HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ricky Williams retires - OT (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=93525)

blah 07-25-2004 12:42 AM

Ricky Williams retires - OT

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...9237156.htm?1c

That Feeley trade looks tremendous now. The pick's value just increased about 20 spots.

vega007 07-25-2004 02:25 AM

yeah no kidding

David Boston looks like an elephant out there

watch, Dumbervan McNabb will go down in the pre season and you'll be crying

GKJ 07-25-2004 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary D
watch, Dumbervan McNabb will go down in the pre season and you'll be crying

And since he is not on the Dolphins, has no relevance to the subject.

FlyersProspect2 07-25-2004 08:55 AM

This is great for me as a Patriots fan, just doesn't make any sense. :shakehead

JCD 07-25-2004 08:59 AM

Actually, this really hurts the value of the Feely trade.

Feely was traded for a CONDITIONAL 2nd. The condition was making the play-offs. That seems highly unlikely, so the pick ends up being a 3rd.

Still, a 3rd for Feely is a great deal.

dedalus 07-25-2004 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary D
yeah no kidding

David Boston looks like an elephant out there

Boston looks as good as always. Problem is that his excellence won't offset Miami's loss of a ground game.

You must really be grinding your teeth to have posted your comment. Bitter much regarding the Eagles' recent successes? :lol

With regard to Williams, he's 27 and is retiring because he's "lost his passion." How many cats retire this young, for that reason and stay retired?

Ten bucks says he's back within two years.

JCD 07-25-2004 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
Boston looks as good as always. Problem is that his excellence won't offset Miami's loss of a ground game.

You must really be grinding your teeth to have posted your comment. Bitter much regarding the Eagles' recent successes? :lol

With regard to Williams, he's 27 and is retiring because he's "lost his passion." How many cats retire this young, for that reason and stay retired?

Robert Smith retired at 28 and never looked back.

He is the antithesis of Williams though. Smith was also aloof and irked reporters/teammates with his attitude, but he was cocky and thought he was smarter than everyone else. To be fair, he did walk the walk. He valued intellectual pursuits more than football, even taking a year off at Ohio State to focus on his studies (he was accepted to Medical School but never went). The NFL was just a job to him, he was a 'nerd' by nature. Basically, Smith was kinda like Urkel with speed.

It may have nothing to do with Williams decision, or it could be a pivotal factor, but he tested positive for weed and potentially faces a suspension. Wouldn't be the first player to toss his career aside to get high.

Rex88 07-25-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD
Actually, this really hurts the value of the Feely trade.

Feely was traded for a CONDITIONAL 2nd. The condition was making the play-offs. That seems highly unlikely, so the pick ends up being a 3rd.

Still, a 3rd for Feely is a great deal.

JCD, I thought the condition was a new contract with the Fins??
Do you have a link for the trade/condition??
I like double ??

JCD 07-25-2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
JCD, I thought the condition was a new contract with the Fins??
Do you have a link for the trade/condition??
I like double ??

You may be right. I can't find a link saying what the conditional terms were, but did find one on the Dolphins website that said it was a 2nd.

blah was right, that makes it a total steal for the Eagles.

blah 07-25-2004 12:50 PM

I can't find anything either. March 3rd was the date it was completed I believe. Anything on the exact terms should've come out on or after that date.

-From ESPN's transactions page:
March 4, 2004 Acquired quarterback A.J. Feeley from the Philadelphia Eagles for a 2005 second-round draft pick.

Vic Rattlehead* 07-25-2004 01:18 PM

Poor Dolphins. Williams could have atleast told them at the end of last season, where the Dolphins most probably would have drafted Stephen Jackson. Instead, they miss out on signing Eddie George and Antwoin Smith and are stuck with two backup RB. Most logical choices left are Mack and Candidate, who are looking for contracts.

He shaved his dreadlocks! :eek:

FlyersHomer DM03 07-25-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus

yes, i agree

blah 07-25-2004 04:16 PM

I don't think he'll be back. He's an admitted weed smoker w/ no passion for the game of football. He's gone for good.

Vic Rattlehead* 07-25-2004 04:23 PM

he has more passion for Marijuana and Asia than he does for football.

JCD 07-25-2004 04:55 PM

I don't think he is coming back.

Look at all the other backs who have done this:
Robert Smith-
Jim Brown-
Barry Sanders-
Napolean Kaufman-

All of them gone in their prime (or slightly after for Barry), all of them begged to return, none of them came back.

Williams wants to go play out some Kung F-u fantasy wandering asia and smoking weed, why else do you think he shaved the dreads?

FlyersHomer DM03 07-25-2004 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD
I don't think he is coming back.

Look at all the other backs who have done this:
Robert Smith-
Jim Brown-
Barry Sanders-
Napolean Kaufman-

All of them gone in their prime (or slightly after for Barry), all of them begged to return, none of them came back.

Williams wants to go play out some Kung F-u fantasy wandering asia and smoking weed, why else do you think he shaved the dreads?

Napolean Kauffman, a good example, I forgot about him...went off to be a minister...which irritated me because being a minister didn't hinder reggie white's ability to play. Kauffman was a good player, its a shame

vega007 07-25-2004 08:25 PM

I'm not in Calgary. Born there, raised here in Boston.

Currently watching my BoSox kicking the crap out of the Yankees on NESN

daynus 07-25-2004 08:51 PM

All i gotta say is

I live in the Prarie region of Canada, and hockey i'm 100% flyers
a true fan. Baseball the Twins, just watched them on tv here and have family ties to the Golden Gopher State. Football Packers backer and Like the Eagles a lot. BB Pistons fan. i'm all over the map for sports.

Fantasy football leagues i have no teams with Williams on them. just didnt have him as a high priority. got all the other top 5 RB's though and guys like Davis,Dillion.

I don't think Williams will be back in the NFL.

GKJ 07-26-2004 08:05 AM

Keep this OT thread ON its topic. I had to go through and delete some posts.

For a certain someone this is #2.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 07-26-2004 09:01 AM

Ricky kicked the dolphins and their fans where it hurts....right in the running game. A suspect line wasn't enough, the fact that George and Antoine Smith had recently signed with Dallas and Tennessee very recently makes me think that Ricky and the fish had some kind of an out...possibly due to the weed issue. Anyways, if I was a Dolphin fan...ughhh, I'd be burning my Ricky jersey. He's now gonna end up costing Miami another 1st rounder. Total speculation but it's so much fun when it comes to someone as complex as Williams.

GKJ 07-26-2004 09:10 AM

How did he cost the Dolphins another 1st rounder? They already gave 2 to the Saints, no?

Bob Clarke Fan Club 07-27-2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
How did he cost the Dolphins another 1st rounder? They already gave 2 to the Saints, no?

What do you think their gonna have to give up to solidify their backfield? I can bet dollars to donuts that it won't be Jay Fiedler....Remeber the Oates deal? Miami's hand will probably be forced. I'm quite sure the Fish would rather have sunk a little money into George or Antoine Smith....of course Ricky took a week too long to make his decision. His Miami fans now pay the price. 2 picks to get him, 1 pick to replace him. Unless someone decides to bend the Dolphins over for a back. matters not to me...I'm a Colts fan anyways.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 07-27-2004 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
What do you think their gonna have to give up to solidify their backfield? I can bet dollars to donuts that it won't be Jay Fiedler....Remeber the Oates deal? Miami's hand will probably be forced. I'm quite sure the Fish would rather have sunk a little money into George or Antoine Smith....of course Ricky took a week too long to make his decision. His Miami fans now pay the price. 2 picks to get him, 1 pick to replace him. Unless someone decides to bend the Dolphins over for a back. matters not to me...I'm a Colts fan anyways.

I know I shouldn't quote myself but as an Indy fan I just became concerned. Edgerrin James is interested in going home to replace Williams. Apparently he doesn't like living in Indy. Athletes are really starting to make me sick....they can all go to hell....now I'm really ticked. Sorry no link...and it probably won't happen this year anyways. As far as I'm concerned...Indy doesn't have a Super Bowl defense, ship him for the 1st rounder and whatever else you can get for him...he'll look good getting crushed behind the Fish's line. :banghead:

Teezax 07-27-2004 11:03 AM

He's got plenty of money and weed, can you blame him for retiring?

JCD 07-27-2004 02:19 PM

I doubt the Dolphins trade a 1st to replace him. If anything, the deal Ogunleye. Might be a Barry Sanders situation where they just eat the loss for a year and worry about it next season.

As for money, I don't think Ricky is as loaded as people might think. Sure, he has more money than all of us combined, but not as much as you might think.

(got this off a Dolphin's fan site, so the numbers could be off some)

Ricky signed a terrible contract as a rookie. That is what you get when you are stoned and hire a rapper to represent you. It was a 9 mil signing bonus, but a bare minimum base salary (something laughable like 800k for his 3 seasons COMBINED in NO). It was all incentive-based and he hardly hit any (not even the voluntary ones like showing up to camps on time, being in shape). Dolphins took mercy on him and converted most of his incentives to base salary.

In total, he has made about 14 million dollars as a pro. 1.4 goes to his agent. Taxes will eat another 4.5, leaving him about 8 million.

However, since Williams has voluntarily broke his contract, the Dolphins can sue to recoup a pro-rated portion of his original signing bonus, about 3 million.

Williams has 5 million dollars, minus all the cash he has spent on drugs, cars and fines. A buttload of money to you or me, but not the piles of cash you would have expected.