HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   TSN: "Regier has been given the greenlight to splash around with the big boys" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=938151)

Chainshot 06-29-2011 06:11 PM

"Regier has been given the greenlight to splash around with the big boys"

Bob McKenzie:

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip493036

Quote:

"Buffalo looking for big additions up front and on the blueline."
Spectacularly encouraging words from McKenzie. Not a done deal, but clear acknowledgement to others what we have been hearing here right along. Buffalo is now a player.

Quote:

...Which is my way of saying, keep an eye on the Buffalo Sabres.

Historically, free-agent day has not been kind to the Sabres. That's when Buffalo watched Danny Briere and Chris Drury walk away from Western New York for far greener pastures, with the emphasis on the green.

But the Sabres have a new owner, Terry Pegula, a billionaire with deep pockets and a burning desire to make the Sabres the NHL's flagship franchise. It would not be a stretch to say Pegula has given GM Darcy Regier the green light to get into the deep end of the free agent pool and splash around with the big boys.

Five will get you ten, not to mention a beef on weck, that when Brad Richards and his agent Pat Morris open for business on Friday at the offices of Newport Sports in Mississauga, the Sabres will be front and centre with a mega-offer for this year's prized free agent. There's no guarantee Richards will sign in Buffalo, but there's every reason to believe if the Sabres get beat on Richards, or any other free agent, it won't be because they're outgunned on the dollar front.

In fact, there's no reason to doubt the Sabres will pay a premium to free agents just to prove to the hockey world that a small market U.S. team with a less than favorable winter climate can entice big-name talent to Buffalo.

The Sabres have plenty of cap room to do just about anything they set their mind to. They're looking for big additions both up front and on the blueline.

Buffalofan84 06-29-2011 06:15 PM

Do I have to be in North America to watch this video?

Havok89 06-29-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 34320427)
Bob McKenzie:

Spectacularly encouraging words from McKenzie. Not a done deal, but clear acknowledgement to others what we have been hearing here right along. Buffalo is now a player.

Should be an exciting July 1st. We all know we need a severe upgrade at center, but I wonder what kind of upgrade they'd make to defense, on top of Regehr.

drinking bleach irl 06-29-2011 06:15 PM

Same as over there :laugh:

:rolly:

BUCKSHOT 06-29-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 34320427)
Bob McKenzie:

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy if you are a Buffalo Sabres fan !!

Zip15 06-29-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

"There's every reason to believe that if the Sabres get beat on Richards, or any other free agent, it won't be because they're outgunned on the dollars front." -Bob McKenzie
Man, when did anyone think that would ever be said about the Buffalo Sabres. Times have changed, for the better. This is why I won't blame anyone if Richards picks another organization. I know Pegula and Regier will do as much as they can, but, ultimately, it's the player's choice.

Chainshot 06-29-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 34321519)
Man, when did anyone think that would ever be said about the Buffalo Sabres. Times have changed, for the better. This is why I won't blame anyone if Richards picks another organization. I know Pegula and Regier will do as much as they can, but, ultimately, it's the player's choice.

Pffft. What does this Bob guy know. SeanLinden told us all this is just talk.

:sarcasm:

sabresfan129103 06-29-2011 06:42 PM

I just hope they don't do something dumb. I'd be willing to go as high as 7.5 per for a long term deal. 8 million on a long term deal might make my stomach turn.

vcv 06-29-2011 06:43 PM

So... I think acquiring the rights to Christian Ehroff counts.

Buffaloed 06-29-2011 07:16 PM

I'm having feelings of resentment towards Tom Golisano. He had the resources and a wide open window of opportunity to win a cup. Instead of driving through it, he put the brakes on.

Sabretip 06-29-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalofan84 (Post 34320645)
Do I have to be in North America to watch this video?

Here's his written transcript of the same story

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=370390

Sabretip 06-29-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed (Post 34324247)
I'm having feelings of resentment towards Tom Golisano. He had the resources and a wide open window of opportunity to win a cup. Instead of driving through it, he put the brakes on.

Big difference between an owner that takes over a team with admission he knows nothing about hockey, and an owner that takes over a team and cries at the mere sight of a former hockey player.

;)

Sabretip 06-29-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 34321519)

The quote right before it is more exciting:

Quote:

Five will get you ten, not to mention a beef on weck, that when Brad Richards and his agent Pat Morris open for business on Friday at the offices of Newport Sports in Mississauga, the Sabres will be front and centre with a mega-offer for this year's prized free agent
:hyper:

Sabretip 06-29-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT (Post 34321465)
Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy if you are a Buffalo Sabres fan !!

After all we've suffered through in the past - "No Goal", 7-1-07, Defense Decimation in '06 ECF, etc. - I think it's about time fate dealt Sabres' fans some gold at the end of the rainbow.....

Rhett4 06-29-2011 07:23 PM

How much is Regier loving this? He went from being told "no" to a black check. That has to be so liberating, and as much as he tries to say nice things about previous ownership, you know he thinks of them as penny-pinching ********.

"Hey, Larry, can I offer Lydman three years? He was really good this year."
"THREE YEARS?!"
"Sorry I asked."

vs.

"Hey, Terry, can I offer Brad Richards 4 years?"
"FOUR YEARS?! Double it!"
"Oh, thanks."

Afino 06-29-2011 07:26 PM

Just so....awesome.

Just to at least TRY! :)

Mr Orangeshirt 06-29-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

"Regier has been given the greenlight to splash around with the big boys"
Gee, I wonder when he'll start:sarcasm:

YoGman 06-29-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I have nothing but disgust towards Quinn and Golisano. We had a very qualified GM all those years. Who knows what would of happened beginning in 2006?

I'm happy for Reiger..a validation.

Dubi Doo 06-29-2011 07:32 PM

Where did all the Regier haters go?

Rhett4 06-29-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubi Doo (Post 34325125)

I think even the most ardent Regier hater used to say, "Ugh, we hate Regier...but still, it might just be Larry and Tom's fault."

omglolnub 06-29-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett4 (Post 34325215)
I think even the most ardent Regier hater used to say, "Ugh, we hate Regier...but still, it might just be Larry and Tom's fault."

I'll admit to my venomous opinion of Regier in the past. I'll also fully admit that I may be wrong and if [stuff] goes crazy awesome on Friday, then I may just have to cut myself a big slice of fresh-out-of-the-oven humble pie, say how wrong and sorry I am, and kindly ess-tee-eff-you. After asking to have a scoop of vanilla ice cream with that slice of humble pie.

jlr 06-29-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

You're definitely not the only one.

puckish66 06-29-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubi Doo (Post 34325125)

And the Academy Award for Premature Gloating goes tooooo....

Dubi Doo 06-29-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckish66 (Post 34326097)
And the Academy Award for Premature Gloating goes tooooo....

Oh Puh leassseeee...

Where the haters at? For realz, tho?=P

Buffaloed 06-29-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 34324431)
Big difference between an owner that takes over a team with admission he knows nothing about hockey, and an owner that takes over a team and cries at the mere sight of a former hockey player.

;)

Another big difference is Ted Black knows little about hockey and knows he knows little about hockey as a opposed to Larry Quinn who knew little about hockey and thought he knew everything about hockey.