but what about EJ part of the trade, what's the reasoning about that.

Admittedly, I know very little about the Avs. I see EJ there as a newly added player, and I'm not totally certain if the Avs are done rebuilding through the draft. If they're looking for a kick in the prospect pants, picking 2nd and 4th in this draft is the way to do it. If EJ is seen as part of the future, then yeah, bad choice on my part.

apice3* 06-21-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandersCastaway (Post 33791349)
Admittedly, I know very little about the Avs. I see EJ there as a newly added player, and I'm not totally certain if the Avs are done rebuilding through the draft. If they're looking for a kick in the prospect pants, picking 2nd and 4th in this draft is the way to do it. If EJ is seen as part of the future, then yeah, bad choice on my part.

Erik Johnson is 23 with 3 years NHL experience. I would imagine he'd be a part of their future.

ArWKo 06-21-2011 10:49 AM

It's also usually bad business to flip a guy you just traded for four months ago and have been pumping up as a big part of the future of the organization.

Not a chance in a million years the Avs even think about this.

Darius Dangleaitis 06-21-2011 10:52 AM

*deep sigh*

The cap just went up $5 million, giving the Devils $11.6 million in cap room.

The sides are currently talking LONG TERM DEAL.

To say that another team would have a "better chance" at signing Parise is just silly.