HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fan 590: Lombardi on Fan now (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=944205)

Anthrax442 07-05-2011 11:25 AM

Lombardi on Fan now

Hoping to be ready for the season.

Paris in Flames 07-05-2011 11:29 AM

If a miracle occurs and we actually get use out of Lombardi, I....don't even have words to how badly we won that trade.

Connolly
Grabovski
Lombardi

Sure, it wouldn't have a Richards or Stamkos but that's a serviceable top 3 C.

Budsfan 07-05-2011 11:44 AM

He certainly sounded upbeat and happy to be with the Leafs.

HappyGilmourr 07-05-2011 11:58 AM

you don't need a superstar centre to win. You win with depth at C, and we have that. Teams like New Jersey, the Bruins, Sabres of had sucess without a true number one centre. We just need depth, solid goaltending, and production from other places. Nonnis went out and got a serviceable C for Kessel. He got some point producing defencmen in Franson and Liles which was a glaring weakness. Our bottom 6 will be well improved with Armstrong ready to have a full year and Kadri/Lombardi/ Bozak all depth for a top 9 role.

I expect Connolly to get anywhere between 45-60 points, Expect 55 - 65 out of Grabo and 40 points from one of Bozak or Lombardi depending on who plays.

Boston - Stanley cup champs

Krejci - 62 points
Bergeron - 57 points
Peverley - 41 points

Buffalo:

Connolly - 42 points
Roy - (injured) - 35 points
Gaustad - 31 points

Montreal:

Plekanec - 57 points
Gomez - 38 points
Halpern - 26 points

Bills09 07-05-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozak (Post 34679127)
you don't need a superstar centre to win. You win with depth at C, and we have that. Teams like New Jersey, the Bruins, Sabres of had sucess without a true number one centre. We just need depth, solid goaltending, and production from other places. Nonnis went out and got a serviceable C for Kessel. He got some point producing defencmen in Franson and Liles which was a glaring weakness. Our bottom 6 will be well improved with Armstrong ready to have a full year and Kadri/Lombardi/ Bozak all depth for a top 9 role.

I expect Connolly to get anywhere between 45-60 points, Expect 55 - 65 out of Grabo and 40 points from one of Bozak or Lombardi depending on who plays.

Boston - Stanley cup champs

Krejci - 62 points
Bergeron - 57 points
Peverley - 41 points

Buffalo:

Connolly - 42 points
Roy - (injured) - 35 points
Gaustad - 31 points

Montreal:

Plekanec - 57 points
Gomez - 38 points
Halpern - 26 points

main difference between us and them, those teams have ELITE goaltenders.

Leaf Rocket 07-05-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bills09 (Post 34680205)

heres hoping we have one in our hand.

HoBOonFiRE 07-05-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

And a defensive minded style, where the leafs are more offensive minded

StarBurns RIP 07-05-2011 12:25 PM

From that interview it was pretty clear that Lombardi doesn't believe he'll be playing to start the season. Remember that's still 3 months from now. It sounds like him being able to play at all this season would be a great development.

robr00 07-05-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paris in Flames (Post 34677709)
If a miracle occurs and we actually get use out of Lombardi, I....don't even have words to how badly we won that trade.

Connolly
Grabovski
Lombardi

Sure, it wouldn't have a Richards or Stamkos but that's a serviceable top 3 C.

Still one of the worst in the league without a legit #1

SuperSaiyanBeastmode 07-05-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robr00 (Post 34680761)
Still one of the worst in the league without a legit #1

when your 4th line center has the ability to score 35-40pts... I just don't see how anyone beats that kind of center depth.

Leaf Rocket 07-05-2011 12:39 PM

goal is to be ready by training camp but seems like he doesn't believe it will be but he has the support of the managment. So i would safe to say around october is when he comes back more likely november than anything.

KilPhessel 07-05-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket (Post 34681375)
goal is to be ready by training camp but seems like he doesn't believe it will be but he has the support of the managment. So i would safe to say around october is when he comes back more likely november than anything.

TBH i think realistically he'll be back around christmas time.

Leaf Rocket 07-05-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KilPhessel (Post 34681445)
TBH i think realistically he'll be back around christmas time.

very possible, this isn't just a career thing, it's also a life decision, so i want him to take as much as time needed as much as I want him in our team, his health comes first.

JMcLeaf 07-05-2011 12:43 PM

I love having this guy on NHL 11! So many breakaways with his speed.

Tinalera 07-05-2011 12:45 PM

I have a gut feeling (nothing more) he'll probably be ready to play around Dec or Jan, and that will be just him getting used to everything. Probably won't see his full abilities till 2012-13 season-and he'll have one year left on his contract, and he'll be PLAYING for another contract at that point.

I think right now the Leafs management would be happy to just hear "He's cleared to begin training", nevermind being ready for September.

KingBuzzo 07-05-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcLeaf (Post 34681633)
I love having this guy on NHL 11! So many breakaways with his speed.

Haha, I know. I've got a line of Frattin Lombari and Armstong and it's tearing it up haha.

Mogwai 07-05-2011 12:45 PM

I'd say wait til the new year and make sure you're ready to compete ML.

He could be a great addition to our roster, as he has lots of speed to burn.

Rockinz 07-05-2011 12:49 PM

I think he will miss next year because i think he needs a training camp to get into game shape..

No reason to rush the guy he can go on LTIR for a year and if he is ready for next season lets see how he does.

Clark4Ever 07-05-2011 12:53 PM

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Lombardi's post concussion comeback will go the route of Simon Gagne as opposed to Marc Savard.

If this guy can stay healthy, he will be one of the top 3rd line centres in the league.

legendinblue 07-05-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBurns (Post 34680595)
From that interview it was pretty clear that Lombardi doesn't believe he'll be playing to start the season. Remember that's still 3 months from now. It sounds like him being able to play at all this season would be a great development.

That's disappointing. :(

Leaf Rocket 07-05-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark4Ever (Post 34682279)
Let's keep our fingers crossed that Lombardi's post concussion comeback will go the route of Simon Gagne as opposed to Marc Savard.

If this guy can stay healthy, he will be one of the top 3rd line centres in the league.

good example, completely forgot about gagne. but yea he did come back but even then not as great as he was.

Homebrew76 07-05-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

The game is played on both ends of the ice.

Canucks: 3.15 Goals per game. 2.2 Goals against per game.
Bruins: 2.98 Goals per game. 2.3 Goals against per game.

The leafs have a ways to go to catch up in either category.

glucker 07-05-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark4Ever (Post 34682279)

Lets say Bergeron instead of Gagne

Fiery 07-05-2011 01:55 PM

Didn't Matthew Lombardi centre Jarome Iginla when he was with the Flames?

Ari91 07-05-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBurns (Post 34680595)

I haven't heard this particular interview but when I listened to his phone conference on the leafs site, there was a particular answer where his response started off with 'If' and then he said 'when' I return....and I immediately felt sad to hear that. And it wasn't because I was thinking of what the Leafs will be missing out on not being able to reap the benefits of his talent, I felt sad because this is his livelihood and something that he loves doing. It must be scary and really disheartening at times when you so badly want to see improvement only to feel those symptoms come on or a doctor tell you you aren't ready yet.

It would be really inspiring to see him make a comeback ala Bergeron and I would hope that when he does (I'm going to be optimistic here), the fans in the building let him know that we're glad to have him here.