HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Prospect Info: D Darren Dietz - 5th Round 138th overall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=933885)

hototogisu 06-25-2011 12:29 PM

D Darren Dietz - 5th Round 138th overall
 
Not to steal overlords' thunder but since there wasn't a topic on him yet... ;)

138 MTL DARREN DIETZ D CA 6' 1" 193 WHL SASKATOON

habsfan11 06-25-2011 12:30 PM

Darren Dietz - 5th Round 138th overall
 
Discuss

Aeneas 06-25-2011 12:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbsm4f057TI

Russian Warrior 06-25-2011 12:34 PM

Not happy with the pick, we should've picked a BIG FORWARD lolz

Ice Poutine 06-25-2011 12:35 PM

He looks more like some muscle to me. I wonder if he'll ever be in the NHL. :shakehead

Whitesnake 06-25-2011 12:35 PM

Really intriguing and interesting pick. I like Dietz. Never thought he would be in Timmins mold.

shortcat1 06-25-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russian Warrior (Post 34075301)
Not happy with the pick, we should've picked a BIG FORWARD lolz

It's kind of strange... so far, only one forward and the rest are defensemen.

so far, anyway.

LeMAD 06-25-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 34075455)
Really intriguing and interesting pick. I like Dietz. Never thought he would be in Timmins mold.

Timmins can't scout everyone in the draft. He has to listen to his scouts.

Ice Poutine 06-25-2011 12:39 PM

Seems to me that he never finishes a guy, he fights but he's not that good... reminds me of Tom "drop em" guy we had a couple of years ago...

Forsead 06-25-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcat1 (Post 34075833)
It's kind of strange... so far, only one forward and the rest are defensemen.

so far, anyway.

Habs organization don't want to see 3-4 old slow dmens at the end of their career with the team at the same time ever again, so they stockpile young dmens.

Whitesnake 06-25-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 34075859)
Timmins can't scout everyone in the draft. He has to listen to his scouts.

Yet, he has the final say on the picks. And if they are really interested in him, Timmins does go and see them play.

shortcat1 06-25-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forsead (Post 34076025)
Habs organization don't want to see 3-4 old slow dmens in the end of their career with the team at the same time ever again, so they stockpile young dmens.

I suppose...

Jyroe Habs Fan 06-25-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russian Warrior (Post 34075301)
Not happy with the pick, we should've picked a BIG FORWARD lolz

Your an real piece of cake you know, this is a good pick.
He might have too many PIM for your liking though.

I am happy they picked a character guy from Saskatoon Blades.

macavoy 06-25-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 34076043)
Yet, he has the final say on the picks. And if they are really interested in him, Timmins does go and see them play.

Can he honestly personally scout the people that he wants in the 138 range? I mean, there would be about 10-20 different people in that range that he would want. I can't see him being able to personally watch all of the prospects that he wants in the later rounds.

RoyBoyCoy 06-25-2011 12:51 PM

We need the deets on Dietz

See what I did there?

Whitesnake 06-25-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macavoy (Post 34076909)
Can he honestly personally scout the people that he wants in the 138 range? I mean, there would be about 10-20 different people in that range that he would want. I can't see him being able to personally watch all of the prospects that he wants in the later rounds.

Well I can tell you that usually, Timmins is able to get the guys he wants on his list of 50 players. I guess it depends that some years it's 50, 75 or 100, but I will choose to believe that if it's 50 based on his scouts reports and his personal viewings, that towards the end, he does see them all. Maybe not 10 times per guy but at least a couple of visits.

macavoy 06-25-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 34077555)
Well I can tell you that usually, Timmins is able to get the guys he wants on his list of 50 players. I guess it depends that some years it's 50, 75 or 100, but I will choose to believe that if it's 50 based on his scouts reports and his personal viewings, that towards the end, he does see them all. Maybe not 10 times per guy but at least a couple of visits.

Can you explain something to me. I don't understand how you would plan for a draft.

For example, we are picking at 17. I'm sure there were some players in 1-16 that TT really liked and would consider PG to move up if the price was right.

But how many of those players, would he actually have watched? I mean some players are obviously unattainable like Hopkins. But don't you have a responsibility to watch guys 5-15 at least once even if you aren't likely to be able to take them?

Then don't you also want to be prepared if someone offers you a 1st and a 3rd for your 17th pick, to take their 22nd? So don't you need to also watch guys from 15-30?

I mean, that's like 25 guys that you should see in the first round. Now I can't imagine planning for other rounds.

DJ Breadman 06-25-2011 01:05 PM

It's easy to get the guys you want when there not on anyone else's list. LOL

R S 06-25-2011 01:11 PM

Good pick up for Montreal. He's much more than just a fighter. Skates well and was the Blades most improved player this season. A right handed shot who has been prone to jump into the rush and make things happen. Good outlet passer and an ok shot.

When he does choose to fight, he's light out. Some of the biggest KO's I've ever seen this year were at the hands of Dietz. Cement hands and not afraid to punch someone's face in.

A real gem here. Congrats.

FrankMTL 06-25-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 34079435)
Good pick up for Montreal. He's much more than just a fighter. Skates well and was the Blades most improved player this season. A right handed shot who has been prone to jump into the rush and make things happen. Good outlet passer and an ok shot.

When he does choose to fight, he's light out. Some of the biggest KO's I've ever seen this year were at the hands of Dietz. Cement hands and not afraid to punch someone's face in.

A real gem here. Congrats.

Very interesting scouting report. Thanks RS!

WeThreeKings 06-25-2011 02:39 PM

So he's a big goon D man? Alright.. Boston influenced pick.

Team_Spirit 06-25-2011 02:49 PM

A star in the making, in MTL clubs:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lihgk57e9U1qgbkvi.gif

macavoy 06-25-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Spirit (Post 34087277)
A star in the making, in MTL clubs:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lihgk57e9U1qgbkvi.gif












http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...prinkler-o.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lihgk57e9U1qgbkvi.gif

didjuicythat 06-25-2011 03:04 PM

His numbers (8-19-27, +17 in 68 GP) are interesting for a 17-year old D playing a secondary role on a strong WHL team. In terms of the PP ice time, I'd guess he played mostly on the 2nd unit. Most 1st unit minutes must have been played by Colorado draftee Stefan Elliott and 1st rounder Duncan Siemens. Dietz managed to score 8 goals nonetheless on the season, that's 3 more than Siemens in 4 less GP. Intriguing offensive potential for sure... he seems to play a gritty game too.

Watsatheo 06-25-2011 03:18 PM

With Stefan Elliott moving on to the AHL he might get more icetime and PP time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.