HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why Was Richards Moved? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=932127)

HiggsBroson 06-24-2011 01:21 AM

Why Was Richards Moved?
 
Hello all

this isnt meant to be a fight starting thread amongst Philly fans. From an outsider point of view, I had always viewed Richards as a career Flyer. Why was he moved in your opinion, and for not the greatest return I felt he could have gotten?

JiggleTheHandle 06-24-2011 01:33 AM

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3.../richards7.jpg

I'm not saying this was enough reason. I would MUCH rather- MUCH MUCH rather have kept him. but the partying was a big part of it I would assume. (there are a lot more pics like this. Good thing LA isnt a party town) But also he supposedly lost the locker room under Pronger.... Which in my mind could, COULD, explain the dramatic drop-off around the trade deadline where we seemed to never show up

PhilaFlyers 06-24-2011 01:39 AM

Who the **** knows

GirouxCouturier 06-24-2011 01:50 AM

It probably has something to do with lockeroom issues/media/bad relationships with coach, cause you dont trade one of the best captains in the league for cap space..

LEAFANFORLIFE23 06-24-2011 02:32 AM

cause the GM lost his damn mind

flyersfan187 06-24-2011 02:35 AM

Him and Lavy didn't get along and that divided the locker room. So they opted on getting rid of him and Carter instead of the Coach. That is what I get out of all of this.

dats81 06-24-2011 02:54 AM

let me try
 
Probably a number of reasons:
- the emergence of Claude Giroux
- locker room split in two group (Richards and friends vs. Pronger and his guys)
- Richards not getting along well with the coach
- Richards struggling to handle the media
- Richie playing a physical style of play that is wearing his body down and may become an issue some years from now
- Decreasing production: who knows they will ever get that much for him
- NTC kicking in next year

flyersfan187 06-24-2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats81 (Post 33942151)
Probably a number of reasons:
- the emergence of Claude Giroux
- locker room split in two group (Richards and friends vs. Pronger and his guys)
- Richards not getting along well with the coach
- Richards struggling to handle the media
- Richie playing a physical style of play that is wearing his body down and may become an issue some years from now
- Decreasing production: who knows they will ever get that much for him

- NTC kicking in next year

Richards was not very physical this past season and his production dropped because he didn't fit well into Lavy's system. I fully expect him to have a great season in LA and get back to being the great player that he is.

decadentia 06-24-2011 03:06 AM

Because Snider was "humiliated" against Boston.

(Seriously, I dont ****ing know, this is absolutely ridiculous and I still cannot believe it)

JiggleTheHandle 06-24-2011 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats81 (Post 33942151)
Probably a number of reasons:
- the emergence of Claude Giroux
- locker room split in two group (Richards and friends vs. Pronger and his guys)
- Richards not getting along well with the coach
- Richards struggling to handle the media
- Richie playing a physical style of play that is wearing his body down and may become an issue some years from now
- Decreasing production: who knows they will ever get that much for him
- NTC kicking in next year

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats81 (Post 33942151)
Probably a number of reasons:
- the emergence of Claude Giroux (and JVR)
- locker room split in two group (Richards and friends vs. Pronger and his guys) (true)
- Richards not getting along well with the coach(meh)
- Richards struggling to handle the media (this was choice, and I applaude him for it. not a "struggle")
- Richie playing a physical style of play that is wearing his body down and may become an issue some years from now ( dood, he's still younger than hell. He is'nt worn down yet I promise you)
- Decreasing production: who knows they will ever get that much for him (that happens when you're respected enough, and captain enough, to be demoted to a checking line with linemates like Carcillo, Nodl, and Zherdev. If you want trade-backsies, we are willing)
- NTC kicking in next year

just let us know and we will take Cannon back

Brewsky 06-24-2011 03:12 AM

Anybody else remember he was playing with a ****ed up wrist the entire year?

This guy was pure heart. I understand Carter, it's not like he was the face of the franchise, but MIKE ****ING RICHARDS?

Wow, simply wow.

Opus 06-24-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girouxrichards (Post 33941123)
It probably has something to do with lockeroom issues/media/bad relationships with coach, cause you dont trade one of the best captains in the league for cap space..

What do you feel makes him one of the best captains in the league?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 33941841)
cause the GM lost his damn mind

Get a ****ing clue.

mypunkrock 06-24-2011 03:36 AM

At 26, Richards has dealt with serious injuries.

Shoulders, a hernia, and multiple wrist injuries. He is not a big guy, and it may be problematic.

Soundwave 06-24-2011 03:54 AM

How many years does Pronger have left though?

Isn't he coming off like back surgery? If the choice was between Pronger and Richards/Carter ... I'd take Richards/Carter.

Bryz4shiz 06-24-2011 04:06 AM

Why was Richie dealt?

I have no clue. Tonight I had to go out and get plastered because my favorite Flyer is now a King

Voodoo Child 06-24-2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggleTheHandle (Post 33940803)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3.../richards7.jpg

(there are a lot more pics like this. Good thing LA isnt a party town).

For a young man of means like Mikey Rich, LA (in fact, all of SoCal) has enormous gongshow potential. Hope he can handle himself.

Loving Jcarts creeping in the background of that pic :laugh:

Spongolium* 06-24-2011 04:34 AM

I think there are injuries that are lingering that we don't know about. A wrist injury all year that he didn't take surgery on?

Something is going on.

Bryz4shiz 06-24-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 33943037)
I think there are injuries that are lingering that we don't know about. A wrist injury all year that he didn't take surgery on?

Something is going on.

The Flyers have a medical staff/ownership that literally almost killed Lindros, if that injury was the problem that is 100% the fault of the Flyers organization

JXC 06-24-2011 07:33 AM

The Flyers leadership are Old School and they grew weary of the Young Playboys who were supposedly leading their team.

It is culture shift.

Protest 06-24-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC (Post 33945123)
The Flyers leadership are Old School and they grew weary of the Young Playboys who were supposedly leading their team.

It is culture shift.

Is the stuff they did really all that different than other players around the league, or for that matter throughout the history of the league? I mean this is what athletes do, even going back to 70's.

JXC 06-24-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest (Post 33945251)
Is the stuff they did really all that different than other players around the league, or for that matter throughout the history of the league? I mean this is what athletes do, even going back to 70's.

Don't know. I just think that was a big part of it.

I think Richards would still be here if he weren't captain. He clearly couldn't handle that job and clearly Pronger was the team leader.

And let's face it - as a leader, Mike Richards was a failure here.

Protest 06-24-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC (Post 33945317)
Don't know. I just think that was a big part of it.

I think Richards would still be here if he weren't captain. He clearly couldn't handle that job and clearly Pronger was the team leader.

And let's face it - as a leader, Mike Richards was a failure here.

I think he'd still be here if Pronger was never brought in. Its hard to be the captain/manager when you're young and you have older, more experienced, and more well respected individuals that you're supposed to be leading. Add in a personality like Pronger and it's probably even harder.

If you don't have a ridiculous personality like Pronger its probably not going to work out. I don't think guys like Briere or Kimmo could have been captains at Richards age, they would have run into similar problems. Maybe they wouldn't have been as bad with the media, but that doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things.

JXC 06-24-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest (Post 33945495)
I think he'd still be here if Pronger was never brought in. Its hard to be the captain/manager when you're young and you have older, more experienced, and more well respected individuals that you're supposed to be leading. Add in a personality like Pronger and it's probably even harder.

Yeah, good point, you are probably right.

redman 06-24-2011 08:20 AM

locker romm cancer.

Lavy gave him the rope after the allstar break and he hung himself

Snider wanted him gone!

CharlieGirl 06-24-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC (Post 33945317)
And let's face it - as a leader, Mike Richards was a failure here.

Including leading the team to the Cup Finals? And the Conference Finals?

Or do those not count?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.