HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Inquiry --- formal structure of NHL contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=938745)

bernmeister 06-30-2011 10:01 AM

Inquiry --- formal structure of NHL contract

A typical sports contract runs through a "season".
In some cases, in some sports, players may sign a "tryout" contract.

I am curious to know whether or not it is expressly forbidden by the CBA or otherwise that, matter of custom aside, if NHL contracts can be for either X number of days or X number of games.

And if so, can a contract, preferably by team's option, be extended (repeatedly);
OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE
be the basis for a successor contract to kick in at team's option, one where you can not only be paid a base (equal to pro-rata share of what minimum would be per "season"), but also bonuses based on performance, and availability (play the first such contract, 10 games, no availability bonus; second such contract, available for games 11-20, all of that successor contract, plus a bonus on what you did just being available in games 1 -10).

Ok, where am I going with this?
Let's assume all the above is technically legal.

Instead of signing Thomas Fleischman to 2-3 years for $8.5-10m, can we give him an otherwise bonafide contract for X number of games to be played (or for a month to month basis)?

This would allow him, if earns all bonuses, to average equivalent of $4ish m per year which he will have earned, best case scenario,
but it also
allows Rangers to minimize paying him for games he is not healthy.
If he doesn't cut it, but somehow doesn't technically qualify for Long Term Injury Relief (Release? Removal), we're not screwed eating his cap.
It also provides flexibility if his body needs to fine tune to medication, so one time/stretch of games he is available, next two he is not, next three he is, etc...

Thoughts...

I anticipate the real world encroaching on my time through 4th of July.
Will extend courtesy of reply at first chance next week if not available before.

TrollololBoyle 06-30-2011 10:19 AM

Contracts are seasonal, but paid by the number of days. You can find all this in the CBA

GAGLine 06-30-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bernmeister (Post 34352001)
Instead of signing Thomas Fleischman to 2-3 years for $8.5-10m, can we give him an otherwise bonafide contract for X number of games to be played (or for a month to month basis)?

Pretty sure that's not allowed and I'm sure the player would never agree to it if it was.

I think there have been cases where teams have "signed" a player for 1 day, but these are emergency type cases and different types of contracts, I believe. I'll see if I can dig anything up in the CBA about it.

bernmeister 06-30-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 34355383)
Pretty sure that's not allowed and I'm sure the player would never agree to it if it was.

I think there have been cases where teams have "signed" a player for 1 day, but these are emergency type cases and different types of contracts, I believe. I'll see if I can dig anything up in the CBA about it.

Thanks very much.
I'm not sure it qualifies as emergency, but I believe the medical nature of Fleischman would be rational basis for this type of exception, if it is still technically within rules.

Tawnos 06-30-2011 11:12 AM

In order to have a player on your roster, he must be signed to an SPC (standard player contract) which can only be based on a players salary for the full seasons of the contract.

Extensions of any kind are not permitted in the CBA, either by player or team option or through negotiation. When you see reports of a player signing an "extension" what that actually means is a whole new contract that kicks in immediately upon the expiration of the current one.

There are also specific guidelines on who you are allowed to pay bonuses. They are only allowed for ELCs, players over 35 and players with over 400-games who were on the injured reserve list for 100 days the year before and sign a 1-year deal. Fleischmann does not meet any of these requirements.

In other words, to your question: no.

Hockey Team 06-30-2011 11:12 AM

If you're signing a player to play the full season you can't do that.

In Fleischmann's case, you can't sign him to play X games / month. It just doesn't work that way. In his case, a team might give him say, 1 year 1 million, maybe with a bonus if he plays X # of games in the season to see if he's capable of competing again.

GAGLine 06-30-2011 11:22 AM

The Standard Player Contract specifically indicates the number of years that the contract covers:

Quote:

1. The Club hereby employs the Player as a skilled hockey Player for the term of __ League Year(s) commencing the later of July 1, 20__ or upon execution of this SPC and agrees, subject to the terms and conditions hereof, to pay the Player a salary of ________________ Dollars ($__________).
During the season, a player can sign an Amateur Try-out Agreement. This agreement only lasts for 1 day:

Quote:

In consideration of the opportunity to play in the NHL, the player agrees to present himself, upon request of the Club to perform services as a player on [DATE] at [LOCATION].

This agreement shall be valid for a term of one (1) day, and a Club shall only be permitted to enter into such an agreement when under emergency conditions. Under this agreement, the player shall receive no salary, bonus (of any kind) or any other form of compensation.

Tawnos 06-30-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 34356985)
The Standard Player Contract specifically indicates the number of years that the contract covers:

Right. And in case you're curious, the term "League Year(s)" is specifically defined in the CBA.