HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Scott Mellanby signs with Atlanta (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=93467)

Safir* 07-24-2004 05:13 PM

Scott Mellanby signs with Atlanta

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/default.html

Quote:

KTRS RADIO IN ST. LOUIS REPORTED LAST NIGHT THE ATLANTA THRASHERS HAVE SIGNED FORWARD SCOTT MELLANBY TO A TWO-YEAR CONTRACT. FINANCIAL DETAILS WEREN'T RELEASED.

Spector's Note: My thanks to those of you who sent this in and to those who noted I'd mistakenly posted "Florida Panthers" earlier. There's no word on this yet on the Thrashers website so hopefully we'll have some news soon.
Huge and important signing, if true.

McDonald19 07-24-2004 05:25 PM

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=93327

2 Threads about this were already closed/deleted.

It's all from the same source still. Lets see it on the Thrashers website before anyone else starts a fourth thread about the same thing.

degroat* 07-24-2004 05:28 PM

Why have the threads been locked? Even if the mods don't think that Hadley is a reliable source, they wouldn't be locking Larry Brooks stuff.

This guy has nailed so much more stuff than Brooks...

McDonald19 07-24-2004 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stich

This guy has nailed so much more stuff than Brooks...

I think the signing probably is true but the mods want a better source to have it first.

Joe T Choker 07-24-2004 05:44 PM

*waits for nomorekids to come shut down this thread like he has so often*

JOHNBOY 07-24-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
*waits for nomorekids to come shut down this thread like he has so often*

Buffaloed 07-24-2004 05:50 PM

Hadley's not some kid with a website trying to get attention with bogus rumors. The info could be right or it could be wrong, but the thread should remain open to discuss it.

CoolburnIsGone 07-24-2004 05:54 PM

I would say this is Atlanta's version of Dave Andreychuk if true. Mells has never won a Cup and he's got no more than 2 yrs left in the tank. Playoffs next yr for Atlanta then onto the Stanley Cup like Tampa did...Scott deserves it.

Trottier 07-24-2004 06:33 PM

If the report is correct, a solid complimentary move by Atlanta. You surround talented young players like Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc, with veterans like this who remain hungry. Forget the stats, though Mellanby will contribute offensively. It's the "mid-level" moves like this that can ultimately make the difference come April between playoffs and tee time.

Worse case scenario - if ATL, for some reason, is not in the playoff hunt come March (doubtful that they won't be), Mellanby will most definitely be tradable to a contender.

degroat* 07-24-2004 08:23 PM

I'm sure this will come off as another instance of bashing a player after he's off their team, but I can assure that's not the case...

Mellanby is the type of player that Atlanta needs... one that can provide some grit and leadership to a relatively young roster. The problem is that Mellanby just doesn't have it in him anymore. Since about February or March of 2003, he hasn't been the same player. He has been a relatively opportunistic player that only puts forth the effort you'd expect from Mellanby when there's a good scoring chance in the offensive zone. He has been extremely lazy in the defensive zone and has taken more stupid penalties than you could possibly believe. Also, he's losing his legs and often times after getting knocked down onto the ice he took his jolly time getting back into play.

For Atlanta's sake, I hope that he can regain the form he once had, but I suspect that their fans will be calling for his head by midseason.

Trottier 07-25-2004 12:17 AM

Interesting insight. I watch the Blues often, but likely not as much as you. While Mellanby's offense tailed off this past season, I was not aware of his slacking in the defensive area. The penalties, at least in part, are likely in part to his inability to keep up with many opponents these days, losing his legs as you say.. (As opposed to strictly penalties of over-aggression; Mellanby has never been a shrinking violet.)

Taxman 07-25-2004 12:21 AM

This rumor has been confirmed by Waddell and the Thrashers:

The remaking of the Thrashers as a team built to compete for a playoff berth continued this weekend as general manager Don Waddell reached an agreement with free agent right wing Scott Mellanby, a seasoned eight-time 20-goal scorer.

We have reached a tentative deal," Waddell said. "We will get documents out to sign the beginning of the week. To add this type of player to our roster is another big step for us in reaching our goal, and that's reaching the playoffs."

Waddell said the contract was for two years but wouldn't specify dollars until the deal was completed. Mellanby, 38 and a former captain, has twice played on teams that have lost in the Stanley Cup finals, in 1987 with Philadelphia and 1996 with Florida, and has been on 11 playoff teams.

Mellanby's father Ralph, who was executive producer of "Hockey Night in Canada" for 18 years, has lived in Atlanta for more than a decade, although Mellanby said that didn't play a large role in his decision.

Ralph Mellanby also did some consulting with the Thrashers when Turner Sports made its expansion bid to the NHL.

"It really didn't play a factor in wanting to be there," Mellanby said. "He's been there for a long time and loves it. My mother's burial site is in Atlanta. She died a couple of years ago. He's very excited, and it's exciting for us and his three grandkids."

Adding Mellanby, a 6-foot-1, 205-pounder, is the Thrashers' third major move of the offseason after the acquisitions of experienced defensemen Jaroslav Modry and Niclas Havelid.

While Waddell had talked about the need for a No. 2 center, he said he had been disappointed by the pool of available players at that position. He also saw Mellanby as a character player.

"He's a little bit older, but he's an experienced guy," Waddell said. "You can't say anything bad about him. He has good leadership, but he's a team guy. If you look at our right side, this is a huge upgrade for us. I've said all along we would like to sign a center, but [not] just to say I signed a guy. I'd rather put resources into a guy like this."

Mellanby's signing likely will put J.P. Vigier into a part-time role on the fourth line alternating with Francis Lessard, with Dany Heatley, Ronald Petrovicky and Mellanby working on the top three lines.

The biggest downside with Mellanby is age. He played 68 games last season with St. Louis and had 14 goals and 17 assists, but as recently as two seasons ago he had 26 goals and 31 assists.

Mellanby had been pursued by the Thrashers' division rival Florida, where he played eight seasons. It was reported that Panthers GM Mike Keenan pulled an offer to Mellanby that Mellanby said he had accepted.

"It was a disappointing experience," Mellanby said. "I don't know how to describe it. It was not handled with a lot of class, in my opinion. They basically reneged on a deal. It will be fun to play against them. It was not professionally handled at all. You can't do business the way they did business with me."

http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content.../25thrash.html

cws 07-25-2004 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stich
I'm sure this will come off as another instance of bashing a player after he's off their team, but I can assure that's not the case...

Mellanby is the type of player that Atlanta needs... one that can provide some grit and leadership to a relatively young roster. The problem is that Mellanby just doesn't have it in him anymore. Since about February or March of 2003, he hasn't been the same player. He has been a relatively opportunistic player that only puts forth the effort you'd expect from Mellanby when there's a good scoring chance in the offensive zone. He has been extremely lazy in the defensive zone and has taken more stupid penalties than you could possibly believe. Also, he's losing his legs and often times after getting knocked down onto the ice he took his jolly time getting back into play.

For Atlanta's sake, I hope that he can regain the form he once had, but I suspect that their fans will be calling for his head by midseason.

Same type of thing has been said about the other two acquisitions that Atlanta has made in the offseason. Not specifically the same but it has been uttered many times that the Thrashers will be disappointed with the players they have picked up.

Nothing new under the sun. Fans giving their opinions is hardly new, and is rarely taken to heart. Like I've said before, the opinion of any fan of the game is to be taken with a grain of salt (we're all biased in one way or the other). You could very well be right, and chances are equally good that you're wrong. 50-50.

RangerBoy 07-25-2004 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Hadley's not some kid with a website trying to get attention with bogus rumors. The info could be right or it could be wrong, but the thread should remain open to discuss it.

This will probably get me in trouble but two weeks ago I posted a thread regarding the Blues re-signing Mike Sillinger by using the same source John Hadley.That thread was kept open with NO other immediate confirmation.You know what the moderator who closed my Scott Mellanby to the Thrashers said when I asked him why he closed that thread and not the Sillinger thread which Hadley as the only source for both stories,"it wasn't quite the news that mellanby signing with the thrashers".
Excuse me but when is a 38 year old signing a two year deal big news.At this stage,Sillinger is a better player than Mellanby.That's a bogus response.

Love this response... i'd be happy to re-open it. until then, it's an unsubstantiated rumor, and i can't let it sit.

It's hockey website.It's not dealing with a matter of national security

Unsubstantiated rumor?What is a substantiated rumor?Is there such a thing?

I love it when a newspaper or website such as Hadley's reports a signing,it's considered to be unsubstantiated but when TSN picks it up and slaps it on their site and names the original source in the TSN piece with no other added info from TSN,it's substantiated :help:

Evgeny Oliker 07-25-2004 01:40 AM

referring to the last 2 posts:
1. i also dont like threads being closed as if this is a life and death situation. other sites and boards talk about trade rumours cause its something fun to talk about and nothing gets closed or LOCKED.
2. i think modry and havelid have been criticized for good reason maybe. however, often a change of scenery does wonders for a player. dont forget, hartley is a coach who doesnt accept players slacking off. modry in the nice summer weather and lay back feel of LA may have slacked off, but he wont get that chance in atlanta under hartley

TVanek26* 07-25-2004 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichPanther
I would say this is Atlanta's version of Dave Andreychuk if true. Mells has never won a Cup and he's got no more than 2 yrs left in the tank. Playoffs next yr for Atlanta then onto the Stanley Cup like Tampa did...Scott deserves it.

Mellanby isn't even close to be as important as Dave Andreychuk to their clubs,and I highly doubt Atlanta makes the playoffs let alone win a cup.They were supposed to make it last year,and this year and still no playoffs.If they do end up making it,I doubt they make it past round 2.

cws 07-25-2004 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
referring to the last 2 posts:
1. i also dont like threads being closed as if this is a life and death situation. other sites and boards talk about trade rumours cause its something fun to talk about and nothing gets closed or LOCKED.
2. i think modry and havelid have been criticized for good reason maybe. however, often a change of scenery does wonders for a player. dont forget, hartley is a coach who doesnt accept players slacking off. modry in the nice summer weather and lay back feel of LA may have slacked off, but he wont get that chance in atlanta under hartley

I'm far from an authority on this board, but I believe the need for sources has more to do with credibility. Dozens of boards have rampant speculation with little or no basis, which in itself isn't bad. Provokes many debates and discussions. But that isn't what you really want with a site like HF. They do have a professional reputation and (smartly) they are trying to build on that. I have my own opinion on the voracity of sources but that's not really germane to this topic. They have set the groundwork on procedure for this site. With the likes of us always questioning and provoking new ideas, it makes the site better. Don't expect a big change, but keep them thinking.

As for the new Thrashers, I can only hope the new situation makes those two better. Hartley is a very demanding SOB and if they respond to that, the team will benefit. Health is a big concern with Atlanta, especially with their defense. Give me a fairly talented and healthy defense any day, it beats the injury problems this team has had before.

CoolburnIsGone 07-25-2004 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Mellanby isn't even close to be as important as Dave Andreychuk to their clubs,and I highly doubt Atlanta makes the playoffs let alone win a cup.They were supposed to make it last year,and this year and still no playoffs.If they do end up making it,I doubt they make it past round 2.

Yeah and that '96 Panthers team had zero business being in the Stanley Cup finals but it happened with an incident in the dressing room by Mellanby to get the ball rolling (known as the "Rat trick" = 2 goals + 1 dead rat). I'm not suggesting that Mellanby has the importance on the ice like Andreychuk does for TB. But he leads by example, makes the players around him work harder, and has a knack for scoring timely goals. Remember that Atlanta added 2 d-men this offseason in Modry & Havelid...not the best defenders but good veterans. Lehtonen looked spectacular in those 4 games to end the season (I was at his NHL debut in FL). If he can keep performing like that, he'll be a key piece in the Thrashers bid to make the playoffs. And so long as Heatley's legal troubles are solved by the beginning of the season, they'll have Dany back for a whole yr. Mellanby is probably just going to pot maybe 15 goals (probably 5 on the PP) but his locker room presence will do wonders to help that team make the playoffs.

barrytrotzsneck 07-25-2004 07:51 AM

okay, since we're all upset that i closed the thread intially...let me step in and defend myself.

as an earlier poster said, it has less to do with the harm in talking about a rumor and more about credibility. The link provided(Hadley) had a tiny blurb, and I couldn't find anything anywhere else on the web about it. It was being discussed as a done deal rather than a rumor, and I've seen too many instances in the past where things like that happened(all the Jagr to NY\Iginla to Philadelphia false alarms, last summer) and i don't think it was unreasonable to close the thread in which that activity was going on pending more information. this thread(when it isn't bashing me) is more rumor-oriented, so i don't see the harm.

hope that helps ease everyone's mind.

RangerBoy 07-25-2004 10:58 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=92378

Sticky it

btn 07-25-2004 12:07 PM

The Thrashers still need a C badly, and it appears from the AJC article quoted earlier on this thread that Waddell does not want to pay for the remaining top C's available.

It is a nice move, but not exactly a move the Thrashers needed to make.

Henkka 07-25-2004 01:27 PM

Scott Gomez would be definitely what they need.

McDonald19 07-25-2004 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn
The Thrashers still need a C badly, and it appears from the AJC article quoted earlier on this thread that Waddell does not want to pay for the remaining top C's available.

It is a nice move, but not exactly a move the Thrashers needed to make.

They should sign Nylander!

RangerBoy 07-26-2004 03:18 PM

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View...c-d95c7544b2a1

sunb 07-26-2004 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBriere48

Hold on a minute there cowboy.... Are we living in the same world here? I have no idea how anyone would've "expected" Atlanta to make the playoffs last year when New Jersey, Philly, Toronto, Ottawa, Boston pretty much had their playoff positions marked in stone and Tampa, Montreal, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Washington and Buffalo all had opportunities to take the last three spots. No way did anyone "expect" Atlanta to make the playoffs and that hope was completely shattered with Heatley's incident.

Why would you highly doubt Atlanta making the playoffs this year? Atlanta hardly made any off-seasons moves last year but this year they've acquired a solid defensive defenseman in Havelid and a formidable offensive defenseman in Modry as well as a tough veteran second-liner. I think they will do just fine and surprise a couple of teams this season. Did I also mention they are getting who many consider to be the best prospect in the world by the name of Kari Lehtonen who went 4-0 for the Thrashers last year? Oh yes, they are also getting that player by the name of Dany Heatley for the full season.