HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speculation: Nicklas Bergfors (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=934699)

mrjimmyg89 06-26-2011 03:04 AM

Nicklas Bergfors

Just saw on the main boards that Bergfors was not given a qualifying offer by Florida. He still has a lot of offensive skill and he's a young player. Does anyone think it's possible for the Rangers to give this guys a shot? He wouldn't cost too much, and if he doesn't work, you can walk away from the guy after the season OR turn it into a draft pick or another guy who might need a change of scenery.

Black Tank 06-26-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 (Post 34116053)
Just saw on the main boards that Bergfors was not given a qualifying offer by Florida. He still has a lot of offensive skill and he's a young player. Does anyone think it's possible for the Rangers to give this guys a shot? He wouldn't cost too much, and if he doesn't work, you can walk away from the guy after the season OR turn it into a draft pick or another guy who might need a change of scenery.

It would still count against the contract limit and 3 teams have now labeled him as a bust. I don't see the upside - the Devils fans vastly overrated him b/c they had nothing else in terms of prospects.

turcotte8 06-26-2011 06:07 AM

No more "just needs a change of scenery" guys please.

GAGLine 06-26-2011 06:41 AM

If he's still around later in the summer and we have space, we can sign him or offer him a camp tryout. But early in free agency we need to get the important stuff taken care of first (Richards, RFAs).

SwedishBullet62 06-26-2011 07:01 AM

More important players to take care of, enough of the change of scenery guys were not in a position that we need to take flyers on risky guys that are "change of scenery" players, new York isn't a retirement home for coulda been great players.

Vitto79 06-26-2011 08:27 AM

we have Wolski is that not enough?

BrooklynRangersFan 06-26-2011 08:29 AM

I agree that he's hardly a priority, but don't you think this has Sather reclamation project written all over it?

Especially since he's a former Devil...?

SwedishBullet62 06-26-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 34118861)
I agree that he's hardly a priority, but don't you think this has Sather reclamation project written all over it?

Especially since he's a former Devil...?

Yes, and it very much should not.

Clowes Line 06-26-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 34117467)
No more "just needs a change of scenery" guys please.

He's a Swede, not a Russian, so why not? :laugh:

Kershaw 06-26-2011 11:21 AM

Please god no he sucks.

Declan 06-26-2011 11:23 AM

No thanks.

He didn't fit in the NJD defensive system or do much in the Thrashers offensive style game. So, what does that tell you?

Pass!

Fitzy 06-26-2011 11:25 AM

Gaborik, Callahan, and Prust are our 3 locked in RWs for next year.

If we have the cash after Richards/Fedotenko signings, I would be fully for bringing him in to compete with Zuccarello, and maybe Thomas for the last spot. Nothing wrong with the roster spot going to the best available player.

Bergforce is around the same age as Zucc, would carry a lower cap hit, and his NHL production is very similar.

BrooklynRangersFan 06-26-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 34123601)
Gaborik, Callahan, and Prust are our 3 locked in RWs for next year.

If we have the cash after Richards/Fedotenko signings, I would be fully for bringing him in to compete with Zuccarello, and maybe Thomas for the last spot. Nothing wrong with the roster spot going to the best available player.

Bergforce is around the same age as Zucc, would carry a lower cap hit, and his NHL production is very similar.

Exactly. As I said in my previous post, he shouldn't be a priority, but if you can get him in on a 1 or 2 year deal for $1MM, it's all upside as far as I'm concerned.

Ola 06-26-2011 01:03 PM

I have commented on Bergfors when he belonged to another org, I wont mention any names. And it came close to being the last thing I did on these boards.

I can only say what I've been saying for years. The kid just ain't that good. He is like a Nigel Dawes with worse noose for the net and a tad better defensively. He is not fast nor do he have much top end ability. The kid works hard, but I do not think he would make it out of camp with us. Not good enough.

Inferno 06-26-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 34127965)
I have commented on Bergfors when he belonged to another org, I wont mention any names. And it came close to being the last thing I did on these boards.

I can only say what I've been saying for years. The kid just ain't that good. He is like a Nigel Dawes with worse noose for the net and a tad better defensively. He is not fast nor do he have much top end ability. The kid works hard, but I do not think he would make it out of camp with us. Not good enough.

yep, pretty much said the same thing when the devils were able to sucker the thrashers into taking him for Kovalchuk.

Punxrocknyc19* 06-26-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duskfamous (Post 34123447)
Please god no he sucks.

ehh he will be marcus nilson 2.0 whatever happened to him?? he sort of vanished.

t3hg00se 06-26-2011 01:55 PM

No, no, no, no.

No.

n8 06-26-2011 07:55 PM

pass. if he can't hack it with Florida or Atlanta, that is not a good sign.

Also Gaborik -> Callahan -> MZA - Prust -> Thomas
RW is pretty locked up for me.

RangerFan10 06-26-2011 08:19 PM

He doesn't fit. If no one offers him anything, and he'd take a 2 way deal, I'd be OK with him being in Hartford. A good call-up. I feel like if he doesn't get anything sooner than later, he'll probably head over to Europe.

NYR Sting 06-26-2011 08:49 PM

I'd definitely take a chance on him if it's a one year deal at a low salary. He's not that good, but he has some skill, and maybe if he gets the impression that this is his last chance in the NHL, it might motivate him. Playing under Tortorella and with winners like Lundqvist and Callahan might bring out the best in him.

Considering our lack of skill, I don't see why not. I'm genuinely surprised the Panthers aren't going to re-sign him. He's not so bad that they couldn't use him for another year or two.

CM Lundqvist 06-27-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 34148173)
Considering our lack of skill, I don't see why not. I'm genuinely surprised the Panthers aren't going to re-sign him. He's not so bad that they couldn't use him for another year or two.

You just answered your own question. A team that is starved for offense isn't going to resign him. That should say enough about him.

satrabyk 06-27-2011 12:39 AM

He played pretty good in NJ, i dont see why it would hurt. He has good speed/shifty, skill and scoring ability. Id rather him than W2 no question but thats not sayin much. But id Rather see Frolov resigned at 2M.

NYR Sting 06-27-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldshot (Post 34157119)
You just answered your own question. A team that is starved for offense isn't going to resign him. That should say enough about him.

Not really. More of a reflection on Dale Tallon, who I've always thought alternates between great decisions and absolutely terrible ones (see the Frolik trade).

Brendan Shanahan 06-27-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldshot (Post 34157119)

Quote:

On October 3, 2010, it was announced Grabner was placed on waivers by the Panthers, who intended to assign him to their AHL affiliate, the Rochester Americans.
Florida management has made some questionable decisions before...