HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rumor: Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=937229)

PyrettaBlaze 06-28-2011 06:22 PM

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Rules regarding rumors/sources:

If the link is censored (*****), then it obviously isn't a valid source. Don't bother posting random twitter accounts either since they'll be deleted immediately.

usernam 06-28-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan
I would not hesitate to trade 4 1st rounders for Stamkos. Not a second

Hard to say. Again, it's not in our philosophy to do so. It's fun to have a 21-year old superstar, but some people might argue that 4 1st rounders would/could make us a better, deeper team (If you think about it we could give the equivalent of Max Pac, Price, Kostitsyn and another 1st rounder). I understand the 4 picks could be Chipchura's, Fischer's, etc. But, being very confident in their scouting team, it's a risk the Habs never take.

Quote:

Originally Posted by forever alone
I think the FA crop next year is worse than this year in general. If we can get rid of Gomez's contract we should do it right now, but the results wont be immediate. We'd have to wait on Eller and Desharnais to fight it off. I'm not sure why people seem to believe that Martin has a vendetta against young players. The other option would be to sign Richards, but I wouldn't throw big money at him.

It's not a vendetta, but he hates rushing young players, Desharnais isn't ready for #2 C action IMO. Eller maybe, but I'd rather still have him on the 3rd line for another year.

Analyzer 06-28-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMo316 (Post 34255399)
Hard to say. Again, it's not in our philosophy to do so. It's fun to have a 21-year old superstar, but some people might argue that 4 1st rounders would/could make us a better, deeper team (If you think about it we could give the equivalent of Max Pac, Price, Kostitsyn and another 1st rounder). I understand the 4 picks could be Chipchura's, Fischer's, etc. But, being very confident in their scouting team, it's a risk the Habs never take.

It's not a vendetta, but he hates rushing young players, Desharnais isn't ready for #2 C action IMO. Eller maybe, but I'd rather still have him on the 3rd line for another year.

Price was 5th overall and Akost was 10th.

With Stamkos, we shouldn't finish any less than 20th.

usernam 06-28-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 34255873)
Price was 5th overall and Akost was 10th.

With Stamkos, we shouldn't finish any less than 20th.

But Pacioretty was 22nd, and PK Subban was 43rd. I don't usually overrate draft picks like most people on HF, but 4 first rounders seems a bit too much; it's not the type of deal PG would do. And what if, God forbids, Stamkos gets a serious injury?

WeThreeKings 06-28-2011 07:04 PM

Stamkos can score but he was brutal in the play-offs. Youre handcuffing yourself in terms of the first round and salary with him. I wouldn't do it.

Andy 06-28-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 34256867)
Stamkos can score but he was brutal in the play-offs. Youre handcuffing yourself in terms of the first round and salary with him. I wouldn't do it.

I would do it if we sign in the lower compensation tier (1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks), but tampa would just match it. Four 1sts is excessive.

DJ Breadman 06-28-2011 07:13 PM

I woudln't do it either, the salary could screw up your cap and you can't expect to draft many impact players with no first round pick for 4 years. People don't seem to realize it's a team game, it can be easy to shut down 1 player.

macavoy 06-28-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

The problem with acquiring Stamkos isn't the 4 picks, its the cap hit that you would have to make to get Tampa not to match it. Even if you front loaded the contract, with the new ownership, they would likely see it as an investment and match it.

schumway2 06-28-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

He was a 21 year old in his first playoffs. I think he'll get used to it. Guys that score 50 goals don't come along often. I'd give up 4 1sts any day. It's still just talk, it's almost 0% that he leaves Tampa.

Corncob 06-28-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macavoy (Post 34257525)
The problem with acquiring Stamkos isn't the 4 picks, its the cap hit that you would have to make to get Tampa not to match it.

Not to mention the cap hit you would have to make to get Stamkos to sign it in preference to other offers in the first place.

shutehinside 06-28-2011 07:26 PM

It's 4 1st AND $8m+ per for years to come. I wouldnt do that for Crosby or Ovy to be honest.

JustAHabFan 06-28-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 34258071)
It's 4 1st AND $8m+ per for years to come. I wouldnt do that for Crosby or Ovy to be honest.

For players like Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos, I would do it without any hesitation. With these type of players, you will draft low anyway. Also, our drafting sucked in the 1st round.

macavoy 06-28-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 34258071)

Tampa would snap match $8m. They'd probably even match $10 fairly quickly. You need to get above $10 for them to not match. They'll never be a cap ceiling team, so being overpaid by a couple million won't hurt them like it would most other teams.

Talent Analyst 06-28-2011 07:37 PM

For Stamkos, I'll do the maximum (12 years/ 12 millions per). Sure he will be overpaid, but it is worth it. Salary ca say hi, but we can fit him in our line up and we are definitely a contender.

Fish on The Sand 06-28-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talent Analyst (Post 34258605)
For Stamkos, I'll do the maximum (12 years/ 12 millions per). Sure he will be overpaid, but it is worth it.

That would ruin this team for 12 years.

shutehinside 06-28-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAHabFan (Post 34258325)
For players like Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos, I would do it without any hesitation. With these type of players, you will draft low anyway. Also, our drafting sucked in the 1st round.

Without a goalie like Price, you'd never have a chance at a cup anyway.

With out draft picks you run a serious risk of depleting your farm stock and running your entire organization into the ground. If the player you get gets injured a la Neely, Lindros, kariya etc then you've destroyed your team for a generation. Look what trading Roy did for us without having lost 4 1st.

Those players are tempting but not worth it IMO.

Vasculio 06-28-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 34258721)
That would ruin this team for 12 years.

So true, would be fun to sign Price and Subban after that :shakehead

shutehinside 06-28-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macavoy (Post 34258425)
Tampa would snap match $8m. They'd probably even match $10 fairly quickly. You need to get above $10 for them to not match. They'll never be a cap ceiling team, so being overpaid by a couple million won't hurt them like it would most other teams.

If they'll never be a top cap spending team then how can they afford 2 $10m players and fill out the rest of the roster with NHLers and still be comparative? They can't so they can't match a $10M offer.

macavoy 06-28-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 34259251)
If they'll never be a top cap spending team then how can they afford 2 $10m players and fill out the rest of the roster with NHLers and still be comparative? They can't so they can't match a $10M offer.

They'd find a way to dump Vinny. It wouldn't be that hard. Actually looking at his contract, if Eller doesn't start to develop, in a year or two, we should trade for him.

J Sawyer 06-28-2011 07:59 PM

Add Gomez and AK salary together and there's Stamkos....yeah, I'd offer sheet him.

shutehinside 06-28-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macavoy (Post 34259657)
They'd find a way to dump Vinny. It wouldn't be that hard. Actually looking at his contract, if Eller doesn't start to develop, in a year or two, we should trade for him.

Over $70M over 10 years for a 25 goal scorer? I'll pass.
I don't know if you're being glib about being able to trade that kind of a contract for a player as damaged and washed up as Vinny now is JUST when it's about to start.

Teufelsdreck 06-28-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMo316 (Post 34256415)
But Pacioretty was 22nd, and PK Subban was 43rd. I don't usually overrate draft picks like most people on HF, but 4 first rounders seems a bit too much; it's not the type of deal PG would do. And what if, God forbids, Stamkos gets a serious injury?

Serious injuries? They happened to Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, and dozens of other superstars. No one is immune. If you're insecure, then fill your roster with inconsequential players who can easily be replaced,

macavoy 06-28-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 34260071)
Over $70M over 10 years for a 25 goal scorer? I'll pass.
I don't know if you're being glib about being able to trade that kind of a contract for a player as damaged and washed up as Vinny now is JUST when it's about to start.

In a couple of years, it won't be $70m for a 25 goal scorer, it'll be like 7 years for like 25 million. I didn't do the math but picking up the end of his contract is value for your dollar.

shutehinside 06-28-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macavoy (Post 34260571)
In a couple of years, it won't be $70m for a 25 goal scorer, it'll be like 7 years for like 25 million. I didn't do the math but picking up the end of his contract is value for your dollar.

Do the math, it's not that attractive. Add to that his past injuries and I can't see him being attractive.

shutehinside 06-28-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macavoy (Post 34260571)

Do the math, it's not that attractive. Add to that his past injuries and I can't see him being attractive. We already can't wait to get rid of Gomez and it's only been 2 years!