HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Prospect Info: Joe Morrow | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | First round, 23rd overall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=933191)

shureshot66 06-24-2011 10:15 PM

Joe Morrow | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | First round, 23rd overall

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/draftpr....htm?dpid=9475

In-depth report courtesy of thehockeywriters.com

Joe Morrow

Date of birth: Dec 9, 1992
Place of birth: Sherwood Park, AB, Canada
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 197
Shoots: L

Position: Defense
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2011

http://d1l8737wcwfl1q.cloudfront.net...kr-300x200.jpg

Quote:

One-Timer:

After averaging almost a point-per-game in the 2011 WHL playoffs, Joe is a best kept secret no longer. Morrow is in the all-around puck-moving mould of blueliner who is so highly coveted by NHL teams in the post-lockout era.

Cannon shot – check. Very good passer – check. Puck poise – check.

However, what really sets morrow apart is his absolute superb skating ability. Although I think the comparison is a stretch, when you hear Paul Coffey’s name in the same sentence as Joe Morrow, you have to stand up and take notice.

Although definitely improved especially with respect to positioning, Morrow must continue to develop his defensive acumen and work on having a quicker shot release.

Top Prospects Game: (from Bruins Draft Watch 2011)
“The puck-mover didn’t do a great deal to stand out either way. He was involved earlier in the game when Cherry had a string of power plays, but when the offense tilted the other way, Morrow was largely invisible. You can see the size and skill, but this wasn’t a great game for him.”

Scout’s Honor:

“It’s amazing how strong he is. He has so much power in his legs and upper body, and his leg strength is a big part of his explosive skating as well as his big shot.”

- Portland Director of Hockey Operations Matt Bardsley

“Morrow’s skills are highlighted by hi great skating ability. Morrow has smooth strides, and wins races on a regular basis.”

- HockeyProspect.com 2011 Draft Guide

Bio/Interview(s)/Link(s):

Draft tracker: 5 questions with Joe Morrow, Portland Winterhawks (Yahoo Sports: Buzz the Net)

International Tournaments: N/A

ETA = 2-3 years

Risk-Reward Analysis:

Risk = 1.5/5 Reward = 4/5

NHL Potential:

Top 4 puck-moving defensemen with top pairing upside

Strengths:

*See “One Timer” section above.

Cannon shot
Very good passer
Puck poise
Superb skating ability

Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:

Continue to train to increase strength and add mass to frame to handle the rigors of the NHL.
Continue to develop his defensive zone acumen.
Need to get shot off faster, i.e. increase shot release speed.

Fantasy Hockey Potential: Offensive = 8/10 Defensive = 8/10

NHL Player(s) Comparison:

- A hybrid of Dan Hamhuis and Duncan Keith

- Hall of Fame:

“He reminds me of Denis Potvin, without the mean streak … with his offensive skills and the way he plays the game. He’s a first-pairing guy in Portland and he’ll be an NHL player someday,” said the CSB’s Rick Jackson (Edmonton Journal)
McKenzie:

Quote:

JOE MORROW (20TH)

Portland's second-round pick from the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft stepped up offensively in the WHL playoffs and leading all blueliners with six goals, and finishing behind only Brayden McNabb with 20 points.

Strengths - Athletic, swift skating puck mover, really gritty, not afraid to lay the lumber on opponents. Has a big shot from the point. One of the better skaters in the draft.

Weaknesses - has sense issues in the defensive zone, doesn't always make the right decisions and reads. Will need to learn to pick his spots offensively.

NHL Upside - Number three or four defenceman who will see lots of power play time, providing he corrects some risky defensive habits.

Jacob 06-24-2011 10:16 PM

Cool.

AugustBurnsRed* 06-24-2011 10:17 PM

I like it to be honest.

mikeod1986 06-24-2011 10:18 PM

I would have really liked to have seen us take Saad here

AquaticBirdman 06-24-2011 10:20 PM

Meh. I see him potentially being trade bait down the road.

RoninsRevenge 06-24-2011 10:22 PM

thud.

Hizaki 06-24-2011 10:22 PM

I was hoping badly for Brandon Saad (or Biggs or Puempel). I can't complain though...our D is set with our top 4 now and Despres/Morrow in development.

Weide 06-24-2011 10:23 PM

In the little clip they showed he kind of looked like a left shooting Letang. If he has that kind of upside you can't complain about the pick.

peskypenguin4 06-24-2011 10:24 PM

Not my favorite pick but I see why they did it... Shero did come from Nashville everyone.

MonkeyPrick 06-24-2011 10:25 PM

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible :(

NTP 3 06-24-2011 10:26 PM

I wasn't expecting this, but he sounds like he could be our future power play quarterback.

AquaticBirdman 06-24-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hizaki (Post 34023779)
I was hoping badly for Brandon Saad (or Biggs or Puempel). I can't complain though...our D is set with our top 4 now and Despres/Morrow in development.

Our D was set for many years even before we drafted Morrow. I'm wondering how much longer this team will continue to neglect its weaknesses on the wing down in the system.

AquaticBirdman 06-24-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeCandy 44 (Post 34024347)
I wasn't expecting this, but he sounds like he could be our future power play quarterback.

I personally don't see him setting foot on NHL ice for at least another 4-5 years. But I might just be bitter over the fact that we didn't draft a winger :(

#66 06-24-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weide (Post 34023861)
In the little clip they showed he kind of looked like a left shooting Letang. If he has that kind of upside you can't complain about the pick.

Thats exactly who I thought of when I seen him. He plays with a fair amout of bite for a player of his size. When/ if he can get stronger he'll be a fine player.

I like Morrow but as usual I'm pissing and moaning about who's left on the table. I really think Biggs was the Pens man and Burke knew it.

Hizaki 06-24-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 (Post 34024677)
Our D was set for many years even before we drafted Morrow. I'm wondering how much longer this team will continue to neglect its weaknesses on the wing down in the system.

Agreed...just trying to find the positive in not taking one of the available wingers at #23 ;)

spcastlemagic 06-24-2011 10:33 PM

You can never have enough amazing skating defensemen, but this organization needs to develop a forward eventually.

#66 06-24-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machu Picchu (Post 34024217)
Horrible, Horrible, Horrible :(

Its not so bad. Its better than a defensive defenseman with no sense.

rk50 06-24-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 (Post 34024879)
I personally don't see him setting foot on NHL ice for at least another 4-5 years. But I might just be bitter over the fact that we didn't draft a winger :(

There are other ways to address weaknesses. See: Gogo, Alex.

AquaticBirdman 06-24-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk50 (Post 34025375)
There are other ways to address weaknesses. See: Gogo, Alex.

Hence why I called him "trade bait" :)

DangleInaPhonebooth 06-24-2011 10:35 PM

Not happy, considering the talented forwards left on the board... Puempel, Jurco, Rattie. They could have taken a chance on a kid like Ryan Sproul in round 2. Ugh!

Goalie_Bob 06-24-2011 10:35 PM

My first reaction is: meh

It will take a few years to get another reaction.

mrzeigler 06-24-2011 10:36 PM

Any winger taken at #23 would be three years away from the NHL anyway, so I didn't care what position we took.

Having read a little about Morrow in the past 10 minutes, my initial impression is that I like this pick. The value of smooth-skating offensive defensemen are at a premium in the new NHL — assuming he pans out as projected, this turns into a pick that results in very good value for us or he is traded for a return better than you'd expect for a 23rd overall pick.

Of course, he could bomb, too. But none of what I read indicate he's a risky pick at all.

Letang fan 58 06-24-2011 10:37 PM

im sure the pick is good. but another dman when we need a fwd badly.

Jacob 06-24-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 (Post 34024879)

Not sure. He's a late 92 birth so he'll probably turn pro next summer. I guess if he develops well enough he could compete for an NHL job in 2 years.

Mr. T 06-24-2011 10:44 PM

A Zoloft banner ad? That's new.