HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   TSN: Canucks to sign Leino, Laich or Gagne? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=930797)

KeslerKrony 06-22-2011 11:15 PM

Canucks to sign Leino, Laich or Gagne?

TSN and various other sources have called for the Canucks to sign one of Leino, Laich or Gagne for the second line. My question is: how would you rank these players in terms of fit with the second line?

I'm assuming that Raymond will be gone half the season so this new player will be playing with Higgins or Samuelsson.

IMO (first to last):

Leino (Success with Philly in playoffs and regular season, only 27, playmaker, although he's not gritty)

Gagne (Best goal scorer, fastest, good in the playoffs, but fragile and older)

Laich (Gritty, defensive forward, good in front of the net, but not a top offensive threat)

Discuss.

shortshorts 06-22-2011 11:18 PM

I'll take Leino. He can create chances by himself. He's very under-rated.

NugentHopkinsfan 06-22-2011 11:19 PM

I really like Leino but he's going to be overpaid. He's the type of second line player you want on your third line.

Gagne is one bump on the head away from being toast.

Laich will be overpaid and don't even want to be involved in that bidding war.

Momesso 06-22-2011 11:21 PM

I'd prefer Tanguay to those three.

He's not gritty but he's a proven playoff performer, and he's generally healthy and can be a key playmaker. Plus we take him away from a division rival.

I'd be happy with either of Laich or Leino though. Both players bring something different and can contribute. Leino was amazing during Philly's run, he was all over the ice.

I do like Laich, he's the type of guy who adds some grit to our top 6 and can take faceoffs. You can't have enough good two-way forwards.

I don't think Gagne is a good choice, injury concerns are his undoing.

raygunpk 06-22-2011 11:22 PM

hold the phone, what about brad richards?!

Ziostilon 06-22-2011 11:24 PM

i remember somebody saying that Leino was in the right situation in Philly with the right group of players that he got chemistry with. and that he won't produce the same results elsewhere

Hartnell - Briere - Leino

vadim sharifijanov 06-22-2011 11:25 PM

i love gagne to death, but we don't need more injury prone guys.

leino, no. 1. AV won't play him. 2. might as well just give shiro a shot.

laich, intriguing. durable, tough, plays like he cares, provides secondary scoring in the playoffs, and i loved him at the WJC. does he play wing? on paper, he is an upgrade on higgins. but i don't know him too well as a pro.

i like the suggestion of tanguay though, provided he doesn't get too much. now that defenses seem to have figured out how to stop kesler from getting that shot off, a playmaking winger would do a world of good.

Anodyne 06-22-2011 11:25 PM

Knee-jerk reaction has me leaning towards Leino.

One thing I'd add for Laich is that he looks like he has a Kesler-like eagerness to win and seems like a solid locker room guy.

Mr. Canucklehead 06-22-2011 11:26 PM

Color me in the Gagne camp, myself.

Has racked up points numerous times in the NHL, had a very strong playoff performance this year with T-Bay, and is a generally smart offensive player. Given his injury history, he may take something of a price cut in the open market as opposed to other players.

I wouldn't complain if we got either Laich or Leino, but Gagne seems perfect (amongst the FA options) to ride shotgun with Kesler.

Barney Gumble 06-22-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov (Post 33869963)
i love gagne to death, but we don't need more injury prone guys.

leino, no. 1. AV won't play him. 2. might as well just give shiro a shot.

laich, intriguing. durable, tough, plays like he cares, provides secondary scoring in the playoffs, and i loved him at the WJC. does he play wing? on paper, he is an upgrade on higgins. but i don't know him too well as a pro.

and AV will or has?:laugh:

(and I mean *realistic* chance at making the squad & not just the usual "cup of coffee tryout").

vadim sharifijanov 06-22-2011 11:27 PM

on a cheap-ish (no more than $2.5 mill) one year deal, i'd gamble on gagne in a heartbeat. but i think he will get more term AND more dollars, and i wouldn't give him either.

King of Anarchy 06-22-2011 11:27 PM

Ville Leino, please. He's just the kind of player we've been missing in the post-season. (in my opinion)

BuzzBuzz 06-22-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeslerKrony (Post 33869653)
TSN and various other sources have called for the Canucks to sign one of Leino, Laich or Gagne for the second line. My question is: how would you rank these players in terms of fit with the second line?

I'm assuming that Raymond will be gone half the season so this new player will be playing with Higgins or Samuelsson.

IMO (first to last):

Leino (Success with Philly in playoffs and regular season, only 27, playmaker, although he's not gritty)

Raymond has the same career high in pts as Leino with more goals while being better defensively, faster and much younger. Leino is a good example of grass being greener on the other side. Huge NO for me.

Quote:

Gagne (Best goal scorer, fastest, good in the playoffs, but fragile and older)
Injury problems is too big of a concern for me given the luck the Canucks have.

Quote:

Laich (Gritty, defensive forward, good in front of the net, but not a top offensive threat)
My most ideal candidate.

Kagee* 06-22-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 33869991)
Color me in the Gagne camp, myself.
Gagne seems perfect (amongst the FA options) to ride shotgun with Kesler.

Agreed, even if he does get injured, we would rest him till closer to the playoffs, so he has a healthy post season, where we would need him the most.
This could be a steal if he stays healthy 75% of the season, just too much natural talent.

Leino would be good as well, IF we got a high scoring 2nd line RW.

Laich is a bit overrated imo, who were his wingers in Washington?

Rez 06-22-2011 11:30 PM

I'd much rather have Erik Cole over all three of these guys. He should be in a similar range as Leino and Laich in terms of value.

vadim sharifijanov 06-22-2011 11:30 PM

knowing MG though, we'll get someone we never expected and by november we will be ecstatic that we did.

for example:

MG: so, i'll give you a third rounder for reasoner.

dale tallon: reasoner's not on the table, he's good with the kids and we want to keep him around for the rebuild.

MG: fine, twist my arm. i'll "nonis" you. a second.

DT: seriously mike, we're not trading him. but if that third round pick is burning a hole in your pocket, you can have chris...

MG: (thinks to self: what? higgins is on the table? why on earth would they not try to resign him?)

DT: hig...

MG: DEAL.

MS 06-22-2011 11:31 PM

Would have substantial interest in Gagne.

Excellent skater, excellent two-way player who would fit well into our team structure and likely be a very good fit alongside Kesler.

Is a better player than his numbers from last year would indicate.

Started the season with all kinds of injury problems and was awful before Christmas when dressed. In his first 25 games, he was 3-4-7 and a -21.

In 38 games after that, he was 14-19-33 and a +9. Then had 12 points in 15 playoff games. Basically, once healthy and sorted was still an excellent player.

If he could be signed for something like 2 years, $6 million, that would make a fair bit of sense. Obviously not a player you give a long-term deal to, though.

________

Laich is a natural center who isn't really a natural offensive player. Suspect he will settled into a 3rd line role as he moves toward age 30 and beyond, and we already have a lot of guys floating around who can play on the 3rd line effectively.

Wouldn't hate Leino to add scoring-line depth but I'm not a huge fan, and not sure how he'd fit into our system. Not a player I've paid a ton of attention to but seems pretty soft and iffy defensively.

David71 06-22-2011 11:31 PM

how about shane doan?

Flik 06-22-2011 11:32 PM

Personally I think we need more size in our forward lines. I lean towards Laich just for that. What Marchant did to Daniel still haunts me (though that's more on Danny than anyone else...) Obviously we need to protect our skill guys so I'm ok with taking someone a little more physical vs a little more skilled.

Gagne would be awesome but he's too much of a dice roll.

Outside99* 06-22-2011 11:32 PM

Leino. Good article on him, ramps up for the playoffs, I like that.

http://www.trentonian.com/articles/2...txt?viewmode=2

Flik 06-22-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David71 (Post 33870191)
how about shane doan?

In a second.

But how the hell do you get someone of that calibre? Would Phoenix even consider a trade for him?

Dirkph 06-22-2011 11:35 PM

Gagne's easily the best player. Not that he'd be the guy I'd sign since he's likely the most expensive plus has that risk-factor. Though, a healthy Gagne all year would be just what we'd need.

What's with the huge man-crush on Leino? Not proven enough for me. He's only had one good season and he played on arguably the best overall offense in the league. I'd rather a healthy Raymond with Kesler.

Laich's probably the "safest" guy -- proven 50-55 point guy with a great attitude and 2-way acumen. He's the most "Gillis" out of the three, I'd say.

ubiquitous 06-22-2011 11:37 PM

I would love to see Gagne, if only because then I could finally justify buying the jersey of one of my favourite players. :yo:

Kickassguy 06-22-2011 11:39 PM

I'd take Gagne on a low-risk contract if he can be had.

SomeoneGreat 06-22-2011 11:42 PM

Leino
Laich
Gagne

We're already enough injury prone as it is, so adding a guy like Gagne would be a bad idea IMO. However, this wouldn't mean I would be upset at the prospect of getting him if all the other top 6 players require much more than 4 mil.

Leino's clutch playoff showings go back to his AHL days, and that is the exact kind of performance we expect from our players. I would love to get Laich, but I would think Kesler would thrive with an actual playmaker on his line. Sure, Laich would be perfect for getting in front of the net and causing trouble, but IMO Kesler already has that role. It appeared that RK's line had trouble getting into the offensive zone in game 7 at least, because Kesler had to break in with just a strong individual force. With another player actually starting plays, Kesler will have much more to work with, and it would easily elevate his game to yet another level.

But TBH, I would be happy with any of the 3 players.