HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Shin Pad Recommendations (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=940955)

Fowler 07-02-2011 12:01 AM

Shin Pad Recommendations
 
I'm looking for some really good shin pads, with extra beefy knee protection. I got some new Warrior Hitman's last season, and they failed me which resulted in a brutal knee injury. I don't trust them anymore (as stupid as that may sound), so I'm looking for some recommendations on what I should try and get.

hyster110 07-02-2011 01:59 AM

and what kind of knee injury did you have?

Fowler 07-02-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robi88 (Post 34514493)
and what kind of knee injury did you have?

Knee cap cracked in 5 places, and meniscus tear.

Axman 07-02-2011 07:12 AM

Wow, how did that happen if you don't mind me asking?

I'm also in the market for a new set; the ones I have are cheap. I don't want to take a heavy slapper off the shin or knee and get hurt...

AIREAYE 07-02-2011 08:55 AM

There could be a multitude of factors which could have resulted in your injury.

- Perhaps the pad did not fit correctly (so that the centre of your knee cap wasnt in the knee donut of the pad)

- Pads came loose in-game (shifting, resulting in possibly a gap between the pad and your knee cap)

- If the nature of the impact was severe enough, no pad could protect you from that, just like no helmet can fully protect you from concussions, you see NHL players get injured from knee-on-knees too.

I'd say consider all factors form your injury, as you should be more concerned about that at the moment.

However from a reputation standpoint, the older RBK pads/Jofa (not the new KFS stuff), old CCM Tacks line (I have 652's, absolute tanks) and perhaps any top-of-the-line pad should offer better protection specs-wise than your Hitmans.

ATLhockey437 07-02-2011 10:55 AM

RBK/Jofa shin pads always get solid reviews. Alot of my friends use them and they look like they offer a lot of good protection. You can find some on ebay for prostock versions of them.

bp spec 07-02-2011 11:31 AM

Rebook or Bauer depending on how wide you want your pads to be. Rebook is wider and more "beef". If you go with Bauer, make sure you go with Supreme.

Darrelle Lundqvist 07-02-2011 11:35 AM

You really can't go wrong with either Reebok or Bauer. However I would stay away from the Bauer Vapor series. They seem to run thin and can crack.

OOOOIIIO 07-02-2011 12:08 PM

What do people think about warrior gear? I was looking at picking up their new Bonafide line.

trtaylor 07-02-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 34519839)
However from a reputation standpoint, the older RBK pads/Jofa (not the new KFS stuff), old CCM Tacks line (I have 652's, absolute tanks) and perhaps any top-of-the-line pad should offer better protection specs-wise than your Hitmans.

The way Reebok has changed (several times it seems) their shin pads over the last several years sure makes it confusing for the consumer. I used to have a pair of the older Fit Lite series shins. They were a stout pad. The only thing I didn't like about them was the way the pads that touched your shin bone were suspended by some thin strapping. It was great idea, but I took some hard falls and the thin strapping broke on the uppermost pad in both shins.

I recently updated to the KFS series and you can tell as soon as you pick them up they are not the pad the Fit Lites were. They are lighter and more narrow than the Fit Lites were. However, for beer league, I think they are a more suitable pad. I have taken some hard falls and blocked some shots and they have done the job, too. I have the KFS 7K, and as others have noted, the strapping sucks. The Fit Lites had a full calf wrap and bullet proof strapping system.

I'm ok with the KFS pads, but AIREAYE is correct in pointing out the current Reebok shins are not the same pad as what they used to be.

datsyukianLIKE 07-02-2011 10:35 PM

i have the u+ 08s ccm i love them great shins

Fowler 07-02-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axman (Post 34518501)
Wow, how did that happen if you don't mind me asking?

I'm also in the market for a new set; the ones I have are cheap. I don't want to take a heavy slapper off the shin or knee and get hurt...

I knee dropped, and the shin pad straps had somehow ripped earlier. So I knee dropped on ice with just my sock between my knee and ice. Trust me it doesn't sound realistic but it actually happened, and it was a bad game for my Warrior gear, my shoulder pad ripped too. Expensive game.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 34519839)
There could be a multitude of factors which could have resulted in your injury.

- Perhaps the pad did not fit correctly (so that the centre of your knee cap wasnt in the knee donut of the pad)

- Pads came loose in-game (shifting, resulting in possibly a gap between the pad and your knee cap)

- If the nature of the impact was severe enough, no pad could protect you from that, just like no helmet can fully protect you from concussions, you see NHL players get injured from knee-on-knees too.

I'd say consider all factors form your injury, as you should be more concerned about that at the moment.

However from a reputation standpoint, the older RBK pads/Jofa (not the new KFS stuff), old CCM Tacks line (I have 652's, absolute tanks) and perhaps any top-of-the-line pad should offer better protection specs-wise than your Hitmans.

It wasn't #1 or #3, but quite like #2, basically the one on the back of the calf ripped, and I kneedropped right on the sweetspot to cause the pad to turn on my leg and boom knee on the ice. It's just one of those one of a million things, and probably would never happen again but yeah...

AIREAYE 07-03-2011 09:45 AM

Ouch, I can almost imagine that...it must've hurt like hell :(

So it seems pretty obvious that your problem here would be the strapping system and the fact that they came loose during play. It's very hard to judge and compare top/mid line shins in-store because they would all 'fit' ; the only way to tell if they cna shift or not is during play.

However from what I've seen, the TotalOne shins have a great/elaborate strapping system which is enhanced by the liner wrap :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9Rj...el_video_title

The Tikkanen 07-03-2011 03:26 PM

I use the Easton S19 shin pads but I've been using Easton shins for year so I stick to what works for me.

TCDaniels 07-03-2011 11:13 PM

About 8 or 9 yrs ago ('03, I believe) - I bought a pair of Bauer Supreme 5000 Gel shin pads...

I know they don't make those anymore, but if you find out what the comperable replacement is, I'd reccommend them.

We recently dropped down to the "B" division of our Men's league (I know - we're getting old), but prior to that, I was playing in a pretty high-caliber league (former AHL'ers, D-1 players, etc...) - and I play defense and block a ton of shots (to the point where the guys on my team mock me about it)...

Never had any issues at all with them: no cracks, nothing - still have 'em, still love 'em.

AIREAYE 07-03-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCDaniels (Post 34616629)
About 8 or 9 yrs ago ('03, I believe) - I bought a pair of Bauer Supreme 5000 Gel shin pads...

I know they don't make those anymore, but if you find out what the comperable replacement is, I'd reccommend them.

We recently dropped down to the "B" division of our Men's league (I know - we're getting old), but prior to that, I was playing in a pretty high-caliber league (former AHL'ers, D-1 players, etc...) - and I play defense and block a ton of shots (to the point where the guys on my team mock me about it)...

Never had any issues at all with them: no cracks, nothing - still have 'em, still love 'em.

With pads that old, there won't be any modern equivalent; unless you guys prowl around a few Play it Agains

Fowler 07-04-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 34582187)
Ouch, I can almost imagine that...it must've hurt like hell :(

So it seems pretty obvious that your problem here would be the strapping system and the fact that they came loose during play. It's very hard to judge and compare top/mid line shins in-store because they would all 'fit' ; the only way to tell if they cna shift or not is during play.

However from what I've seen, the TotalOne shins have a great/elaborate strapping system which is enhanced by the liner wrap :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9Rj...el_video_title

It sure didn't feel nice at the beginning, my knee swell to three times its normal size. They misdiagnosed it, so I was working and doing stuff I shouldn't have for four months, so I had surgery last month and now just starting to heal. It's been pretty sore lately, but that's probably due to the physio and healing.

I e-mailed a big hockey store in Vancouver, and asked them about the RBK 11k's, they seem to be really good and I'll hear back from them tomorrow morning.

Logie 07-04-2011 04:33 AM

I'm using CCM Vector 06 Shins, still like new dispite some big falls, big hits and blocking shots. Holding up well considering im 6'5 230lbs

stevenest 07-04-2011 07:21 AM

I have used jofa shin pads myself and i find them very useful.

RandV 07-04-2011 11:27 AM

It's been a while since I looked at shin pads but my RBK 5K's are holding out real nice for me, or if you have the money to spend I think the 9K's are the high end ones. As a bonus they offer decent protection for the back of the league as well, I'm not quite a beginner anymore but that was important at the time after I took a puck off the back of the leg with my first cheap pair. RBK seems to have two different styles, the 3K/7K that are a smaller more standard style, and the 5K/9K that have the big protective strap that wraps around your leg like this:

http://www.sportstraders.ca/images/H...pads/rbk9k.gif

Pajicz 07-04-2011 12:39 PM

Many guys seem to complain about the Vapor series. I've had Vapor XXV shin guards for couple years now and there's never been any problem with them. Don't know if it's about the newer models.

AIREAYE 07-04-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 34633077)
It's been a while since I looked at shin pads but my RBK 5K's are holding out real nice for me, or if you have the money to spend I think the 9K's are the high end ones. As a bonus they offer decent protection for the back of the league as well, I'm not quite a beginner anymore but that was important at the time after I took a puck off the back of the leg with my first cheap pair. RBK seems to have two different styles, the 3K/7K that are a smaller more standard style, and the 5K/9K that have the big protective strap that wraps around your leg like this:

http://www.sportstraders.ca/images/H...pads/rbk9k.gif

hmm? Are you sure you're talking about the same year's Reebok shins? Reebok has the older Fitlite line, last year's KFS line and this year's KFS line (slightly tweaked from last year)

RandV 07-05-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 34638503)
hmm? Are you sure you're talking about the same year's Reebok shins? Reebok has the older Fitlite line, last year's KFS line and this year's KFS line (slightly tweaked from last year)

Yeah I'm going by what I remember when I bought, so I'm probably out of date by 2-3 years.

Sigge 07-06-2011 08:19 AM

While on the topic, has anyone here tried/got anything to say about the Bauer Supreme one80 shin pads?

AIREAYE 07-06-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigge (Post 34719159)
While on the topic, has anyone here tried/got anything to say about the Bauer Supreme one80 shin pads?

Toned down T1, if you aren't playing high-level contact hockey, the One80s will do the job fine


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.