HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   *OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2011-12 Season Thread (Pt.2) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=938929)

Blind Gardien 06-30-2011 12:41 PM

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2011-12 Season Thread (Pt.2)

Continued from...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=908998

cfaub 06-30-2011 02:58 PM

As for the U17s, that would be quite a coup for the city. Lots of exposure in the various hockey circles and possibly a shot at the U18s a couple of years down the road would be nice as well.

As for the Riverside tourney and the MM tourney as well that has been taking place the last few seasons it would be nice to see them tie both of those tourneys into it with some extra international representation at those two tourneys from the countries involved with the U17s.

As for facilities, the main bowl and community rinks at the WFCU centre, the Tecumseh arena, the new Essex arena, the Volmer Complex are all within a reasonable distance as well as twin pads at Forest Glade and South Windsor arenas that could be put into use if needed. Enough facilities available to accomadate the U17s as well as the Riverside and MM tourneys that are currently taking place.

ForestGlade 06-30-2011 10:01 PM

U-17's would be sweet, but likely overpriced

LeafsFan18 07-01-2011 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfaub (Post 34371801)
As for the U17s, that would be quite a coup for the city. Lots of exposure in the various hockey circles and possibly a shot at the U18s a couple of years down the road would be nice as well.

As for the Riverside tourney and the MM tourney as well that has been taking place the last few seasons it would be nice to see them tie both of those tourneys into it with some extra international representation at those two tourneys from the countries involved with the U17s.

As for facilities, the main bowl and community rinks at the WFCU centre, the Tecumseh arena, the new Essex arena, the Volmer Complex are all within a reasonable distance as well as twin pads at Forest Glade and South Windsor arenas that could be put into use if needed. Enough facilities available to accomadate the U17s as well as the Riverside and MM tourneys that are currently taking place.

The crown jewel would be the U-20. Have it between Windsor and Detroit. Maybe in the next 5 years or so there could be something worked out where teams could cross the border over the 2 weeks.

dereksutton9 07-02-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpitsFan18 (Post 34409969)
The crown jewel would be the U-20. Have it between Windsor and Detroit. Maybe in the next 5 years or so there could be something worked out where teams could cross the border over the 2 weeks.

With USNTDP just a border crossing and 45 min ride away, in many ways I'm surprised there hasn't been a push for a joint bid. But then again I guess its more the rivalry between the CHL and USNTDP/NCAA then anything preventing that.

Since Plymouth could probably never leverage the natural assets it has to support a U-20 bid, like the Wings and Ann Arbor, the more likely partner for Windsor would be London. Windsor and London are closer in distance than Edmonton and Calgary. I'd think JLC would be big enough to support the gold medal game as well although it seems like an NHL rink is the desire now.

Nice work on the second thread already. I'm going to guess eleven parts to cover the season.

cfaub 07-02-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dereksutton9 (Post 34528885)
With USNTDP just a border crossing and 45 min ride away, in many ways I'm surprised there hasn't been a push for a joint bid. But then again I guess its more the rivalry between the CHL and USNTDP/NCAA then anything preventing that.

Since Plymouth could probably never leverage the natural assets it has to support a U-20 bid, like the Wings and Ann Arbor, the more likely partner for Windsor would be London. Windsor and London are closer in distance than Edmonton and Calgary. I'd think JLC would be big enough to support the gold medal game as well although it seems like an NHL rink is the desire now.

Nice work on the second thread already. I'm going to guess eleven parts to cover the season.

I believe Windsor and London looked at this a year or two ago and pulled out of the bidding process at some point. As for Windsor/Detroit I believe there was an issue with it being two separate countries sharing the bid. I would like to see an U20 bid by Windsor/Detroit down the road but I believe there are obstacles within the IIHF to overcome due to the two separate nation situation first.

U17 would be a nice start though and anything else would have to be built on any success from that event.

playthetrap* 07-02-2011 11:25 AM

With Windsor and London having buildings under 10000, they're not getting the WJC. The only possible destination for another OHL team to get this would be Kitchener if they ever decide to replace the Aud with a 15000 seat building.

U17 was in London in 2008. Very good crowds and it was enjoyable.

ForestGlade 07-02-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfaub (Post 34530567)
I believe Windsor and London looked at this a year or two ago and pulled out of the bidding process at some point. As for Windsor/Detroit I believe there was an issue with it being two separate countries sharing the bid. I would like to see an U20 bid by Windsor/Detroit down the road but I believe there are obstacles within the IIHF to overcome due to the two separate nation situation first.

U17 would be a nice start though and anything else would have to be built on any success from that event.

See, that confuses me. It's not like hosting the tournament gives a team an unjust automatic entry into the tournament (like hosting a FIFA/UEFA tournament does in soccer), nor do the World Juniors ever get held in a country outside The Big Eight (excluding Switzerland '97, every U20 has been held in Canada/USA/Czechoslovakia/Russia/Sweden/Finland/Germany)

Further that, the 1982 tournament was held in both Minnesota and Manitoba, so there is some precedent. Add in the fantastic partnership between Hockey Canada and USA Hockey, and I really don't see the problem. Maybe they think The Joe is a dump (it is), or maybe they're worried about getting teams across the border.

hockeylegend11 07-05-2011 07:57 PM

nice to see jeff brown and craig duinink get nhl dev camp invites

also found out that saverio posa got invited to la kings dev camp with brown

Bruinsfan63 07-06-2011 10:04 AM

Being a bruins fan im curious about Khokhlachev ive heard several different things about this kid.... Can anyone shed some light on him that has watched him play? That would be greatly appreciated

Ottomatic 07-06-2011 10:33 AM

Wings expect to hire their assistant coaches by the end of the week. Here's what seems to be the criteria -
Quote:

“Think young, hungry guys, aggressive guys that want to be (like) Mike Babcock four years from now,” said one person familiar with the search.
Does that sound like somebody we know?

johnnydrum 07-06-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruinsfan63 (Post 34723535)
Being a bruins fan im curious about Khokhlachev ive heard several different things about this kid.... Can anyone shed some light on him that has watched him play? That would be greatly appreciated

Hello mate! Welcome.
A similar posting was made a few weeks ago, but had been on the old thread, however, because I love chatting about the Russians, I skipped back over and pasted them..

Hi B`s fan.
Greetings from England.
So jealous that your team were able to draft Khokhlachev!
I have been following him during the season, and recentley a very kind fan sent me some full games of him, so heres my report on number 89.
"Koko" is a bundle of energy, yet simpley doesn't get the applause he deserves, trailing only the super (and 2012 eligable) Nail Yakupov in the OHL rookie charts, with 39 goals.
He also lead the OHL in rookie playoff scoring also.
He has great tools: a big shot, is elusive, like most top Russians, but with some real hustle too... he will crash the net, and really likes to be in the mix.
Looks to have that exhuberance and zest, ala Ovechkin, and looks patient and "game" when it comes to hanging around the crease for those "garbage goals".

One of the games sent to me was his 4 goal game in Kitchener, and he looked like a Star, scoring pretty much every way..(a deflection, one in close, one from a lazer snapper and a slap shot bomb!)
I thought way too much was made about the "Russian factor" and his "size".
He does get knocked over---but then hes straight back up..lol
The kid looks fab, and a great bit of scouting by your staff.
And, he s the youngest in the draft, so theres room for natural growth: If he gets to 6`0 and 190/200 at 21, well....you have a "corker"!

Just my own thoughts...these guys know him better than I....

DrekSutton pointed out this link:
The Namestinkov vs Koko thread. Not bad scouting comments by fan on the Spits' Russian.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=885255

and OHLTG:
"Koko" is going to be a talent.
Not the biggest forward, at about 5'11 175, but he's shifty, has great vision, and a solid shot.
He played on a line with Zack Kassian early and dominated.
He's not the most physical player you'll see, but if you get on his bad side enough, he'll push back and won't back down.
At least once this season (twice unconfirmed) he dropped the gloves and had a bit of a tussle.
Great speed on him, can find the open man with few issues. Will back-check pretty well and knows his way around his own zone.
One thing people here really like about him is he's very outgoing.
He did a commercial with Kassian, for Subway Restaurants, which was aired on the jumbo-tron.
Really, really funny. I'll post it later if I can find it.
This season should be a treat for us, and now Boston fans, as we see him grow now that he's a full year into NA hockey.

SpItFiReZ 07-07-2011 10:54 AM

Good article on Campbell in the paper today. He will be back next year for sure.

Best part was reading Campbell realizing the need to slow down his movements and overreacting. I think after having a year to play, this year he should be much different, albeit from a different uniform near the end I assume.

Ottomatic 07-07-2011 04:00 PM

Looks like it won't be Boughner -

Quote:

per Dreger
Red Wings will announce their asst coaches on Friday. "Off the map," is how a source describes the additions.
Mlive had reported that Western Michigan University Jeff Blashill was a finalist for one of the spots - he would be "off the map" given he had only one year at WMU before coaching in the USHL for two seasons with the Indiana Ice.

Gibbs18 07-07-2011 04:04 PM

Does John Bowen play for Windsor next season??

OHLTG 07-07-2011 04:22 PM

I really, really hope so.

Gibbs18 07-07-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLTG (Post 34784401)
I really, really hope so.

Lol is he really good?? I go to high school with him :laugh:

Ottomatic 07-07-2011 06:15 PM

Not really good. He'd be a third pairing type, but he's a fighter/sand paper type.

Libbs 07-07-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ottomatic (Post 34788883)
Not really good. He'd be a third pairing type, but he's a fighter/sand paper type.

I think it's too early to say that. He's definitely a shutdown/fighter (like Young)...but he may just be really good at that role. He probably won't score bunches but we definitely need this kind of player as it was what we really missed last year.

OHLTG 07-07-2011 07:32 PM

That's exactly my point. Bowen reminds me a lot of Young - big, nasty, stay-at-home D - and we need that. I really hope him and Bilcke make it cause we need those types on the team. He's not going to be a major point producer or a first overall NHL pick, but he's going to bring that grit and aggression any successful team needs.

RayzorIsDull 07-07-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libbs (Post 34790145)
I think it's too early to say that. He's definitely a shutdown/fighter (like Young)...but he may just be really good at that role. He probably won't score bunches but we definitely need this kind of player as it was what we really missed last year.

I don't think there's any room for Bowen to be honest with you.

Duininck
Webermin
Ebert
Robertson
Posa
Deeley already signed

I imagine Bowen will have the opportunity to compete for that 7th spot but I can't see him getting that spot because if he does have that 7th spot and doesn't play much at all you can't loan him to Jr B he has to go back to the states.

Gibbs18 07-07-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLTG (Post 34791635)
That's exactly my point. Bowen reminds me a lot of Young - big, nasty, stay-at-home D - and we need that. I really hope him and Bilcke make it cause we need those types on the team. He's not going to be a major point producer or a first overall NHL pick, but he's going to bring that grit and aggression any successful team needs.

Yea he told he played defense. He also played lax for my HS. He is a huge dude. Hes tall and somewhat built. Every team needs grit and a heavy hitter, and he is probably the one to do it. Heres his FB if anyone wants to add him :P

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000104540912

Tigers1992 07-07-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull (Post 34793153)

Duininck
Webermin
Ebert
Robertson
Posa
Deeley already signed

I imagine Bowen will have the opportunity to compete for that 7th spot but I can't see him getting that spot because if he does have that 7th spot and doesn't play much at all you can't loan him to Jr B he has to go back to the states.

Now that he has completed his U16 commitments there should be no issues with playing in the GOJBL.

That rule is for 16 and under players.

Libbs 07-07-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull (Post 34793153)

Duininck
Webermin
Ebert
Robertson
Posa
Deeley already signed

No doubt our defense is pretty crowded right now. I guess we'll have to see what training camp brings. We could really use the nasty though.

Libbs 07-07-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigers1992 (Post 34794607)
Now that he has completed his U16 commitments there should be no issues with playing in the GOJBL.

That rule is for 16 and under players.

Maybe you can explain this is more detail as we've all been rather confused as to the rules regarding American born players playing Jr. B. Like how Deeley was able to play Jr. B after being signed but someone like Barber or Bowen had to either play OHL or not be signed to an OHL so they could play somewhere else.