HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: What would you do if the Rangers moved? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=931071)

averyrule 06-23-2011 10:57 AM

What would you do if the Rangers moved?

Obviously this is a damn near impossible scenario. Because of the market that the Rangers play in and being an origional six team, even if they were sold there is no way in hell the new owner would even consider relocating them. But just for the sake of argument what would you do?

I've spent some time on the Atlanta (now Winnipeg) boards and a lot of those fans are pretty much done with the nhl for now. Some will follow other teams. And a few of them will continue to follow the team in Winnipeg.

So if the Rangers, by some twist of fate actually relocated, what would you do? Would you start to follow one of the other metro-area teams, or any other nhl team? Would you stop following the nhl? Would you continue to follow the team wherever they relocate to? After the initial greiving process I would probably start following the Isles. I wouldn't necessarily become a fan, but the Coliseum is so close to my house so I would definitely start going to games there just to see some nhl action.

EDIT: People keep commenting that this will never happen. I know that this will never happen, this whole scenario is purely hypothetical. The team already plays in The Worlds Most Famous Arena, where the hell would you even move them to?

007 06-23-2011 11:08 AM

You need another option: I'd still follow NHL hockey, but I don't think I'd be able to be a true fan of some other team.

There would just be teams I like and teams I dislike, but I wouldn't support any one team.

GAGLine 06-23-2011 11:16 AM

I would continue to follow the Rangers franchise, but honestly, there's maybe a .00000001% chance of them moving. If they did move, it wouldn't be Bettman's fault. You know he would do everything he could to keep the Rangers in NY. Hell, I doubt the board of governers would even approve a Rangers move. Where would they go that they'd be in a better market? The islanders and devils will never be bigger than the Rangers in this market.

I've seen some atlanta fans blaming Bettman for the team moving to winnipeg, but it wasn't his fault that there were no buyers willing to keep the team in atlanta. Phoenix at least has buyers willing to keep the team there, so Bettman is doing his best to accomodate them because growing the sport in large-market, non-hockey areas is better for league growth than sticking a team in a small market where everyone is already a fan.

League revenues went from 2.7 billion last year to 3 billion this year. That's 9% growth in one year.

Propane Nightmares 06-23-2011 11:18 AM

For me it would depend on where they relocated to, and whether they get re-named or not. If they moved to somewhere ****** like Kansas City then I would go follow a different "Like-able" team, probably Tampa Bay

acapps10 06-23-2011 11:24 AM

I'd follow the organization no matter where they went.

averyrule 06-23-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 33883155)
I would continue to follow the Rangers franchise, but honestly, there's maybe a .00000001% chance of them moving. If they did move, it wouldn't be Bettman's fault. You know he would do everything he could to keep the Rangers in NY. Hell, I doubt the board of governers would even approve a Rangers move. Where would they go that they'd be in a better market? The islanders and devils will never be bigger than the Rangers in this market.

I've seen some atlanta fans blaming Bettman for the team moving to winnipeg, but it wasn't his fault that there were no buyers willing to keep the team in atlanta. Phoenix at least has buyers willing to keep the team there, so Bettman is doing his best to accomodate them because growing the sport in large-market, non-hockey areas is better for league growth than sticking a team in a small market where everyone is already a fan.

League revenues went from 2.7 billion last year to 3 billion this year. That's 9% growth in one year.

I agree that this would never actually happen. The point of this thread is to see how other Blueshirt fans would react if they were in the same situation as Atlanta.

pld459666 06-23-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acapps10 (Post 33883511)
I'd follow the organization no matter where they went.

same and I would never buy the new teams stuff.

I'd root for them in my Rangers gear.

averyrule 06-23-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 33882813)
You need another option: I'd still follow NHL hockey, but I don't think I'd be able to be a true fan of some other team.

There would just be teams I like and teams I dislike, but I wouldn't support any one team.

How do I add another option to the poll? I'm slightly retarded, can't seem to figure it out.

Ih8theislanders 06-23-2011 11:34 AM

Murder/suicide

007 06-23-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by averyrule (Post 33883947)
How do I add another option to the poll? I'm slightly retarded, can't seem to figure it out.

Ah, sorry, I'm just one of those jerks who makes demands but offers no solutions. I've never tried to set up a poll so I have no idea..! :)

Darrelle Lundqvist 06-23-2011 11:40 AM

I'd still follow the team, but this is an almost impossible situation.

silverfish 06-23-2011 11:41 AM

Get much better grades in school :naughty:

DrSutton* 06-23-2011 11:41 AM

Not damned near impossible - 100% impossible.
Only way the rangers go anywhere would be if the league folded.

terrrrrible 06-23-2011 11:43 AM

I'd continue to root for the franchise.

bogans 06-23-2011 11:55 AM

Its difficult to trust any of the answers here, because everybody is answering the question with the knowledge in their head that the ONLY way the Rangers were to ever leave NYC and MSG would be if the league folded. As much as we try to put ourselves in the Thrashers fans (really?) shoes, its virtually impossible to do.

I think the honest answer is it all depends upon how and why the move were to happen. If it happened to Atlanta because the fans and city did not support the team, I would continue rooting for the franchise as one of their true fans. Its not the Trashers fault (though you could argue they could've done more to keep their stars) that the town never really supported them from the start. Its well known that Atlanta is a TERRIBLE sports town for all sports, not just hockey. But if it were the case of LA Raiders that the owner just picked up and moved the team to greener pastures at a whim, no I would not support the franchise.

All that said, if I didn't continue to support the franchise I would certainly still watch hockey and find another squad I loved and could love for many years going forward. LA Kings, anyone??

JeffMangum 06-23-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 33883155)

Great post. It really isn't Bettman's fault that Atlanta had no one suited to buy the Thrashers -- it's always popular to blame the guy for everything, though.

SwedishBullet62 06-23-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfish (Post 33884381)
Get much better grades in school :naughty:

^^^^^THIS lol

I barely go to games as it is, so I'd just keep following them wherever they went.

MountainGoat 06-23-2011 12:01 PM

Rangers cant move. who would take over as the devils biggest rival? the Islanders? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

NHRangerfan 06-23-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by averyrule (Post 33882319)
Obviously this is a damn near impossible scenario. Because of the market that the Rangers play in and being an origional six team, even if they were sold there is no way in hell the new owner would even consider relocating them. But just for the sake of argument what would you do?

I've spent some time on the Atlanta (now Winnipeg) boards and a lot of those fans are pretty much done with the nhl for now. Some will follow other teams. And a few of them will continue to follow the team in Winnipeg.

So if the Rangers, by some twist of fate actually relocated, what would you do? Would you start to follow one of the other metro-area teams, or any other nhl team? Would you stop following the nhl? Would you continue to follow the team wherever they relocate to? After the initial greiving process I would probably start following the Isles. I wouldn't necessarily become a fan, but the Coliseum is so close to my house so I would definitely start going to games there just to see some nhl action.

EDIT: People keep commenting that this will never happen. I know that this will never happen, this whole scenario is purely hypothetical. The team already plays in The Worlds Most Famous Arena, where the hell would you even move them to?

It's much easier know to continue to follow your team than it used to be, with Center Ice, streaming games it's much easier to follow your team if they move or you move. As someone who moved away from NYC 20 years ago, I can tell you I have rarely missed a game in the past 11 years since I got Center Ice. The Atlanta scenario is much different though since they weren't there all that long.

WhipNash27 06-23-2011 12:19 PM

If I moved, I'd still follow the Rangers, so if the Rangers moved, I'd still follow them.

nyr2k2 06-23-2011 12:33 PM

I'd just become a fan of the NHL, rather than a specific team.

I'd be devastated, hate the franchise for leaving, and be rooting for the Islanders within the decade.

Hockey Team 06-23-2011 12:49 PM

There's a higher chance of the NHL folding then the rangers moving

That Stepan Guy 06-23-2011 12:52 PM

I'd become a fan of a team like Colorado, Minnesota, Anaheim or Carolina. I like those teams so I could see myself being a fan of one.

hpNYR 06-23-2011 12:57 PM

It will never happen.

ck20 06-23-2011 01:00 PM

I'd follow the team where ever they went, while probably also picking another team being tied for #1. Can't really say though if I'd stick with the "new Rangers" for long or just migrate to my other team. After the whole "I love this team no matter what happens or where they go!" phase wears off and I'd have no real ties to the city or team outside of the individual players that would indefinitely be gone within a few seasons, there would be no reason to follow them any more closely than any other team. It'd be like following the Blues or something right now for me, just another out-of-state team.