HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Prospect Info: 2011 Panthers Draft summary (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=934067)

Acadmus 06-25-2011 01:58 PM

2011 Panthers Draft summary
 
Panthers draft:

rd name pos.
1 JONATHAN HUBERDEAU - C
2 ROCCO GRIMALDI - C
2 RASMUS BENGTSSON - D
3 VINCENT TROCHECK - C
3 LOGAN SHAW - RW
3 JONATHAN RACINE - D
3 KYLE RAU - C
5 YAROSLAV KOSOV - F
6 EDWARD WITTCHOW - D
7 IIRO PAKARINEN - RW

Anyone want to provide a bit of a scouting report on each prospect?

Please save debate on players for the official draft GDT, this is just a summary thread for informational purposes.

Dread Clawz 06-25-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 34083697)
Panthers draft:

rd name pos.
1 JONATHAN HUBERDEAU - C
2 ROCCO GRIMALDI - C
2 RASMUS BENGTSSON - D
3 VINCENT TROCHECK - C
3 LOGAN SHAW - RW
3 JONATHAN RACINE - D
3 KYLE RAU - C
5 YAROSLAV KOSOV - F
6 EDWARD WITTCHOW - D
7 IIRO PAKARINEN - RW

Anyone want to provide a bit of a scouting report on each prospect?

Please save debate on players for the official draft GDT, this is just a summary thread for informational purposes.

Huberdeau-highly skilled and creative center/lw with A+ shot and goal scoring instincts. Is a better playmaker though. Amazing vision and passing ability. Sees the ice like few players can. Very gritty, a leader. Clutch scorer. Can stickhandle in a phone booth. Needs to improve his speed and explosiveness. Is good on his turns and pivots. Great lateral movement.

Grimaldi- One of the most skilled players in the draft. Amazing stickhandler and shooter. Great vision as well. Is a center, can play right wing too. Probably projects as more of a winger in the nhl because he's just too small to play center probably. Tons of grit and work ethic packed into small body. Plays like he's 6'0" not 5'6". Is a terrific skater as well. Blazing speed, great quickness and agility. Good hockey sense.

Bengtsson- Solid two-way d.

Trochek-A skilled smaller center who plays a nice all-around game. Very smart player, knows where to be on the ice in all situations, has no problem getting into battles with bigger guys. Possesses good shot, is a better playmaker though. Average skater, maybe slightly above average but it's not a weakness for him because of his anticipation. Upside probably a 2nd liner but safer projection is bottom line center or bust.

Shaw-Gritty energy player with great size. Good shot, decent skills but his forte is his physical play. Upside a 2nd-3rd line tweener, downside a bust.

Racine- a big gritty defense first d-man.

Rau- a small highly skilled boom or bust forward. Like Grimaldi, is listed as a center but probably will switch to wing in the NHL if he makes it. Was Minnesota Mr. Hockey winner. Was the most dominant offensive player in the Minn. high school ranks this season. Said by his coach to be a good leader.

Kosov- a huge gritty forward.

Wittchow- A big D with a high upside. has quick feet and good speed. Good hockey sense and possesses a mean streak. Good offensive skills.

Pakarinen-Big gritty in your face type winger. Has decent hands and skating. Plays a very pro-style and responsible game.

gizmo12688 06-25-2011 03:31 PM

Thanks MR

Mogo 06-25-2011 03:44 PM

Jonathan Huberdeau



Rocco Grimaldi




Logan Shaw



VINCENT TROCHECK




Jonathan Racine vs Jonathan Huberdeau



Kyle Rau



Yaroslav Kosov - 1-0 goal, 4-1 goal



Iiro Pakarinen


VAiN* 06-25-2011 03:51 PM

I'm just happy to have a guy named Rocco on the team.

pb1300 06-25-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAiN (Post 34090827)
I'm just happy to have a guy named Rocco on the team.

I just hope Rocco is the new Marty :yo:

BabyJagrov 06-25-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 34088267)
Huberdeau-highly skilled and creative center/lw with A+ shot and goal scoring instincts. Is a better playmaker though. Amazing vision and passing ability. Sees the ice like few players can. Very gritty, a leader. Clutch scorer. Can stickhandle in a phone booth. Needs to improve his speed and explosiveness. Is good on his turns and pivots. Great lateral movement.

Grimaldi- One of the most skilled players in the draft. Amazing stickhandler and shooter. Great vision as well. Is a center, can play right wing too. Probably projects as more of a winger in the nhl because he's just too small to play center probably. Tons of grit and work ethic packed into small body. Plays like he's 6'0" not 5'6". Is a terrific skater as well. Blazing speed, great quickness and agility. Good hockey sense.

Bengtsson- Solid two-way d.

Trochek-A skilled smaller center who plays a nice all-around game. Very smart player, knows where to be on the ice in all situations, has no problem getting into battles with bigger guys. Possesses good shot, is a better playmaker though. Average skater, maybe slightly above average but it's not a weakness for him because of his anticipation. Upside probably a 2nd liner but safer projection is bottom line center or bust.

Shaw-Gritty energy player with great size. Good shot, decent skills but his forte is his physical play. Upside a 2nd-3rd line tweener, downside a bust.

Racine- a big gritty defense first d-man.

Rau- a small highly skilled boom or bust forward. Like Grimaldi, is listed as a center but probably will switch to wing in the NHL if he makes it. Was Minnesota Mr. Hockey winner. Was the most dominant offensive player in the Minn. high school ranks this season. Said by his coach to be a good leader.

Kosov- a huge gritty forward.

Wittchow- A big D with a high upside. has quick feet and good speed. Good hockey sense and possesses a mean streak. Good offensive skills.

Pakarinen-Big gritty in your face type winger. Has decent hands and skating. Plays a very pro-style and responsible game.

Great report as always MR !

May I add that Wittchow could end up being a real steal in the 6th round, he was highly regarded by lots of hockey people and garnered a lot of talks lately. He is still growing in his body, he has grown two inches each year for the past two...

Pakarinen, I've heard nothing but good things about him, even as an over-ager which you didn't mentioned here.

Kosov has been described by RussianProspects as a good sized disciplined winger with a scoring touch... A surprise pick. Took a lot of people by surprise, and could surprise with the huge body and the suspected good hands. Don't expect a lot of that 5th rounder, but remember the name you never know.

Rau is a great great boom-or-bust type of player, and I'm glad we took a chance on him.

I've been hard on Racine in the Draft GDT, just because there isn't that much upside and we could have gotten a much better forward (then selected a defenseman in the 5th instead of the surprise Kosov, Racine could even have been there)... The waste pick of our draft IMO. Maybe Panthers saw something others don't.

Logan Shaw will surprise... Still not the best pick, but if the guy could develop another level of speed he could be a real effective player. He is a big body North-South player that has underrated potential because of the terrible team.

Vince Trochek... Solid pick, not overwhelmed by it as I've said (that's because I add favorites like Catenacci, Prince and others rated higher but I'm no scout) but solid pick... A cerebral scrappy player that doesn't give an inch on the ice and does all the little things well. Not a lot of offensive potential but could emerge with big production in Juniors because of his hockey IQ.

Rasmus Bengtsson... Don't know a whole lot more than you... One of J17's favorite gems in the draft. Lots of reports saying he could be one kind of player with a lot of tools. We'll see if he puts it all together in the future.

Rocco Grimaldi... Top-3 offensive talent in the draft, should have been a top-20 pick IMO. Has the drive and the skills to be a game-breaker at the next level. The best pure goal-scorer in the draft by RLR. Can't be hit cleanly, thanks to an amazing skating stride.

Jonathan Huberdeau... Don't need to elaborate on him. One thing I found over the internet today, Johnny was 140 to 145 pounds in his rookie year in the Q before his coming out party in the playoffs. He came in next training camp after a disappointing U-18 tournament, he weighted in at 165lbs... And he hasn't stopped impressing since. He is up to 170 now, and even if Bob McKenzie said this kid shouldn't play in the NHL next year (and I do think one year in Junior would be great for his development), I wouldn't be surprised if he came in training well-over RNH's weight and made the NHL before him.

A pretty good draft by Tallon, even if the third round could have been handled a bit better by making another high-risk pick or two like the Rau one.

Boooooth10 06-25-2011 04:55 PM

Wow, thanks for all the info guys! This draft has me really excited for the future :)

Acadmus 06-25-2011 05:23 PM

Thanks for the updates, guys.

Jagrov - maybe Racine's selection was because Tallon wants someone who apparently has a nasty edge to him in the prospect pool figuring it wouldn't be bad to have some of that on the blueline if he develops well enough. Looking at last year's draft and this, we've now got a rather large amount of depth in the prospect system (23 picks in the last two drafts, isn't it?) and so can afford to spend a later round pick on a specific role player.:dunno:

BabyJagrov 06-25-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 34095569)
Thanks for the updates, guys.

Jagrov - maybe Racine's selection was because Tallon wants someone who apparently has a nasty edge to him in the prospect pool figuring it wouldn't be bad to have some of that on the blueline if he develops well enough. Looking at last year's draft and this, we've now got a rather large amount of depth in the prospect system (23 picks in the last two drafts, isn't it?) and so can afford to spend a later round pick on a specific role player.:dunno:

For sure... But I think he would have been available later. Maybe with our fifth-rounder...

And Reid Boucher was still left when we picked the guy. And three of my favorites went about right after Bengtsson, Trochek and Shaw. I think one of those 3 would have been available in Jonathan Racine's spot, meaning in the end we could have picked another forward with high-end potential instead of a solid nasty underwhelming defenseman.

But they must have liked Racine a lot to take that kind of defenseman that high. That's what I don't get.

From everything I heard, Wittchow has much much more potential than Racine. So I'm really wondering what is the thinking behind this pick really.

All the others I can live with, and I could even live with Racine too. It's just my man-crush on Shane Prince or Reid Boucher that got the better of me.

I would have no problem to claim us the clear winner of the draft if we had drafted one of these kids instead. Now, I'm just saying we had a solid draft, like a lot of others teams.

Abu 06-25-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 34088267)
Pakarinen-Big gritty in your face type winger. Has decent hands and skating. Plays a very pro-style and responsible game.

All true. I would add that he has a good and hard wrist shot also. Accuracy is only decent but it is hard. He really has a chance to be someday an 3rd line winger who does a bit everything. But I think it's more possible that he will never play in NHL, but he has a chance if he does not get injured badly and if he develops a lot. We'll see...

P.S. If any of you want to hear how he's doing in the SM-Liiga, just put me a mesage and ask. I live in Kuopio, the same city where Pakarinen plays.

Dread Clawz 06-25-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyJagrov (Post 34096227)
For sure... But I think he would have been available later. Maybe with our fifth-rounder...

And Reid Boucher was still left when we picked the guy. And three of my favorites went about right after Bengtsson, Trochek and Shaw. I think one of those 3 would have been available in Jonathan Racine's spot, meaning in the end we could have picked another forward with high-end potential instead of a solid nasty underwhelming defenseman.

But they must have liked Racine a lot to take that kind of defenseman that high. That's what I don't get.

From everything I heard, Wittchow has much much more potential than Racine. So I'm really wondering what is the thinking behind this pick really.

All the others I can live with, and I could even live with Racine too. It's just my man-crush on Shane Prince or Reid Boucher that got the better of me.

I would have no problem to claim us the clear winner of the draft if we had drafted one of these kids instead. Now, I'm just saying we had a solid draft, like a lot of others teams.

It seems like Wittchow has more potential and Racine is the safer pick. I assume that's why Racine was picked in the 3rd and Wittchow in the 6th. I don't think there's really anything wrong with Racine in that range at all, he's just not flashy. I understand where you're coming from, because I wanted Russo there. I actually wanted a D prospect like Racine out of this draft, although with Bengtsson it might be overkill. I was hoping to get two solid D prospects out of today and we did that so I'm happy with that. I also wanted us to get a lot of offensive skill out of this draft and we did that as well. I wanted a goalie late, but I'm content with our last three picks.

We just have to trust the scouts. A lot of guys who were fairly highly ranked fell to the 4,5, and 6 rounds today. I can't say I'm disappointed with this draft at all. We did really well. I don't think that even if we picked let's say Lowry or Catenacci instead of Trochek, that we'd have had the best performance the draft anyway. The Sens won IMO. They had 3 1sts and made solid picks with all of them.

BabyJagrov 06-25-2011 06:23 PM

Didn't saw the video of Racine before commenting !

I heard he was mean, but didn't saw that and didn't thought it was mean MEAN. I know it's stupid to base on opinion on a YouTube clip, but after watching it...

Any kid not afraid to hit hard a star player in the League and to back it up like that deserves a bit of credit.

Still a doubting pick... But willing to wait !

I think Logan Shaw and Jonathan Racine were picks made because of organizational needs instead of BPA... If we went this way we could have had Daniel Catenacci and another D.

BabyJagrov 06-25-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 34098193)
It seems like Wittchow has more potential and Racine is the safer pick. I assume that's why Racine was picked in the 3rd and Wittchow in the 6th. I don't think there's really anything wrong with Racine in that range at all, he's just not flashy. I understand where you're coming from, because I wanted Russo there. I actually wanted a D prospect like Racine out of this draft, although with Bengtsson it might be overkill. I was hoping to get two solid D prospects out of today and we did that so I'm happy with that. I also wanted us to get a lot of offensive skill out of this draft and we did that as well. I wanted a goalie late, but I'm content with our last three picks.

We just have to trust the scouts. A lot of guys who were fairly highly ranked fell to the 4,5, and 6 rounds today. I can't say I'm disappointed with this draft at all. We did really well. I don't think that even if we picked let's say Lowry or Catenacci instead of Trochek, that we'd have had the best performance the draft anyway. The Sens won IMO. They had 3 1sts and made solid picks with all of them.

No problem with Trochek... As I've said before I just think we could have shuffled our draft selections a bit and still got a way better player than Logan Shaw or Jonathan Racine... Someone like Shane Prince (who I think will be a key-motor on a team one day) could have been picked before Bengtsson while still getting the chance to draft the Swede defenseman.

I don't like Luce saying we needed some size on right-wing when speaking about Shaw... That means we didn't went with BPA and guess what ? A great organization like the Sabres took Daniel Catenacci right after that !

We didn't have a 4th rounder and right around where we would have picked, New-Jersey took Reid Boucher... We had multiple third-round picks and we traded down once.

I have a small personal disagreement that's it... Overall a strong draft !

Lucky Luke 06-25-2011 06:44 PM

Jonathan Racine was, overall, one of the fittest players at the recent NHL Combines.

2nd in Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)
2nd in Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output (watts/kg)
2nd in Anthropemetry: Wing Span (inches)
1st in Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump (in)
1st in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Vert Jump/Pause (in)
5th in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Vert Jump/No Pause (in)
6th in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Leg Pwr Peak (Sayers)/Pause (watts)
7th in Musculoskeletal: 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Avg Jump Height (in)
4th in Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip (lb)
4th in Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip (lb)

His team, the Shawinigan Cataractes, will be hosting the Memorial Cup in 2011-12.

Dread Clawz 06-25-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyJagrov (Post 34098679)
No problem with Trochek... As I've said before I just think we could have shuffled our draft selections a bit and still got a way better player than Logan Shaw or Jonathan Racine... Someone like Shane Prince (who I think will be a key-motor on a team one day) could have been picked before Bengtsson while still getting the chance to draft the Swede defenseman.

I don't like Luce saying we needed some size on right-wing when speaking about Shaw... That means we didn't went with BPA and guess what ? A great organization like the Sabres took Daniel Catenacci right after that !

We didn't have a 4th rounder and right around where we would have picked, New-Jersey took Reid Boucher... We had multiple third-round picks and we traded down once.

I have a small personal disagreement that's it... Overall a strong draft !

I think though that we just have to trust our scouts that we did take the best players available at those positions, or those that they thought the org. really needed. I do agree though that I think Shaw could have been had in Rau's spot. But then that begs the question who doesn't get picked in the 3rd round then? I'm not that big of a fan of the Shaw pick, so I'm with you on that, but overall I think we did a really good job.

I think Bengtsson went where he should have went. I thought he was going to go late 2nd, early 3rd. I wouldn't have risked moving back any farther to get him. I really like that pick, from what I've read he could be really good and Swedes think he isn't far off from Brodin.

BabyJagrov 06-25-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Luke (Post 34099205)
Jonathan Racine was, overall, one of the fittest players at the recent NHL Combines.

2nd in Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)
2nd in Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output (watts/kg)
2nd in Anthropemetry: Wing Span (inches)
1st in Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump (in)
1st in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Vert Jump/Pause (in)
5th in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Vert Jump/No Pause (in)
6th in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Leg Pwr Peak (Sayers)/Pause (watts)
7th in Musculoskeletal: 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Avg Jump Height (in)
4th in Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip (lb)
4th in Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip (lb)

His team, the Shawinigan Cataractes, will be hosting the Memorial Cup in 2011-12.

Any scouting reports on the kid ? Except for being a physical specimen ?

Dread Clawz 06-25-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Luke (Post 34099205)
Jonathan Racine was, overall, one of the fittest players at the recent NHL Combines.

2nd in Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)
2nd in Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output (watts/kg)
2nd in Anthropemetry: Wing Span (inches)
1st in Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump (in)
1st in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Vert Jump/Pause (in)
5th in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Vert Jump/No Pause (in)
6th in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Leg Pwr Peak (Sayers)/Pause (watts)
7th in Musculoskeletal: 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Avg Jump Height (in)
4th in Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip (lb)
4th in Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip (lb)

His team, the Shawinigan Cataractes, will be hosting the Memorial Cup in 2011-12.

Wow, sounds like a heck of an athlete.

Lucky Luke 06-25-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyJagrov (Post 34099367)
Any scouting reports on the kid ? Except for being a physical specimen ?

Physical defensive defenceman.
8th overall pick in the 2009 QMJHL Midget Draft.

BabyJagrov 06-25-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 34099281)
I think though that we just have to trust our scouts that we did take the best players available at those positions, or those that they thought the org. really needed. I do agree though that I think Shaw could have been had in Rau's spot. But then that begs the question who doesn't get picked in the 3rd round then? I'm not that big of a fan of the Shaw pick, so I'm with you on that, but overall I think we did a really good job.

I think Bengtsson went where he should have went. I thought he was going to go late 2nd, early 3rd. I wouldn't have risked moving back any farther to get him. I really like that pick, from what I've read he could be really good and Swedes think he isn't far off from Brodin.

I'd rather have Rau in Rau's spot than Shaw in Rau's spot ! :naughty:

I'm like you okay with the draft and I can't do anything more than trusting the scouts.

I still think Shaw went because of size and needs rather than BPA. I would have loved Catenacci.

I think we could have taken Shane Prince with the 59th pick, Bengtsson available at 64th and then Trochek in Shaw's spot...

Still the draft was a crapshoot so we could have lost more than anything with that strategy !

Panthers really wanted Bengtsson IMO. And they knew he would be available at the top of the third-round, so trading back wasn't a problem for Luce and Tallon.

If Luce is happy with his strategy then I'm happy. I'm no scout so my opinion holds no value. Too bad loool.

BabyJagrov 06-25-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 34099395)
Wow, sounds like a heck of an athlete.

Sounds like an animal !!! :laugh:

jakethesnake23 06-25-2011 08:29 PM

Amazed at Rocco's speaking skills. Comes across as a very intelligent and driven guy. I feel far better about articulate guys like that than guys that can barely put a sentence together. It's not really a comment on a persons hockey skills, but rather their mental make-up. He gets and A there.

As far as him being a Bible Basher, whatever. Unless he literally starts bashing guys with Bibles, I don't see how its gonna affect anything.

Stoked we drafted him. Im a midget as well so it'll be good to follow a guy thats even shorter than me!

CoolburnIsGone 06-26-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Luke (Post 34099205)
Jonathan Racine was, overall, one of the fittest players at the recent NHL Combines.

2nd in Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)
2nd in Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output (watts/kg)
2nd in Anthropemetry: Wing Span (inches)
1st in Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump (in)
1st in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Vert Jump/Pause (in)
5th in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Vert Jump/No Pause (in)
6th in Musculoskeletal: Vertek Leg Pwr Peak (Sayers)/Pause (watts)
7th in Musculoskeletal: 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Avg Jump Height (in)
4th in Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip (lb)
4th in Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip (lb)

His team, the Shawinigan Cataractes, will be hosting the Memorial Cup in 2011-12.

To expand on this further for our other drafted prospects at the Combine:

Huberdeau:
2nd in Anerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index
6th in Anthropometry: Sum of 6 Skinfolds (mm)
6th in Anthropometry: Yuhasz % Body Fat

Grimaldi:
2nd in Anthropometry: Sum of 6 Skinfolds (mm)
2nd in Anthropometry: Yuhasz % Body Fat
5th in Musculosketal: Vertek Vert Jump/No Pause (in)
6th in Musculosketal: 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Avg Jump Height (in)
4th in Musculosketal: Push-ups (max #)
3rd in Musculosketal: Push Strength (lb/lb body weight)

Trocheck:
9th in Musculosketal: Vertek Vert Jump/Pause (in)
3rd in Musculosketal: Vertek Vert Jump/No Pause (in)
10th in Musculosketal: Right Hand Grip (lb)

jol 06-26-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 (Post 34103591)
As far as him being a Bible Basher, whatever. Unless he literally starts bashing guys with Bibles, I don't see how its gonna affect anything.

Stoked we drafted him. Im a midget as well so it'll be good to follow a guy thats even shorter than me!

There's a school of thoughts (some coaches) who think that team should be their players' first priority.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp8027

JOL

Acadmus 06-26-2011 07:35 AM

Sticky this for a while, then we'll take it down when training camp starts and we'll need a thread for that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.