HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rank the Habs draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=934049)

12jf54 06-25-2011 01:48 PM

Rank the Habs draft

What did you think ?

onice 06-25-2011 01:56 PM

It's what five minute the draft has been over. Why don't we wait let's say two years before we start to give out marks.

Ohashi_Jouzu 06-25-2011 01:57 PM

Solid C (maybe a C+ if I had the option). A little bit of maneuvering, and a couple of interesting picks, but overall I'm left feeling "meh" because of some of the options I feel they left on the table when they started the RHD train down the track, and moving out of the 3rd round instead of toward it keeps me from assessing anything as positive as a B. Oh, and drafting a 21 year old seems odd, no matter how good he is.

Fish on The Sand 06-25-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12jf54 (Post 34082975)
What did you think ?

This draft will be looked at as lost opportunity. Beaulieu's upside is a slightly better version of Hainsey, and the rest of the guys likely won't sniff the NHL. Hopefully Beaulieu proves to be a home run, but teams avoided him like the plague and drafted lower ranked dmen over him, something that should set off alarm bells. Can't help but think this will be a repeat of the Jason Ward fiasco.

Madam Kadri 06-25-2011 01:58 PM

F...for funny. So many d-men that I'm about to burst with laughter.

holyhabs87 06-25-2011 01:59 PM

Last time Timmins took this many dmen it worked out quite well for us.

JGRB 06-25-2011 02:01 PM

For what we had available to us in the way of picks, I guess B.

Beaulieu falling to us has a big part in that rating, otherwise I'd say C.

Habs 06-25-2011 02:01 PM

Another lackluster draft, the team should have made a trade or two. I'm certain it never even crossed their mind to try and trade up, or make a deal. I bet PG had no idea DS was even available from San Jose, he's clueless.

Timmins and PG are so safe and predictable, another reason why this team will reside in mediocrity the next few years if this collection hangs around.

neofury* 06-25-2011 02:04 PM

If it weren't for Beaulieu I would probably say C-

Since we got Beaulieu who dropped to 17.... B

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGRB (Post 34083883)
For what we had available to us in the way of picks, I guess B.

Beaulieu falling to us has a big part in that rating, otherwise I'd say C.

:laugh: Didn't even see this post.

But yeah getting someone who fell so far, I'm happy with the pick.

OneSharpMarble 06-25-2011 02:06 PM

After the beating our small guys took last year they made no effort to add grit or strength. D- and it isnt an F only because Beaulieu might make the nhl.

Whitesnake 06-25-2011 02:07 PM

YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!! It will get emotional around here and all so, keep that thread idea in mind, and comeback in 4 years.

For the fun of it, 'cause it is in good fun....I'd say B.

Beaulieu is an awesome pick and I'm absolutely thrilled. I'd wish we'd have more tougher forwards, but strangely I'm more thrilled about Round 6 and 7 than the 4th. There are some boom or bust picks and the great thing is that they actually were picked when you can do such picks. Didier, have seen him once and thought we'd be interested in hm. He's actually the guy that has the best potential to be a player for us. Liked Archambault a lot ALL YEAR LONG, just thought that in the end, there were other players. Don't know the 21 yo d-man and there were also other players I wanted. Dietz is fine, reliable, steady...not sure about the ceiling but we will see. Pribyl and Sullivan, well that's interesting, mostly because of where they were picked. So all and all a fine draft. Could have been better, could have been worst.

Unsexy in the middle, sexier as we went along. But possibly rewarding down the stretch.

Protest the Hero 06-25-2011 02:08 PM

I rate it A+ just for the meltdowns from people who have never seen these kids play a single game.

http://i.imgur.com/vp23L.gif

Monctonscout 06-25-2011 02:11 PM

I don't mind the draft as a whole...I think Beaulieu has some tools to be special...and a few of those d-men have nice upside. My only knock is not gettintg a couple of abrasive forwards(Kessy?) and maybe another?

B

hototogisu 06-25-2011 02:12 PM

Not going to do that, because I really find that a silly exercise, minutes after the draft ends.

But I really love the Beaulieu, Pribyl and Sullivan picks. All guys who were on my radar and who I didn't think would be around for the Habs' picks.

On the downside, I didn't like that we (again) didn't have any picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Lots of really attractive names that we missed out on.

We picked up three 4th rounders and proceeded to take three guys who absolutely weren't on my radar at all, so I'm going to have to trust Timmins on that one.

As always, I found myself wishing we had more picks, even in the 7th when you still had guys like Larraza (until PHX got him), McKee (ND), Marchenko (until DET got him), etc still up there.

Gustave 06-25-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 34084633)
I don't mind the draft as a whole...I think Beaulieu has some tools to be special...and a few of those d-men have nice upside. My only knock is not gettintg a couple of abrasive forwards(Kessy?) and maybe another?

B

The word you're looking for is "hostile".

Captain Smurf 06-25-2011 02:15 PM

Immediate reaction is B-/C+. Beaulieu is a nice piece and they have a lot of boom or bust guys. Happy they've started looking to Europe in later rounds, most sleepers seem to come from there. Still would have liked more size up front (though Pribyl looks interesting. I'd like him to make it just to see how the play-by-play guys pronounce his name;))

Still, its impossible to know how we did until a few years pass.

Crimson Skorpion 06-25-2011 02:16 PM

B

Beaulieu at 17, what a friggin' steal.
Josiah Didier at 97, very nice. I hoped the Habs would pick him in the 4th too.
Archambault at 108, I'm undecided at this point. Nice hands though.
Nygren at 113, I'm alright with this. Could turn out and be a good prospect.
Dietz at 138, I like this pick up. Very solid.
Pribyl at 168, love it. Not just for size, but for the type of player he is. Future top 9.
Sullivan at 198, very nice pick. Not happy about him going to Yale though.

DJ Breadman 06-25-2011 02:17 PM

The Beaulieu pick was awesome A+, after that the picks were just plain goofy, it's like Timmins thinks he is smarter then everyone else and picks guys no one's heard of. The thing is he isn't smarter then everyone else

hototogisu 06-25-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Breadman (Post 34085089)
The Beaulieu pick was awesome A+, after that the picks were just plain goofy, it's like Timmins thinks he is smarter then everyone else and picks guys no one's heard of. The thing is he isn't smarter then everyone else

So your suggested strategy would be to just walk into the draft with the final rankings from CSS or TSN and go in order, basically?

Em Ancien 06-25-2011 02:21 PM

Except for Beaulieu, very few players have a future that looks great.

Looks mostly like a bunch of best-case-scenario role players. I'd give a C+ for having an average-looking draft.

Nothing to bolster our depth in nets or size up-front (except for a long-shot late-round pick, and he's more of a finesse big than a mucky grinder or skilled bruiser). Added to a relatively solid organizational position (defense).

Could've went a lot better, but it's not like any pick is worth a head shake.

macavoy 06-25-2011 02:26 PM

If Nathan pans out and he's the only pick that pans out, I give it an A+. All the rest are like lottery tickets anyways. Grading them is retarded.

PricePkPatch 06-25-2011 02:28 PM

If we keep Subban, Markov and Wiz, we could start to think we'd cornered the market when it comes to Offensive D-men

VAN-HAB 06-25-2011 02:35 PM

Beaulieu, Probyl, and Dietz all very good picks for these 3 A-

Darth Joker 06-25-2011 02:38 PM

B- for me.

I think we did the most with the draft picks that we had. We made a great 1st round selection, and our mid-round selections are interesting ones at least.

Slightly disappointed we didn't do anything on the trade front, but I think that the real test there will obviously be free agency period.

Gauthier has no excuses, none, for not adding at least one key helpful player to our team via free agency. Even with Gomez and Spacek, we still have enough cap space to add a guy like Laich or Cole.

So if Gauthier makes a good UFA addition or two then his lack of trade activity at the draft becomes inconsequential, imo.

Miller Time 06-25-2011 02:55 PM

don't know nearly enough about the prospects to make any kind of educated comment on the players we drafted outside of Beaulieu...

that said, despite my faith in Timmins, and his track record of success with later picks, there are a few question marks for me.

- hard to like the only move considering that we traded out of the 3rd round to get our 4th rounder back, along with another 4th. Was Sopel really that much of a need with Weber/Picard already there? did he really give us more than they could have? my feeling is no, making it another disappointing asset transaction

- it appears (though it may not be the case), that we drafted with organizational need valued above BPA... perhaps that is not the case, perhaps in each round we got the highest player on our scouting list and it just so happened to be heavily dmen... but the fact that our defensive prospect group is thin at least begs the question.
personally i prefer the BPA approach taking precedence. never know what kind of trade/roster move is around the corner which may completely change the strengths/holes in the depth charts, better players you have the more flexibility you have in making moves to address immediate needs (i.e, the draft should be about adding talent to the organization, not filling holes which is what free agency/trades should prioritize).