HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Alex Semin Question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=944851)

wings5 07-05-2011 11:46 PM

Alex Semin Question

Maybe a bit off topic but I thought someone here could answer this, was Semin really 5'11 175 when drafted or was this a typo? I'm also thinking since he is from Russia they may not have had any measurements and there was some unfamiliarity.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ft_evaluation/

Dirtbag59 07-05-2011 11:52 PM

It's possible. Some men can grow till they're 25. Most stop around 21 or 22.

BrooklynCapsFan 07-05-2011 11:56 PM

Semin was stick skinny as a rookie, but I really don't recall him being short on the ice.

EroCaps 07-06-2011 12:09 AM

It wouldn't surprise me. Semin looks taller than he did his rookie season.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 07-06-2011 06:29 AM

I thought he grew 3-4 inches in his RSL time. I remember him being much smaller pre-lockout than post.

Slappy 07-06-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 34718617)
I thought he grew 3-4 inches in his RSL time. I remember him being much smaller pre-lockout than post.

Roids ;)

HOLDITHERE 07-06-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slappy (Post 34719011)
Roids ;)

Beat me to it.

Anyone remember his breif roid rage at the end of last season? They guy actually got physical for the last few weeks.

Nah. I love Semin. And I'm tired of all these mean trade rumors :(

Borjes Baumingdyk 07-06-2011 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=ainsoph;34722529]Beat me to it.

Anyone remember his breif roid rage at the end of last season? They guy actually got physical for the last few weeks.

do you remember his fight a couple of years ago, he must have been on estrogen then........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk1AX9YBp2A

CapitalsCupFantasy 07-06-2011 01:20 PM

I always remember him as tall and skinny.

usiel 07-06-2011 01:51 PM

I remember the his first training camp back after the lockout and the fact that he had grown to 6'2 was a definite shock (a good one)

wings5 07-06-2011 02:42 PM

Looking at it now the season he left back to Russia he was 19 years old of course 20 by March. He came back after three seasons at 22-23, so all those years in Russia going undetected, very possible to grow at age 19-23. Just don't expect that much growth.

Dirtbag59 07-06-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 34714149)
Semin was stick skinny as a rookie, but I really don't recall him being short on the ice.

Eso me dijo ella!

ChibiPooky 07-06-2011 02:46 PM

Cuantas lenguas hablas? :P

Dirtbag59 07-06-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiPooky (Post 34737405)
Cuantas lenguas hablas? :P

Yo quiero aprender tres, incluyendo inglés. Sin embargo, sé que sólo una idioma. Ingles. Mi español está llegando a lo largo de :D

Borjes Baumingdyk 07-06-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 (Post 34744219)
Yo quiero aprender tres, incluyendo inglés. Sin embargo, sé que sólo una idioma. Ingles. Mi español está llegando a lo largo de :D

escuchar, hablar en Inglés solamente, porque si no puedo hablar mi idioma materno francés (mis mensajes fueron borrados), entonces no se debe permitir que hablan un idioma eso no es tuyo.
Yo sé hablar un poco de varios idiomas
:p:

Fallschirmyager 07-06-2011 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=SmythesMinions;34722721]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ainsoph (Post 34722529)
Beat me to it.

do you remember his fight a couple of years ago, he must have been on estrogen then........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk1AX9YBp2A

I still say the same thing. Whats worse? Throwing punches like a girl or getting your ass kicked by a guy who throws punches like a girl?

Word has it he also had a more traditional punching fight with Biron a few years back

RandyHolt 07-06-2011 07:52 PM

Pretty sure Semin was only 15 when we drafted him. That would explain a lot.

I am joking.

I like Semin. He is one of our scrappier forwards. At least he dropped the gloves. That's a helluva lot more than the brassiere snapping the rest of his teammates do on their best nights. Semin rallied the team versus the Flyers. He has a breaking point. I like that in a player.

FrankM73 07-06-2011 09:23 PM

I met Semin through my hockey playing buddies at F'Fax Ice Arena back in his draft year when we had a Tpaktop team there and then Team CCCP... and yes, he was even more shy then, skinny (about 175 and about no taller than 6'

so yes, I can attest that he was indeed just about the stats you are asking about.

usiel 07-06-2011 10:19 PM

Always been a fan of Semin even before hoping the caps would draft him. He has always been a streaky scorer since the beginning. I think many here bash him for not showing up but a streaky player is a streaky player. Wouldn't have gotten past the Rangers this past season without him. He was great on the PK for the first half of the season or so. He was taken off the 2nd half I can't remember why. Maybe an injury issue.

MugCostanza 07-13-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmythesMinions (Post 34748041)
escuchar, hablar en Inglés solamente, porque si no puedo hablar mi idioma materno francés (mis mensajes fueron borrados), entonces no se debe permitir que hablan un idioma eso no es tuyo.

Mis avios de pesca esta en la cocina

ChibiPooky 07-13-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmythesMinions (Post 34748041)

bon on pourra parler en francais un peu, je m'en fous. Perreault nous entenderait :naughty:

BobRouse 07-14-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 34749437)
Pretty sure Semin was only 15 when we drafted him. That would explain a lot.

I am joking.

I like Semin. He is one of our scrappier forwards. At least he dropped the gloves. That's a helluva lot more than the brassiere snapping the rest of his teammates do on their best nights. Semin rallied the team versus the Flyers. He has a breaking point. I like that in a player.

100% he did. He was our best player and he started the shift in momentum in that series. The last 4 games the ice was tilted. After he started scrapping and pushing back then alot of other players did too including Backstrom who crosschecked Upshall (?..maybe it was Richards) in the face blatently after a whistle.

RandyHolt 07-14-2011 07:38 AM

Gracias por getting this thread back into English.

Maybe Semin will be a captain one day in Russia 10 years from now. Sure it was one time, but it was huge. And it got me to a game 7 for the first time in a long time. We won the bongo game too FWIW. The way the team rallied behind him in that Flyers series, you can't teach that stuff. Either it happens naturally or not at all. I dont remember the Nick cross check, but I remember Erskine got on board too with the enough was enough, if we lose, its on our terms. And our defensemen collectively even started clearing the crease with authority. Something we havent done in playoffs since.

txpd 07-14-2011 07:41 AM

when it comes down to it, semin is one of the hardest players i can recall to correctly understand. he's supposed to be a playoff fail. yet many of the caps biggest goals have come off his stick. most of the caps playoff wins have come with at least one goal from him.

he's supposed to be soft, yet he's very scrappy and scrappiest when its biggest.

he's supposed to be a defensively liability, but he's arguably the bst pk'r on the squad.

he has his problems. there's no question. but it seems that what they are often manifest in a different way than the reality

RandyHolt 07-14-2011 07:54 AM

Semin is all over the board. Player of the month in the entire NHL to pulling your hair out knowing that the hooking call is coming in 3.. 2.. 1. People now just seem like we have to react to everything we see or hear, and he brings out the full range of reactions, usually in every single game. Perhaps that's why so many want to trade him, they dont want to deal with the roller coaster of emotions.

Goal scoring is not a simple science. It's dynamic, not static and predictable. He is such a dynamic player, you get to see the extremes. People call it being inconsistent. He must be one of the most dynamic players in the league. I personally find his game very entertaining.