HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   True or false: Preds Offense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=944573)

Stranger 07-05-2011 05:02 PM

True or false: Preds Offense

True or False: The Predators can win the Stanley Cup with the current group of offensive talent.

If false, what should the Predators do to address this?

Dave is a killer 07-05-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 34697491)
True or False: The Predators can win the Stanley Cup with the current group of offensive talent.

False, use assets that we've accumulated over the past couple of years to fix those holes

I Will Son 07-05-2011 05:06 PM

False.

We need to man up and make the deal for the last piece of the puzzle. 1 damn piece.

SmokeyClause 07-05-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Realistically, it's very false. The Preds need a lot more goal scoring or else they'll need a lot more luck.

Preds Partisan 07-05-2011 05:20 PM

True....if you believe it when Trotz says we only need 82 goals to go undefeated at 1-0 each game.

False...if you live in the real world.

roseyc 07-05-2011 05:29 PM

False

If you go back our leading scorers have been Sk, Hornqvist,Arnott and beyond shows that we can't get consistent top notch scoring either from over hyped to injuries to flukes. We need a top notch scorer to count on despite what Trotz thinks. When you say you score by committe means that you can't count on a top scorer to duplicate the year in and year out that this is what we are going to get. If we did then whether Erat or Legwand scores their up and down scoring wouldn't be as difficult as it is.

deanwormer 07-05-2011 05:44 PM

Well, if we couldn't get past VAN last year not sure how the crew as currently rostered scores enough to do it. We've lost 47 goals from the 4 Fs and Franson; full seasons from Fish, Orly, and Blum make back 30 (all using last years numbers). Poile has to find 17 goals from his salvage projects (bergfors, etc) and whoever replaces SOB; all other things equal, that's last years totals. That seems doable, and with another good season with Peks, we're competitive in the conf, but probably not the division.

Add a 20 goal scorer - which we should have space to do and should be able to find without even dealing any assets. That moves us up just outside top 10 in scoring (based on last year). The much wished-for Semin type guy puts us into top 10. However, not sure we've got that assets to do that - there's not an FA available at that level and we'd have to give up a piece that we're counting on to get back to last year's level; net result probably not different in O total, so question becomes does dynamic scorer like Semin eventually yield more impact?

me? - we can be outside top 10 in scoring, but not below the mid-point, if we wanna' have a shot at going deeper than round 2. I take whoever will help fix the PP, but I don't see how Poile can go without signing a reliable 18-25 goal scorer if we wanna' shot at going further.

BourqueBourqueBork 07-05-2011 05:47 PM

True.

with a tremendous amount of good luck.

Realistically, we need a couple of consistent goal scorers -- guys that have a shoot first mentality, and don't wait around for the whistle to make sure the puck is in the back of the net.

I don't think we're so far off that it's impossible with the current group...but we'll have to see the majority of the boys stay healthy throughout the season, and see tremendous improvement in Colin Wilson's game (all the way around), as well as the emergence of other guys in the system. SK (assuming he's resigned) would have to equal, if not exceed his performance from last season, and actually attempt to score a goal in the playoffs. Bergfors will need to be SK2.0. Toots will have to focus on his offensive game, like he did for a good bit of the stretch run, and guys like Spaling, Halischuk, and Geoffrion will need to relentlessly compete with each other for ice time.

Basically, the current group isn't your traditional lines of 1-2-3-4. If they play to their potential, it's more like two second lines and two third lines. Well-rounded, but nothing elite or overly fancy.

What could end up helping more than anything is winning the division...

roseyc 07-05-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanwormer (Post 34699565)
Well, if we couldn't get past VAN last year not sure how the crew as currently rostered scores enough to do it. We've lost 47 goals from the 4 Fs and Franson; full seasons from Fish, Orly, and Blum make back 30 (all using last years numbers). Poile has to find 17 goals from his salvage projects (bergfors, etc) and whoever replaces SOB; all other things equal, that's last years totals. That seems doable, and with another good season with Peks, we're competitive in the conf, but probably not the division.

Add a 20 goal scorer - which we should have space to do and should be able to find without even dealing any assets. That moves us up just outside top 10 in scoring (based on last year). The much wished-for Semin type guy puts us into top 10. However, not sure we've got that assets to do that - there's not an FA available at that level and we'd have to give up a piece that we're counting on to get back to last year's level; net result probably not different in O total, so question becomes does dynamic scorer like Semin eventually yield more impact?

me? - we can be outside top 10 in scoring, but not below the mid-point, if we wanna' have a shot at going deeper than round 2. I take whoever will help fix the PP, but I don't see how Poile can go without signing a reliable 18-25 goal scorer if we wanna' shot at going further.

nice post and I agree

OpenWheel 07-05-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvols (Post 34699705)
Realistically, we need a couple of consistent goal scorers -- guys that have a shoot first mentality, and don't wait around for the whistle to make sure the puck is in the back of the net.

This is the goal scoring breakout year for Legwand and Erat. 28, 28, and 30 for Hornqvist.

Hey, what's a man without big dreams. :)

roseyc 07-05-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenWheel (Post 34700113)
This is the goal scoring breakout year for Legwand and Erat. 28, 28, and 30 for Hornqvist.

Nightmares!!

cleangene 07-05-2011 06:59 PM

I believe the people at Wendy's are behind all of these latest moves from GMDP; "we gave away too many Frosty's last season, so drop that number even more!!!!"

BourqueBourqueBork 07-05-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenWheel (Post 34700113)

Legwand scores 28....6 from behind the net, 12 from the side, and 10 on shorthanded breakaways.:nod:

cleangene 07-05-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvols (Post 34706269)
Legwand scores 28....6 from behind the net, 12 from the side, and 10 on shorthanded breakaways.:nod:

Are you sure that won't be 12 empty netters????

BourqueBourqueBork 07-05-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleangene (Post 34706485)
Are you sure that won't be 12 empty netters????

Nah...don't get me wrong, I'm sure Legwand will have a breakout year...but the addition of 12 empty netters to give him 40 goals is just a little too much of a stretch for me.;)

Stranger 07-30-2011 12:53 AM

So far Poile seems to agree with us saying that he is looking for that elusive top 6 forward. Offseason isn't over yet but Poile has made comments that he is content on waiting to see if he can swing another "Fisher" deal.

At least he agrees we need more offense.

PredsV82 07-30-2011 05:15 AM

The answer to the question is "true but unlIkely". Anytime you have a great goalie you have a chance to win a series, be it round one or four. And for those who say we dont need another Fisher i think poile just means an established player not literally another 2 way center

Firestorm 07-30-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

No offense, but you know what everyone is going to say in this question (False of course).

glenngineer 07-30-2011 08:55 AM

False and I still think it comes down to an improved PP. Get into the 17-18% range and we're in good shape.

SavageSteve 07-30-2011 09:37 AM

true. despite it all, it all comes down to goaltending, defense, and the ability to cash in on opportunities that present themselves. If we use the logic I see most have here that we need a top 10 power play, several 20 goal scorers, etc., then Vancouver and Tampa or Philly should have squared off for the Cup w/ Boston bowing out early. The Bruins win gave me hope we were on the right track and makes me optimistic going forward.

barrytrotzsneck 07-30-2011 09:52 AM

True.

I think as it stands now, we can continue to be "good"-- consistent playoff threat, maybe even win a round--but I think we'll struggle to get to the next level. We've shown that we're capable of shutting most any team's offense down, but also that a good defensive team will wipe us out. And I think some of that is personnel, but also partly tactical.

SpeedDemon 07-30-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

I'd say false. If our D gets better we might go 2 rounds again but the era of the trap is over. A top 6 forward and true number would definitely be a welcome AND a saving grace

BigFatCat999 07-30-2011 10:24 AM

False the Preds don't have offense....

Oh wait that's not the question. All honesty, the Preds need a 30 goal scorer. Bergfors and R. Ellis could make things interesting if they live up to potiential.

brah 07-30-2011 11:16 AM

False, it's been hammered over and over again that you need atleast a top 15 defense and a top 10 offense to win the cup per past winning teams. We were good enough defensively to win but no where near good enough offensively, 20-something.

preds1 07-30-2011 12:38 PM

Obviously false. As a fan I'm a bit disappointed we haven't addressed the offense/PP yet. Surprised, no.....diasappointed yes. In time perhaps.

All opinion based though; still have a good team that can compete with the best of 'em.