HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   RLR on Rangers' draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=94213)

NYR469 07-28-2004 10:27 AM

RLR on Rangers' draft
 
this is from the rangers official site in their preview for tonight's inside/out show on msg

Quote:

"From top to bottom, this may have been the most solid draft class of any team," noted the Independent Scouting Service Red Line Report. "They had 10 picks in the first five rounds, and for Red Line Report's money, every one of them could wind up helping this organization, either at the NHL level or as quality depth in the system."
:banana: :banana:

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-28-2004 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
this is from the rangers official site in their preview for tonight's inside/out show on msg



:banana: :banana:


I think Jordin Foote can be a Kirk Maltby type. I like his game. And Dubinsky can be a Darcy Tucker.

Barnaby 07-28-2004 01:03 PM

Dubinksy sounds like he could be a cool player, but I'm more interested in Montoya and Lauri K at this point.

I still don't like the Byers pick very much..

Bird Law 07-28-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I think Jordin Foote can be a Kirk Maltby type. I like his game. And Dubinsky can be a Darcy Tucker.

I agree completely here.

Foote, if he can find more offensive game, might be more like a Draper since he's so fast out there. He'll be one of the fastest players in the NHL if he makes it.

Barnaby 07-28-2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
I agree completely here.

Foote, if he can find more offensive game, might be more like a Draper since he's so fast out there. He'll be one of the fastest players in the NHL if he makes it.

He sounds interesting... I'm surprised he dropped so low.

Bird Law 07-28-2004 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
He sounds interesting... I'm surprised he dropped so low.

The reason is he doesn't have that great of an offensive instinct and he's going to college for the 2005-2006 season I believe. So it'll be a long wait for him as well.

But he is one fo the fastest skaters in the draft and has some of the most heart also. He always is the guy to go down first to block a shot and gives 110% every shift.

Great, great kid to have in the organization.

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-28-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
I agree completely here.

Foote, if he can find more offensive game, might be more like a Draper since he's so fast out there. He'll be one of the fastest players in the NHL if he makes it.


Dubinsky is small but he had more points than first round pick Andrew Ladd. I feel Dubinsky will be the Rangers best steals in years.

Bird Law 07-28-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Dubinsky is small but he had more points than first round pick Andrew Ladd. I feel Dubinsky will be the Rangers best steals in years.

Well, he doesn't really know what defense is yet. I mean, it can be taught, but thats one of the main reasons he dropped. That and his size.

Barnaby 07-28-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
The reason is he doesn't have that great of an offensive instinct and he's going to college for the 2005-2006 season I believe. So it'll be a long wait for him as well.

But he is one fo the fastest skaters in the draft and has some of the most heart also. He always is the guy to go down first to block a shot and gives 110% every shift.

Great, great kid to have in the organization.

Awesome. A lightning fast player with heart. Sounds like a great late-round pick. If everything works out he migth be a nice 3rd line compliment to Murray.

Maybe we have a Foote-Helminen/Graham-Murray line in our future.

Just think - if we add Crosby or Brule next draft then our farm system would finally look good enough to make us an eventual contender.

Bird Law 07-28-2004 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Awesome. A lightning fast player with heart. Sounds like a great late-round pick. If everything works out he migth be a nice 3rd line compliment to Murray.

Maybe we have a Foote-Helminen/Graham-Murray line in our future.

Just think - if we add Crosby or Brule next draft then our farm system would finally look good enough to make us an eventual contender.

And honestly, I think that that would be one of the most solid third lines in the league once everyone matured. I didn't think he'd drop as far as he did, and I'm very thankful for it...

NYR469 07-28-2004 02:11 PM

thing to watch with foote is if his speed is effected as he fills out...he's a bit on the thin side right now, but with a 6'4 frame he could easily fill out to 220lb. if he does that and doesn't lose his speed he could really be something

Bird Law 07-28-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
thing to watch with foote is if his speed is effected as he fills out...he's a bit on the thin side right now, but with a 6'4 frame he could easily fill out to 220lb. if he does that and doesn't lose his speed he could really be something

Especially since he's always running around hitting everything in sight.

Barnaby 07-28-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
Well, he doesn't really know what defense is yet. I mean, it can be taught, but thats one of the main reasons he dropped. That and his size.

Yea, I remember Edge giving us good reports on Dubinsky. If we stock up on enough of this caliber player then a few should make it.

Rev,

Any idea what the Rangers like so much about Byers? It doesn't seem like he's that great a pick considering some of the others who were available.

NYR469 07-28-2004 02:43 PM

byers is similar to garth murray...mckeens picked him as the best agitator in the draft.

so i'd put him as being more like tucker than dubinsky

Barnaby 07-28-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
byers is similar to garth murray...mckeens picked him as the best agitator in the draft.

so i'd put him as being more like tucker than dubinsky

Thats something at least. I had just read two articles on Byers - neither were that good. It seems like we would have been better off taking a shot on Lyamin or a forward that was more risk/reward considering our number of players who could be 3rd/4th liners.

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-28-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
byers is similar to garth murray...mckeens picked him as the best agitator in the draft.

so i'd put him as being more like tucker than dubinsky

Dubinsky has skill and I dont think Byers does. I think Byers would be like Stars Aaron Downey.

NYR469 07-28-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Dubinsky has skill and I dont think Byers does. I think Byers would be like Stars Aaron Downey.

he has skill but is he an agitator?? he'd have to be to make the comparison to tucker work

Kodiak 07-28-2004 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
Especially since he's always running around hitting everything in sight.

Rev, is Foote one of the players that you've seen play? I'm a bit skeptical about the reports I've read. If Foote was really big, fast, physical, and good defensively, then he would have gone in the 2nd or 3rd round, regardless of how far off he was. There has to be a catch that made him drop as far as he did. If I had to guess, I'd say he isn't as physical as the reports make him out to be or that he lacks hockey sense. But I've never seen him play. This is just me trying to read between the lines.

Bird Law 07-28-2004 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodiak
Rev, is Foote one of the players that you've seen play? I'm a bit skeptical about the reports I've read. If Foote was really big, fast, physical, and good defensively, then he would have gone in the 2nd or 3rd round, regardless of how far off he was. There has to be a catch that made him drop as far as he did. If I had to guess, I'd say he isn't as physical as the reports make him out to be or that he lacks hockey sense. But I've never seen him play. This is just me trying to read between the lines.

He is one of the guys, yeah. I haven't seen nearly as much this year as other years. Maybe about half as much, but he was one of the few that I had actually a chance to see.

He's a sparklplug. One of the reasons he dropped is that most teams feel he really has little room to improve his offense. He really doesn't have much in terms of offense. Like I said, he resembles Draper without that offensive touch. He's running around constantly on someone and making sure they don't get a good chance.

I think he was also overlooked since he's going to be graduating college in 2010. That's a long time to wait for a player if we let him spend the full time in school, and sometimes something like that scares a team off of someone who is more of a middle of the road prospect such as Foote.

cagney 07-28-2004 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
he has skill but is he an agitator?? he'd have to be to make the comparison to tucker work

I haven't seen Dubinsky but I've read that in additon to his offensive skills, he has a tendency of getting under the opponents skin.

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-28-2004 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagney
I haven't seen Dubinsky but I've read that in additon to his offensive skills, he has a tendency of getting under the opponents skin.

look at his pim and ive read that he was compared to darcy tucker. I think that is the right comparison. Tucker had good numbers in juniors too. Heck Darcy Tucker played on the same team as Shane Doan and Tucker had better numbers than Doan in juniors.

kazo 07-29-2004 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Dubinsky has skill and I dont think Byers does. I think Byers would be like Stars Aaron Downey.

I like his bloodlines. Lyndon was one of the better fighters around in his day. Dane should fill out to 6'3" around 22. Does he have the talent?

Bluenote13 07-29-2004 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
I like his bloodlines. Lyndon was one of the better fighters around in his day. Dane should fill out to 6'3" around 22. Does he have the talent?

Yeah but also don't forget, Lyndon Byers was hurt MOST of his career and had to retire fairly early. Dane has already gone down at the CHL level with injuries. I'm not very high on this guy, he was one of maybe 3 players i absolutely wanted the Rangers to have nothing to do with. I like his aggressive tendencies, but i don't like the injuries and the fact he forgets what sport he's playing once the puck gets on his stick.

E-Train 07-29-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
look at his pim and ive read that he was compared to darcy tucker. I think that is the right comparison. Tucker had good numbers in juniors too. Heck Darcy Tucker played on the same team as Shane Doan and Tucker had better numbers than Doan in juniors.

Somethings to consider: Tucker is nearly 2 years older than Doan, senior players usually get more ice time, and I doubt Dubinsky can drop the gloves anything close to Tucker. Does Dubinsky even fight at all? Rev, Edge?

dumpsathernow* 07-29-2004 12:51 PM

I've said this many times about players like Byers. You can't expect players like this to help you win more then 4-7 games a year but they must play a lot of mistake free hockey. A player like this needs to play with Murray and Hollweg types who eventually could be like a Barnaby or Nash type. You need to put a player like that will players that run around all game hitting, fighting and starting trouble so their intensity is up. We have lots of players like that in our system. Maybe Byers will pan out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.