HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Eklund Stamkos, Philly and Luongo Rumors (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=935613)

viper0220 06-27-2011 08:10 AM

Stamkos, Philly and Luongo Rumors

According to Eklund three big trade rumors are does Stamkos to sign in Tampa Bay? And what is Philly next move? And Luongo Rumors.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=36682

Snotbubbles 06-27-2011 08:20 AM

IMO, the cost to acquire Stamkos in a trade would be too great for Philly, sending an offersheet would cripple them long-term with prospects, and that doesn't even take into account if they could clear enough cap space to sign him.

But it is fun to imagine having a bona fide superstar.

LEIFey 06-27-2011 08:23 AM

The sad thing is that if the Flyers traded for his rights, someone would just offersheet him to something that they couldn't afford and the Flyers would have basically dumped assets for draft picks.

Zajacs Bowl Cut 06-27-2011 08:24 AM

why in God's name do people think its logical that the Flyers will sign/acquire Stamkos?

GKJ 06-27-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye (Post 34163027)
why in God's name do people think its logical that the Flyers will sign/acquire Stamkos?

It's already been a fantasy league-type offseason for the Flyers, so a boy can dream.

jmart21 06-27-2011 08:28 AM

Why the hell do people post eklund "rumours"?

Notsureifsrs.jpeg

Drouin2Stamkos 06-27-2011 08:29 AM

If I was fans of other teams wanting Stamkos, I wouldnt get my hopes up too much or let this Eklund guy get you excited. First of all Yzerman isnt stupid enough to let a player like Stamkos get away. Second Stamkos has the best chance to win a cup with Tampa than he would have with a Toronto or a Philly. So dont get your hopes up there. Third: Living in FL, No pressure on you (with Vinny, Marty), Great coach and GM, etc. Just wouldnt get your hopes up. Thats all im saying.

rainrock 06-27-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 34162681)
According to Eklund three big trade rumors are does Stamkos to sign in Tampa Bay? And what is Philly next move? And Luongo Rumors.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=36682

One of the Flyers beat writers is apparently on record as saying the Flyers will offer Stamkos 10 yr/$100 M. Pocket change for Comcast.

Shenn,Vorachek,Couturier,Simmonds are nice building blocks but the Flyers dont think that way.

If Stamkos wanted to stay in TB he wouldnt have dragged negotiatons out this long.

Something is up.

Zajacs Bowl Cut 06-27-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainrock (Post 34163201)
One of the Flyers beat writers is apparently on record as saying the Flyers will offer Stamkos 10 yr/$100 M. Pocket change for Comcast.

Shenn,Vorachek,Couturier,Simmonds are nice building blocks but the Flyers dont think that way.

If Stamkos wanted to stay in TB he wouldnt have dragged negotiatons out this long.

Something is up.

or, he is already signed and they are just waiting for the increase in cap space to announce it....?

for Philly to pay him $10 million per year they would have to clear out many more contracts. especially if they plan on re-signing JVR

EbonyRaptor 06-27-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye (Post 34163027)

I think the more illogical assumption in these Stamkos threads is that TB would even for one second entertain the idea of losing Stamkos. Regardless of the Vinny albatross contract - a team, especially an up and coming team one game away from playing for the Cup, does not let a 21 year old franchise center who is argualbly one of the 2 or 3 best goal scorers in the league get away.

rainrock 06-27-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltzBalla (Post 34163177)
If I was fans of other teams wanting Stamkos, I wouldnt get my hopes up too much or let this Eklund guy get you excited. First of all Yzerman isnt stupid enough to let a player like Stamkos get away. Second Stamkos has the best chance to win a cup with Tampa than he would have with a Toronto or a Philly. So dont get your hopes up there. Third: Living in FL, No pressure on you (with Vinny, Marty), Great coach and GM, etc. Just wouldnt get your hopes up. Thats all im saying.

Not so sure about that.

Philly according to many experts may have landed the best goalie in the NHL in Bryzgalov. They still have Giroux,Briere,JVR, Leino,Hartnell,a load of blue chip prospects Shenn,Voracek,Couturier a stacked D.

Mansfield 06-27-2011 08:36 AM

Yeah my best guess is he resigns. But who knows?

Zajacs Bowl Cut 06-27-2011 08:40 AM

what "experts" think Bryzgalov is the best goalie in the NHL, exactly?

and Voracek isnt a prospect anymore.

mja 06-27-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltzBalla (Post 34163177)

My hopes aren't up and I don't listen to anything Dwayne says.

But if the Flyers are able to offer 10 over 10, and the Lightning are only able to offer 7 or 8 over 10, that's a 20-30 million dollar difference. We're not talking chump change here. It would have nothing to do with Yzerman being stupid. The question is whether or not Tampa could follow a team down the road of a 100 million dollar offer.

Also, your point about Tampa being the best chance for Stamkos to win a cup is a dubious one. The Leafs & Flyers have deep pockets, which will always allow them to spend to the max to try to win. A little over a year ago the Flyers were an OT goal away from forcing a SCF game 7.

rainrock 06-27-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye (Post 34163461)

A week ago Rick Tocchet who coached him said he was the best goalie in the NHL. His word is golden with me.And there are others IM sure.:D

M Moulson Ale 06-27-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye (Post 34163461)

Bryzgalov isnt the best goalie in the NHL, probably not even top 5
He also has built up a mentality sort of like Nabokov and it could be dangerous for the Flyers

Ten88Nineteen 06-27-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor (Post 34163323)
I think the more illogical assumption in these Stamkos threads is that TB would even for one second entertain the idea of losing Stamkos. Regardless of the Vinny albatross contract - a team, especially an up and coming team one game away from playing for the Cup, does not let a 21 year old franchise center who is argualbly one of the 2 or 3 best goal scorers in the league get away.

This.

And I seriously doubt Stamkos would sign an offer sheet unless the Lightning really screwed up and weren't offering him anywhere near what he's worth.

Skm 06-27-2011 08:49 AM

Stevie Y is far too intelligent to not get a deal signed. Simple as that.

Top 6 Spaling 06-27-2011 08:50 AM

I read it just because it's fun to discuss. While we are bored out of our minds in the off-season, it gives us some scenarios to talk about to keep us entertained. I read it for entertainment purposes only.

rainrock 06-27-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ten88Nineteen (Post 34163669)
This.

And I seriously doubt Stamkos would sign an offer sheet unless the Lightning really screwed up and weren't offering him anywhere near what he's worth.

Really?

Nothing personal against Tampa but you are talking a bout a kid born + raised in Toronto being banished to sunsplashed anti-nhl Fla to play a sport he loves. Tampa probably draws 5,000 tv viewers a game if that.

I just dont see this Stamkos
would be crazy to leave Tampa. IMo the kid is probably
salivating at the chance to play in a major hockey market. The fact that he hasnt signed a long term contract yet speaks volumes.

The kid would be an icon in Toronto/Montreal. A media darling in NY or Phil where Comcast-NBC/Versus is HQ. In Tampa he may as well be just another beach bum for the lack of adulation and recognition he receives.

M Moulson Ale 06-27-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainrock (Post 34163827)
Really?

Nothing personal against Tampa but you are talking a bout a kid born + raised in Toronto being banished to sunsplashed anti-nhl Fla to play a sport he loves. Tampa probably draws 5,000 tv viewers a game if that.

I just dont see this Stamkos
would be crazy to leave Tampa. IMo the kid is probably
salivating at the chance to play in a major hockey market. The fact that he hasnt signed a long term contract yet speaks volumes.

Someone isnt a Leafs fan.....
:sarcasm:

Ivan13 06-27-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainrock (Post 34163595)
A week ago Rick Tocchet who coached him said he was the best goalie in the NHL. His word is golden with me.And there are others IM sure.:D

He's a goalie that was very good while playing behind a great defensive system in PXN. He isn't even in the top 5: Price, Thomas, Miller, Lundquist, Vokoun, Rinne, Kipper, Fleury, Ward are all guys i would rather have in goal than Bryz.

Follower of Yzlam 06-27-2011 08:55 AM

Ya know, with Stamkos the issue is probably over years more than money. The Lightning probably want to have one more try on him as an RFA before he is qualified for UFA, while Stamkos probably wants a longer deal. So the hold up might be more along the lines of five years over seven years, or something like that.

hatterson 06-27-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

This.

You also have to consider marketing potential.

I'm not saying this will happen by any stretch, but if you compared the earning potential for Stamkos living in Toronto (or any number of major cities that are much more crazy about hockey) to Stamkos living in Tampa it's not even close.

It may be something like "hmm, Tampa wants to give me $7.5M over 6 years. Team X is offering $8M over 6 years but my business manager tells me I can also sign an endorsement deal worth $5M/year there"

There's also tax implications to take into account. Granted they (they being basically every rich person in North America) have special stuff set up to avoid as much of that as possible, but different employment locations can still mean several hundred thousand per year in "in pocket" earnings.

Again, I'm not saying he does think like that, or any of it will happen. I'm just saying money is not as simple as comparing one NHL salary to another.

mja 06-27-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

This.

For all we know, this could be exactly what is going down. Perhaps they can't afford to go where Stamkos wants them to go, financially. We don't have any idea what's going on. All we know is that he's a few days away now from being open to accept bids from all comers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth (Post 34163757)
Stevie Y is far too intelligent to not get a deal signed. Simple as that.

But not too intelligent to let it get to the point that this is even a possibility. We're a few days away at this point.

It doesn't have to be the Leafs or the Flyers or the Panthers. It could be anybody. Any team out there that decides they REALLY want Stamkos can try to blow up the whole thing with an outlandish offer in just 4 days.

Stamkos is the highest profile player to get to this point, and plays for a franchise that might have financial difficulty matching a huge offer. At worst, you make the offer, it gets matched, and you've handcuffed the Lightning from building a cup contender for years.