HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: How good will Bryzgalov be? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=943627)

Flyerfan808 07-04-2011 04:32 PM

How good will Bryzgalov be?

He carried Phoenix to consecutive playoff berths and lost to the Red Wings both times (understandable).

How well do you think he will fare here in the Atlantic Division?

Will his prescience compensate for the loss of Richards and Carter?
or
Do you feel like with him in goal (and the other acquisitions we've made) we could actually be a better team than last season?

What kind of Stat Projections do you have for Bryzgalov as of right now?

Snipsnap12 07-04-2011 04:55 PM

with our defensive corps he could put up vezina numbers.

I expect atleast 6 shutouts, and 40 wins. Everyone is talking about how we are as good anymore, but with the talent we lost, we still gained a bit of it back. But the main key is now the guys dont have to over compensate for shotty goaltending, they can go out relaxed and press hard, should be a very good team IMO

DrinkFightFlyers 07-04-2011 10:31 PM

I think he'll be among the best in the league. Not necessarily a Vezina finalist (though it isn't out of the question), but I think he'll be in the conversation.

Beef Invictus 07-04-2011 10:34 PM

Well, the defensive corps is getting old, and our forward group sure looks like crap defensively...so he might have a hard time.

He has a huge freaking cap hit though, so he better be damned amazing and make up for the team's defensive deficiencies.

Giroux tha Damaja 07-04-2011 10:40 PM

I think he will be damned good.

sobrien 07-04-2011 10:42 PM

I'll have that in my mind. But I'll also have in my mind that Carter AND Richards were not moved just to clear cap space, there might have been something in the locker room, or the staff wasn't satisfied with how they were playing. I've seen some good points about how the long term deals brought along complacency with them, and ruined a sense of competition and the need for hard work. Plus, Richards played the entire season injured. He could have had the wrist repaired and been back healthy long before the playoffs (I believe). This is similar to Leighton playing injured this season and not telling anyone, and Emery last season doing the same, and playing poorly because of that.

So what I'm trying to say is: it's easy to say we could have done A, B, and C differently...but we as fans may not know the whole story. Carter may have been a salary cap casualty, but there was certainly a reason that Richards was moved...

ONTHEFLYGUY 07-04-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 34662799)
Well, the defensive corps is getting old, and our forward group sure looks like crap defensively...so he might have a hard time.

He has a huge freaking cap hit though, so he better be damned amazing and make up for the team's defensive deficiencies.

Don't hurt yourself falling off the bandwagon

Gibbs18 07-04-2011 11:16 PM

He definatley will put up better numbers than in Phoenix.

Pantokrator 07-04-2011 11:18 PM

If the team defense is healthy, he'll have great numbers. Just look at those Flyer teams with Robert Esche and Cechmanek to see great numbers helped by good team defense.

I am hoping that what he brings is an ability to NOT lose games. I see the goalie's job as not giving up the bad goal that breaks the team's back. I don't expect him to win games, I expect him to not lose games. I think he cannot be as bad as the goaltending was in the playoffs (is it even possible to get worse goaltending?).

Giroux tha Damaja 07-04-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator (Post 34664217)
If the team defense is healthy, he'll have great numbers. Just look at those Flyer teams with Robert Esche and Cechmanek to see great numbers helped by good team defense.

I am hoping that what he brings is an ability to NOT lose games. I see the goalie's job as not giving up the bad goal that breaks the team's back. I don't expect him to win games, I expect him to not lose games. I think he cannot be as bad as the goaltending was in the playoffs (is it even possible to get worse goaltending?).

@ $5.66 million I expect him to win games. At $1.7 million I expect a goalie not to lose games. We had a goalie who didn't lose games for us already.

Bryz4shiz 07-04-2011 11:46 PM

Not good enough

Readyrock 07-05-2011 12:04 AM

Bryzgalov's swag is on a hundred million.

Giroux tha Damaja 07-05-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarfo (Post 34665375)
Bryzgalov's swag is on a hundred million.

I believe you meant "a hundred thousand million".

GoneFullHextall 07-05-2011 12:10 AM

I think he will be fine and may put up a shutout or 2:sarcasm:

GoneFullHextall 07-05-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 (Post 34664969)
Not good enough

of course if we had Vokoun there shouldnt even be a season. they should just give us the Cup:sarcasm:

Beef Invictus 07-05-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY (Post 34664071)
Don't hurt yourself falling off the bandwagon

Sorry I don't blindly buy into the team and accept them as flawless, beautiful snowflakes of hockey perfection.

Wait, I'm not sorry at all.

Mgkibbles 07-05-2011 12:21 AM

Theoretically, Bryz should be very good, but something keeps telling me he'll flop, maybe that's just the paranoid Flyer goaltender side of me.

JABEE 07-05-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 34665845)
Sorry I don't blindly buy into the team and accept them as flawless, beautiful snowflakes of hockey perfection.

Wait, I'm not sorry at all.

Exactly. I hate dealing with the people who can't criticize their own team's decisions and makeup.

FlyerEra2010 07-05-2011 12:30 AM

Honestly, I think he'll be a pretty damn good goalie for us. Vezina, no, but definitely reliable night in and night out which is good enough for me.

MiD 07-05-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 (Post 34664969)
Not good enough

my first thought...

PhillyFlying 07-05-2011 12:44 AM

why you heff to speculate?

RIPRichardsCarter 07-05-2011 12:45 AM

All I'm expecting is more shutouts than last year.

domestique 07-05-2011 12:51 AM

I expect 2 fights and to lead the league with goalie PIMS.... oh wait he isn't Hextall..... still living in 1986.

Seriously, Philly is a tough place for a goalie to play, but he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and can hopefull just focus on his game. I am sure he will put up good numbers.... if not than Homer and Bryz will be ran out of the city on rails with Ed Snider casting all the blame on Paul.

Gibbs18 07-05-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter (Post 34666541)
All I'm expecting is more shutouts than last year.

Thats not hard to do at all :help:

PhilaFlyers 07-05-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 34665423)
I believe you meant "a hundred thousand million".

Woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves.