HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Dek Hockey/My Problem (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=929323)

Islesfan24 06-21-2011 11:38 AM

Dek Hockey/My Problem

So I am a freshman in high school and ive just started to feel like i want to play hockey. I dont know how to skate at all and my parents arent very willing to pay for skating lessons. I have thought of playing Dek hockey but i wanna check and get a little hurt now and then. I really want to play but idk what else i can do. Any suggestions?? BTW im on the north shore of long island if anybody else is with me on this one. thanks!

CarlWinslow 06-21-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islesfan24 (Post 33793453)
So I am a freshman in high school and ive just started to feel like i want to play hockey. I dont know how to skate at all and my parents arent very willing to pay for skating lessons. I have thought of playing Dek hockey but i wanna check and get a little hurt now and then. I really want to play but idk what else i can do. Any suggestions?? BTW im on the north shore of long island if anybody else is with me on this one. thanks!

Perhaps you could start by playing dek hockey. If you don't find the contact there to be enough, you could then re-ask your parents about skating lessons. perhaps they will be more willing to spend the money after you shown them how interested you are by playing dek hockey?

1Knee1T 06-21-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islesfan24 (Post 33793453)

Buy a cheap pair of roller skates and go to the rink in Baldwin Park. If you go early enough in the day nobody will be there and you can work on your skating and shooting by yourself or with a friend. When you get comfortable come back later in the day and join in on the pick up games. By then you could join some low level leagues and start playing.

It's an indoor surface on an outdoor rink and it's free to use.

Islesfan24 06-21-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TullyNYR (Post 33793807)
Buy a cheap pair of roller skates and go to the rink in Baldwin Park. If you go early enough in the day nobody will be there and you can work on your skating and shooting by yourself or with a friend. When you get comfortable come back later in the day and join in on the pick up games. By then you could join some low level leagues and start playing.

It's an indoor surface on an outdoor rink and it's free to use.

I have a pair of skates that fit. I just wont bee able to go all the way down to south hempstead. I dont wanna give away where i live lol.. im in north hempstead and i have the parents that never want to drive me anywhere.

1Knee1T 06-21-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islesfan24 (Post 33794801)
I have a pair of skates that fit. I just wont bee able to go all the way down to south hempstead. I dont wanna give away where i live lol.. im in north hempstead and i have the parents that never want to drive me anywhere.

That's a bummer. I guess you should try a dek hockey league then and try to show commitment like the other poster suggested.

Islesfan24 06-21-2011 12:35 PM

Like i feel like i have good stick work with a tennis ball and a ****** stick... I just need skating basics and to learn some more stick stuff and then i should be ok.