HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pick 13: Sven Bärtschi (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=933139)

Doogee 06-24-2011 08:38 PM

Pick 13: Sven Bärtschi

Thought it was time for his own thread.

Actually pretty happy with the selection, after reading more about him.

Quote:

http://i56.tinypic.com/o94gzl.jpg

Followed up an 85-point regular season with an even more impressive 27-points in Portland's 20-game playoff run. Competed for Switzerland at the U-20's and didn't look out of place.

Strengths - has a high revving engine, rarely stops skating or competing, reads the play well and has good vision and passing skills, soft hands, knows how to score goals. quick release on the fly.

Weaknesses - won't be able to dominate physically at the pro level due to a lack of size. Good skill package, but not elite.

NHL Upside - a pretty safe bet to play in the NHL, may be ready to play within a couple of seasons. Has the drive to be a second-line winger.

Signature 06-24-2011 08:40 PM

Thanks for this post/thread, Australiamate. :D Nice to know.

Snoil11 06-24-2011 08:46 PM

Couldn't resist and had to add the umlaut to the thread title. ;)

DBU 06-24-2011 09:03 PM

YAY! So happy with this choice.

superhakan 06-24-2011 09:21 PM

Very Happy with the pick, guy is exactly what i like i a player. Good skills, feisty, and quick. Plus he wears my favorite number, maybe my next flame jersey :D

StreakingRed 06-24-2011 09:30 PM

I'm pretty happy with this pick. I look forward to seeing what kind of chemistry Bärtschi can develop with Backlund.

FlamesFan6612 06-24-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superhakan (Post 34023601)
Very Happy with the pick, guy is exactly what i like i a player. Good skills, feisty, and quick. Plus he wears my favorite number, maybe my next flame jersey :D

Dont do that too quick. He could pull an Erixon on us. Although he doesnt seem like the guy to do that.

Flames Fanatic 06-24-2011 10:19 PM

He looked pretty happy to be drafted by us, unlike he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Signature 06-24-2011 10:21 PM

I think we gotta move past the Erixon fiasco. It happens once in a blue moon to be honest, and Calgary's not that unlucky. The Flames won a Cup. They've lost a Cup. They saw Vancouver lose a Cup. Again. Thrice, actually.

Calgary Flames fans and the organization are not that unlucky. Bartschi will be a good kid for us.

Haatley 06-24-2011 10:28 PM

as i said in the other thread yesterday i really hope baertschi is around still at 13. most people had him around 10, so this is good for calgary.

tfong 06-24-2011 10:29 PM

He doesn't have a father that played for New York at least :D

AntonRodin* 06-24-2011 11:22 PM

I had high hopes for him. Not anymore.

Steven 06-24-2011 11:23 PM

Really excited about this pick. IMO Feaster got this one right!

GoFlames 06-24-2011 11:26 PM

Also chiming into the chorus here. I like that he is skilled, excellent skater and a competitor. Looking forward to seeing how he does.

Doogee 06-25-2011 12:06 AM

Interview.

Quote:

ST. PAUL, MN -- After Sven Baertschi heard his name called by the Calgary Flames at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, his heart stopped.

Despite the fact the left winger from Langenthal, SUI had two meetings with the club prior to Friday night, the shock of being chosen in the first round hit him at full force.

"I can't really descibe how I feel right now. It was my dream and today I lived my dream so it was just amazing," he told CalgaryFlames.com after he finished meeting with the team's scouting staff and hockey operations. "It's just ... no words."

After getting off the draft floor, the 18 year-old was whisked away by the Flames PR personnel to go through the rigorous post-draft process.

He went through interview after interview, facing media from all over the world, and then headed off for several photo shoots from various agencies.

The smile Baertschi sported when he walked up on stage to throw on the Flames jersey didn't leave his face all night and he handled the barrage graciously.

"It feels like you're a superstar or something but I'm not," he smiled. "It's fun, you have to enjoy it, but I'll sleep good tonight."

Throughout his trek through all of the required stations, Baertschi was met by autograph seekers of all ages. He happily signed anything put in front of him, thanking fans for their support.

"It feels a little weird," he admitted after he was swarmed by the first batch. "But it's still pretty cool."

After finally finishing up with the media, Baertschi was able to rejoin his family. His parents and brother stood eagerly at the entrance to the family area, proudly watching as he finished up his last interview.

"It's amazing. After the interviews and everything, it was nice to come back and hug them again, to see them again, and to see my mom smile."

Baertschi and his family are planning on spending Saturday exploring the Twin Cities and enjoying their downtime before the forward gets back to his summer training.

"I'm so happy to be a Flame. I can't wait to get to work," he said. "This summer will be very exciting."

When asked to sum up the night in one sentence, Baertschi's reply was instant.

"Dream come true."

Link

Xelstyle 06-25-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreakingRed (Post 34025033)
I'm pretty happy with this pick. I look forward to seeing what kind of chemistry Bärtschi can develop with Backlund.

A pretty small line to begin with, but could be very well dynamic in transition.

Feaster definitely made the best pick I think judging by who was left. Personally surprised that Armia was skipped over, but for Bartschi? No complaints here.

tmurfin 06-25-2011 01:01 AM

According to Alex Ruiz the kid was all smiles and very excited about being a flame.. Great to hear

MVW 06-25-2011 01:07 AM

Great pick, I wanted Scheifele first, and Bartschi second. This guy will be an impact player for us in 2-3 years. Finally we picked up a skilled player that can score!

flames123 06-25-2011 02:24 AM

I've watched him play in Kelowna in the playoffs this past year and he IS one of those "special" "impact" players. Everything you hear about him is true. He will be a scoring forward some day and this type of player has set us in the right direction organizationally and I feel Feaster has done a good job so far.

ChumpyG 06-25-2011 05:00 AM

Sven was pretty damn outstanding for the hawks this past season. Tenacious, scrappy, and he can score. You guys will love him... but hopefully not for another year or two. ;)

brewski1810 06-25-2011 09:41 AM

Happy we grabbed him, feaster did a good job getting the best guy there for the taking, hopefully rattie slips too! They already have great chemistry, it would be awesome to see them together at the NHL level

GoFlames 06-25-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChumpyG (Post 34048555)
Sven was pretty damn outstanding for the hawks this past season. Tenacious, scrappy, and he can score. You guys will love him... but hopefully not for another year or two. ;)

Great to hear! :nod:

TheNextOneX 06-26-2011 02:31 AM

Bartschi will surprise on this coming training camp.

I wouldn't be surprised if he even make the team next season.

JERMIC 06-26-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNextOneX (Post 34115513)
Bartschi will surprise on this coming training camp.

I wouldn't be surprised if he even make the team next season.

Personally I don't see him making the team. Even if he had a great season!

Probably not too far from making the team, but I guess the best for is development is another year spent in Portland

Belenos 06-26-2011 06:47 AM

His agent said that he will be ready in one season. I would say 2 seasons at least. Be patient with him and everything turns out well, i am sure about that.

I like this quote in a swiss newspaper:

After his agent told the media, Bärtschi would be ready for 2012/13, Bärtschi expected even more from himself: "In my career i was always an influential player and never a follower. I want to achieve this status in the NHL too. "He seems to know how to reach this goal. "All first round picks are incredibly talented. Not the talent, but the work ethic will determine who among us (first round picks) will play in the NHL and who not. The success is in the details, "he says.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...ufer--16577809